PDA

View Full Version : Retiring to Southern Russia

DaveUK1965
03-10-2003, 20:49
Oh, you`ll like this one, folks. ;-))))))))))

Briefly. In about 10-15 years, Dave here is SERIOUSLY thinking of retiring to the Volgograd Oblast. Yep, you read that correctly. ;-))

Now, would any of you like to tell me why I shouldn`t do it ? Seriously, my minds` made up at the moment - it`s 10-15 years away so things MAY of course change, but- I can see a lot of benefits - and drawbacks there - and at this moment, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. But. May make for an interesting thread, eh ? ;-)))

Dave ;-)))

DaveUK1965
03-10-2003, 23:43
Hiya Mike ! ;-)

Ooo, God, that`s a big question. ;-)))) Most doomsayers will say "What DO you want to do that for ? "

Simple -
(1) I love Russia, the culture, the people, the history
(2) I love the "real Russia" -
(3) With a few excess rubles in your pocket, Volgograds` a nice place. Admittedly, not much to do, it`s not Moscow - but. Well. I`ll be mid 50`s by then...
(4) An apartment in the centre of town is somewhere in the region of $30k today here. Average house price in the UK is.... astounding.
(5) Try living on a pension in the UK......

So my solution is - sell up, stick two fingers up at Blighty, go off and live in Russia. ;-))) There ARE good economic reasons for doing so (and I have 15 years to get fluent in Russian) - but it`s more for the people. The conversation. The history. The... I dunno. Being there. ;-))

The bad points. ;-))

OK, if you think life in Moscow can be sometimes bad, it`s more so in the provinces. Especially if you`re Western, and even more so if you have money. The weather can be extremely harsh in Winter - but Summer tends to make up for it. However, I don`t need (or want) a panoply of creature comforts - I LIKE living simply and modestly. There are limits, of course. ;-))

Please don`t think I`m some kind of England- hater - I`m not. There is a very lot going for this country. However, growing numbers of UK pensioners (and normal citizens) are selling up and moving to places like Spain - cheaper housing, sunshine - and. Well. Dave here is a Russophile and I don`t hable Espanol. Russia to me makes some crazy kind of sense. And I have no idea why. ;-))))

OK, I`ll get a load of negative comments here - "Don`t do it, you`re mad" "You`ll hate it" - I don`t, I love it there.... "You don`t know what it`s really like" - true, perhaps - it`s an idea. How good an idea, I`m not sure. However........ every man must have a hobby and I`ve certainly heard of some expats doing this. Being an expat is not the sole province of those residing in Moscow or St Pete - we all have different forms of connections with Russia and differing reasons for being there (and different tolerances where divergence from Western norms is concerned) - and different levels of desire for integration.......

..... so, folks, what do you think ? ;-)))))))))) Could you ditch the big house and the BMW, which don`t necessarily make you happy, and go and basically.... follow an instinct which you think WILL make you happy ? ;-)))

Dave ;-)))

DaveUK1965
04-10-2003, 11:19
Used to work with two very nice Croatian ladies, Mike - lovely people there, but........ ahhh, it`s not Russia - no Pushkin, Gagarin, Zhukov, Doestoyevsky, Prokofiev.... pel`meni.... ;-))))))))

I know, I could IMPORT the pel`meni, but.... it`s not the same. ;-)))

meljomur
04-10-2003, 11:22
Dave-

Why don't you just sell up and move to Russia now, while you are still young. It sounds to me like your heart belongs here. By the way I have noticed (in the Moscow Times) that there seem to be quite a few jobs in IT for English speakers advertised. That is your field isn't it??

DaveUK1965
04-10-2003, 11:38
Hiya Mel !

Not quite possible at the mo, Mel ! "Long term project". I`ve theoretically got something coming up in Prague with a big salary, but.... that`s "theoretically". ;-))) Plus, retiring at 38 ain`t quite what I had in mind. ;-))))))))) Thanks for the suggestion, though.

IT. Yep, the Moscow Times, Saint Petersburg Times (if you`ve discovered that yet - http://www.times.spb.ru/ - here ) - and other sites like www.rabota.ru carry a lot of IT jobs which require English as standard. The problem is that - if you work in IT - you can always be undercut by cheaper locals. Given my normally outrageous salary (Income support or megabucks ;-))) ) - the incentive for an employer in Russia is to reduce the IT budget and hire a local.

However ! May be that I`ve fallen on my feet and there`s some noises about taking me on for a massive project in Prague - managerial role. I`ll find out next week - doubt it - but if it DOES turn around, well, I`ll be over in Russia at the end of the contract, and life`ll really change. ;-)) At the moment, my folks are still alive, getting on a bit, and it`s not fair on them if I look at permanent relocation.

Russia - provincial Russia - is a great place - with just a little cash, you`ll have one hell of a good life, better in a lot of intangible ways than in the UK. And I`m all for the intangibles - especially when it comes to paying a mortgage, trying to make ends meet on a pension, paying the bills or repairing a fancy car. Why not step back, realise that I don`t need a ?200k+ house, ?30k car or huge salary - go off, sit around in the sunshine in Russia and - vote myself out of the rat race ? ;-))))))))

etery
04-10-2003, 17:46
But why VOLGOGRAD???

DaveUK1965
04-10-2003, 18:33
Well, that`s where my ex was from - I have a lot of friends there - lots of history, sunshine (some of the time) - the Volga, centre of town is nice.... you have to feel at home somewhere. ;-))))

Caliostro
04-10-2003, 19:19
the culture, the people, the history
Pushkin, Gagarin, Zhukov, Doestoyevsky, Prokofiev.... pel`meni.... ;-))))))))

Ye-ye-ye, Dave! I know what you're after mister.
Can't forget beautiful russian girls, eh? Or may be the girl!;)))

But seriosly it's a good plan.
The only problem with Russia - it's unpredictable.
Take last 100 years of history or even 20, compare to
western countries, see the difference.
It might be fun though. Fixes your adrenaline level.;)))

DaveUK1965
04-10-2003, 20:04
Hehee ! Got it in one, Caliostro !

No, seriously, the girl is history - as for beautiful Volgograd girls, well !!! Part of the reason. ;-))))))))

Other reason IS the unpredictability of Russia. ;-))))))) Caliostro, story for you here - friend of mine comes back to England with his Russian driver. After three days, the driver says, "I couldn`t live here.. not enough problems." ;-))))))))

Maybe it`s a good point - life in England - safe, boring, predictable - you`re tied down with laws, taxes, rules, social convention... maybe I`m a freer spirit, maybe I prefer a lot less legislation in my life, I don`t know.

"Don`t go" they say, "No hot water !!! " Wow, really ? Yeah, and ? ;-)))

"Dangerous !!! " they say. Then I ask them why they don`t go to the bar in town at night - "Oh, too many kids starting trouble"...

A life in England tied to a boring job, forever paying the mortgage, taxes, just about scraping by with rotten weather, boring people, rules rules rules... or - sell up, move to Russia - sit around drunk at 3am laughing away with REAL friends - not ones who like you just when you buy the beer ? - talking about art, literature - LIFE - actually LIVING life and not being scared of problems - non existent problems like "Can I afford next years` BMW ? " - who CARES about that utter rubbish ?

70 years and then they nail the lid on the box. ;-))) I`ve got about 32 to go. Let`s do something with them, then. ;-)))

You do not get extraordinary results without extraordinary effort. ;-)) Bring the adrenaline on. ;-)))

Oh, yes - the girls too. ;-)))))) Caliostro, you must be psychic. ;-)))
Dave ;-)))

Caliostro
05-10-2003, 03:11
I agree. It's pretty boring to stay in one place.
If I were single I'd travel. There are a lot of countries
where you can have decent life for a couple of hundred bucks.
Settle, study language, culture, etc. 2-3-4 years - move on to
a new country. It's fun, isn't it.

DaveUK1965
05-10-2003, 03:23
;-))))))) Well, I`d be looking to PERMANENTLY move - in fact, if anyone in Volgograd needs an expat, I`d go tomorrow (they don`t - not even at Russian money ;-)) ) - but - oh, I agree 100%.

You`re a very long time dead, so. Live. ;-)))))

Ned Kelly
05-10-2003, 15:20
Dave, hate to rain on your parade but retiring to Volgagrad has to be one of the most ridiculous ideas I've ever heard. The muzhiki and babi would either tear you to shreds or more likely simply drive you insane with a slow-drip of absurdity that wore down your soul.

Magnificent place to visit for the war memmorial. But to live? :rolleyes:

DaveUK1965
05-10-2003, 15:40
You can always pick and choose who you associate with, Ned - North Manchester (ask Braders) is indistinguishable from provincial Russia... perhaps I`ve had a good grounding already. ;-)))

Ned Kelly
05-10-2003, 15:45
I've heard North Manchester is bad - but there's a difference between coping with freaks in your own culture and choosing to go and live with them in another.

I used to be a great fan of provincial Russia and have a strong dislikie of Moskvichi but time and experience have led me to understand that people here that look at people out there as the great unwashed are onto something.

vaska
05-10-2003, 15:54
There is something to the saying that the is grass always greener on the other side of the fence (or, as the Russian say, "vsegda horosho tam gde nas net"). :)

DaveUK1965
05-10-2003, 16:31
Well. Look at it like this. Are the muzhiki and babooshki any different in Penza ? Rostov ? Omsk ? Tomsk ? Volgodonsk ? Is the housing any different ? ;-)))

Not much point retiring to Moscow as it`s more expensive than almost anywhere in England (London excepted, perhaps)... but. What kind of life do you get if you go over and spend, say, $100k on a house there?

Yes, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... somewhere out there is probably some Russian saying, "Hey, North Manchester, great... ;-)) " Beirut, more like. ;-)))

Volgograd is - a big city in Southern Russia. Hot summers, winter no colder than anywhere else. Quite a fair bit to see and do - not that I`m bothered - I`m culturally USED to living in engineering towns full of muzhiki... and what I can afford to do in Russia compared to what a pension`ll pay me in the UK.... perhaps not such a mad idea after all. ;-))))

Ned Kelly
05-10-2003, 16:34
Moscow is not as expensive as everyone likes to make out.

Each to their own Dave:cool:

DaveUK1965
05-10-2003, 16:38
Well, you could be right, Ned. ;-)

You could also be right about the old idea that everyone outside kilometre 101 is a member of the great unwashed - but - wellll, I dunno there. I know I`ve met a lot of good folks - really good folks - from outside of Moscow and St Pete. It`s not all drunken muzhiks and Stalin era babs. Of course, you get `em, but - you get `em in Moskva too. ;-)

Come to think of it, it is HERE as well. ;-))

fleurt
05-10-2003, 21:30
Dear Dave
You are right. This actually is making a good thread in the sense that I am compelled to reply to you. I’m getting a little piqued!

First, I have an issue with the “free-spirit” stuff. I thought free-spirits were the kind of people who just got up and did something, without too much planning, let alone think 10-15 years down the road! Then I’m piqued at you for the generalisations about England.

“A life in England tied to a boring job, forever paying the mortgage, taxes, just about scraping by with rotten weather, boring people, rules rules rules... or - sell up, move to Russia - sit around drunk at 3am laughing away with REAL friends - not ones who like you just when you buy the beer ? - talking about art, literature - LIFE - actually LIVING life and not being scared of problems - non existent problems like "Can I afford next years` BMW ? " - who CARES about that utter rubbish ? “

Haven’t a clue who you’re hanging about with, but if those are the kind of people you know or even fraternise with, then you’ve got the friends/life there that you deserve. I don’t know anyone who cares about next year’s BMW (OK, maybe my brother’s wife, but everyone thinks she’s a tit!). I know plenty of people who have issues and problems, OK, not about hot water but it’s all relative. As for your job, it doesn’t have to be boring, and what is “rotten weather”? I know how the grey days make things look gloomy, but that’s not just exclusive to back home. Man! Moscow’s weather this summer could be described as “rotten”. Anyway, I don’t want to waffle on about the weather.

What gets me, is the “real friends” bit, all getting drunk at 3am in the morning talking art, literature etc. I want to throw up at this point (that’s why this is such a good thread!) If you’re an average Russian, trying to make a life for yourself and your family, the last thing you’re thinking about is what Dostoevsky was trying to say in “Crime and Punishment” as you neck down your next vodka. I think your life back home is pretty lonely, but that’s not down to England... You look and sound like a decent bloke and I feel if you found some kind of soul-mate ( from WHEREVER!), you wouldn’t be trying to run away from the life you already have. You always talk about your ex and I just feel that she is the one who has really made this place so fascinating to you. Maybe you want to come back and re-create some of the happiness you may have had with her? I hope you don’t narrow down your chances of success and happiness with someone else wherever they are from.
I myself believe that Russia really IS a unique kind of place, but I really feel you’re looking at the country with rose-tinted spectacles. It might be boring to you that back home we have laws, taxes and rules, but nearly all the Russian people I speak too, day in day out, would love a bit of order in their lives, they’d love to believe in someone or just feel that, let’s say, those holding any position of authority here are accountable for their actions and genuinely want to do something for the people here.

Sorry for any pop-psychology, just my opinion. But I do feel you’re not happy in England because you’re constantly “living” here. Somebody told a story on one of these forums about the old man at the city gates. I thought that was a tale with a good moral. I’m sure you read it though.
Anyway, if you’re a long-time dead though and this is somewhere you really feel you’ll be happy, then bugger the job in Prague and come here NOW. Something will turn up, or is it important to you to have a certain status or standard of living here?!
You really might be dead before Christmas 2003 let alone 2018… better start living!

PS. Just read the bit about your folks being alive as a reason NOT to come here, but maybe they would be happy for you to realise your dream?

fleurt
05-10-2003, 21:32
By the way, have you been to Beirut? Beats North Manchester!

DaveUK1965
05-10-2003, 21:47
Originally posted by fleurt
By the way, have you been to Beirut? Beats North Manchester!

Exactly. ;-)

DaveUK1965
05-10-2003, 22:06
I think the real point here is that - why Volgograd ? Friends there. Actually, I wouldn`t even SPEAK to the ex again, to be honest. ;-)) Why Russia ? Interested in Russian culture since the age of 11 - and - having lost the lot in the IT recession, there`s nothing tying me down here at the moment. ;-)

Couldn`t move over at the moment - financially impossible, and - it`s a retirement venue only (as the chance of getting a job there is zero for non- native Russian speakers) but - early retirement and Volgograd is, believe you me, a very strong possibility. No, my Dad has had heart and eye ops of late (reason why I came back from Germany, partly) so - well, I wouldn`t get the next flight to Russian retirement under those circumstances. ;-)

The job in Prague is a massive salary IF I get it - makes no sense to go to Russia on a near permanent basis with ?0 if there`s something on the horizon in Prague which pays a small fortune, but - IT recessions` bit very hard here for ex Oracle DBA`s - one job in what I do in Northern England, can`t relocate to London- if I was in Bardak, I`d say I was f*cked at the moment. ;-))) Complicated story.... but Volgograd is a long term plan. ;-))

Free spirit mentally - hate the rules and regs of England, and - if you know Russia then you know a few $$ means less rules and regs. However, you may recall that all the free spiriters who buggered off to Goa in the 60`s and 70`s tended... to remain there. ;-)))

Yep, interesting thread, isn`t it ? ;-))))))) Point is that between England and Russia, I obviously prefer a lot of aspects of Russian life. In fact, with cash in your back pocket, Russia`s a great place - and a totally miserable one if your back pocket is empty.... but this is a "retirement thread".... ;-))

Lots of people now retire to Spain - cheaper, warmer... but. I don`t speak Spanish or have any links to Spanish culture. And I DO know people who`ve gone off to provincial Russia long - term and enjoyed it immensely. So ! the real questions here - given it`s possible - are - what are the underlying problems of a Westerner living in a city centre in "provincial Russia" ? They DO exist and haven`t been discussed yet. But. Believe you me, they`re an interesting little set of problems in themselves... ;-)

machine
10-10-2003, 01:44
Try southern British Columbia or islands. You can get a nice house like
this one (http://www.mls.ca/mls/property.asp?gt=s&gc=937^943&L=1&T=RR&rType=HO^CO^TO^DU^RF&rDetails=VL^VM&RBEM=0&RBEX=50&RBAM=0&RBAX=50&RPM=0&RPX=99999999&RJOIN=AND&PV=6&sort=A&D=0&oid2=0&oid3=0&oid4=0&oid5=0&oid6=0&oid7=0&oid8=0&oid9=0&oid10=0&coid=0&propCount=140&pageType=S&pid=952931&page=3)

Price is in CAD. It's a little bit more than 30K but you get much more as well.

machine
10-10-2003, 01:57
BTW, check out the name of the RE agency - VALHALLA PATH REALTY. Now, this is a nice place to spend your last days!

And the agent's name definitely has russian roots.
;)

DaveUK1965
10-10-2003, 02:01
Nice place, Machine ! That`s your retirement plan, is it ????

machine
10-10-2003, 02:14
I don't set any long term goals anymore:rolleyes: It just doesn't work.

Polia Ivanova
10-10-2003, 11:59
It is nice to remember all the good times and friends and good weather but what about Russian reality – if people of Volgograd cannot afford what you have got they will vandalise it.
Some years ago as part of English classes we listened to a cassette with the road accident recorded on it. A nice girl is walking on the pavement and drivers pay too much attantion to her…crash…boom…bang…and you can hear the sound of running high heel shoes. All Russians who heard it said that the girl run away, although creators of the course implied that the girl run to call the Police. The point – if something happens in Russia you do not rely on Militsia to help you.

DaveUK1965
10-10-2003, 14:46
Yes, Polly, I know. ;-))

An English girl wearing high heels ? :-)))))

Let me just show you a picture of Manchester at it`s worst.. this was a demolished area called Hulme. Heroin, guns, gangs.... Volgograd is a NICE place in comparison. Not all of England is what you think it is. ;-))))))

Polia Ivanova
10-10-2003, 16:11
Originally posted by DaveUK1965
Yes, Polly, I know. ;-))

An English girl wearing high heels ? :-)))))

Let me just show you a picture of Manchester at it`s worst.. this was a demolished area called Hulme. Heroin, guns, gangs.... Volgograd is a NICE place in comparison. Not all of England is what you think it is. ;-))))))

I know what England is like and I have been to north and south and east and west of Manchester and I ate a curry in Rushholme. And I have seen English girls wearing high heel shoes (most shocking is to see them going out naked when it is snowing) - it was about Russian reaction to "what if something happens" - calling the Police is not an option in Russia for many Russians. Law obidient people get easily upset (if not pissed off) with it.

DaveUK1965
10-10-2003, 16:25
Privet Polia !!
Rusholme is where Braders is from ;-) And - yes, most of the girls here walk around with little on when it`s snowing..... it`s not a bad place, but - my heart`s in Russia. ;-))

Originally posted by Polia Ivanova
I know what England is like and I have been to north and south and east and west of Manchester and I ate a curry in Rushholme. And I have seen English girls wearing high heel shoes (most shocking is to see them going out naked when it is snowing) - it was about Russian reaction to "what if something happens" - calling the Police is not an option in Russia for many Russians. Law obidient people get easily upset (if not pissed off) with it.

Polia Ivanova
10-10-2003, 16:45
So here are my reasons why I do not want to retire to Volgograd Oblast
1. Lack of Public Services where they are needed (health, law, safety on streets, ecology)
2. Abundance of Public Services where they are not needed – customs (try to bring couple of containers with you from the UK and watch monies changing hands for you to get it back after customs clearance), bureaucracy - the simple procedure like getting a passport or other travel document done by post in the UK will cost you hours if not days of queuing in some gov. office with highly impolite public servants .
3. You will be surrounded by drivers who bought their driving licence and the road priorities are defined by “my car is bigger (more expensive)” so…
4. I mention drinking – seeing English Friday night makes me think sometimes that Russian drinking is very mild compared to the English one but…Russians do drink a lot.

jules
10-10-2003, 17:09
Dave, If you want to retire somewhere in Russia, why not go south where the winters are much milder? Sochi, Gelendzhik, even Mineralnye Vody or Kislovodsk if you're looking for a connection to Russian literature...

:cool:

DaveUK1965
10-10-2003, 17:25
I did consider it, Jules. ;-) Sochi`s expensive - Kislovodsk, Adler, Pyatigorsk are all beautiful and that`s where my ex used to go for her holidays. Could be a possibility there ! In fact, it`s part of the reason why I`m looking at the South in general.... mild winters. ;-)

Thanks, Jules. ;-))

ChillPill
10-10-2003, 18:20
Guys, actually you're speaking about the place I'm originally from:) ...and funny what a common inhabbitant think about the places he/she has never been.

Well, Volgograd is not the the great village consisting of muzhiki and babi only..Sorry, I met enough more examples here in Moscow.

And believe me, civilization exists also there, even if could be a surprise for you;)

And enough sun in the summer:p

ChillPill
10-10-2003, 18:24
Did I mention, that no bears in the streets as well??;) ;)

DaveUK1965
10-10-2003, 18:36
Privet, ChillPill. ;-))) Yes- I love it there - Tsentralniy is where I`m thinking of staying. My fiancee was from the Traztorozavodskiy region - I even like it there, too.

There are good and bad people EVERYWHERE. ;-)) So I walk down by the Volga Embankment and I get one or two drunks hassling me for spare change. Same thing happens on Oxford Street in Manchester.

Manchester is more violent and dangerous than Volgograd, any day of the week, and I find the atmosphere there much more pleasant. ;-)) ChillPill`s right - no medved to be seen anywhere. I did see some pictures of a camel in the street there, once. ;-)))))))

PS Don`t get me wrong - I was born here in Manchester, I like a lot of aspects of life here - but. I prefer Russia and Volgograd in particular. ;-))) I don`t expect perfection - it`s boring. ;-)))

Polia Ivanova
10-10-2003, 19:01

There are good and bad people EVERYWHERE. ;-)) So I walk down by the Volga Embankment and I get one or two drunks hassling me for spare change. Same thing happens on Oxford Street in Manchester.

Manchester is more violent and dangerous than Volgograd, Frankly speaking I didn’t travel a lot in Russia but this summer I visited my family in Podmoskovie and I felt very insecure. Plus I had an attempt to re-new my Russian passport which was a pain in a bum experience. Living there I never paid attention to awful roads but after living abroad it is a bit shocking. Sheremetievo-2 is a big disgrace because even in Indonesia they have better airports. 4 hours long news program on TV only dedicated to crime news (I wondered how anyone is still alive) and more of things like that. Didn’t like it there.

Have you ever considered Bulgaria?

machine
10-10-2003, 19:09
Here's a link for you guys and all those people who want to live anywhere but in their motherland - http://www.escapeartist.com/

Bulgaria in particular:
http://www.escapeartist.com/bulgaria/bulgaria.html

DaveUK1965
10-10-2003, 19:20
Escape Artist is an interesting little site. ;-) None of the jobs advertised there seem to exist and I recently had to tell the owner that one of the "investment diamond" ads that one of his advertisers was operating was a fraud - I used to be in the trade. ;-))

Polia, I found that after a week in Volgograd, I didn`t notice the state of the roads, either. Or the housing. It was a shock when I got back home and did the comparison, but when there, I adjusted to it and had no problems at all. ;-)))) Same thing with registration, getting a hotel - you just think "Oh, normalniiy" ;-)) and after a week or so.... "Eta Rossia". ;-)))))))))

Polia Ivanova
11-10-2003, 15:52
I don't know whether you can just come to Russia and say - I like it here and I want to live here.
And I heard that foreigners need a visa not only to enter Russia but to LEAVE Russia as well

bolex
12-10-2003, 21:11
Dave, there is no reason to convince you that life in Russia is bad if you already like it here :) One obstacle to retiring in Russia that I see is the risk of investing in property. What if there is another crisis and you decide to depart - it will be difficult to sell and recover your investment. Although, you did mention that appartment in Volgograd is 30K only. I guess, based on Western standards your risk here is not overly high.

DaveUK1965
12-10-2003, 21:35
Thanks, Bolex. ;-)) Yes, I`ve been, and yes, I love it there.;-)) I`ve found that Russia is a place either foreigners love or hate - there`s no middle ground. I happen to love it - "warts and all". You may have noticed. ;-)))))))

From what I`ve seen, living out in the REAL Volgograd isn`t the best idea for a foreigner - it can bring trouble. There, a kvartera is about $5- 7,000... but, lack of facilities, possible problems in "standing out".... in the centre, there are more foriegners - but it`s still very rare to find one, and I think that most people there have never met a foreigner at all.

Thanks for the reminder about property prices. Of course, it`s possible to rent long term instead. If course, there`s always a way. But, I think after the 98 crash, Russia is becoming more economically stable, and - as always, with property - the price dips ? Wait a few years. ;-)))))))))))))

Thanks for the reminder though - who knows what`ll happen tomorrow ? But it`s all part of the fun of living in Russia. ;-)))))))

Originally posted by bolex
Dave, there is no reason to convince you that life in Russia is bad if you already like it here :) One obstacle to retiring in Russia that I see is the risk of investing in property. What if there is another crisis and you decide to depart - it will be difficult to sell and recover your investment. Although, you did mention that appartment in Volgograd is 30K only. I guess, based on Western standards your risk here is not overly high.

Broadmoor Bob
12-10-2003, 23:27
Originally posted by ChillPillRules
Did I mention, that no bears in the streets as well??;) ;)

Where can I find bears in the streets? That is my idea of a tourist destination. With my weight and build, my biggest risk is that a bear will mistake me for one of his bloody relatives!

DaveUK1965
12-10-2003, 23:32
Actually, Bob, Cronkeyshaw Park in Rochdale. A long story, but Dave here used to work fo `t Council, tha nose.

So there I am walking around this large common, with a clipboard in hand, looking officious. I`ve just knocked on the door and I`m getting the "I work for the council badge out" when - I get the feeling I`m being watched. I turn around -

....and standing behind me there`s this six foot brown bear with a red collar on. Cronkeyshaw has a circus tent erected on it every summer..... this is one of the residents. Then the bugger stands up and it`s about eight foot tall and so I therefore very bravely do poo poo undies and regret that the .44 magnum`s in the safe at the Gun Club.....

Out of the tent behind the bear pops a solitary figure. "Oi !! " he shouts, and the admonished bear waddles off.....

The surreal bit is that the bloke THEN shouts... "Oh, it`s OK, he always does that when he`s hungry"......

Then. I go home and change me underwear...... ;-)))

Polia Ivanova
13-10-2003, 12:21
http://dzd.volgorod.ru/index.shtml?sid=757&rid=1&nid=24

An article about ecological disasters of Volgograd (in Russian)

Polia Ivanova
13-10-2003, 16:46
(4) An apartment in the centre of town is somewhere in the region of $30k today here. Average house price in the UK is.... astounding.

Dave ;-)))

And it is rubbish that property prices in the UK are high – have a look at this chunk of Scotland for sale and it is only £45k

http://www.caperhouse.com/island-living/properties/benbecula.htm

DaveUK1965
13-10-2003, 22:17
Benbecula ?? Polia, the VVS and RAF could go and bomb Benbecula for a solid week and cause five rubles worth of damage. ;-)))

And it is rubbish that property prices in the UK are high – have a look at this chunk of Scotland for sale and it is only £45k

http://www.caperhouse.com/island-living/properties/benbecula.htm

Polia Ivanova
14-10-2003, 14:06
Benbecula ?? Polia, the VVS and RAF could go and bomb Benbecula for a solid week and cause five rubles worth of damage. ;-)))

Yes but it has some islands and trout lakes for £45k (well, nothing else apart from this which is a bit sad)

DaveUK1965
14-10-2003, 14:22
If you like forel, it`s a bargain, though. ;-))))))))

machine
14-10-2003, 14:33
Yes but it has some islands and trout lakes for £45k (well, nothing else apart from this which is a bit sad)

Why even bother?

Look what you can get for CAD 67K on Vancouver island. (http://www.mls.ca/mls/property.asp?gt=z&gc=7^2^9^5^3^8^1&L=1&T=RR&rType=HO^CO^TO^DU&RBEM=1&RBEX=50&RBAM=1&RBAX=50&RPM=0&RPX=100000&RJOIN=OR&PV=6&sort=A&D=0&oid2=0&oid3=0&oid4=0&oid5=0&oid6=0&oid7=0&oid8=0&oid9=0&oid10=0&coid=0&propCount=446&pageType=S&pid=762712&page=17)

Or this townhouse for 75K (http://www.mls.ca/mls/property.asp?gt=z&gc=7^2^9^5^3^8^1&L=1&T=RR&rType=HO^CO^TO^DU&RBEM=1&RBEX=50&RBAM=1&RBAX=50&RPM=0&RPX=100000&RJOIN=OR&PV=6&sort=A&D=0&oid2=0&oid3=0&oid4=0&oid5=0&oid6=0&oid7=0&oid8=0&oid9=0&oid10=0&coid=0&propCount=446&pageType=S&pid=1062983&page=28)

Or how about this condo for CAD 85K (same as 45K pounds) (http://www.mls.ca/mls/property.asp?gt=z&gc=7^2^9^5^3^8^1&L=1&T=RR&rType=HO^CO^TO^DU&RBEM=1&RBEX=50&RBAM=1&RBAX=50&RPM=0&RPX=100000&RJOIN=OR&PV=6&sort=A&D=0&oid2=0&oid3=0&oid4=0&oid5=0&oid6=0&oid7=0&oid8=0&oid9=0&oid10=0&coid=0&propCount=446&pageType=S&pid=1002087&page=43)

"Ocean view 2 bedroom downtown condo. Large master bedroom with semi-ensuite and walk-in closet. The living room has a cozy gas fireplace and there is a balcony to enjoy the outdoors. 5 appliances and in-suite laundry are just a few of the bonuses of this unit. "

Not to mention that you can ski in Whistler (just 3 hours to get there) or enjoy Pacific sunrises and sunsets.

DaveUK1965
14-10-2003, 14:37
I think we`ve "done" Volgograd - what are other posters` retirement plans, then ? ;-))))))

Volzhanin
21-10-2003, 23:08
Dave,

I lived and worked in Volgograd for two years and have great affection for the city. I confess that I was even a little moist eyed when I finally left the place in June.

If you have money in your pocket you can live pretty well there as long as you are not bothered about lack of amenities. The social life is great when the weather is good and everything happens outside but in winter the city is pretty dead.

I think retiring there (although I see your logic) would be a step too far. As has already been mentioned the enviroment there is not great. Also what about health care? Would you want to be old and infirm in Volgograd?

Personally I think there are better cities in the Volga region. I have a particular soft spot for Saratov.

DaveUK1965
22-10-2003, 00:57
Volzhanin, privet - and thanks. ;-) Yes, you`re right, it`s a great city- the social life is wonderful, the amenities aren`t great (but you adapt) - health care ! ;-) Well, I have a lot of friends out there who are surgeons and doctors. ;-))))) Interestingly enough, a friend of ours just went back to Volgograd for a cancer operation - it was quicker and better to have it done in Russia than under our disgrace of a national health system here in England. ;-))))))

You`re right, winter IS a problem - and there`s Sochi and Pyatigorsk only a short train ride away, of course, but - you have some really good point there, Volzhanin - thanks. ;-)))

I believe Saratov`s very nice, but I`ve never been. Like you, I have a very great affection for Volgograd - with all it`s problems. I suppose for me, the problems are less because I feel at "home" there. ;-)))))))))))))) And a place doesn`t have to be great in real life for you to feel at home there.......

Problems in life are just - problems. Life is a different matter. ;-)))) Now I`m beginning to sound very Russian indeed. ;-)))

Originally posted by Volzhanin
Dave,

I lived and worked in Volgograd for two years and have great affection for the city. I confess that I was even a little moist eyed when I finally left the place in June.

If you have money in your pocket you can live pretty well there as long as you are not bothered about lack of amenities. The social life is great when the weather is good and everything happens outside but in winter the city is pretty dead.

I think retiring there (although I see your logic) would be a step too far. As has already been mentioned the enviroment there is not great. Also what about health care? Would you want to be old and infirm in Volgograd?

Personally I think there are better cities in the Volga region. I have a particular soft spot for Saratov.

Volzhanin
22-10-2003, 16:42
I would agree with you that the positive traits of the city outweigh the problems. It's certainly a lot better living in Volgograd than in Moscow and it's a much more Russian experience. A lot of foreigners in Moscow live in an expat bubble and rarely socialise with Russians. However there isn't much work for foreigners in Volgograd (for that matter there isn't much quality work for Russians) and it's not an option to live there.

BTW, what were you doing in Volgograd? (sorry if you've already answered this question elsewhere)

DaveUK1965
22-10-2003, 17:28
Privet Volzhanin ! And I agree with you completely ! I was engaged to a lady from there (not any more) - but - I got off the plane and fell in love with the place. ;-))))))) For me, it`s the real Russia, the people are wonderful...... it`s the most important thing. You can live anywhere if the people are good - and for me, I feel right at home in an engineering town which reminds me of the Manchester of my childhood.

Yes, no jobs for foreigners, few good jobs for Russians - but a great place indeed. A home from home. ;-))))))

Originally posted by Volzhanin
I would agree with you that the positive traits of the city outweigh the problems. It's certainly a lot better living in Volgograd than in Moscow and it's a much more Russian experience. A lot of foreigners in Moscow live in an expat bubble and rarely socialise with Russians. However there isn't much work for foreigners in Volgograd (for that matter there isn't much quality work for Russians) and it's not an option to live there.

BTW, what were you doing in Volgograd? (sorry if you've already answered this question elsewhere)