PDA

View Full Version : Car Number Plate Missing

syah2000
29-07-2010, 17:14
Hello everybody,

Last 2 weeks, when a policemen stopped my car I just realized that my numberplate fell off from the front bumper. Luckily after he saw my license and car documents, he just let me go after showing me that my car don't have a numberplate (only one numberplate left).

Anybody ever experienced this before and where to get a new numberplate because in certain countries people just go to a numberplate shop and place an order. Somebody told me that in Moscow/Russia, I need to to to GAI first to make police report :question:.

Thank you guys.

Syah

Willy
29-07-2010, 18:59
Hello everybody,

Last 2 weeks, when a policemen stopped my car I just realized that my numberplate fell off from the front bumper. Luckily after he saw my license and car documents, he just let me go after showing me that my car don't have a numberplate (only one numberplate left).

Anybody ever experienced this before and where to get a new numberplate because in certain countries people just go to a numberplate shop and place an order. Somebody told me that in Moscow/Russia, I need to to to GAI first to make police report :question:.

Thank you guys.

Syah

Yes you do need to go to GAI and should do it as soon as you can before your number shows up in a robbery or on a stolen car and the cops take you in.

Cooldude
29-07-2010, 19:10
Hello everybody,

Thank you guys.

Syah

Number plate shops do exist here, but this is EXPRESSLY ILLEGAL! To make things easier on yourself don't claim that it was stolen (that should save you the need to file a report with Militsia), just go to GAI with your car, full set of documents for it, your passport (POA if registered in smb else's name) etc. stand in the queue, pay the fee and get yourself a new set of number plates.
Alas, this is the only way.......

FlakeySnowballer
29-07-2010, 20:21
Hello everybody,

Thank you guys.

Syah

Syah seems to me one day you closed a car and the owner of this car stole your number plate. In Moscow there are a few ways to strike against drivers who like to close other drivers, stealing number plate is a working method. Also i can suppose that a crazy pedestrian can have steal it because it is a fashion statement to wear a number plate, sticked to a rucksack.

Matt24
29-07-2010, 20:31
Hello everybody,

Thank you guys.

Syah

I think it's important to get a replacement plate asap, not just because of the points made by cooldude, but also because unless you have your full set of registration plates or paper transit plates on display your insurance is void - a Gaishnik told me this when he wanted me to pay him for not taking away my plates, I told him to do it because I couldn't see the amount of money he was looking for matched the perceived discomfort of not having plates, but the potential to both write off my motor and to compensate the other party out of my own pocket made it all seem quite reasonable.

Matt

syah2000
29-07-2010, 23:17
Thank you guys for the useful infos.. I'm pretty sure that my numberplate fell off because it was not screwed tightly to the bumper. My bad! But I am really confident that no possibility at all that the numberplate was stolen.

Cooldude, u know where the plate shops are located? (Pls PM me if u have the address) Or may be I should go to GAI and stand in the queue... :confused1:

My car was bought directly from a car dealer (Japanese recon MPV), so it was registered under my name as the first owner in Moscow. Hopefully when I go to GAI all documents are in order. Any idea how much fees do I have to pay for the replacement of numberplate?

Syah

FlakeySnowballer
29-07-2010, 23:27
Thank you guys for the useful infos.. I'm pretty sure that my numberplate fell off because it was not screwed tightly to the bumper. My bad! But I am really confident that no possibility at all that the numberplate was stolen.

Cooldude, u know where the plate shops are located? (Pls PM me if u have the address) Or may be I should go to GAI and stand in the queue... :confused1:

My car was bought directly from a car dealer (Japanese recon MPV), so it was registered under my name as the first owner in Moscow. Hopefully when I go to GAI all documents are in order. Any idea how much fees do I have to pay for the replacement of numberplate?

Syah

It costs 2200 rubles.
You should ask second window in GAI

martpark
29-07-2010, 23:44
Were you in Belgrade recently?

YouTube- Dog vs Car 2. Dog wins! (Funny)

syah2000
30-07-2010, 09:16
Were you in Belgrade recently?

YouTube- Dog vs Car 2. Dog wins! (Funny) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eegj3eXzps&feature=related)

Hey, that's my car! Now I know why my numberplate was missing! :tongue:

Cooldude
30-07-2010, 11:08
I think it's important to get a replacement plate asap, not just because of the points made by cooldude, but also because unless you have your full set of registration plates or paper transit plates on display your insurance is void - a Gaishnik told me this when he wanted me to pay him for not taking away my plates, I told him to do it because I couldn't see the amount of money he was looking for matched the perceived discomfort of not having plates, but the potential to both write off my motor and to compensate the other party out of my own pocket made it all seem quite reasonable.

Matt

Hi, Matt
The reasons you stated are arguable, but the point is none the less valid. The fine for failure to display 1 (one) of the two plates is 500 rbl (used to be 100 rbl) and this by no means voids your insurance as your vehicle is still clearly identifiable as the one named in the policy. What can void your insurance is using your vehicle on public roads without a current warrant of fitness, although in practice this is often overlooked.
It looks like the Gaishnik simply wanted money, although it is not quite clear from your post what actual reason he gave for taking your plates away.
Possibly what the chap meant was thast once HE takes the plates away from you your vehicle will be illegal to drive, which, consequently, voids the insurance. If you simply lose one of the plates while driving you can only be fined for 500 rbl with no other consequences and/or demerit points. I practice if you can playact a genuine surprise when stopped they'll let you go, but you don't really want the hassle, so the sooner you get a new set of plates the better. Anyway, being an expat and driving here to keep out of trouble it is best to go by the book. To do everything as prescribed once you have the new plates you need to contact your insurance company an give them your new plates and STS (vehicle registration card - the pink laminated thing) as this also changes with the plates. The insurance company will issue a new policy containing the amended details (free of charge).

Cooldude
30-07-2010, 11:31

Syah

I know the address, but they don't provide the service to people they don't know. If you still want to, PM me, although I think in this case it's just not worth it. My advice - go by the book. Doing it the proper way you'll waste a day of your time and pay around 2500 rbl in fees, the fees went up recently, so I'm not sure about the actual amount, but 2500 is the max you'd have to pay.

When you go to GAI make sure you have 1) your vehicle (with clean engine - they will check the numbers) 2) PTS - (passport for the vehicle - big blue folded sheet) 3) STS (registration card - pink laminated thing) - it will be replaced together with the new set of plates. Your own passport/visa/registration (a notarased translation may be required)
4) someone to write an application for yoy in Russian. The application shall go like: Please replace my number plates as on of the plates has been lost under unknown circumstances.

Once you get these update your insurance policy details.

Cheers!

Matt24
30-07-2010, 12:10
Hi, Matt
What can void your insurance is using your vehicle on public roads without a current warrant of fitness, although in practice this is often overlooked.
It looks like the Gaishnik simply wanted money, although it is not quite clear from your post what actual reason he gave for taking your plates away.

Hi Cooldude,

The reason the guy wanted my plates was that I have DFWM plates, that I had recently transferred to a new to me car - the number on which didn't match one of the other documents - not the passport, probably the warrant of fitness - unfortunately the plates don't work when you get side swiped by a part time cabbie crossing the garden ring to pick up a fare - the Gaishnik spotted the discrepancy and went to town on my car. From your note I believe that the Gai was correct in his assertion that my car wouldn't be insured, cos I'd have no plates at all - and that I was hasty in my guess that the need was for a full set, thanks for the clarification and apologies for my misadvice to the forum it was not meant with any malice.

Matt

FlakeySnowballer
30-07-2010, 14:51
Doing it the proper way you'll waste a day of your time

It is a false information. I received new numbers during 1.5 hours.
Also even if you lose your number plate your insurance will be actual still because the main thing for insurance is some datas from PTC.

Cooldude
30-07-2010, 16:58
Hi Cooldude,

The reason the guy wanted my plates was that I have DFWM plates, that I had recently transferred to a new to me car - the number on which didn't match one of the other documents - not the passport, probably the warrant of fitness - unfortunately the plates don't work when you get side swiped by a part time cabbie crossing the garden ring to pick up a fare - the Gaishnik spotted the discrepancy and went to town on my car. From your note I believe that the Gai was correct in his assertion that my car wouldn't be insured, cos I'd have no plates at all - and that I was hasty in my guess that the need was for a full set, thanks for the clarification and apologies for my misadvice to the forum it was not meant with any malice.

Matt

No worries, Matt, we all make mistakes, and, by the way, a valid point in your post for syah2000 all of us somehow missed out on:

when getting your new plates at the GAI don't forget to brung in your current WOF and make sure they give you a new one (it will have the same expiry date though) showing your new plates!!! They should do it at no extra fee on the day you chande your plates, otherwise you'll have to go through the whole WOF procedure to get a new one.

syah2000
02-08-2010, 01:17
Thanks again guys! All your views in this thread could become good references for those who lost their numberplate. :agree:

I still drive my car with one numberplate till today but luckily, no policemen look at my front car bumper which has no plate.. Will try to settle everything by this week.

Syah