PDA

View Full Version : Purchase of Russian Stocks

Black Knight
18-05-2005, 16:59
What is the best stock company in Russia from which a Russian can buy $30-50k of stock of a Russian company. Would want to be reasonably sure that the purchase was legit and to receive actual stock certificates.

tgma
19-05-2005, 09:20
There is no such thing as stock certificates in Russia - the most you can hope for is a document from the registrar confirming your entry in the shareholder register. In any case, most brokers keep their stock with a custodian in a street name, so it would take a lot of effort for you to get your name on the register. It can be done, but I would imagine most brokers would be unwilling to do it for you, or they might take an extra fee.

There are a couple of reputable on line brokers here - try Web-invest bank, or Aton-line. I'm not 100% sure, but I guess that they keep their stock with DKK, the depositary and clearing centre, that is owned by major brokers and banks, and which is analogous to the DCC in the US. It's all pretty safe, as long as you are dealing with someone reputable. Other local brokers are IFK Metropol, Prospekt. Troika might take a $30-50,000 order, but it would probably be on the small side.