PDA

View Full Version : Mee wants to be a Euro.

Green Tea
23-05-2005, 16:20
What are the options for a North American to obtain an EU citizenship?

Been thinking about my future over the weekend and I realized I might want to live somewhere in Europe eventually. But, due to my nationality that AIN'T GONNA BE POSSIBLE... I figure if some Polish chicken farmer is gonna be allowed to work in the EU, so should I !!!

My family history is a huge mix of European (Swedish, Norwegian, German, French, Brit). But they are all Great Grandparents of further back. So, my question is: What, where and how can I get in line ? Any ideas?

DJ Biscuit
23-05-2005, 16:23
EU Citizenship?

Pick a country first .For example, UK, I believe it takes between 3 and 5 years before you get your passport.

Oddly enough just for fun really I applied on line for a USA geen card and got a reply by e mail saying as I am British I am not eligable!!!!

DJ Biscuit
23-05-2005, 16:38
I figure if some Polish chicken farmer is gonna be allowed to work in the EU, so should I !!!

Well the difference is that, apart from the farmer may not be a snob, Poland is a member of the EU, and USA, naturally is not.

Try: www.eurunion.org/states/home.htm

sparky
23-05-2005, 16:43
What are the options for a North American to obtain an EU citizenship?

About the same as an EU citizen trying to obtain US citizenship

Green Tea
23-05-2005, 16:43
Well the difference is that, apart from the farmer may not be a snob, Poland is a member of the EU, and USA, naturally is not.

Ya, but CANADA is practically European :thumbsup:

DJ Biscuit
23-05-2005, 16:50
Sorry for the mistake. However, no Canada is Canada, Europe is several different countries, and is geographically located a long way from Canada. Some Europeans might say Canada is practically USA! :)

Kingwillhe
23-05-2005, 16:53
The road is long as indicated by DJB and varies slightly from member country to member country. I'm Canadian and doing it through Latvia, but Italy would be easier.

Expect to live and work in the country of your choice, after first going through the Residency thing (and all the hoops involved), for 3 to 5 years. Then pass the citizenship test.

DJ Biscuit
23-05-2005, 16:55
Pretty much the same for Britain. You've got to live and work there for up to five years (without a break, I think you can leave the country a couple of weeks a year) and then you are eligable for the test.

Green Tea
23-05-2005, 16:56
Some Europeans might say Canada is practically USA! :)

Well... I'd have to punch those Europeans in the face :cussing:

Just kidding..... I'm peaceful...really :vader:

Green Tea
23-05-2005, 16:58
I'm Canadian and doing it through Latvia

COOL ! I actually love Riga. I lived there for a summer a couple years back. I could see myself hanging around Latvia for a couple years. Latvian might be a b**** to learn though. Paldis, Ludzu...

Benedikt
23-05-2005, 17:03
... you have to LIVE there forst for 5 years, than apply for citizenship, that includes a written and oral test in german ( but more than only 'guten tag' und ' wo ist die naechste kneipe') and there is still no guarantee that citizenship will be granted....

Kingwillhe
23-05-2005, 17:06
COOL ! I actually love Riga. I lived there for a summer a couple years back. I could see myself hanging around Latvia for a couple years. Latvian might be a b**** to learn though. Paldis, Ludzu...
The language is just plain nasty! The first 9 pages of my course book are in tatters...the rest is virgin, but I'm no linguist!

DJ Biscuit
23-05-2005, 17:07
It seems that there is pretty much the same system in each country. 5 years wait while permanently residing in the country, exams, tests and no guarantee. I suppose Britain might be the easiest route for you Green Tea, seeing as you are almost fluent in English!

Green Tea
23-05-2005, 17:16
I suppose Britain might be the easiest route for you Green Tea, seeing as you are almost fluent in English!

Nahhh.... I had my fill of the UK. Edinburgh is really beautiful, but apart from that I'd be driven to alcoholism if I stayed there too long. So gloomy! Such sarcasm!

You not liking me wunderbar Anglish ? :bookworm: