PDA

View Full Version : Pets in Moscow

Judystaylor
27-05-2005, 03:41
Please give me any information on pets in apartments in Moscow. I have two large dogs and one cat. Will I be able to find an apartment that would allow them? Any help would be appreciated.

Benedikt
27-05-2005, 10:22
..it will be harder if you RENT, the owners for sure will want to have a deposit of 2-3 month rent to cover any damage to furniture, etc, that your pets will / may cause.
for the rest, like all over the world, pets should have been inocculated agains, whatever there is needed, rabies, ticks, etc.
let your pets wear a collar and a little tag with the address in it, should they get 'lost' people will call you as muscovites / russians are generally more kind to lost animals than lost people...
food is no problem, you can buy your whiskas/ kitekat/ chappy.
going for walks i think is easier here in town (maybe except in the direct center) there are green parks / parts of parks, etc, where you can walk the dogs and they can mess all over the place, no law, yet, like in vienna, where you have to clean up of face a fine.
if you have large dogs, make sure you have insurance, if they bite someone, it is also expensive here and newspapers are AGAINST dogowners. it is different of course if it is a poor stray dog, they are NEVER at fault, it is the people...
should you need a vet, god forbid, they are here as good or as bad as anywhere in the world, suppose the same as 'people' doctors...

equalizer
27-05-2005, 11:57
Please give me any information on pets in apartments in Moscow. I have two large dogs and one cat. Will I be able to find an apartment that would allow them? Any help would be appreciated.
i am sorry to make the following comments as usually l like to help,but i find it selfish and irresponsible for anyone to have 2 dogs and a cat in an apartment in Moscow .perhaps one big dog ,but two and a cat .
1 you have neighbors ,they will love the noise,and as a foreigner they will probably complain to the municipal admin ,who can force you relocate the animals
2 living in he centre ,where are your dogs going to do their business, and are you willing to clean it up.in most building areas the only place for them is in the kids play area,and if i saw a someone with two big dogs in the kids areas i would be the first to call the militsa ,
3 take the easy variant and responsible one rent a house in the country,it will cost a bit more but make everyones lives easier

jules
27-05-2005, 17:09
Lots of people have pets here, and if you plan to work in town I disagree that a house in the country is the way to go - the traffic is too bad, and you couldn't return home often to walk the dogs. With cats it's not a big deal, they don't need to be walked 4 times a day. If there will be someone home all day every day, then sure, living outside the centre would be best.

You can get a big enough place with permission to have pets as long as you have the money to afford it. Our landlady agreed to allow our three cats as long as we agreed to pay for any repairs to anything that the cats damaged (scratched wallpaper & upholstery, mainly).

Judystaylor
27-05-2005, 17:27
Pets in an apartment sounds like it would be difficult, but I have had these dogs for eleven years and could not leave them. They are inside dogs and are not usually barkers. My husband will be working in Moscow in the downtown area and I will stay home. The problem is just what someone stated, if you live outside Moscow, travel into the city could be difficult as we do not plan to have a car. Again thanks for your help and any other suggestions that you may have are always appreciated.

equalizer
27-05-2005, 18:00
Pets in an apartment sounds like it would be difficult, but I have had these dogs for eleven years and could not leave them. They are inside dogs and are not usually barkers. My husband will be working in Moscow in the downtown area and I will stay home. The problem is just what someone stated, if you live outside Moscow, travel into the city could be difficult as we do not plan to have a car. Again thanks for your help and any other suggestions that you may have are always appreciated.
what breed are he dogs

edashkova
27-05-2005, 18:13
I don't think you should worry too much about this, as you will not be a single person in Moscow who has big dogs in apartment. If you rent an apartment in the center but close to Boulevard Ring (for example) - you will get enough space to walk with them. If outside of Garden Ring - more trees and space.
As for the landlords - if it is not exclusive apartment (with frescos, furniture of XVI century etc) - you will be welcome with all your animals. Moscovites prefer foreigners as tenants and mostly like animals. Good Luck.

Judystaylor
27-05-2005, 18:48
They are mixed breed dogs that I adopted. One is a lab mix and one is smaller mixed breed, maybe corgie. One weights about 70 lbs and the other 40 lbs. The cat was also adobted and a mixed breed, but beautiful.

I appreciate your help and hope that my pets will be welcome, if not, then maybe Moscow is not the place for us, as I will not give them away. They have moved around with us and are good plane travelers and love cold weather as one was found while living in Connecticut. The cat of course never goes outside so she does not know the difference.

rmo6767
28-05-2005, 08:12
Hi, I have been working in Moscow off and on for the better part of around 10 years now and have always traveled with my pets to Moscow, Used to have a blac Lab, and a German Shepard. Now we have a little mixed dog, Also our last trip here we traveled with two cats. Never had any troubles here, always have rented a pplace in the center more or less. Truth is, Moscow has plently of parks even in the center to walk your dogs. True you should not walk your dog in the children's park, but there are a few apartments that have a dog park near by and if not there are enough outside parks or green areas you can walk them, but yes kep a poop a scooper near by at hand if possible.

There are many people here in Moscow living in apartments that have very large dogs, in fact in my last building it seems the larger they are the better it is. You will manage just fine. It is true that finding an apartment these days is harder then it used to be if you have pets, however, I am not sure you will need to pay 2-3 months deposit, but you may end up with more traditional style apartment then a newly renovated one, which can be fun and a nice cultural experience for your family.

There are also people here who can watch your animals for you when you are on vacation, etc. I am American and as I said at the start, I have been doing this for more then 10 years here and have never had one problem with pets, well accept that they can get over zealous in the snow.

Mrs. Reboni
28-05-2005, 10:22
Judy, Don't worry...you sound as if you are already beginning to panic.

We were in the same predicament. Moscow is very dog friendly, unlike the US where renting an apartment is IMPOSSIBLE if you have a large dog. So relax, you can bring them with you. It all depends where your husband will work. Will he be taking the metro alot or will he have a driver? We found a cottage out of town but it'll only take my husband 15 minutes to get to work, so solutions are possible. One of you should go ahead to Moscow, and find a place which can take time, and then start the moving process. What is your renatl budget like, is the company paying? Do you have kids? I know this info if personal, and if you would prefer, send me a personal message (PM) and I can try to help you as much as I can. I know how frustrating it can be. I am a mom, and also have two dogs which I would never leave behind, so I know how you feel. Give me details and maybe I can help.