PDA

View Full Version : Registration... again

Nordash
17-05-2005, 16:07
Couple days ago I saw the police stop two random women and check their passports. Later on someone told me they were checking for registration.

Since my stay in Moscow is short (2 months long), I was wondering if I had to register? Does anyone know of the exact grace period when it will no longer be OK to pass by the cop with no proper registration?

I've been given different dates by the Moscovites and no one seems to know for sure - some say 1 month, others 6...

Thank you!

Random
17-05-2005, 16:14
3 days ... is the grace period ...

Period. Full Stop. End of debate ...

Green Tea
17-05-2005, 16:24
I'm kind of worried too. I've been here 3.5 months now. My B@$TARD (!!!) landlord stalled and stalled and finally refused to make the DEZ letter for me. His final argument was that it's not written in our contract, even though we agreed to it and shook hands on the day I first signed the papers and payed him his over-inflated rent. So, I can't register myself legally. Only option would be to do it illegally, and that just seems retarded. I've never once been stopped by police *knock on wood* but I am getting nervous about leaving after my 6 months.... Any advice what I should do ? DO it illegaly ? Or take my chance and pay the fine at the border??? The part that really sucks is I WANT to register, but can't do it without a whole lot of headache.

Random
17-05-2005, 16:38
Green Tea - I cannot advise you what to do sadly

I think its an issue if you get stopped - however the thing is that registration is a matter for the local police it is not a border matter - having said that I am sure there are war stories out there of people who got stopped by the passport people.

I personally have the same problem and register every month using GAA ...

roni29
17-05-2005, 20:59
I'm still not registered yet either (landlord problems too!!) but have been told that if I am stopped on the street, all they will do is check the validity of my passport as I am a foreigner...no actual registration documentation would be in my passport even if I was registered.

So I'm told that the only potential problem for me being unregistered will be when I leave the country. Then I face a fine.

I've also have gone through stressing over all the options about registering, like Green Tea. In the end, I figured that I won't bother with getting registered illegally and personally I highly doubt the efficiency of the Russian beauracracy to 'catch' me as I pass through passport control at the airport. I leave the country in a few days, so I'll let you know if they do fine me!

But ultimately I am just going by what I have been told by other ex-pats...always dodgy! ;)

roni29
17-05-2005, 21:28
Just discovered that I was totally misinformed on the registering documentation in your passport issue - I was assured that you don't have anything IN your passport to say you are registered but that is wrong. My husband definitely has a registration stamp in his passport and I don't. At least I know now!

I will still take my chances on not registering in the next few days before I leave. It should be possible (fingers crossed!) for me to get registered within the requisite 3 working days of my return in a few weeks so that my next stay in Moscow will be all above board.

Sigh!

equalizer
17-05-2005, 23:39
Just discovered that I was totally misinformed on the registering documentation in your passport issue - I was assured that you don't have anything IN your passport to say you are registered but that is wrong. My husband definitely has a registration stamp in his passport and I don't. At least I know now!

I will still take my chances on not registering in the next few days before I leave. It should be possible (fingers crossed!) for me to get registered within the requisite 3 working days of my return in a few weeks so that my next stay in Moscow will be all above board.

Sigh!
go to gaa travel they will and can backdate all your registrations for 30us per month and gives you peace of mind ,as from your posts i see you are a worrier which is good here ,they have helped a couple of my friends out and its legal,checked personally.

kniga
18-05-2005, 11:12
Equalizer,

Can you give some more specifics about gaa travel?

Random
18-05-2005, 11:38
I use GAA Travel - but beware as I said in an earlier post they just put the prices to Euros not USD - so make sure when you speak to them your all on the same page re the currency.

Other than that happy with the service ...

kniga
18-05-2005, 12:20
Eualizer or Random,

Can you give me a website URL or address of GAA Travel? And yes, I read your warning about the switch in currencies, thank you.

equalizer
18-05-2005, 13:06
Eualizer or Random,

Can you give me a website URL or address of GAA Travel? And yes, I read your warning about the switch in currencies, thank you.
since the site is working like crap and not a lot works i have dug out some old files costing me lots of time ............ok here we go telephone no for gaa 9247385,now the girls are ok and considering what they do for you, ignore the price ,oh and they give you options one day two or three for the registration and returning of the passport,fingers crossed the site will be working soon..........................................................

kniga
18-05-2005, 14:43
Equalizer,

Thank you!

equalizer
18-05-2005, 14:45
Equalizer,

Thank you!
ps its just down the road from the hyatt on the same side as you go to vouge cafe

roni29
20-05-2005, 18:37
Thanks Equalizer!

Will certainly try GAA travel if my husband's work still can't/won't register me next month. Thanks for finding their contact details.

Had to laugh about being labelled a 'worrier', I know it's all relative but I have had two mates now call off their trips to Moscow when they panicked at the realisation that they had to get tourist visas! :)

plastique
20-05-2005, 20:55
It is my understanding that the Moscow registration is a city not federal thing so you should have no problem upon exiting at passport control as that is a federal entity.

equalizer
20-05-2005, 21:18
It is my understanding that the Moscow registration is a city not federal thing so you should have no problem upon exiting at passport control as that is a federal entity.
maybe so ,but for newcomers its better to be safe than sorry,i am sure a lot of us who have been here a while can smooth our way out of most things but i remember when i was first here ,always relieved when the plane door closed.made it

David J
21-05-2005, 15:27
Registration is a Federal issue. The only time I have had problems with registration is when traveling to other regions. If you are going to places like the Caucasus or Kaliningrad, make sure you have zee papers in order.

equalizer
21-05-2005, 17:50
federal or municipal it comes down to you should have it ,its easy to do and available all over moscow ,and if you dont you give them a chance (officers of the law)to bend you over,and if you are a newcomer it can be hair raising experiance ,as some officers actually are scared to take the bribe.