PDA

View Full Version : broken mug

druna
24-05-2005, 17:38
I broke my manager's (lady) favourite mug in the office. She doesn't speak to me for a week. I told her I was terribly sorry. What shall I do?

plastique
24-05-2005, 17:41
replace it, while replacing it buy flowers and candy. kiss her butt for the next few weeks...

druna
24-05-2005, 17:46
she is 47, never married

Lady Marmalade
24-05-2005, 17:46
I tend to agree, unless you can fix it, i.e. super glue it back together, get a new one that is similar in style to the one you broke and flowers and attach a "really, genuinely, I'm so sorry" note. If she is still not speaking to you, then there's nothing you can do at this point and it's her problem, not yours. Accidents can and do happen, you will have apologized and replaced the item, what more can you do? Just my two cents worth.

plastique
24-05-2005, 17:50
she is 47, never married

i don't really see why that matters..replace the cup, apologize with flowers

DJ Biscuit
24-05-2005, 17:51
Can you call a manager, or co worker who happens to be female - 'lady'? Isn't that a bit, oh how can I put it? Creepy....

:)

plastique
24-05-2005, 17:56
i'll give you creepy in a few minutes mister!!!!

DJ Biscuit
24-05-2005, 17:58
HAHAHA!!

Getting my point though?

plastique
24-05-2005, 18:03
not really...

DJ Biscuit
24-05-2005, 18:04
I can't break it down for you any more than I have.

RDV
26-05-2005, 15:15
I tend to agree, unless you can fix it, i.e. super glue it back together, get a new one that is similar in style to the one you broke and flowers and attach a "really, genuinely, I'm so sorry" note. If she is still not speaking to you, then there's nothing you can do at this point and it's her problem, not yours. Accidents can and do happen, you will have apologized and replaced the item, what more can you do? Just my two cents worth.

:agree: :agree: :agree: You can't do more than that.

It may also be a sign that you should start looking for a new job if your manager acts like this for a whole WEEK! Unless you can totally ignore her at work (but it doesn't seem you can)...

aysihsK
26-05-2005, 15:29
she is 47, never married

jeeez! you broke her fav mug? :eek: poor woman I assume that was all she had! sorry but no hope for forgiveness! Just give her a 2 week notice and quit! :p

aysihsK
26-05-2005, 15:40
druna! I do beleive that it is easier to quit than kiss an arse of a 47yo maiden with a broken mug ...:rolleyes:

TinyToes
26-05-2005, 15:42
gosh! it's a MUG. do you give a damn? I wouldn't...

go get her a nice new one in case it wasn't handmade limited edition Versace mug, or an antique one bought at Sotheby's for helluva money, or the one that her first lover presented her after the first night, or... sorry - imagination started to work. in these and some other cases you would really have to do some sexual favours. HAVE TO.
47 shouldn't be too bad....

aysihsK
26-05-2005, 15:46
gosh! it's a MUG. do you give a damn? I wouldn't...

go get her a nice new one in case it wasn't handmade limited edition Versace mug, or an antique one bought at Sotheby's for helluva money, or the one that her first lover presented her after the first night, or... sorry - imagination started to work. in these and some other cases you would really have to do some sexual favours. HAVE TO.
47 shouldn't be too bad....

well dear if by mug he meant her FACE I would be worried :D
jeez! to break manager's mug (who's a female besides that) and right in the office , must be hard to handle :D

TinyToes
26-05-2005, 15:49

I just don't see the point...
if it's just A MUG...

Britanski Soldat
26-05-2005, 16:32
For F***'s sake guys & gals, it is just a mug! Unless this female boss is a psychotic, massivly hormonal female who has the worst of PMS ever witnessed, then I can not see what the problems is................!

Personally, I would the blame the breakage on her for making me sort the brews out in the first place. If she had made the coffee, or indeed, cleaned her own mug then nobody else would ever had to handle her cherished mug................!

katiar
26-05-2005, 16:41

Indeed looks like she has one FAVOURITE MUG (for wearing that in the office, on a party etc.) and another one for being alone :) :)

katiar
26-05-2005, 16:42
[QUOTE=Britanski Soldat]For F***'s sake guys & gals, it is just a mug! Unless this female boss is a psychotic, massivly hormonal female who has the worst of PMS ever witnessed, then I can not see what the problems is................!

Are you nervous, Soldat? ;)
Don't please

Britanski Soldat
26-05-2005, 16:44
Katya,

I know that I nearly fell off the fence and broke my leg, but who or what is the mug here?

katiar
26-05-2005, 16:49
Katya,

I know that I nearly fell off the fence and broke my leg, but who or what is the mug here?

I think that's some capacity, what people drink tea or coffee from :)
Hope you understood my English :)

Regards,
Kate

druna
26-05-2005, 16:53
Thank you all. A box of chocolades and a message regected. I was told that I was not only a clumsy man, but a stupid womanizer (the mug was her mom's present). I do not have a slightest intention to leave the job as I love it. I told the lady to forget all the personal issues and be back to work.

Britanski Soldat
26-05-2005, 16:55
Katya,

You are such a sweetie trying to grasp our idioms......................!

A mug in idiomatic speech is a 'fool' or 'idiot' or more accurately 'somebody who is being taken for a ride' and is not simply a 'kroushka' or 'chai'nik'

Now try and explain that one in a conventional sense...................to somebdoy learning English!

Crazyeelboy
26-05-2005, 16:57
Druna:

She called you a "clumsy man" and a "stupid womanizer?" She is obviously in love with you and in search of бабник action. Your only chance is to close the deal. Take her to Boarhouse for some CA and make it happen, dude.

katiar
26-05-2005, 16:59
Katya,

A mug in idiomatic speech is a 'fool' or 'idiot' or more accurately 'somebody who is being taken for a ride' and is not simply a 'kroushka' or 'chai'nik'

Now try and explain that one in a conventional sense...................to somebdoy learning English!

I knew that you'll understand me :)

katiar
26-05-2005, 17:01
Katya,

Oh! Do you mean that if I don't understand your idioms, I shouldn't write anything?

Crazyeelboy
26-05-2005, 17:02

That's new to me. In the states, a mug would be either a drinking vessel, a face, an arrest photo (mug shot), as a verb it could be posing for a photo, or to violently rob someone (to mug, but we don't use that construction outside of the infinitive - the noun for such a crime is "mugging") but we don't use the meaning you mentioned.

DJ Biscuit
26-05-2005, 17:03
There's so much you're missing out on.

I'll show you what 'gurning' is at the gig on Saturday.

Crazyeelboy
26-05-2005, 17:04
I'm such a mug... I'm afraid to even ask about gurning.

Britanski Soldat
26-05-2005, 17:13
Oh! Do you mean that if I don't understand your idioms, I shouldn't write anything?

Katya,

I was trying to be polite and understand that non-native speakers find the English grammar and idiomatic speech very difficult.

I remember one Russian idiom from the markets which initially threw me.....I was haggling with some Georgians or Azeris, I forget which, but they were unhappy with my offer for spuds and they replied "y vas krisha po'yekala".

I am the first to admit that learning a foreign language is a real challenge and I will assist anybody to better their grasp of the lingo. I would never take the pi** out of anybody over their incorrect use of a language that they were trying to learn.

After all, you would run out of red ink if you marked my Russian grammar.............!

DJ Biscuit
26-05-2005, 17:14
This man is gurning....

TinyToes
26-05-2005, 17:16
This man is gurning....

DJ, both of your signatures made me feel much better!
thanks!

Britanski Soldat
26-05-2005, 17:17
I'm such a mug... I'm afraid to even ask about gurning.

My dear friend and supposed Ally, you are not a mug but simply uneducated!

Watch & Shoot, Watch & Shoot.........................!

I await the incoming (which I am used to from our American Coalition partners). It is no Secret that I have been shot at more by the Americans than buy those poor Iraqis!

katiar
26-05-2005, 17:25
After all, you would run out of red ink if you marked my Russian grammar.............![/QUOTE]

Have doubts, you wrote "y vas krisha po'yekala" almost right ;)

Crazyeelboy
26-05-2005, 17:47
My dear friend and supposed Ally, you are not a mug but simply uneducated!

Watch & Shoot, Watch & Shoot.........................!

I await the incoming (which I am used to from our American Coalition partners). It is no Secret that I have been shot at more by the Americans than buy those poor Iraqis!

Why does it always have to get political? As for your comment about being shot at, are you sure it wasn't something personal? :)

Lled
26-05-2005, 17:48

Britanski Soldat
26-05-2005, 19:14
As for your comment about being shot at, are you sure it wasn't something personal? :)

Such a tempered and unusually low key response. See a couple of men wielding AK47s, call in the Apache gunships and cut them in half...........!

I was expecting an overwhelming use of force - SHOCK & AWE. Decimate the Brit but alas it did not happen.

Yes - it may have been something personal but fortunately they got close, but not close enough. I fear and suspect that there will be a next time and they may put their best sniper on the case. Zaitsev could have done far better with his Simonov.........................!

God Bless You All - Missing you already...................!

Crazyeelboy
27-05-2005, 12:00
Britanski:

Sorry for ruining the thread. A low key response always kills it. We'll have to get some venom going to pump life into this thread. We need Winston Wu or Sparafucile involved. Maybe something about WMD...

Good luck and go easy, bro.

Britanski Soldat
27-05-2005, 12:02
Have a good weekend. Missing you already...........................!

druna
10-06-2005, 09:01
End of the story: the lady manager has just been fired for "absolute disability to manage staff"

Lled
10-06-2005, 09:07
All's well that ends well

Kingwillhe
11-06-2005, 09:04
End of the story: the lady manager has just been fired for "absolute disability to manage staff"
Too bad, you could have attempted humor and bought yourself a mug!

Rusty
11-06-2005, 11:13
Justus not seen often :)