PDA

View Full Version : Americans who Drive...

SovietPimp
22-07-2010, 14:01
Does anyone know what the situation is for Americans who drive in Russia.

I have temporary residency here, and I have been told both that I need to get a russian license ORRRR that alll I need is a translation of my American license.

The US has different driving laws then Europe so I really need an answer from a US perspective.

Jared
23-07-2010, 06:48
I recently went to AAA branch office to get an international driver permit, they said it will work in Russia as long as I have my driver license. I think you could try and contact them it is only $15 for a year. I hope this helps some.

SovietPimp
23-07-2010, 11:13
Thanks Jared, the problem is that I rarely get back to the US (once every two years or so) so trying to get the international license constanltly redone probably won't work for me :(

Gypsy
23-07-2010, 11:30
One of my partners in Canadian. he drives on an International Driving permit along with his Canadian license. He has a number of these Permits so that when the cops threaten to confiscate them he just says "OK, take it."

I'm not sure how to get them - he says he just applies to an office in Ottawa and they issue them. I drive on my French license and that seems to be OK.

Jared
24-07-2010, 01:36
I think you could apply through the mail

"INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT

PLEASE NOTE: If you are already overseas, please follow the instructions above and mail your application.to:

AAA/IDP
1000 AAA Drive
Heathrow, FL 32746
Mail Stop 28"

This was taken from the AAA site, so maybe this will work for you? As for getting a bunch of them I don't know if that is really legal? I mean I never thought about it....Then again maybe you can apply for one and another like side by side say "August 5-August 5 2011...Then August 5-August 5 2012" I wonder if that is okay like paying $30 to get two of them?

Monti
24-07-2010, 23:20
I would recommend you to get a Russian Translation from the Notary of your American Driver's license and also get an IDL(its a book and a card)....cost me about 2000 roubles from Yandex, it has 8 languages in it including Russian and is issued based on our original license.This way in case the traffic police stop you they won't be able to have any argument cos usually for its important that a foreigner have a translation....but for most cops the IDL is enough.Getting it is pretty easy they deliver it by courier to your address and can issue as many copies you want.I recently had my IDl revoked and got a new one issued.

krolik49
27-09-2010, 14:35
Hey!
I live in Kazan. I use a certified translation of my Washington State dsrivers license. I got pulled over once and had no problems with that. 30% of Russian drivers "buy" their drivers licences' here hence so many crazy-ass drivers. If you have some Russian friends they can show you how to do this...there is a small risk that you might try to bribe the verly rare "honest" and have a problem. If you don't have the AAA international
(only good for a year anyway) just get the certified Russian translation. Good luck
Dan
kazan

Gypsy
27-09-2010, 16:39
I recently went to AAA branch office to get an international driver permit, they said it will work in Russia as long as I have my driver license. I think you could try and contact them it is only $15 for a year. I hope this helps some.

One of my partners who is Canadian has several of these which he uses ie gives up; on a regular basis. It seems to work.

I drive on my French license which helps enormously: I was once legitimately stopped, for an illegal u-turn, they wanted to do things according to the book, but faced with a British Passport and a French license they looked at their forms, looked at my docs, gave up and sent me on my way with a lecture.

krolik49
29-09-2010, 10:07
You can do this by mail. I did. Email the local AAA nearest your home town for info.