PDA

View Full Version : Super Size Me - DVD pick of the Week

Halyavshik
22-05-2005, 11:54
Well, it ain't exactly 'just out' but I'd like to recommend a documentary flick I watched this week called 'Super Size Me' (or Dvoinaya Portsiya in Russian).

If you like McDonalds, you need to see this. Basic plot is a guy who decides to study the effects of fast food in the wake of recent court cases suing McDonalds for causing obesity. He eats nothing but McD's for a whole month and monitors his results while interspersing bits about marketing, corporate responsibility, and American obesity.

The results of his admittedly biased 'research' are nevertheless pretty astounding.

If you see it, get it. It's entertaining and informative.

Lady Marmalade
22-05-2005, 13:48
Do you have a copy with English?
Can I borrow it?

plastique
22-05-2005, 16:52
Well, it ain't exactly 'just out' but I'd like to recommend a documentary flick I watched this week called 'Super Size Me' (or Dvoinaya Portsiya in Russian).

If you like McDonalds, you need to see this. Basic plot is a guy who decides to study the effects of fast food in the wake of recent court cases suing McDonalds for causing obesity. He eats nothing but McD's for a whole month and monitors his results while interspersing bits about marketing, corporate responsibility, and American obesity.

The results of his admittedly biased 'research' are nevertheless pretty astounding.

If you see it, get it. It's entertaining and informative.

First Donnie Darko, then this....Hal have you now seen any new movies lately? and by new i mean release date??? (just kidding)

Yep...this film put me even further off McDonalds than I was...U wanna know why people all over the world are getting fat, not just us Americans, here is your answer...

Halyavshik
22-05-2005, 20:47
Plast, Baby, I call 'em as I get 'em from the DVD kiosk near my house. My understanding is that they're "new" there. I wanted to avoid recommending the new-release pirate screen copies that everyone else had already reviewed/seen/purchased.

I actually went to McD's last week and still enjoyed my processed chicken nuggets and cholesterol-laden fries. Yummy.

plastique
22-05-2005, 21:40
Plast, Baby, I call 'em as I get 'em from the DVD kiosk near my house. My understanding is that they're "new" there. I wanted to avoid recommending the new-release pirate screen copies that everyone else had already reviewed/seen/purchased.

I actually went to McD's last week and still enjoyed my processed chicken nuggets and cholesterol-laden fries. Yummy.

didn't you see how they make the nuggets and what parts of the chicken they use????? fries are a different story...
PATE!!! his liver turned to pate!!!!

Halyavshik
22-05-2005, 23:24
didn't you see how they make the nuggets and what parts of the chicken they use?????

They're still pretty darn-tootin' tasty with a bit of hot mustard sauce.

Chubby Hubby
22-05-2005, 23:49
McDonalds isn't forcing anyone to buy its products. The advertizing completely misses my demographic; in the States its all about smiling middle class blacks. Russians have asked me, 'why do they use I'm loving it? We're told that love can't be used with the present continuous' and I have to explain that it's black English. I guess they're figuring on reaching suburban middle class whites that listen to hip-hop or at least aren't averse to it. Then again, there have been studies that have shown that young urban black girls start to menstruate about 2 years before they should because of the bovine growth hormones they put in McDonald's burgers. McDonalds is never going to sell more tofu-burgers than all-beef patties, and as long as there's a market for unhealthy food, places like McDonalds will continue to flourish. I'm just surprised their commercials don't feature more poor slobs from parts of the country where all of the restaurants are fast food joints next to the interstate exit.

I don't know ANYONE in the US that goes to McDonalds on a regular basis - most vastly prefer Au Bon Pain - style places. Most people want fresh caesar's salads and that sort of thing. If you've been in Dunkin Doughnuts and Starbucks, they both have started to offer deli sandwiches and wi-fi, which is pretty much the new trend in fast food.

Halyavshik
22-05-2005, 23:54
I don't know ANYONE in the US that goes to McDonalds on a regular basis

Then see the film. You'll be shocked. There's a rather significant portion of the population that DO go to McDonald's regularly. They interview one guy who's eaten at least one Big Mac everyday for the last 20 years for a grand total of over 15 thousand Big Macs.

Chubby Hubby
23-05-2005, 00:03
They were a de facto monopoly in the Tretyakovskaya area for a while. All of the other places were either too expensive or street food. Now we have a food court at the new mall with a Sbarros and a Subways and we're getting a Prime cafe.

I hate how at McDonalds you're always pressured to order the three things - a drink, some fries, and a sandwich. If you order some fries and a sandwich, they're like "so you don't want a drink?" If you order a drink and a sandwich they're like "would you like fries with that?" It's annoying - I'm sure they mention this in the movie. I never get more than a cheeseburger at mcdonalds with my fries and drink because it's just too much food. You feel like a fatass just shoving it in your face.

johnsemlak
24-05-2005, 11:47
Russians have asked me, 'why do they use I'm loving it? We're told that love can't be used with the present continuous' and I have to explain that it's black English.

Do you know that for a fact, that that is the rationale for the slogan 'I'm Loving It'? Because I find it more likely that McD's simply believe that breaking a common rule in English makes the ad catchier. It's a common technique in advertising. I certainly find it difficult to believe an advertising slogan used all over the world (as far as I know) was originally targeted at one minority demographic group in the US.

Random
24-05-2005, 11:52
For what it's worth ...

"I'm lovin' it" was dreamt up by the firm's German advertising agency

equalizer
24-05-2005, 11:59
They were a de facto monopoly in the Tretyakovskaya area for a while. All of the other places were either too expensive or street food. Now we have a food court at the new mall with a Sbarros and a Subways and we're getting a Prime cafe.

I hate how at McDonalds you're always pressured to order the three things - a drink, some fries, and a sandwich. If you order some fries and a sandwich, they're like "so you don't want a drink?" If you order a drink and a sandwich they're like "would you like fries with that?" It's annoying - I'm sure they mention this in the movie. I never get more than a cheeseburger at mcdonalds with my fries and drink because it's just too much food. You feel like a fatass just shoving it in your face.
not for me if ......and if i go i hate the way nothing looks the same as the pictures ,ie nice long golden fries full to the top,in reality its half empty or once you shack it they all fall down to the bottom and again looks half full.
but i think the worst place in moscow is the diner on maykovskaya,after two sips of coke your let with a glass of ice.

DPG
24-05-2005, 12:00
I ate McDs for the first time in 8 years this past Sunday - I was instantly reminded why it will be at least another 8 years before I do so again...horrible, sits in the stomach like slurry!

Still feeling the effects of the 3 hamburgers, 6 nuggets and large fries and milkshake today!

The milkshake was tasty, I will admit, though!

Would love to see the film if I can have a lend (can't find it anywhere)...

plastique
24-05-2005, 12:43
Still feeling the effects of the 3 hamburgers, 6 nuggets and large fries and milkshake today!

Dear lord man! no wonder! That is a lot of crap...you are not a large man...there's gonna be no place for that to go but out...have fun with that one!

fleurt
24-05-2005, 12:51
Saw the documentary, very interesting too. Trouble is, it was the best advertisement for Mc Ds. I was craving a Big Mac afterwards!

Halyavshik
24-05-2005, 12:53
Saw the documentary, very interesting too. Trouble is, it was the best advertisement for Mc Ds. I was craving a Big Mac afterwards!

Somehow, the guy puking all over his car did not seem like a good Big Mac advertisement to me. Call me crazy.

plastique
24-05-2005, 12:56
Coincidentally after this documentary hit the theaters McDonalds started to introduce more healthy options and a healthy happy meal for adults with a salad, water and pedometer---but according to McDonalds "it had nothing to do with anthing reveled in the documentary."

fleurt
24-05-2005, 13:01
Forgot that bit by the end! The lure of a Big Mac was too much!

Halyavshik
24-05-2005, 13:04
Coincidentally after this documentary hit the theaters McDonalds started to introduce more healthy options and a healthy happy meal for adults with a salad, water and pedometer---but according to McDonalds "it had nothing to do with anthing reveled in the documentary."

Not only that, Plasty-girl, they cancelled the 'super-size' philosophy (again, they claim, not in ostensible connection with the film).

P.I.M.P.
24-05-2005, 13:08
For what it's worth ...

"I'm lovin' it" was dreamt up by the firm's German advertising agency

The Germans started with the "Ich liebe es" campaign, having nothing to do with the American market - or ebonics/black slang/whatever you want to call it.

At the time, Justin Timberlake already had a song out called "I'm lovin it" written by Mona Davis originally for Michael Jackson. A lot of cast-off written-for-Michael Jackson songs were used in Timberlake's last album. A month later, McD's used Timberlake to voice the ads with the "I'm lovin it" excerpt of his song (now produced by the Neptunes) and proceeded to sponsor his world tour.

Sexual Overtone Slang in McD's Ad Campaigns:

From Wikipedia:

I'd Hit It is the name of a McDonalds banner ad, part of the "I'm lovin' it" campaign. The phrase began as urban slang to express sexual desire. To "hit" someone means to have sex with that person, usually a woman. "I'd Hit That" is a less common, synonymous phrase. "I'd Hit It", as sexual slang, is used almost exclusively by men.

McDonalds launched the "I'd Hit It" banner ad in late January 2005 with banner ads on the Internet. The first frame features a man and the words, "Double cheeseburger?" In the next frame, he proclaims that he would, indeed, "hit it". He then explains that he is a "dollar menu guy".

Chubby Hubby
24-05-2005, 13:23
Do you know that for a fact, that that is the rationale for the slogan 'I'm Loving It'? Because I find it more likely that McD's simply believe that breaking a common rule in English makes the ad catchier. It's a common technique in advertising. I certainly find it difficult to believe an advertising slogan used all over the world (as far as I know) was originally targeted at one minority demographic group in the US.

I don't like the ad, in fact I'm hating it.

Lled
24-05-2005, 13:46
McDonalds isn't forcing anyone to buy its products. The advertizing completely misses my demographic; in the States its all about smiling middle class blacks. Russians have asked me, 'why do they use I'm loving it? We're told that love can't be used with the present continuous' and I have to explain that it's black English. I guess they're figuring on reaching suburban middle class whites that listen to hip-hop or at least aren't averse to it. Then again, there have been studies that have shown that young urban black girls start to menstruate about 2 years before they should because of the bovine growth hormones they put in McDonald's burgers. McDonalds is never going to sell more tofu-burgers than all-beef patties, and as long as there's a market for unhealthy food, places like McDonalds will continue to flourish. I'm just surprised their commercials don't feature more poor slobs from parts of the country where all of the restaurants are fast food joints next to the interstate exit.

I don't know ANYONE in the US that goes to McDonalds on a regular basis - most vastly prefer Au Bon Pain - style places. Most people want fresh caesar's salads and that sort of thing. If you've been in Dunkin Doughnuts and Starbucks, they both have started to offer deli sandwiches and wi-fi, which is pretty much the new trend in fast food.

Interesting points but what does wi-fi taste like? Is it like chicken?

RDV
30-05-2005, 19:35
Would love to see the film if I can have a lend (can't find it anywhere)...

Bolero.ru

329 rubles and 188 rubles for DVD and VHS respectively. Or is that too expensive? ;)

RDV
30-05-2005, 19:47

I read all follow-up posts but still want to comment on this one.

If this is a worldwide campaign, just how many people in China or in Nizhny Novgorod will know it's a mistake in English? I bet more people will remember it just because it's one of the few slogans in English where they live.

Chubby Hubby
30-05-2005, 23:07
Interesting points but what does wi-fi taste like? Is it like chicken?

To paraphase Douglas Adams, it is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike chicken.

329 rubles for a DVD... did Putin individually inspect them to make sure they weren't copies?

RDV
31-05-2005, 19:45
329 rubles for a DVD... did Putin individually inspect them to make sure they weren't copies?

Aga! And one of his men will even deliver it to you for another 50 :p

veejay
31-05-2005, 19:59
have to admit that i thought the film was great, albeit disturbing. i don't often eat at McDs at all...regardless of where i am...but, gotta tell ya, i had the worst sort of cravin for it after seeing that film...

good pick, hal...

Surok
31-05-2005, 20:12
so did I - I was longing for a McDs.

then I went....and vowed never to go again. It was gross, and not just because of the film.