PDA

View Full Version : Premier League - who will win?

Gypsy
03-08-2010, 17:52
Charity Shield this weekend, which means one more week until the new season starts; so who will win?

Will Statler & Waldorf still own Liverpool, or will somebody who gives a rats arse take them over?

Has the Ferg magic run out along with the Glaser's money? Doubtful.

Can Ancelotti prevent Chelsea winning again? I think he will.

Will the mega bucks spent on all those almost great players help Man City to the title? Answer, No, but it would be great to see them have a go at it.

Can Tottingham repeat last year's 4th place while ducking and diving round the continent?

What do you think?

dontcallme
03-08-2010, 18:11
It's going to be an interesting season at the top. I think Chelsea and Man Utd are by far the strongest sides in the league and I predict Chelsea will do it again.

Tottenham haven't bought anyone of note except Sandro but have kept onto their best players and that consistency can help them maintain their good form. Man City have as strong a squad as anyone but games aren't won on paper and top four is their best hope for now. If either of these sides can get in the top four again then the natural order has been unsettled and Liverpool might find themselves in a very difficult situation. I still think Liverpool will be better this season than some are predicting though.

Gypsy
03-08-2010, 18:42
It's going to be an interesting season at the top. I think Chelsea and Man Utd are by far the strongest sides in the league and I predict Chelsea will do it again.

Tottenham haven't bought anyone of note except Sandro but have kept onto their best players and that consistency can help them maintain their good form. Man City have as strong a squad as anyone but games aren't won on paper and top four is their best hope for now. If either of these sides can get in the top four again then the natural order has been unsettled and Liverpool might find themselves in a very difficult situation. I still think Liverpool will be better this season than some are predicting though.

Interesting that you think ManU are a strong side. I think they are nothing special with very little depth - but - they have Lord Ferg who is worth an extra player. He keeps them up there by force of will alone. I think had Ancelotti been any good Chelsea would have won the league by 15 points and only his incompetence kept ManU in the hunt.

Liverpool will be Top 4 I think - Hodgson is everything the duplicitous Benitez was not - honest and knowledgeable, and players enjoy playing for him. Now Torres has committed himself for another season I think they'll do well.

You didn't mention The Arse. Neither did I mind. What about them?

dontcallme
03-08-2010, 18:55
Interesting that you think ManU are a strong side. I think they are nothing special with very little depth - but - they have Lord Ferg who is worth an extra player. He keeps them up there by force of will alone. I think had Ancelotti been any good Chelsea would have won the league by 15 points and only his incompetence kept ManU in the hunt.

Liverpool will be Top 4 I think - Hodgson is everything the duplicitous Benitez was not - honest and knowledgeable, and players enjoy playing for him. Now Torres has committed himself for another season I think they'll do well.

You didn't mention The Arse. Neither did I mind. What about them?

Man Utd are always a strong team. Many teams around them wouldn't want the likes of O'Shea, Wes Brown and Park Ji Sung but SAF knows how to use them properly. They'll continue to be strong in the league and are way ahead of Arsenal and Liverpool but will struggle in Europe.

I have no idea where you got "had Ancelotti been any good Chelsea would have won the league by 15 points and only his incompetence kept ManU in the hunt" from. Man Utd got 85 points last season which is consistent with their average points total.

Arsenal will be the same as usual. They'll go through good spells and everyone will go OTT with them and they'll go thorugh bad spells where people will tell them they lack English courage and bulldog spirit which is about as ridiculous a sporting statement as there'll ever be. At the end of the season they'll be slightly below Chelsea and Man Utd and slightly above the 3 wannabes.

Liverpool will be back to what they were two seasons ago but their competition is tougher and they'll be on par with Spurs and Man City. Injuries will be a deciding factor on who comes out on top.

Gypsy
03-08-2010, 19:08
I think Ancelotti is the Emperors new clothes - just do not rate him at all. Chelsea should have won the league at a stroll. It was a poor season with clubs falling over themselves to lose it. Look at the number of games they lost - 6, and who to?

Ancelotti will be found out this year.

The Arse will do well, significantly stronger team if they can keep Fabregas - if he leaves they have a problem. It would be nice to see them win - a kick in the teeth for ManU, Chelsea etc who buy the title.

martpark
03-08-2010, 21:14
I think Arsenal and Chelsea will be strongest. Utd are always up there but haven't bought anything special. Liverpool will do better than last year but top four will be difficult. Tottenham will have troubles balancing Europe and the League. Don't know if Harry has the experience. City will be a bit of a mystery. Usually they do ok until Xmas and then a drop off in performance in the second half or vice versa. Yaya Toure may help steady the ship.

Villa and Everton will be sniffing around to upset the ship also.

The big question of course is...How will Blackpool do?

Gypsy
03-08-2010, 21:39
I think Arsenal and Chelsea will be strongest. Utd are always up there but haven't bought anything special. Liverpool will do better than last year but top four will be difficult. Tottenham will have troubles balancing Europe and the League. Don't know if Harry has the experience. City will be a bit of a mystery. Usually they do ok until Xmas and then a drop off in performance in the second half or vice versa. Yaya Toure may help steady the ship.

Premier League Blackpool - still looks odd when you see it written down. And I cannot wait for Ian Holloway's press conferences.

I can still remember seeing them when they were last in the top flight.

Matt24
03-08-2010, 21:53

I think it's Chelsea to repeat the same double as last year with a strong second half of results and less than entertaining first half of the season with plenty of clean sheets, but nothing too spectacular - I think the January transfer window will be very special this year, as Citeh get off to a flying start and Chelsea and Man Utd try and buy themselves back into the race - I think Liverpool will have a horrible start and Gerrard and Alonso will be mid winter movers - I think Cesc will also find himself in Barca before the spring - I think Spurs, Villa and the Gooners will fight it out for places 4,5 & 6, and Everton will knock Liverpool out of 7th and they might have a bit of a challenge with strongly consistent Blackburn and Fulham performances throughout the season, to land in the top 9.

I think the EPL will be dreadful in Europe this year, with the only real showing coming from Chelsea, but my tea leaves do not suggest them actually winning anything. Despite my predictions I will make multiple bets on the Blues winning all and every competition they're in this season, and I'll be heartily depressed by tea time on Saturday as the Charity Shield makes its way back to Manchester.

Blackpool straight back down

Just a guess

Matt

Gypsy
03-08-2010, 22:33
Matt - Alonso a mover from Liverpool? You've lost me. He went to Real a while ago. Is there another one?

Matt24
03-08-2010, 22:44
Matt - Alonso a mover from Liverpool? You've lost me. He went to Real a while ago. Is there another one?

D'oh! I meant Torres, heat stroke & stupidity my only excuses, sorry

martpark
03-08-2010, 22:57
With a few footy fans on this site it might be a good idea to have a Fantasy League. I've done the official www.premierleague.com with Man City fans the last few years and it's easy to master and a thrill a minute to those interested in footy. So I'll set up a league and anyone can join..it's free if you're wondering.

Gypsy
03-08-2010, 22:59
D'oh! I meant Torres, heat stroke & stupidity my only excuses, sorry

If LFC are not within a whisker of 4th I would agree (but I think they'll be 3rd)- but where would he go? Barca are trying to offload Ibra, so they have decided to go in a different direction, although a little more directness wouldn't hurt them sometimes. He would never go to Real - so who is there? Milan is a possibility, they are light up front.

$tevie Me would have gone this summer if anyone had bid for him, but they didn't, so he'll stay.

I think something interesting with Kaka is in the air. He isn't wanted by the Big Girls' Blouses and they do want Cole, and Carvalho. Sounds like a deal in there somewhere.

Gypsy
03-08-2010, 23:00
With a few footy fans on this site it might be a good idea to have a Fantasy League. I've done the official www.premierleague.com with Man City fans the last few years and it's easy to master and a thrill a minute to those interested in footy. So I'll set up a league and anyone can join..it's free if you're wondering.

Good man - it's not true what that Carbo says about you. :)

martpark
03-08-2010, 23:29
Ok the reference number and league name on www.premierleague.com:

765996-173786

Expat Rules

(like Ozzie Rules, geddit? Well, it was all I could think of on short notice.)

I'll set up a new thread also to get more partakers.

martpark
04-08-2010, 01:25
Good man - it's not true what that Carbo says about you. :)

Low carbo diets are healthier they say but I don't know who they are exactly. :)

Gypsy
04-08-2010, 10:20
Low carbo diets are healthier they say but I don't know who they are exactly. :)

Yeah - we got a memo from "them" saying that we weren't to tell you. :)

IGIT
04-08-2010, 12:58
I think it will be tough to predict this year but well, Chelsea can win it. I'd be very happy. :10293:

Judge
04-08-2010, 13:11
If I was a betting man my money would be on Chelsea winning the league..
Man Utd haven't bought anyone decent in after they sold Ronaldo,Rooney if he's off form or gets injured Man U will find it hard to score goals.
Arsenal look good,keeping their main players will make them stronger and more experience this tie..
Liverpool,I think everyone will be suprised by Lpool this season,if Lpool is in with a shout after January then a good challenge for the league can be expected..No Champs league this time for Lpool, this good be a blessing .