PDA

View Full Version : Customs Question -read before you roll your eyes!

Mrs. Reboni
26-05-2005, 17:15
I have read every post the last two months related to moving to moscow, and have gotten great advice...thank to all......BUT I need to know.....How hard is Customs? We are bringing our personal effects in a 20ft container, furniture, stereo's etc etc. Plus two Dogs (not in the container of course!)

My husband and I both paint and together we have alot of artwork which we want to bring. Do I really need to declare every item? We have no intention of selling anything and can probably get temporary import permits (payable every year) until we have to leave.

What is critical that I declare at customs? I want to avoid as much stress as possible as we also have our baby with us, and don't want to get any surprises at customs and have to wait...particularly where the dogs are concerned as they will be flying with us.

Anyone that has been in the same situation....PLEASE HELP!!!
Many thanks!!! :)

moondance
26-05-2005, 17:36
Again, my two cents. We brought in 600KG from the Seychelles with us, in a huge container that flew Emirates and arrived a day before us. we then had to go and fill out & sign an ungodly amount of documents. Unless you are a citizen of Russia, you will end up paying for all your stuff, even if you tell them that it is used clothing; so, please, when they ask you the value of all your stuff, make it as low as possible.
We told them that it was at most 200$ of used clothing and kitchen appliences (it was obviously much, much more) and we still ended up paying nearly 1000$ despte the contacts and the friends.
Don't expect to get the stuff out the day it arrives, and do plan to get to the cargo place (near domodyedovo airport) at around 8:30 - 9am as it takes awhile. Also, take cash, and there is an exchange bureau there. Also, don't leave it too long as they charge you daily rent for the space your container takes up

Mrs. Reboni
26-05-2005, 17:42
Moondance, It's funny, I just replied to your post on my dogs..remember me?!
Our container is coming by sea frieght with Crown Relocations. You seem to know what's best to take and to leave behind. Any suggestions. We still have to get them to pack, so I have a few days left.
Our company will be paying frieght and charges, but they quoted us about 8,000 Euro to send the container from Bahrain to Moscow. Unbelievable huh?

equalizer
26-05-2005, 17:50
Moondance, It's funny, I just replied to your post on my dogs..remember me?!
Our container is coming by sea freight with Crown Relocations. You seem to know what's best to take and to leave behind. Any suggestions. We still have to get them to pack, so I have a few days left.
Our company will be paying freight and charges, but they quoted us about 8,000 Euro to send the container from Bahrain to Moscow. Unbelievable huh?
well 7 minutes ago i suggested crown on your other post so your off to a flying start,sell anything that can be sold ,ie
electrical,furniture,basically anything anyone in the emirates will buy,what you save on the freight and the customs here and what you get from the sale you may actually come out on top.

moondance
26-05-2005, 17:50
8000Euro????? oh my god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We paid 700$ to ship from Seychelles to Moscow, and as I said the 900$ to get it out of customs. Big difference eh?!

As Equalizer pointed out, bringing anything valuable in the container may not be such a good idea. They do open some of the boxes in your cargo while you are there and you don't want to be charged extra for anything they may find to be not going along the lines of what you declared. Also, you wouldn't want things to get damaged or stolen - I don't mean here, as nothing gets opened before you get there to take it out as far as I could tell, but perhaps while the container sits there before shipment. we were very worried in the Seychelles.
Apart from that, what do you mean when you say things to leave behind? You mean things you can buy here? There is absolutely everything!

equalizer
26-05-2005, 17:57
8000Euro????? oh my god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We paid 700$ to ship from Seychelles to Moscow, and as I said the 900$ to get it out of customs. Big difference eh?!

As Equalizer pointed out, bringing anything valuable in the container may not be such a good idea. They do open some of the boxes in your cargo while you are there and you don't want to be charged extra for anything they may find to be not going along the lines of what you declared. Also, you wouldn't want things to get damaged or stolen - I don't mean here, as nothing gets opened before you get there to take it out as far as I could tell, but perhaps while the container sits there before shipment. we were very worried in the Seychelles.
Apart from that, what do you mean when you say things to leave behind? You mean things you can buy here? There is absolutely everything!
i always remember when i first came here and was overjoyed to find Heinz ketchup ot baked beans in the Irish house and ususally filled my trolley as you never knew what would they still have next week and i was always bringing bits with me ,now i think there's a better choice here than the uk
sell it or dump it

moondance
26-05-2005, 18:00
Yep, I agree, everything your heart desires and more exists here.....
Though no Cadbury's Cream Eggs, I love those things!

Mrs. Reboni
26-05-2005, 18:01
Moondance, Equalizer................you guys are great!

My husband and I have to re-evaluate what we'll bring. Oh boy!!!

If I have anymore questions can I search and post to you?

Actually, ...I do have some more questions, but I have to run, so I'll talk to you soon. Thanks

equalizer
26-05-2005, 18:03
Moondance, Equalizer................you guys are great!

My husband and I have to re-evaluate what we'll bring. Oh boy!!!

If I have anymore questions can I search and post to you?

Actually, ...I do have some more questions, but I have to run, so I'll talk to you soon. Thanks
yeah your husbands going to be so happy,sell everything and buy it all again here a husbands dream

moondance
26-05-2005, 18:03
No problem, message anytime