PDA

View Full Version : trickery by Russian women

xander3911
25-05-2005, 07:45
I have met and communicated with what appears for all my judgement to be a beautiful native Russian woman, but we met over the internet. We have communicated and sent photos for months, and now are at he point of arrangeing for her to obtain a passport and tourist visa. How can I be positively sure that she/this is not one of those scams where Russian women basically seduce American men into sending them money for such arrangements, then reneg and keep the money? I am told by Western Union that this is currently the biggest and most common problem that they encounter. Is there anyway for me to determine with absolute surity?

PHolmes
25-05-2005, 08:54
Heavy Sigh
If you are an American, the likelyhood that a young single Russian woman getting a tourist visa to USA is about 5% if that.
My Case, I am going to Turkey with someone in the fall.

tgma
25-05-2005, 09:07
You don't give many details, so it's hard to judge. If you really want to see this woman, why don't you suggest that you meet in Russia? The cost would be the same to you. If she fobs you off with some excuse about this, then that would be a bad sign.

One sure sign is, if she tells you that she needs to be able to show a large sum in cash to the people at the embassy. This is NOT a requirement that any of us are aware of. The embassies are suspicious, especially the US, but normally a bank statement, or proof of employment are suspicious.

As with most things in life, if something or someone looks too good to be true, they normally are. If not, well, love will always find a way.

Lled
25-05-2005, 09:17
Xander

The solution is as already mentioned. GO to Russia, meet her at a public spot, a hotel whatever, if you fall in love you should then get the idea.

Why in God's name would you send money to someone you have NEVER met? :rolleyes:

I won't even give money to my mother. :)

Good luck.

PHolmes
25-05-2005, 09:39
Xander, better yet, keep your money and check the women in your community. Go to Russia as a tourist and see what you find. If not, Lled needs a new dad.

Moscow Wolf
27-05-2005, 10:44
Unfortunately, we have covered this type of 'scam' on here before, but I'm not sure if it is now lost after the site was hacked. There were one or two excellent examples of how it is so easy to be duped into sending sums of money to 'Eastern European' women. However, not all and sundry are fraudsters.

Even before you enter into negotiations about who should travel where, you can make some simple checks - you should have her full name, i.e. christian, middle and family name. She can fax you a copy of her Russian passport, (not her International one) as this will show where she is registered as living although it doesn't necessarilly mean that she is living at the address shown in her passport. Get her Home telephone number (not mobile) and her current address. It is very simple and free to check Moscow telephone numbers. If you read Russian I can send you the link by PM where you can post the telephone number and it will tell you (in the majority of cases) the exact address and who is registered in the flat the number belongs to. Its all a bit sneaky I guess, but you need to see if you can smell a rat before you start parting company with your hard earned green-backs.

With regards to Moscow Home telephone numbers, well, this should also be a security heads up to all Expats to. By giving anyone your Home Moscow telephone number, you are making it very easy for anyone to know where you live. You go to an agency to book a holiday for example, give your Home telephone number and anyone wanting to, can find out where you live and they already know when you'll be away. So use your office or your mobile number(s) in such cases.

chunkyhunkymonkey
27-05-2005, 12:02
. It is very simple and free to check Moscow telephone numbers. If you read Russian I can send you the link by PM where you can post the telephone number and it will tell you (in the majority of cases) the exact address and who is registered in the flat the number belongs to. .

Just out of interest, what's the link?

Britanski Soldat
27-05-2005, 12:05
Is it at the FSB HQ or SVR HQ at Yasanevo or some other Spetz Sluzhba HQ?

Lady Marmalade
27-05-2005, 12:18
I have met and communicated with what appears for all my judgement to be a beautiful native Russian woman, but we met over the internet. We have communicated and sent photos for months, and now are at he point of arrangeing for her to obtain a passport and tourist visa. How can I be positively sure that she/this is not one of those scams where Russian women basically seduce American men into sending them money for such arrangements, then reneg and keep the money? I am told by Western Union that this is currently the biggest and most common problem that they encounter. Is there anyway for me to determine with absolute surity?

You really want to take this relationship a step further, then come here. I agree with what was said before, come on over to Russia and meet her in a very public place consecutively for a week and then make a decision about her integrity. You won't be losing your money, Russia's beautiful right now and so are the women, the selection will be staggering to your NJ imagination and believe me when I say the season for watching these beauties is now! Do not send money to this women via Western Union, there's a 99% you'll never see it again. If it's love, she'll move heaven and earth to come to meet you wherever you are in Moscow, and if not, better to find out this way then be out a couple thousand dollars. Visa season at the US embassy is October and the visa limit is usually used up immediately. It's very difficult to get a tourist visa for the States. I honestly think you're being taken for a ride. However, in the end it's your decision.

Halyavshik
27-05-2005, 12:26

First, I agree with Lled. Why in God's name would you send money to someone you've never met or seen ? No wonder these scams are so abundant.

That having been said, I'd put money on it being a scam (and it's being done by some fat programmer/hacker guy named Vasya downing shots of vodka and munching on pickles while he chuckles at your confessions of true love to someone you've never met).

There are entire sites dedicated to exposing some of the names used for these poor girls who so easily fall in love via cyberspace. I wouldn't know their addresses, but I'm sure you can google it and find a few sites that list this info for free. Frequently these scammers use the exact same wording in their letters, so you can cross-check with others on those sites who have already been scammed.

It costs no more than 100 bucks to get a US tourist visa. Probably less, I can't remember. Tickets to the US (in the off-season) go for about 500-600 depending on when you book.

And, as someone else pointed out, if she were for real, she'd have better luck playing pick-up sticks with her buttcheeks than getting a visa if she can't even afford the $100 it costs to get it.

Perhaps she can use

My two cents,
Hal

Britanski Soldat
27-05-2005, 12:37
I suggest that you keep your money and break contact...........

Either way you will be ripped off. The majority of women, whatever the Nationality, will very quickly burn a large hole in your wallet.

The only upside is that Russian / Slavic women are beautiful (been there before in another thread!) and become the best of homemakers, wives and mothers.

I wish you luck but be very careful. Do not, under any circumstances, send any money before getting to know this lady.................

Moscow Wolf
27-05-2005, 13:00
Best send it (money) to the Moscow Wolf fund for two unwanted kittens!!

Kingwillhe
27-05-2005, 13:29
My two cents?

Losing a few bucks is the least of your concerns! Much as I like kiskaís, MOST of the advice that is posted above is sound and good ! Allow me to share.

I was introduced to a woman online by a mutual acquaintance (donít you love the cyber world?). When it was time, I met my girl in Venice after 6 months of email and much checking. Hal is spot on; take the time to check things out if you ďmetĒ her some other way, scams abound. After Venice, I then made three trips to Moscow on 1 month tourist visas as she was more comfortable on her home turf and didnít want to move or even visit the WestÖnot all do you know. Think of these as very expensive dates. Eventually I moved more or less permanently to Moscow where we were married which necessitated a TOTAL restructuring of my life. You can change this story to have her going to the States but the upheaval will be the same!!

Expect huge cultural differences regardless of what you do, especially if Russia was not on your radar before you became interested in her. Whether you move here or she moves there, you will be dealing with Russian culture (and she with your culture) regardless. Take your time and treat it as a big adventure.

And Iím very sorry to say it, but being financial secure is going to help immeasurably. Itís just a sad fact brought about by the logistics of what you are about to undertake! If neither of you have coin, well, write a book if you succeed!!

Still interested?

PHolmes
27-05-2005, 15:45
Best home makers!!! LOL . The girl that I dated from Moscow could cook anything tasty. It was awful.

Wolfie, is the kittens named Remus and Romus

Cherry
27-05-2005, 15:56
Best home makers!!! LOL . The girl that I dated from Moscow could cook anything tasty. It was awful.

you said you liked it :cry: :cry:

Braders
27-05-2005, 16:02
Agree with 2 comments already made, don't send money to anyone you've never met, even if you've chatted on the net, on the phone, hell, even if you've had a chat via webcam.

This is not aimed at you xander, but it never ceases to amaze me how naive some people have been when faced with similar situations.

Moscow Wolf
27-05-2005, 16:27
WE WANT TO BELIEVE - that's part of the success of being a good con artist!

PHolmes
27-05-2005, 16:39
Sorry Cherry, that was could not cook.

Fried everything!!!

PHolmes
27-05-2005, 16:45
Even if you met, date, marry and have children with her, she can still take you for lots of money.

Moscow Wolf
27-05-2005, 16:49
Even if you met, date, marry and have children with her, she can still take you for lots of money.

Isn't that what all women do, not dependent on where they come from! I just hand over everything on the first meeting now; car, house keys, credit card numbers the lot!

DUCK INCOMING........... :rolleyes:

marus
27-05-2005, 17:05
Imagine you meet a lovely girl somewhere in Moscow like the metro etc.( not Nitefly) and you get talking,she spins you a poor little girl yarn and then asks if you can help her by lending her $100 until tomorrow when she promises she will meet you at the same place to return it and then you can talk some more etc!She even writes down a phone number and says her name is ......!
Maybe you are so taken in you give her $200 or more.......
Next day after hanging around for 2 hours or so forlornly, you call the number she gave you and no joy of course!You've been had my friend!
Perhaps us guys just like to be done over by women sometimes??(OR WORSE STILL, YOU CALL THE NUMBER AND SHE ARRANGES TO MEET YOU SOMEWHERE ELSE-SO YOU GO ALONG AND ARE MUGGED BY A COUPLE OF MOSCOWS FINEST LADS!!)

PHolmes
27-05-2005, 17:06
Yeah, Internet dating thing is great. You still lose all your money, but at least you do not have the shatter dream by meeting him/her.

You can easily be that paranoid bitter person sitting home and say nothing is good(enough about my mother). But some risk is okay. A little risk benefit analysis. Too guys are not willing to talk to that beautiful girl, because she is too beautiful and they do not want to risk rejection. But yet they are willing to send 1300usd to some foreign country to someone they never met. Interesting

See how Rep points I lose today.

Moscow Wolf
27-05-2005, 17:09
Better to have spent that money in NiteFly (as you call it) me thinks!

Random
27-05-2005, 17:10
Isn't that what all women do, not dependent on where they come from! I just hand over everything on the first meeting now; car, house keys, credit card numbers the lot!

Works for me - next time I want to get married I am going to find a woman I hate and give her half of everything ...

Also puts on tin helmet and ducks down .... :)

Moscow Wolf
27-05-2005, 17:12
You sure that HALF is enough!

marus
27-05-2005, 17:16
She turns up, you go out, she goes home with you and bingo!!Then maybe after a week or so, you really lose your marbles over her and sign over everything you have, so she goes off to her home town/village to ' arrange everything' with her folks etc.. Of course she never comes back again and you have no idea where she really comes from or even if the name you have been calling her is real...Try asking those famous russian policemen to help you, expecting them to be like the proverbial bobby in the old t.v. series'Dixon of Dock Green!!'

Random
27-05-2005, 17:20
You sure that HALF is enough!

I am sure she would say no ......

:)

Moscow Wolf
27-05-2005, 17:27
She turns up, you go out, she goes home with you and bingo!!Then maybe after a week or so, you really lose your marbles over her and sign over everything you have, so she goes off to her home town/village to ' arrange everything' with her folks etc.. Of course she never comes back again and you have no idea where she really comes from or even if the name you have been calling her is real...Try asking those famous russian policemen to help you, expecting them to be like the proverbial bobby in the old t.v. series'Dixon of Dock Green!!'

Stop it Marus, its Friday and your beginning to make me weep! wink.

Benedikt
27-05-2005, 17:35
... if / when a man's di.. is up, his brain is down, old as the hills but still true.
and NOT only in moscow, add thailand, sri lanka, vietnam, the list is endless.
men want to be suckered and there is always someone willing to oblige...
you have only yourself to blame....

Vanilla
27-05-2005, 17:58
Just in case if you still want to invite her to states.
1) tickets
you can order them through internet and send her and electronic confirmation of whatever it is called
2) visa and other expenses
use any international travel agency (www.ath.ru) for these arrangements and pay with your credit card
3) statement from her bank account is a good point, but not obligatory. It is enough to produce a document confirming that she owns property, car or whatever valuable in Russia.

marus
27-05-2005, 18:04
Go there first to Russia,meet her, discover EVERYTHING you can about her and if there are any 'warning signs' no matter how small, just run my friend...... a broken heart hurts for much longer than a broken leg and is much harder to fix....

PHolmes
28-05-2005, 01:14
Maybe you meet this nice girl on the metro and you take her home and she has outty instead of inny (see Ed Murphy).

Or maybe you let her stay over and she sings Celion Dion songs all night.

Or maybe she married to head guy of the Large Moscow mafia.

Or maybe she just escaped loony bin and posts stupid messages ww.expat.ru

marus
28-05-2005, 10:59
Give me a nice Irish Colleen any day!

jackhearn
29-05-2005, 01:32
Hi,

As some people have said go to Russia and meet your lady. Also ask her send you a copy of her internal passport and international also. If she says that she does not have one forget her. I myself have been scamed once and learnt the hard way. But i now have a beautiful lady from Volgograd who i have been with for 2.5 years and have traveled ther several times. She is also leaving for Australia in July. And believe me its a slow proccess for visa. But take advice from people on this site and go there first as Russia is a great country to visit.

Jack the Aussie.

marus
31-05-2005, 18:31
All joking aside,I hope our friend has read these postings carefully and will take our well-meaning advice-far too many poor guys in his situation have been had before!

veejay
31-05-2005, 19:29

Duck, indeed....'nuff said...

equalizer
31-05-2005, 19:58
Is it at the FSB HQ or SVR HQ at Yasanevo or some other Spetz Sluzhba HQ?
no its the Russian equivalent of directory enquiries nothing so sinister but bloody handy

Judge
31-05-2005, 23:49
If things don't work out with this woman you will fall for a real Russian woman once you get here...
Call her bluff and come over..

jimmyS
04-06-2005, 17:08
My two cents?

Losing a few bucks is the least of your concerns! Much as I like kiska’s, MOST of the advice that is posted above is sound and good ! Allow me to share.

I was introduced to a woman online by a mutual acquaintance (don’t you love the cyber world?). When it was time, I met my girl in Venice after 6 months of email and much checking. Hal is spot on; take the time to check things out if you “met” her some other way, scams abound. After Venice, I then made three trips to Moscow on 1 month tourist visas as she was more comfortable on her home turf and didn’t want to move or even visit the West…not all do you know. Think of these as very expensive dates. Eventually I moved more or less permanently to Moscow where we were married which necessitated a TOTAL restructuring of my life. You can change this story to have her going to the States but the upheaval will be the same!!

Expect huge cultural differences regardless of what you do, especially if Russia was not on your radar before you became interested in her. Whether you move here or she moves there, you will be dealing with Russian culture (and she with your culture) regardless. Take your time and treat it as a big adventure.

This is similar to my experience, introduced by a mutual friend in 1999, met 8 months later in Moscow, been going over twice/year since summer 2000. Marriage & her immigrating to Canada was always a touchy subject, took some time but I finally conviced her it was best for her & her daughter.

Agree whole heartedly with everyone else. Sending money is not a requirement & if she says she can get a visa to US & needs money to do it she's probably lying. Russian ladies have a reputation for marrying & staying so most countries are reluctant to issue tourist visas to them.

Best you go there, it's her home turf, there's lots of places for her to take you which helps with the awkward moments.

And if she says that she can save you money on the ticket by buying it there for you & wants money she's probably lying (another scam).

The cultural differences are something that you have to experience to believe. I've spent 25 weeks in Moscow over the last 5 years & it still amazes me.

mountaineer
06-06-2005, 16:23
The cultural differences are something that you have to experience to believe. I've spent 25 weeks in Moscow over the last 5 years & it still amazes me.
Everyone's experience is subjective of course but I've been in Russia for almost 2 years and what surprises me is that people are not as different as I would have thought. Yes attitudes towards politics, etc. are rather different, as one would expect, but on a personal level Russians aren't all that different from other Europeans. Certainly not like Asians who really are different.

As to the OP, I would say if you're really interested in a Russian spouse come and live here (or in Ukraine, it's easier and cheaper). Put yourself in the other's shoes for a while.

marus
06-06-2005, 17:07
I have also known several guys who married girls from the Ukraine and as far as I know,never had any problems with them being 'gold diggers' etc!Maybe because there are less nouveau-riche people there than in Russia(not fogetting of course than many people in eastern Ukrarne especially are actually of Russian origin!)
How about Moldova-I hear things there are very bad, except the women, who are gorgeous!

tovarisch
06-06-2005, 21:18
[/QUOTE] As to the OP, I would say if you're really interested in a Russian spouse come and live here (or in Ukraine, it's easier and cheaper). Put yourself in the other's shoes for a while.[/QUOTE]

Looks like the communists don't want you trying local shoes ...
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050606/od_nm/russia_marriage_dc

:respect: