PDA

View Full Version : Multi Entry Visa

texhou
11-05-2005, 22:28
I got my first ME visa (business) from the US and I was wondering if anyone could advise on it's use.

Can I use it for any kind of travel to Russia even if I'm not going to my sponsoring Russian company on business? Can I enter and leave by any point of entry in Russia without major hassles?

Thanks for any advise.

equalizer
11-05-2005, 23:19
as for travel ,go where you want ,some southern cities may be out of bounds ie sensitive .......grozny ,makaskala but only some one looking for problems would go there.

tgma
12-05-2005, 08:44
You may also have problems arriving in Vladivostok - if you are going there on business, and don't have Vladivostok or Nakhodka as a point to be visited it helps to have a letter with you from someone official in the town.

In general provincial cities can get a little uppity if you don't have them listed on your visa - I've had hotels try to refuse to register me because of this. It's probably illegal, but it's hard to negotiate when you're just off a plane at 11 at night! Normally a small payment can smooth this over. On the other hand, I would say that 75% of the time, it's not a problem.

Certainly, if you want to come to Moscow, and you're not visiting your inviting organisation, you will have no problems at all.

texhou
12-05-2005, 18:02
Thanks for the info. Vladivostok is the one area where I've never had a problem. I have family and friends there. As for the trouble areas, I don't plan to go there anyway.

mountaineer
13-05-2005, 14:51
I'm on my second ME visa and neither of them have anywhere to list entry points or places to visit, so I'm a bit mystified as to what you mean.

tgma
13-05-2005, 15:44
You're right, my stick-in multi-entry visa doesn't have the section that includes cities to be visited. In the old days, the paper multi-entry visas would have a list of cities to be visited. This is a throwback to the old Soviet days, when you had to say exactly where you were going, and some cities were closed to foreigners.

I don't go to the regions so much these days, and haven't encountered this problem for some time, since 1996, in fact. In theory, there are no rules stopping foreigners go where they want. In practice, you might always run into some petty official who felt like extracting a bribe from you. I remember that they used to meet you off the aircraft in Vlad, and someone would check your passport, even if you had flown from Moscow. I can imagine that they do something similar in the South, although it wasn't a problem last time I was in Krasnodar. But Ingushetia, Dagestan, etc might be a problem. I am pretty sure that foreigners are still not allowed in Norilsk, without special permission. So there are some sensitive places, but it's pretty clear what sort of places they are.

texhou
01-06-2005, 07:01
Thanks everyone for the advise. Just got back to the US after 3 weeks in Ufa and then a few days in St. Petersburg. No problems whatsoever.