PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Oil/petrole people

Bibo
11-05-2005, 16:09
Could someone tell what is the best (most common, exact ...) russian translation for

OIL BLENDING PLANT

(not a refinery)

And also if you could give me some examples or a link for some general info

monkey-girl
11-05-2005, 16:56
it's "нефтеперерабатывающий завод" (neftepererabatyvayushij zavod) if I'm not mistaken :)

catcracking
13-05-2005, 16:58
Hi,
Sorry if it comes a bit too late - just saw your message posted.

IMO the preferred term is "lube oil blending plant", or just a "blending plant",
Usually - a bit on the clumsy side - it is translated as "завод по производству смазочных материалов", or "мощности по смешению". In some contexts it can also be translated as "маслоблок", or just "масляное производство".
Blending is a fairly straightforward process that involves mixing together the base oils and different additives (VI improvers, foam depressors, anti-oxidising agents, etc., depending on what kind of finished product you want to get).

"Oil blending plant" is definitely not a нефтеперерабатывающий завод (an average blending plant is about 1 tenth the size of an average Western refinery, not to mention the Soviet refineries, which are HUGE). Then again, the processes involved in a bp have nothing to do with refining per se(переработка нефти ).

Again, just my 2 cents, might be well off the mark.

Catcracking