PDA

View Full Version : VDNKH Shashlik Rip-off

Voot
25-07-2010, 22:56
Just thought I'd let people know to be careful of RIP-OFF when ordering shashlik in Vdnkh. Some may have experienced this already. I don't know if the same applies to all places in Vdnkh. This place was in the second half of the park, past the golden Friendship statue on the right hand side (almost last place).

They use the old price by the gram trick to confuse their prices. All we ordered were salmon shashlik x2 with salad, bread, two beers and 1 water. When the bill came at the end it was a real shock. Over 4000 roubles (and even 600 roubles for salad!). We tried to argue with them but they became aggressive and threatened to call the militsia. I don't mind paying for good food and service. But here we were eating outside with plastic knife and fork off a plastic plate. For that price, we could have had a 3-course meal with wine in an average establishment. The thing that really annoys me is we've had similar shashlik in Izmailovo for 700 roubles. So I guess it's a case of pick your shashlik parks carefully. We've decided next time we order, we'll ask for the bill before we eat.:jawdrop:

AndreyS
25-07-2010, 23:47
First, feel for you. Stressful situation you experienced.
Some advice: yes, they have a magic word "militsia", and it works.
Several magic words for you: Can I see a manager? Could you check a bill please? Could you pls bring me a book of complaints?
Contain yourself, be polite, don't argue, just insist that they do the aforementioned before you pay the bill.
As soon as they realize you are going to put a complaint in their book, they will tone down and be more cooperative.
It could work (somehow).

tvadim133
26-07-2010, 00:24
Have you checked prices before in menue?

Actually such kind of prices are not normal at all for open street cafe or let's say cafes in VDNKH.

I guess, you have been fooled, in case the prices in menue were different with prices in you bill (but I heard about such kind of cases 14 years ago, last time).

It is a very serious breaking of customers' laws!

Thank you for sharing this experience!

ReallyGreatConcerts
26-07-2010, 00:41
600 roubles for a salad, on a plastic plate??! Jeez!!

FatAndy
26-07-2010, 11:02
Welcome to Moscow!

Typical "razvod", as it frequently appears there. I think topicstarter should follow Vadim' and Andrey' recommendations.

Price per 100 g trick isn't rare thing even in big stable shops.

600 roubles for a salad, on a plastic plate??! Jeez!!

alouette
26-07-2010, 13:23
Been rip-off there too and some of my friends as well. Never ever I'll have a meal in Vdnkh again :yuk:

tasel
26-07-2010, 13:38
I too had the same experience at VDNK, but it was 12yrs back. We were 7 people and decided to have shaslik. When we saw the price list, we were happy with the cheap menu, but we got 440volt shock when we saw the bill. The great thing was, it was the 98 crisis period and so we managed come out with $250 bill.
Later heard such stories with most of my friends.

ReallyGreatConcerts
26-07-2010, 15:20
If you want loooovely shashlik, made fresh to your exact order, by friendly and charming Armenian people, then I recommend the park at Lublino, next to the palace. Very reasonable prices, delicious summer food in the open air :)

Voot
26-07-2010, 19:18
Thanks for the advice and similar stories. We've put it down to experience. My wife almost doesn't want to eat Shashlik ever again and certainly not at VDNKH. It makes you wonder how they get business. However, maybe good has come from it. From now on, unless we know the place we'll ask for a bill in advance. And maybe I'll learn of other places that serve good shashlik at OK prices. So far there is:

1/ Park Lublino (next to the palace)
2/ Park Izmailovo (exit Partinskaya Metro and cross over to park. 5 minute walk through park to a place on your right near a square (Coca-Cola umbrellas). Around 700 Roubles for two.

Any more?

Btw, the sand sculptures at VDNKH were quite impressive.

au7045
26-07-2010, 20:14
Just thought I'd let people know to be careful of RIP-OFF when ordering shashlik in Vdnkh. Some may have experienced this already. I don't know if the same applies to all places in Vdnkh. This place was in the second half of the park, past the golden Friendship statue on the right hand side (almost last place).

They use the old price by the gram trick to confuse their prices. All we ordered were salmon shashlik x2 with salad, bread, two beers and 1 water. When the bill came at the end it was a real shock. Over 4000 roubles (and even 600 roubles for salad!). We tried to argue with them but they became aggressive and threatened to call the militsia. I don't mind paying for good food and service. But here we were eating outside with plastic knife and fork off a plastic plate. For that price, we could have had a 3-course meal with wine in an average establishment. The thing that really annoys me is we've had similar shashlik in Izmailovo for 700 roubles. So I guess it's a case of pick your shashlik parks carefully. We've decided next time we order, we'll ask for the bill before we eat.:jawdrop:

Unfortunately must admit - been there done that! Same story with me, my friend was visiting from the states, and we decided to get a quick, cheap lunch. Two skewrs of lamb Shashlik, a couple of beers and a salad like you, and our cheap lunch cost us 5000 rubles. I should have kept the plastic utensils and the plates! Even though I must admit the shashlik was really good, It's non the less an unbelievable rip off!! I dine-out all the time in different places, and have never come across a joint like this. I think something should to be done about it!:11513: How about an Expat Raid?:voodoo:

alouette
26-07-2010, 21:16
'Expat raid'? Oh, right, they'll be tremble with fear. LOL.
But seriously, it was just a warning to those who haven't had a nasty experience so they'd avoid it. Simple.

dontcallme
26-07-2010, 23:03
I guess I was lucky then. I was walking around VDNKH a few weeks ago and wanted to stop in for some cheap shashlik. Fortunately my girlfriend said she wasn't hungry and we gave it a miss.

I hope enough people read this and don't have the same experience.

mikegulf
26-07-2010, 23:04
The best shashlik are those made at home with friends!!!

zingo
26-07-2010, 23:17
> and threatened to call the militsia

No problem so, ask them to call the cops, give 1000 rub to the cops and tell them you fill an official complaint against these tshornie who tried to scam you, copes will be happy :) Finally you will have paid 1000 rub and got new cops friends :)

Willy
27-07-2010, 10:31
But seriously, it was just a warning to those who haven't had a nasty experience so they'd avoid it. Simple.

If you could get enough people say 20 or 30 it might work.

Like to see what would happen if all those people didn't want to pay at the same time.

The mob rules!

au7045
27-07-2010, 10:34

I think it would be funny to hear on the next day news headlines about how the night before an armed group of angry expats, consisting of Moscows visitors from all over the world, stormed into nightly VDNH and pillaged the Shashlik stands leaving behind smoldering ruines of the open air cafes and letters of complaints about the inappropriately high food prices! I think it would just be funny as hell!

Oskorbinka
27-07-2010, 10:38
Awful! It can't be true.. I've never heard such stories with russians.

But how about shashlik in Kolomenskoe? I like the park and prices are reasonable. Moreover, there are plenty of eateries. I recommend you to visit)

FatAndy
27-07-2010, 10:59
Because we don't give up for such "razvod". Too much experience. ;)

Yes, at Kolomenskoe shashlyk is good, medovuha too.

Awful! It can't be true.. I've never heard such stories with russians.

But how about shashlik in Kolomenskoe? I like the park and prices are reasonable. Moreover, there are plenty of eateries. I recommend you to visit)

corz
27-07-2010, 13:06
make your own sashlik with your friend and go to the park,enjoy the summer and get tan:sunny:

Benedikt
27-07-2010, 13:28
> and threatened to call the militsia

No problem so, ask them to call the cops, give 1000 rub to the cops and tell them you fill an official complaint against these tshornie who tried to scam you, copes will be happy :) Finally you will have paid 1000 rub and got new cops friends :)

they never will do it. because they are shit scared of them. all the shashlik sellers have no sanitation booklet, no documentation where the meat comes from and so forth. they just try to frighten you, thinking a foreigner will immideately wet his pants when the law is called in.
Let them call the cops, and see who wins.
But in all fairness, if a price is to good to be true, then for sure it is. when doing your shashliks, did you see that they were weighing the meat or fish,meaning, the price was for 100 gr and you got the actual weight?

If so, these yo yo's must have a document that the scales are calibrated. THEY don't have things like that, in most cases the scales are wrong, tricking you out of at least 50 gramms. which happens with every and each scale, electronic or not, shashlik or market or shop...
if YOU know the law, shove it down their throat, together with their stinking shashlik and rotten tomatoes and wilted 'kinza'. NO one is going to rip off me, that's for sure.
They see a foreigner, who in most cases can not read russian, speaks the language badly and well, you made his day.

by the way, the best shashlik in town is done at Ismailovo at the Vernisage. There you have since many years the shashlik sellers together with their cast iron grills. The prices are all the same, food is good, they all work clean, no one is smoking and working,and this is NOT by the orders of the authorities. But these people realiesed, there is business more then enough for each and every one, so rather work together instead of against each other. All of them speak a few words or sentences english, french, italian or german. just do yourself the favor, if you like your meat that way, tell them right from the beginning, you do not want your meat well done. and you will get a juicy lamb, beef or chicken shashlik.I know, since i know the scene since 20 years, when there was no 'ismailosky kremlin', no vodka museum, nothing. just a few stalls and the fleamarket. but the meat was always good, beer always cold and in winter when it was freezing we had/have our tea with 'addition'... THAT is the only place where i ever will eat a shashlik in Moscow.

Gypsy
27-07-2010, 18:56
by the way, the best shashlik in town is done at Ismailovo at the Vernisage. There you have since many years the shashlik sellers together with their cast iron grills. The prices are all the same, food is good, they all work clean, no one is smoking and working,and this is NOT by the orders of the authorities. But these people realiesed, there is business more then enough for each and every one, so rather work together instead of against each other. All of them speak a few words or sentences english, french, italian or german. just do yourself the favor, if you like your meat that way, tell them right from the beginning, you do not want your meat well done. and you will get a juicy lamb, beef or chicken shashlik.I know, since i know the scene since 20 years, when there was no 'ismailosky kremlin', no vodka museum, nothing. just a few stalls and the fleamarket. but the meat was always good, beer always cold and in winter when it was freezing we had/have our tea with 'addition'... THAT is the only place where i ever will eat a shashlik in Moscow.
It is very good. The places at Park Pobedy are good too - probably the massive police presence there helps.

All prices are per portion, all the same prices in each stall, and good quality.

alouette
27-07-2010, 23:12
In Sokolniki park, some places make good shashlick and prices are even cheaper than in Victory park.

Willy
28-07-2010, 20:14
Maybe I should just start the "Why Willy won't like America" thread?

tvadim133
28-07-2010, 20:15
Maybe I should just start the "Why Willy won't like America" thread?

Good idea!

Judge
28-07-2010, 20:34
Posts about Willy's love/hate relationship with America have been moved ..
Please continue here..

http://www.expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=233514

alouette
28-07-2010, 20:48
Good thinking

Voot
28-07-2010, 22:45
So, best places:

1/ Park Lublino (next to the palace)
2/ Park Izmailovo (exit Partinskaya Metro and cross over to park. 5 minute walk through park to a place on your right near a square (Coca-Cola umbrellas). Around 700 Roubles for two.
3/ Yes, at Kolomenskoe shashlyk is good, medovuha too.
4/ By the way, the best shashlik in town is done at Ismailovo at the Vernisage.
5/ The places at Park Pobedy are good too - probably the massive police presence there helps.
6/ Sokolniki park, some places make good shashlick and prices are even cheaper than in Victory park.

FatAndy
29-07-2010, 00:18
Voot, the best one:
7) Meat marenaded by yourself (white wine, herbs, onion, lemon, spices), made by baking over coals yourself too at river/lake embankment, with friends, cold vodka or chilled red wine, with adjika, fresh tomatoes and cucumbers! ;)

AndreyS
29-07-2010, 00:25
Voot, the best one:
7) Meat marenaded by yourself (white wine, herbs, onion, lemon, spices), made by baking over coals yourself too at river/lake embankment, with friends, cold vodka or chilled red wine, with adjika, fresh tomatoes and cucumbers! ;)

Absolutely!

Evan
29-07-2010, 01:33
Voot, the best one:

Did almost the same marination on the meat(pork) except i used red wine instead of white : D You should try bbq-ing squid marinated with curry powder and curry leaves! No kidding. Awesome stuff!

FatAndy
29-07-2010, 11:23
Well, Evan, everyone can (and even must!) develop own marenade procedure, in process and components ;) - because people are different and have different tastes.
And then sharing recipes is sufficient...

I also can use dry Soviet champagne to make marenade, but regarding red wine - IMHO, it goes better with ready meat, although I tested it as marenade too... but with squid never yet... maybe I'll try it sometime in Vladik. ;)

AntonMonastyrev
16-08-2010, 17:21
Haha, lucky I didn't buy anything but kv**** I saw the 100 gr. thing when I saw the shashlik and I wanted to buy it, but I didn't understand, 100 gr.? How much does that give me...then when I said, yep, 100 gr., she starts saying things like, oh, you want me to take only 100 gr... this was near the entrance...

I've been to Brothers A, I think, the shashlyki were awesome there...or at least after at least 5-6 shots of vodka...