PDA

View Full Version : Complaint to anybody from Citibank Russia on expat.ru (Rant)

P.I.M.P.
12-05-2005, 15:02
What the hell were you guys thinking when you installed only ONE cashier window in every branch you are opening around town?

Yesterday, I stopped by to make a deposit and there were literally about 30 people in line at the window at your Tverskaya (Teatralnaya) branch.

I understand youíve fitted your ATM machines with deposit envelopes, but I still donít have enough trust in you to drop off $4500 without worrying that someone at the bank might slip a bill in their pocket when emptying envelopes and then it will be your word against mine about who counted properly.

AlfaBank Express did better with each teller and associate being able to accept cash from clients. Now that youíre expanding and putting up numerous branches around town, can you PLEASE put up at least two windows at your branches? You can always lower the blinds on one for your non-busy periods.

Spasibo!

(Not like this will make any difference)

DJ Biscuit
12-05-2005, 15:11
Guy, I hear you. I go to that branch to make a deposit once a month and have to wait sometimes over an hour! Absolute disgrace. It's stiffling hot in there too, people 'save' places and appear again 40 minutes later, the usual stuff. It's a bank for chrissake, unbelievable. And it's always that way regardless of day or time.

P.I.M.P.
12-05-2005, 15:21
Amen. I could understand if it was a tiny express branch with just an ATM, but this is a full-service branch with at least 6 glass cubicles with associates sitting around with their thumbs up their butts while you wait in line. And it is pretty damn hot in there.

I understand they're trying to get the masses to make deposits at the ATM, but I still won't trust the envelope method in Russia.

DJ Biscuit
12-05-2005, 15:30
Firstly I don't trust that envelope thing either but secondly you and I cannot use that facility because we are foreigners, I tried last November and it said that foreigners are not alloed to deposit in that manner!! They want us queueing up.

P.I.M.P.
12-05-2005, 15:50
Payback for years of waiting in the kolbasa line :(

sevan
12-05-2005, 16:05
AlfaBank Express did better with each teller and associate being able to accept cash from clients. Now that youíre expanding and putting up numerous branches around town, can you PLEASE put up at least two windows at your branches? You can always lower the blinds on one for your non-busy periods.

You obviously have not had to work with AlfaBank Express. Citibank probably opted for quality over quantity because I never found ONE qualified teller in the AlfaBank Express branch I worked with (and there were new smiling, completely incompetent faces in there every week). Not sure which is more frustrating....

DJ Biscuit
12-05-2005, 16:21
At Citibank you get both!

trebor
12-05-2005, 17:36
Why is it Russians always seem to except (put up) with bad service?
If they didn't a lot of these things wouldn't happen.

P.I.M.P.
12-05-2005, 17:54
Soon after posting this message, I got a PM from a member here involved in designing and fitting out the Citibank branches in Russia. He has forwarded this info to the head of Citibank Russia.

Hip Hip Hooray!

DJ Biscuit
12-05-2005, 17:59
I think that's great. Did Citibank come up with the requirements or did the well known company that fitted their branches (name of which we all know) come up with the designs I wonder?

Not sure what difference it'll make but it does show some proaction and says a lot for this site.

Woohoo!

P.I.M.P.
12-05-2005, 18:11
Yep, he mentioned Citibank gave 'em the requirements. I doubt they'll tear up existing branches, but it might help with future sites.

CRAYOLA
12-05-2005, 18:59
Wish I would have read this earlier. I had an experience at Citi that involved lining up to make a deposit 20 minutes before closing. I was told that even if I was still in line, the window would close on time!
Also you are right not to trust the atm's, I have had one lost and it was a battle to get credited.

trebor
12-05-2005, 19:09
Soon after posting this message, I got a PM from a member here involved in designing and fitting out the Citibank branches in Russia. He has forwarded this info to the head of Citibank Russia.

Hip Hip Hooray!

Oh right. That'll do the trick then! :)
Why would head office take notice of a FW message from someone involved in the design process?
Russia needs people to throw bricks through the windows of companies who dish out **** service.
Untill the masses say "Het" nothing will change.

peyote
12-05-2005, 19:13
the company i work for transfers salaries into citibank cards except for me.

- cuban? not allowed because of the embargo...
- excuse me? i'm a f*** exile, you idiot!

needles to say they denied me an account. i'm glad i don't have to deal with them a**holes.

DJ Biscuit
12-05-2005, 19:31
Huh? So even though Citibank is kinda like a franchise and we're in Moscow the US embargo has meaning to the way they conduct business? Totally stupid.

equalizer
12-05-2005, 19:32
I think that's great. Did Citibank come up with the requirements or did the well known company that fitted their branches (name of which we all know) come up with the designs I wonder?

Not sure what difference it'll make but it does show some proaction and says a lot for this site.

Woohoo!
who is the well known company,sorry i dont know

DJ Biscuit
12-05-2005, 19:34
I don't think I can give the name out here, especially as it appears they are not at fault for the design fault in Citibank. I mean, it doesn't matter who they are.

equalizer
12-05-2005, 19:46
I don't think I can give the name out here, especially as it appears they are not at fault for the design fault in Citibank. I mean, it doesn't matter who they are.
why its a public forum i am not going to give them bad reviews i thought the quality of workmanship to be first class ,just to know ,for future ref,pm the name

peyote
12-05-2005, 19:49
Huh? So even though Citibank is kinda like a franchise and we're in Moscow the US embargo has meaning to the way they conduct business? Totally stupid.stupid indeed. however, i suspect this was some idiot uninformed manager. someone told me i could sue them for violating russian banking laws, discrimination, etc, but i just couldn't care less and opened my account in my following trip to london. without any hassles, if i may add.

a year later the company cancelled with citibank and moved salaries to bank moskvi... if they would have known my influences :D

equalizer
12-05-2005, 19:53
why its a public forum i am not going to give them bad reviews i thought the quality of workmanship to be first class ,just to know ,for future ref,pm the name
thanks for the info dj

trebor
12-05-2005, 19:57
Citibank have decided on a business model with their ATM machines which has no relation to the local market. ie; trust, time to completion and customer relations.
Its a simple case where a concept is functional in one place (USA) so someone in head office simply duplicates it somewhere else without any local knowledge.
And one of the reasons its so easy to do here is because Russians will quietly take what they are given.

trebor
12-05-2005, 19:58
Citibank have decided on a business model with their ATM machines which has no relation to the local market. ie; trust, time to completion and customer relations.
Its a simple case where a concept is functional in one place (USA) so someone in head office simply duplicates it somewhere else without any local knowledge.
And one of the reasons its so easy to do here is because Russians will quietly take what they are given and the market is so tight.

pressmostimes
12-05-2005, 20:35
Here's my Citibank Russia rant :

I'm a long-time Citibank US client, 4 accounts in New York, perfect credit score, etc.

In 2003 I applied to Citibank Russia for account. After submiting bank references, etc, work references, etc. I am rejected. Why? Because my electrical bill in Moscow is in my wife's name, not mine, even though we own apartment together and I presented the ownership document. The manager was stubborn and would not accept any other proof of residency.

I went to International Moscow Bank and now enjoy excellent service, none of this Citibank line nonesense - even at lunch time I wait maximum 5 minutes for service. Moreoever, all deposits are guaranteed as IMB is owned and operated by a conglomerate of leading German banks.

Hick_hop
13-05-2005, 13:09
Believe me, they earned this epithet for their service long ago in the US. I am not defender of Citi, and myself have had none of these problems with Raiffeisen (recommended highly). However, what I can't get my head around is why you are getting $54000 per year in cash that you have to deposit from your employer? Even if you are not legally employed here, just have them transfer from their off shore account into your home country account and every so often wire yourself funds. Problem solved.

kennor
28-06-2005, 15:26
Does anyone know how to telephone a responsible person at CitIBANK? Most of the people who answer the phone aren't well enough trained to answer a question.

Lled
28-06-2005, 15:32
Payback for years of waiting in the kolbasa line :(

How is the kolbasa line our fault? They blame that on Ronnie Reagan too or what?

exprumos
28-06-2005, 15:34
That's the secret - there is noone you can call.
I recently tried to take money from the BSGV atm downstairs from my office. After two cancelled attempts, witnessed by a cashier, becuase the machine tried to retain my card, I got 2 text messages from citibank confirming that my account had been debited.
Could I get someone on the phone to handle the problem? Could I f*ck.
I have to go to a citibank branch and queue for the forms, fill them in at the branch and then queue to speak to someone. They won't even mail the forms out to me.
Incompetent morons are nearly as bad as Irish banks.

jheisel
28-06-2005, 15:46
I believe it was Vedomosti that ran the following headline: Citibank - the McDonald's of the banking sector.

Ghost
28-06-2005, 15:49
He has forwarded this info to the head of Citibank Russia.

Who will promptly delete it as spam.

RDV
28-06-2005, 17:03

And this happens with all global companies! Not just banks. It's frustrating that some guy (or even a group) in NY or LA comes up with a model which is then implemented with few changes worldwide. So stupid!!! How well will a Russian visiting the US for the first time do there? Tons of "bumps and bruises" due to lack of knowledge. Well, Citibank is like an 80-year old fart who doesn't want to to adapt.

And one of the reasons its so easy to do here is because Russians will quietly take what they are given.

In many cases, sadly - yes. But most of my friends do choose services based on quality. I made a mistake signing up with Citibank. I am done as of next month. Raiffeisen is my next stop.

Moi dva rublya

RDV
28-06-2005, 17:05
I believe it was Vedomosti that ran the following headline: Citibank - the McDonald's of the banking sector.

LOL! :agree: :thumbsup: So bloody true!

kilam
28-06-2005, 17:19
Is it not possible for you guys to have your salary deposited
into your banks in your home countries?.I will be scared carrying a lot of cash in Moscow.My salary goes direct to my bank in UK.I don't need any bank accounts here.I
use the ATM close to my office to take money.

Ghost
28-06-2005, 17:27
Amen. I consider getting charged the ATM fee the cost of security in an otherwise unsecure land. I will never put money in a bank here.

kniga
28-06-2005, 18:27
Why bank at Citibank? Try Raifaissen where all the clerks are trained, service is swift and courteous and for the Russian language impaired, they all speak English. Stop bitching and vote with your feet!

Sheepy
29-06-2005, 07:54
The problem I have with S*itibank is that I have a Rouble account into which my salary is paid (obviously in roubles). However, I am allowed to withdraw money from an ATM but cannot pay by card at stores around the city.

The reason - I am a foreigner :confused:

For this, I need to transefer my roubles to a dollar account.

Anyone able to explain this little gem?

Andy B
29-06-2005, 08:35
I've said it before in other threads but I get paid directly into an offshore account in the Isle of Man. No hassles, GBP (+ EUR and USD if you want) account, phone and internet banking, straight forward international and UK cash transfers and most importantly to me, a friendly voice as point of contact if ever I need assistance.

As Ghost said, OK we take a small hit at ATM machines, but this is a small price to pay for secure and good service. I have a VISA debit card with the account so most things can be paid for with that anyway.

I have no need at all for a Russian bank account.

Lady Marmalade
29-06-2005, 11:57
The problem I have with S*itibank is that I have a Rouble account into which my salary is paid (obviously in roubles). However, I am allowed to withdraw money from an ATM but cannot pay by card at stores around the city.

The reason - I am a foreigner :confused:

For this, I need to transefer my roubles to a dollar account.

Anyone able to explain this little gem?

My god, it's Sheepy! :suspect: For real? :suspect: You're alive? :verycool: :hooray: :hooray: :hooray:
That being a foreigner thingy is plain old bullpucky as far as I'm concerned. I have a citibank card and I can use it as a debit card in stores around the city and I just scream "foreigner" when I enter an establishment with my fleece jacket and hiking boots on. The main reason I dislike this bank is because the ATM's are so widely spaced that I either have to hoof it to the start of Novy Arbat or the Sheraton hotel lobby or bug someone to let me into the US embassy so I can get to one of their stinking ATM's so I don't have to pay their outrageous transaction fees. Yikes and it's my own fault because I wanted a recognizable namebrand that I thought I could trust. I know, I know, very dumb and naive of me and a waste of time. Should have gone with Raifaissen as Kniga pointed out. And Sheepy, where the hell have you been? :cussing:

mediashark
29-06-2005, 12:29
Yes, I posted a thread on this recently (more citibank fun) but the thing is, I was able to do this before! And it was after my visa run when I wired my card to dollars account, I tried to switch it back and they refused, for the same reason!

I think they screwed up by misintepreting the local laws...

zerkalo
01-07-2005, 10:41
You didn't hear this from me, but even the Citibank branch in the US Embassy had only one teller on the job at a time. Which was strange since they built in two windows. Or maybe this wasn't strange after all...