PDA

View Full Version : Baltics and Czech

fester
08-05-2005, 23:38
Has anyone lived in either the Baltics or Czech? I need info. on the lifestyle and people in those countries as compared to Moscow/Russia

Czechmate
09-05-2005, 12:11
Yes I have lived in Czech Rep. I still do, it is the place of my permanent residence. Could you narrow a bit your question, as now it englobes quite a large number of aspects...

Joe 6pack
11-05-2005, 09:04
I lived in Prague 2001-02.

Prague is definitely a more relaxed, cheaper place than Moscow. You can live an enjoyable, Central European type of life (i.e. hanging around all day in cafes & pubs) on quite a low budget. As a result, it is full of precisely the type of expat who likes to do this (e.g. old hippies, drifters, "artists," fresh-outta-college types & the like). On the other hand, it's an economically healthy, culturally sophisticated city that attracts serious people as well. And of course there's the best beer in the world.

It's been getting slicker & more Western in recent years, & I suspect this process has only been accelerated by the Czech entry to the EU. When I was living there, the bureaucracy was as big a pain in the butt as it is in Russia. I hope that's changed.

I've traveled in the Baltics but haven't lived there. My impression is that Vilnius & Tallinn are similar cities to Prague, though on a smaller scale, & more marked by Sovietization.

Green Tea
11-05-2005, 14:23
I lived in Tallinn and Riga for some years and I can tell you the style of life is much more European and overall less expensive then Moscow. Back then, you could get a great flat right near the center of Tallinn for $350 a month (today ???). Food is a touch more expensize, but also you have a better selection. Lots of Swede and Finn stuff. But still you can find cheap Russki, Polish and Czech goods as well.

Riga is a little more expensive then Tallinn, but much more interesting!

Thinking of moving? My choice would be Riga!