PDA

View Full Version : KINDLE

thierry
31-07-2010, 11:25
Does anyone have any recent experience using Amazon Kindle in Moscow? Thanks in advance.

Gypsy
01-08-2010, 13:17
MissAnnElk did. She bought one a while ago and used it extensively here with as far as I know no problems - but PM her and ask.

nbogaard
02-08-2010, 12:16
I absolutely love my Kindle. I prefer reading from it to reading from a book. I see that you are from the US. Because of that I recommend that if you have a US based credit card (i.e. billed to a US address), you buy the device with international coverage but registered as if you are in the US. Alot of books are subject to foreign copyrights and when you try to download them, you get a message which says, this book is not available for download in your area: Europe.

I also recommend that you buy the accessories; the attachable reading light (it is not a back-lit screen) and the cover (look at the covers from the manufacturer M-Edge. If you have anymore questions, please PM me as I don't look at all the posts every day. Good luck and enjoy!

Scatterling
02-09-2010, 21:48
I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, but I have long made peace with my technological handicap.
Is it possible to buy a Kindle somewhere in Moscow or do I have to order it from Amazon?
I recently read an article on it and I just fell in love.
I want one! I want one NOW!

MissAnnElk
02-09-2010, 22:10
The Kindle is Amazon's product. As far as I know, you can only get it through them. But maybe on eBay??

I bought mine while in the US two summers ago, so I didn't have the "international" option. I registered it as if I were in Ohio, and then I can order items through amazon and download them to my computer . . . then transfer them to my Kindle. I need a European adaptor to plug it into the wall, but that's no big deal.

I have been very happy with mine. Now they are even cheaper. Saw an article in the NYT recently about the newest version which is supposed to be even better.

I don't have a reading light for mine (but that IS a good idea), but I bought a sleeve for mine. It was a cheap one, so it is starting to look ratty, but I just can't bring myself to spend big bucks on a designer cover. But if you want to buy me one for Christmas . . .

Korkelia
02-09-2010, 23:52
I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, but I have long made peace with my technological handicap.
Is it possible to buy a Kindle somewhere in Moscow or do I have to order it from Amazon?
I recently read an article on it and I just fell in love.
I want one! I want one NOW!

You need to order it from Amazon. Kindle is on sale now. Make sure that your order is less than 200 USD total, otherwise it will stuck in Russian customs (and you will have to pay extra to get it - the extra can be another 200 USD).
By some rule you are not allowed to order anything for more than 200 USD per week.

jim
04-09-2010, 11:59
I love my Kindle too. So far, the free 3G connection has worked everywhere for me except the Stockholm airport. It works great in Russia (at least in the cities). But even if that doesn't work, you can still transfer books via USB cable.

Does anyone have any experience with Russian language books on the Kindle? I've had some problems getting things to show up right (encoding problems).

deepthroat
05-02-2011, 14:05
I was looking at buying the Kindle 3G from the US with a US Amazon account (credit card and mailing address). Then I got to think about why not just get the WiFi (w/out 3G) model. As I see it 3G is only really usefull if you travel a lot and ton't have a PC handy.

Any advice?

is4fun
05-02-2011, 14:27
I bought a Sony Reader a year and a half back and loved it because my reading experience was truly mobile and cheap. The screen died within 3 months of my purchase because I put it into my pack and the screen broke. Not visibly, but you can not read what is on the screen. Touch-screen interface. I loved it, however, the screens are as much as the whole unit.

I am thinking of purchasing a Kindle with Wifi. Any ideas on finding one in Moscow or neighboring countries where the price is not 2.5 times the price as is in America?

martpark
05-02-2011, 15:26
I bought an ipad which is not as cheap but does a few more things. Also a heap of free books with ibooks free app. Apps are a nice addition that kindle doesn't have.

Skype works fine and is more convenient to use but with no video. Some may wait for ipad 2 but I found this a good little device for travel etc.

kirstymb
05-02-2011, 20:14
After reading this thread I just bought a Kindle, thanks for the idea!

mattology
05-02-2011, 20:42
I bought an ipad which is not as cheap but does a few more things. Also a heap of free books with ibooks free app. Apps are a nice addition that kindle doesn't have.

Skype works fine and is more convenient to use but with no video. Some may wait for ipad 2 but I found this a good little device for travel etc.

Did you buy it in Moscow or abroad? I find it not so expensive in Moscow actually - would have expected to pay much more than in Europe - but if there is any cheaper way to get it here than in the usual stores (re:store or in the Tsifrovoi in Evropeskiy), I would be happy to know. But I will probably wait for iPad 2 anyway (especially as I would be bummed to buy the old one just to know that they are actually gonna put a Retina display on the new one...).

martpark
05-02-2011, 22:30
Did you buy it in Moscow or abroad? I find it not so expensive in Moscow actually - would have expected to pay much more than in Europe - but if there is any cheaper way to get it here than in the usual stores (re:store or in the Tsifrovoi in Evropeskiy), I would be happy to know. But I will probably wait for iPad 2 anyway (especially as I would be bummed to buy the old one just to know that they are actually gonna put a Retina display on the new one...).

Much cheaper in the US. Same price here as the UK, so I bought it here. Look on mail.ru. the shopping section. You can compare prices and get it delivered.

mattology
06-02-2011, 16:26
Cheers mate. Although I think I might wait for the successor to hit the market - I think it could come in March/April...

FatAndy
06-02-2011, 17:25
For cheaper offers watch http://market.yandex.ru and http://price.ru too.
Be aware that cheapest offers usually don't exist in the nature, but if you go to 2nd - 3rd page of search list, you get reasonable pricing...

mattology
06-02-2011, 18:08
Funny thing is that the prices there are exactly the same as in the regular shops. So better just walk to the next store and get it there.

Lucid
10-02-2011, 07:12
I personally find it hard to read on an Ipad for too long. Gets to the eyes after awhile

manbitesdog
10-02-2011, 09:01
I have a Sony touch screen reader and it's amazing. I put forth the money to get a good cover so it doesn't get damaged. It doesn't have wifi or anything, but I personally wouldn't use the wifi on it. It's an amazing little device! As for the ipad, is it really worth the money? I thought about getting one....

mattology
13-04-2011, 00:30
For how much would a brand new Kindle 3 wifi (without 3G) go in Moscow? I see they are around 6200 Rub on Yandex Market but not sure if those can be taken seriously. How much would they be bought privately?

FatAndy
13-04-2011, 10:53
Could be.
Price.ru says from 5700 to 8600. Privately should be cheaper as you don't supply warranty.

mattology
13-04-2011, 12:06
How can a Russian shop supply warranty if the device comes from the US and is officially not sold in Europe at all?

Periwinkle
13-04-2011, 12:15
I love my Kindle - did not buy it in Moscow though. You can get them in the UK - maybe wait if will be there or in the US anytime soon.

FatAndy
13-04-2011, 12:49
Russian shops are almighty. They can supply you any type of warranty, including coverage of device usage by your family, children and grandchildren. The only question is their interest in it. ;)
Indeed, Matt, what is the problem for disti or shop to keep on stock several pieces of plastic, several pcs of PCBs and a couple of boxes of E-ink screens (most frequently destroyed part)? And even schoolchild can flash FW...
And minimal warranty usually is 180 days.

How can a Russian shop supply warranty if the device comes from the US and is officially not sold in Europe at all?

mattology
13-04-2011, 13:05
I love my Kindle - did not buy it in Moscow though. You can get them in the UK - maybe wait if will be there or in the US anytime soon.

I'm in Germany now, just found out I can have it sent from the US. Amazon service says shipping takes 2-3 days, that's unbelievable but I'll try for sure. USD/EUR is perfect for me at the moment. Hope it will be here until Saturday then as I'm leaving on Sunday again.

martpark
13-04-2011, 15:23
The ipad does many more things...but you can't take it out in the metro really.

mattology
13-04-2011, 15:32
I have an iPhone 4 and currently use an iPad which I've borrowed. To be honest, since I've had the iPhone I can't really get used to the lower resolution display of the iPad, the retina display is just the best out there. And the iPad is too big for travelling and reading books is tiresome due to the backlit display.

That's why I am looking at getting a Kindle for books and newspapers. Nevertheless I think the iPad is a good device and is fun to use for consuming media (except ebooks)...

Price for a Kindle: 135 Euros incl. shipping, while the iPad costs 479 Euros and more...

Ian G
13-04-2011, 15:50
I like the Kindle because it has a keyboard- it means you can search a particular book- or all your books- for a word. Very useful. Especially for looking words up in a dictionary. (There's also the default dictionary fuunction.) But the keyboard is only latin letters, so not much good if you are reading sth in Russian and need a dictionary.

Its internet browser is slow- (but quicker than starting up a computer)- fine for checking articles on wikipedia and downloading books.

FatAndy
14-04-2011, 11:33
Ian, there are already several models n the market with Rus/Eng keyboard. My daughter owns Ritmix 520:
http://www.ritmixrussia.ru/?action=products&mode=search&category_id=28&product_id=238

caroo
19-04-2011, 16:38
My husband got a Kindle for Christmas last year, and he loves it. I'm not sure where he registered it, but it seems to be working just fine in terms of downloads. You can always download books and reformat them so you can upload them to your Kindle with a USB cable. And if you jailbreak it, you can even put your own screensavers on there.

mattology
19-04-2011, 16:46
I've had it since Saturday now and I won't give it away anymore! I love it, it's so small and neat and it's easy to use. Have loaded quite a few books already and now just need a proper cover for it.

My recommendation - especially for the current price!

KennyK
19-04-2011, 16:57
Only just seen this thread - I could have brought you one from the UK, where they sell at the airport for R4750 (WiFi). Looks like I'll have to buy one for myself instead.

mattology
19-04-2011, 18:04
No problem, Kenny, I paid just about the same price (a few 100 rubles more) and had it delivered right to my door within 2 days. Thanks anway.