PDA

View Full Version : importing pets into Russia

Mrs. Reboni
26-05-2005, 16:56
I have read lots of info on importing dogs into Russia, but was wondering is anyone has done it already and could give me some advice??? My dogs are Microchipped, come from Bahrain. They told me I do not need to get blood tests done, but I would like to be sure. Is customs difficult? Will I encountrer any problems???? Please help.

Plus has anyone noticed the prices to send pets!!! The cost by plane is astronomical!!!

equalizer
26-05-2005, 17:05
I have read lots of info on importing dogs into Russia, but was wondering is anyone has done it already and could give me some advice??? My dogs are Microchipped, come from Bahrain. They told me I do not need to get blood tests done, but I would like to be sure. Is customs difficult? Will I encountrer any problems???? Please help.

Plus has anyone noticed the prices to send pets!!! The cost by plane is astronomical!!!
you sure your dogs will cope with the climate change?it will be cooler for them granted but they may suffer from colds leading to pneumonia, i have a colleuge from dubai who had a similar problem and decided to leave her there

moondance
26-05-2005, 17:11
I brought my dog in from France originally, but he travels in and out with us every few months - he is a jack russell. You never have problems at customs, and you don't need a blood test. You have to get your vet in Bahrain to give you the necessary travel document maximum 3 days prior to traveling and all his shots have to be up to date, this is all.
on the subject of prices for shipping your pet, what size is he/she? We paid 50$ for ours as excess baggage from Dubai to here, and when we landed in Domadyedovo we went through red with the dog in its cage, and nobody was even interested. I would advise you ask to be shown where the airport vet's office is, just in case they want to write the dog up in their computer.
We all seem to be using the same vet here, Valeria & Yuri. Please phone them if you need any help, but they advised me last week that it isn't the best thing to send your pet unattended so make sure they fly on the same flight as you, even if they are in cargo. Their number is +7 501 439 3956
let me know if you need more info

equalizer
26-05-2005, 17:15
I brought my dog in from France originally, but he travels in and out with us every few months - he is a jack russell. You never have problems at customs, and you don't need a blood test. You have to get your vet in Bahrain to give you the necessary travel document maximum 3 days prior to traveling and all his shots have to be up to date, this is all.
on the subject of prices for shipping your pet, what size is he/she? We paid 50$ for ours as excess baggage from Dubai to here, and when we landed in Domadyedovo we went through red with the dog in its cage, and nobody was even interested. I would advise you ask to be shown where the airport vet's office is, just in case they want to write the dog up in their computer.
We all seem to be using the same vet here, Valeria & Yuri. Please phone them if you need any help, but they advised me last week that it isn't the best thing to send your pet unattended so make sure they fly on the same flight as you, even if they are in cargo. Their number is +7 501 439 3956
let me know if you need more info
if you pay a full fare ,can the dog sit in the cage,on the seat next to you ,this would save a lot of psychological stress for the dog

moondance
26-05-2005, 17:19
That depends on the airline entirely. Airlines like BA never allow pets in cabin and most airlines do not for long hauls, such as from the US to here, or in my case from France to the Seychelles.
You are right, it is a huge stress for the dog - & also for the owners too as you constantly wander how the animal is holding up.
The European Airlines, & Aeroflot allow pets in cabin, on condition that they weigh no more than 8kg, and no more than 2 per flight.

Mrs. Reboni
26-05-2005, 17:19
you sure your dogs will cope with the climate change?it will be cooler for them granted but they may suffer from colds leading to pneumonia, i have a colleuge from dubai who had a similar problem and decided to leave her there
Thanks equalizer! They'll be fine, they are indoor dogs, and believe me I'll cover them up warmly for outside come winter.
Can't leave my dogs.
Any advice on importing? I've seen you post alot, you seem to know Moscow well.

Mrs. Reboni
26-05-2005, 17:24
Thanks Moondance, Wow you were lucky! 50$ That's it!!! IATA has put up the prices for Cargo, and as the dogs are measure by Volumetric weight the charges are astronomical! 20,000 UAE Dirhams to get our dogs there. They are labrador size, not even great danes!!!
So no blood tests or import permit needed from Bahrain?

moondance
26-05-2005, 17:30
I do remember that from Seychelles to Dubia we paid 400$!!!! That was such a rip off. it seeems to depend on which airline, and what route. For example, from here to Vienna we pay 30$ and from Vienna to here, we pay 50Euro; it's bizarre!

From your vet in Bahrain you have to request a travel document which states that your animal is healthy to travel, and this has to be maximum 3 days prior to your departure - any time before the 3 days and the document will not be accepted.

Russia does to have an import permit document you need to request so in that respect you are lucky and in all the years I have lived here and brought my pets in (5 years and 2 pets) never has anyone requested a blood test. Just check with your vet as he will know the most recent regulations, and if you are still in doubt, call the vet whose number I posted in my last post; they will be a great help to you as they work with the majority of the expats.

Mrs. Reboni
26-05-2005, 17:34
Thanks I will! Next dogs I decide to have (probably a long time from now! My animals are known for their longevity :) ) I'll definately get a small dog <8kg. Save on transport!!! :)

equalizer
26-05-2005, 17:35
Thanks equalizer! They'll be fine, they are indoor dogs, and believe me I'll cover them up warmly for outside come winter.
Can't leave my dogs.
Any advice on importing? I've seen you post a lot, you seem to know Moscow well.
yes,dont bring artwork through customs,if its so expensive pay the excess for the flight,i have had items falling out of sealed boxes and never being found,as for electrical stuff ,sell it there .there are a few companies here who specialize and one of the best...........by this i mean personal recommendations is crown relocations .
they have an office in Dubai and Moscow so they should be able to do it all packing, transfer, customs ,delivery and unpack

Mrs. Reboni
26-05-2005, 17:47
yes,dont bring artwork through customs,if its so expensive pay the excess for the flight,i have had items falling out of sealed boxes and never being found,as for electrical stuff ,sell it there .there are a few companies here who specialize and one of the best...........by this i mean personal recommendations is crown relocations .
they have an office in Dubai and Moscow so they should be able to do it all packing, transfer, customs ,delivery and unpack
We were planning to use Crown aswell. The artwork is our own. We painted (my husband and I). Should I really bring it on the plane with me? Bit of a pain, travelling with dogs, baby, luggage etc. It has no commercial value, just sentimental, but I am more worried about having to take measurements of each picture, putting it on an inventory and hoping that they allow them through customs!

equalizer
26-05-2005, 18:17
We were planning to use Crown aswell. The artwork is our own. We painted (my husband and I). Should I really bring it on the plane with me? Bit of a pain, travelling with dogs, baby, luggage etc. It has no commercial value, just sentimental, but I am more worried about having to take measurements of each picture, putting it on an inventory and hoping that they allow them through customs!
it is worth it , if you want as obviously you have a lot of luggage ,baby, dogs etc and if you can fly into sheremetevo and give me 2 days warning i can arrange a vip arrival this means ,you come off the plane ,are met at the top of the ramp and are taken to a nice quiet vip lounge where your passports are taken away and stamped while you sit at the sofa area having a drink and freshen up ,your baggae is collected for you and brought to the airport exit and put in your car for you ,i know the manageress and if shes on duty she will look after you,if you are interested let me know,i usually do this and they are very polite its like a diffenet world compared to downstairs,and with the baby its a big plus .

Mrs. Reboni
26-05-2005, 19:49
it is worth it , if you want as obviously you have a lot of luggage ,baby, dogs etc and if you can fly into sheremetevo and give me 2 days warning i can arrange a vip arrival this means ,you come off the plane ,are met at the top of the ramp and are taken to a nice quiet vip lounge where your passports are taken away and stamped while you sit at the sofa area having a drink and freshen up ,your baggae is collected for you and brought to the airport exit and put in your car for you ,i know the manageress and if shes on duty she will look after you,if you are interested let me know,i usually do this and they are very polite its like a diffenet world compared to downstairs,and with the baby its a big plus .
I would love to be able to do that, but we are arriving most probably on Qatar Airways into Domodevo (is that how you spell it??) Can you arrange it there? What does a service like that cost?

My husband and I have have been contemplating whether or not to do an entire shipment or just an airfrieght. Still trying to figure it all out! :rolleyes:

Let me know, maybe we can do this.

equalizer
26-05-2005, 19:56
I would love to be able to do that, but we are arriving most probably on Qatar Airways into Domodevo (is that how you spell it??) Can you arrange it there? What does a service like that cost?

My husband and I have have been contemplating whether or not to do an entire shipment or just an airfrieght. Still trying to figure it all out! :rolleyes:

Let me know, maybe we can do this.
it can be done through a company called eastline ,however thats why i mainly fly aeroflot so i can use this service ,100us per person but really when i have arrived with the kid and luggage from a long flight the last thing i want is to be waiting inlines and pushing shoving.
domodevo as i said can be done i shall have a look tomorrow for you or come aeroflot ,it closer to rublovske shosse as well

equalizer
26-05-2005, 20:00
do google for eastline moscow,and you will see the lists of contacts,if your stuck (with the language)let me know,but they should speak english

Judystaylor
27-05-2005, 03:20
Pets and apartments in Moscow. Is it possible to get a good apartment with two large dogs and one cat? Please advise.

Judystaylor
27-05-2005, 03:25
Please give me any information that you may have about pets and apartments in Moscow. I have two large dogs and one cat. Will I be able to find housing that will allow them?

Mrs. Reboni
27-05-2005, 10:00
Please give me any information that you may have about pets and apartments in Moscow. I have two large dogs and one cat. Will I be able to find housing that will allow them?
As far as I know, it will be a little difficult to find an apartment. Although Russians love dogs not all of the landlords are willing to allow dogs. A lady called Violetta from Evans www.rental.ru found us a townhouse on Minskoye shosse with a garden near to the city. That's your best bet, a cottage. Plus it'll cost you less than a falt in the centre. Let me know if you need any more info.............it took us three weeks to find a suitable place so you need to give time before you move.