PDA

View Full Version : Things you want to do, but just know you'll never get around to



Broadmoor Bob
06-10-2003, 15:57
Anyone else know that there are things they want to do in life, but just won't get around to doing?

For me there are 3:

1) Learning to play an instrument - would like to learn, but no time, and probably no talent.

2) Learning how to repair a car - would love to learn, but no time, and no desire to even drive in Moscow.

3) Seeing a tiger in the wild. Unfortunately, I've been told that this is pretty much impossible on a tourist basis, and I don't have a year to take off life to participate in a tiger tracking project. I'll have to settle for lions - I plan to go on safari in either Kenya or South Africa for New Years 2005, as I have to be in the US for New Years 2004.

Jet
06-10-2003, 16:33
I started to learn French 3 times and Italian 2 times!!! I still don't speak them

Edith
06-10-2003, 16:40
Backpaking round East Asia, I did not do it when I was a student and now, well maybe when I retire if I can still live without creature comforts??????????????????

DaveUK1965
06-10-2003, 16:48
1 Parachute jump - love to do it... risk free. ;-)

2 Get to Australia to see my family in Perth - 101 other places to go in the interim (and Oz is a long way away....)

3 Get FLUENT in Russia. Toooo complicated. But I try.....

Regete
06-10-2003, 17:46
for me it's learning to dance striptease, travelling to Maldives, watching a Broadway musical revue and having finally read Decameron.

DaveUK1965
06-10-2003, 18:01
That`s 4 things, unless you were planning to learn striptease on the plane to the Maldives.... in which case, forget my parachute jump and I`ll go to the Maldives, too. ;-))

Tiffany
06-10-2003, 18:45
1. Someone would fly me to the Moon. They tell it's too late to become astronaut.
2. Learn to creat masterpieces in painting. No time, and they tell writing works better for me.
3. When life sucks, I'd wish to die. But I don't have time to think about suicide. So, I'll never get around:p

:)

Hermione
06-10-2003, 21:36
Originally posted by DaveUK1965
1 Parachute jump - love to do it... risk free. ;-)

2 Get to Australia to see my family in Perth - 101 other places to go in the interim (and Oz is a long way away....)

3 Get FLUENT in Russia. Toooo complicated. But I try.....
I do parachute jumping 4 km several times a year, and trust me this is the best experience one can ever have, some people say - better than sex, I am not sure, depends on sex :)))))) so go do it !!
And I speak fluent Russian!! So I almost fulfilled all your dreams Dave!! :)) Plus I needn't go to Aus sinse I don't have relatives there..:)
My dream is to climb Kilimanjaro, well, maybe next year or later. Need $3000 and a good company!!;) By the way have anybody done it, is it worthy at all??:confused:

cyclby
06-10-2003, 21:48
Hmmmmm:confused:

I'm Thinking, this could take awhile

cyclby
06-10-2003, 22:04
Ok, that was not too bad

1.Take the summer off and cycle around different parts of the U.S. and Canada. I made the list of places some time ago.

2. Fall in Love once and for all and be satisfied and happy in it.

3. Buy a small farm in western PA and watch the world go by me for a change.

Regards to all,
C

geneven
06-10-2003, 22:37
I plan to do everything I ever wanted to do and will die trying.

I would like to go on some very long packpacking trips; I once started out from Mexico to Canada but only made it to San Jacinto in January; I want to take the (terrifying) tram to the top of San Jacinto and start again.

I'd like to become fluent in Russian (doubtful).

I want to go back and relearn math and science.

For my next lifetime, I'd like to learn to be more comfortable in social situations.

DaveUK1965
07-10-2003, 00:25
How about parachute jumping WHILST having... hang on, where am I ? Oh. Damn. Expat Cafe. ;--)))))))))



Originally posted by Hermiona
I do parachute jumping 4 km several times a year, and trust me this is the best experience one can ever have, some people say - better than sex, I am not sure, depends on sex :)))))) so go do it !!
And I speak fluent Russian!! So I almost fulfilled all your dreams Dave!! :)) Plus I needn't go to Aus sinse I don't have relatives there..:)
My dream is to climb Kilimanjaro, well, maybe next year or later. Need $3000 and a good company!!;) By the way have anybody done it, is it worthy at all??:confused:

Hermione
07-10-2003, 00:45
Originally posted by DaveUK1965
How about parachute jumping WHILST having... hang on, where am I ? Oh. Damn. Expat Cafe. ;--)))))))))
Dave, in 40 seconds of free fall??:eek: :eek: :eek: :confused: I admire people's speed!!!

Teutonic Deity
07-10-2003, 00:52
Always wanted to learn to play the guitar - never seem to have the time or willpower to start though...

DaveUK1965
07-10-2003, 00:58
You`d be amazed what I can do when terrified, Hermiona. ;-)


Originally posted by Hermiona
Dave, in 40 seconds of free fall??:eek: :eek: :eek: :confused: I admire people's speed!!!

Hermione
07-10-2003, 01:02
Originally posted by DaveUK1965
You`d be amazed what I can do when terrified, Hermiona. ;-)
not sure I want

DaveUK1965
07-10-2003, 01:09
Well, if you pull the ripcord first, I may end up disappointed.. sorry , what WERE we talking about ? ;-)))


Originally posted by Hermiona
not sure I want

Hermione
07-10-2003, 01:31
GO TO SLEEP! JUMPER!:p

DaveUK1965
07-10-2003, 01:39
Think I`d better cross "parachuting" off the list, now... ;-)))


Originally posted by Hermiona
GO TO SLEEP! JUMPER!:p

jules
07-10-2003, 18:39
Originally posted by Teutonic Deity
Always wanted to learn to play the guitar - never seem to have the time or willpower to start though...

TD - If you are interested, check out Sam's notice in the Lessons folder :D



Hm, ok, let's see, three things I'd like to do but probably won't...

1. Write that novel I keep thinking about. Or at least more than the five chapters I have so far...

2. Learn Hebrew and Gaelic.

3. Travel to the places my family/ancestors came from - I'm a mutt, there are just too many places to go to...

:( :)

cyclby
07-10-2003, 18:55
Originally posted by jules
Hm, ok, let's see, three things I'd like to do but probably won't...

1. Write that novel I keep thinking about. Or at least more than the five chapters I have so far...

2. Learn Hebrew and Gaelic.

3. Travel to the places my family/ancestors came from - I'm a mutt, there are just too many places to go to...

:( :)

Noble Ambitions to be sure. I wish I had the imagination to write. I do not think that I speak for myself alone when I ask that you finish the book and send me a copy from the 1st run.

Regarding# 3, we are all mutts in North America

PS Happy Thanksgiving, albeit a few days early;)

Roofer
07-10-2003, 19:10
Originally posted by Hermiona
I do parachute jumping 4 km several times a year....

Hermiona, I am really amazed..

How did it feel? Its free fall, so u must have felt that you left your stomach up there. I always wanted to do it..but there's always the 'if' questions. Like what if the chute don't open...etc

cyka
07-10-2003, 19:45
Originally posted by Hermiona

My dream is to climb Kilimanjaro, well, maybe next year or later. Need $3000 and a good company!!;) By the way have anybody done it, is it worthy at all??:confused:

i've not done it, but i know lots of people who have. if climbing is your thing, kili is one that is a must do on climbers lists. it is difficult though, for every 2 people that succeed to the top, i know another 2 that didn't and the disappointment was pretty intense.

don't know why you need 3000$ though. it's a lot less than that.

Hermione
08-10-2003, 02:15
Originally posted by Roofer
Hermiona, I am really amazed..

How did it feel? Its free fall, so u must have felt that you left your stomach up there. I always wanted to do it..but there's always the 'if' questions. Like what if the chute don't open...etc
parachuting is quite safe (there are always 2 chutes by the way - at least one opens for sure ;)) unless you do some extreme things - base jumping etc. feeling is incredible, actually it's late and absolutely useless to be scared when you are falling already, so the most frequent feeling (actually a thought:)) I get is 'what the hell am i doing here???' :) kinda it was safe and ok on the ground. Well once you wanna jump here - contact me i can give you telephones of moscow parachute clubs, where they would give you an instructor and equipment, though the season is almost over this year - too cloudy on weekends.

Cyka, how much then and HOW?? i've checked the info and figured out 1 week trip is about $2 500 and 2 weeks - over 3 000. IF u really have info about less expensieve opportunities - i would really appreciate your help and info about it.

DaveUK1965
08-10-2003, 02:23
Ahhh, it`s Valentina Tereshkova to blame for this, Hermiona. ;-) Apparently she formed a workers` parachute jumping club.... you`re not related, are you ?? ;-))

Next stop.... the Vostok programme. ;-)

I used to have a mate who did a lot of parachute jumps for charity. He did one and broke his ankle very badly. I`ve got a bad injury from an old motorcycle accident, and having gone through a lot of physiotherapy, I don`t want to break it again (five places and I lost some muscle there, too - permanently.) It`s a known risk with parachute jumping, I hear, so.... ahhh well, no parachute jump for Dave. ;-))))) I was six months on crutches last time.... no more motorcycles either. ;-))) God is trying to tell me something.... but I know, it`s supposed to be the most amazing thing you can do and I just wish fate had been a little different ! ;-))))

natalia_apple
08-10-2003, 02:30
Originally posted by Hermiona
parachuting is quite safe (there are always 2 chutes by the way - at least one opens for sure ;)) unless you do some extreme things - base jumping etc. feeling is incredible, actually it's late and absolutely useless to be scared when you are falling already, so the most frequent feeling (actually a thought:)) I get is 'what the hell am i doing here???' :) kinda it was safe and ok on the ground. Well once you wanna jump here - contact me i can give you telephones of moscow parachute clubs, where they would give you an instructor and equipment, though the season is almost over this year - too cloudy on weekends.

Cyka, how much then and HOW?? i've checked the info and figured out 1 week trip is about $2 500 and 2 weeks - over 3 000. IF u really have info about less expensieve opportunities - i would really appreciate your help and info about it.

And are there such things as making a jump together with an instructor? How much would that cost?

Hermione
08-10-2003, 02:41
Originally posted by natalia_apple
And are there such things as making a jump together with an instructor? How much would that cost?
actually you can't jump alone untill you get licensed; so yes, Nat, beginners jump with instructors only, it costs $100. there are several clubs here in moscow, have no idea about granny's tereshkova p-club

well, if fact i love extreme sports, not that i practice it 24-7, but i love rafting and base jumping (never tried the last one and have no intention to;)). the only thing i can;t get is this scuba diving, ok, I have this PADI sertificate, but God, it's soo sloooooooooow, so boring to dive!!

today i have a new dream, i killed my car to death and dream of a new car of rubber, damn, i am sick of accidents..

natalia_apple
08-10-2003, 05:03
Sounds like Hermiona's the coolest woman on expat
Just wondering when she finds time for everything...
But who would be the coolest guy?

Roofer
08-10-2003, 14:14
Originally posted by Hermiona
parachuting is quite safe (there are always 2 chutes by the way - at least one opens for sure ;)) unless you do some extreme things - base jumping etc. feeling is incredible, actually it's late and absolutely useless to be scared when you are falling already, so the most frequent feeling (actually a thought:)) I get is 'what the hell am i doing here???' :) kinda it was safe and ok on the ground. Well once you wanna jump here - contact me i can give you telephones of moscow parachute clubs, where they would give you an instructor and equipment, though the season is almost over this year - too cloudy on weekends.

Cyka, how much then and HOW?? i've checked the info and figured out 1 week trip is about $2 500 and 2 weeks - over 3 000. IF u really have info about less expensieve opportunities - i would really appreciate your help and info about it.

Honest..I was really about to pm you when I came across this news :

Base Jumpers's Death on Film:

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,7497941%255E401,00.html

He was Dwain Weston from Australia and he died yesterday in Colorado, due to miscalculation.

There's always something that stopped me.... maybe its a divine intervention..:confused: :(

Hermione
08-10-2003, 14:21
a lot of ppl drive cars, and there are thousands of accidents, including death case, so what?
anyways thanx :)
i never tried base jumping at all, these guys are really skillful sportsmen, am toooo lazy 4 it:)

Roofer
08-10-2003, 14:28
I guess you're right there, Hermonia. I'll do some meditation now...to bring back my courage...

But honestly..I am afraid of height, I think it's going to take more than meditation. The news just make it worst.

cyka
08-10-2003, 14:35
Originally posted by Hermiona


Cyka, how much then and HOW?? i've checked the info and figured out 1 week trip is about $2 500 and 2 weeks - over 3 000. IF u really have info about less expensieve opportunities - i would really appreciate your help and info about it.

what time of year do you want to go? when i'm back in kenya on the 18th, i will find out exact costs. 3000$ is definitely too high, that's got to be some kind of package thing for tourists.

Hermione
08-10-2003, 14:41
Originally posted by cyka
what time of year do you want to go? when i'm back in kenya on the 18th, i will find out exact costs. 3000$ is definitely too high, that's got to be some kind of package thing for tourists.
excellent answer, it must be the price 4 tourists i agree, but how do i get to the top without a guide and equipment :))))))
fancy walking me????:)
and actually it's because of the absence of direct flights to kenia - so one has to change the flight in Amsterdam or smth

cyka
08-10-2003, 15:19
Originally posted by Hermiona
excellent answer, it must be the price 4 tourists i agree, but how do i get to the top without a guide and equipment :))))))
fancy walking me????:)
and actually it's because of the absence of direct flights to kenia - so one has to change the flight in Amsterdam or smth

i can arrange local guides. hiring equipment locally upon arrival is also a much better option than arranging it from abroad. you have to remember that we're third world country down there... most ppl don't have internet access so it's usually only the white european tour agencies that you find online.

flying thru europe is not your only option. emirates air now has daily flights to nairobi via dubai. emirates may even have a dubai-dar es saalam direct now. otherwise it's about 100$ to fly from nbi to dar. have flown with emirates from nbi to london and they were far and above one of the best airlines i've ever flown. also egypt air thru cairo, not sure about moscow-nbo with them, but i recently flew nbi-london on them for 540$ return. it takes a bit of digging, but it's definitely possible to do kili for cheap.

Hermione
08-10-2003, 15:23
Originally posted by cyka
i can arrange local guides. hiring equipment locally upon arrival is also a much better option than arranging it from abroad. you have to remember that we're third world country down there... most ppl don't have internet access so it's usually only the white european tour agencies that you find online.

flying thru europe is not your only option. emirates air now has daily flights to nairobi via dubai. emirates may even have a dubai-dar es saalam direct now. otherwise it's about 100$ to fly from nbi to dar. have flown with emirates from nbi to london and they were far and above one of the best airlines i've ever flown. also egypt air thru cairo, not sure about moscow-nbo with them, but i recently flew nbi-london on them for 540$ return. it takes a bit of digging, but it's definitely possible to do kili for cheap.
cool, i am really interested, so hopefully c u this weekend ;)

cyka
08-10-2003, 15:47
Originally posted by Hermiona
so hopefully c u this weekend ;)

you will if i get any of this packing done. :(

Hermione
08-10-2003, 16:00
Originally posted by cyka
you will if i get any of this packing done. :(
c'mon that's easy - I take all my wardrobe with me normally, just make sure you heve enough suitcases :D :D

cyka
08-10-2003, 16:23
Originally posted by Hermiona
c'mon that's easy - I take all my wardrobe with me normally, just make sure you heve enough suitcases :D :D

it's a little more complicated than that. we have two flats and i have to move all the stuff from one of them into the other.

DJ Biscuit
08-10-2003, 20:12
I'd like to be more enthusiastic and positive but.. I can't be bothered.

cyka
08-10-2003, 20:24
Originally posted by DJ Biscuit
I'd like to be more enthusiastic and positive but.. I can't be bothered.

viagra. it'd make certain parts of you much more enthusiastic. :P

CaliforniaAngel
09-10-2003, 07:36
I biggest thing for me was, I always planned on living in Russia for some time. I had given up thinking it was possible. I thought being 33 and settled back in my home town, it was a pretty unlikely option.

But, I was wrong. If all goes as planned, I will be in Moscow before the end of the month.

So, Don't give up on those things you really want to accomplish. You never know what turns your life may take. :)

(I also wanted to learn to play the Concertina Accordion but that might not happen) we shall see. :)

kiki
10-10-2003, 11:57
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney (1901-1966).