PDA

View Full Version : Yakspeare is on The Hot Seat

tvadim133
06-07-2010, 15:01
Let me introduce a well know guy but a new on the Hot Seat, Yakspeare.

How does your life in Krasnodar?

Have you found any differences between Krasnodar and Volgograd from the point of view of condition of life, mentality (if there are some) of locals, may be other?

yakspeare
06-07-2010, 15:16
Let me introduce a well know guy but a new on the Hot Seat, Yakspeare.

How does your life in Krasnodar?

Have you found any differences between Krasnodar and Volgograd from the point of view of condition of life, mentality (if there are some) of locals, may be other?

Hey Vadim and cheers.

I am enjoying Krasnodar very much...my work gave me a new apartment as compared to my old soviet style apartment...but i lived right in the centre of volgograd and was 200 metres from a big shopping centre, my gym,cinemas etc and 400 metres to the volga and 500 metres walk to work.

here i am 30 minutes by mashrutka to work and everything is spread out more....but my entire region is new...i now ride a bicycle to work as it is quicker as the traffice here is like moscow!

I am still meeting people here but there is lots of expats, even aussies here which is good...krasnodar(or as the locasl like to call it ekaterinador) has a rich history much to do with the cossacks. the local language is kubanski, similar to ukraine but usually only village or very old people speak it. the city is very beautiful...with the main street closed to traffic on the weekends and lots of parks and is very green...much more than volgograd....volgograd is a hero city and as a military man it is a powerful reminded everywhere. the main street of krasnodar was called hitler(gitler) street during the brief occupation.

people here are more relaxed and i think it is because the black sea is only 3 hours away...so for 200 rubles you can go by bus there on the weekend and i think most people do. i think there are more theatres in volgograd though and krasnodar is fighting its growth with so many new areas versus all the historic buildings that date back into the baroque period....volgograd has nothing built from before the war so it is quite different.

i do love it here but it has been raining and humid of late but everyone tells me this is unusual...anyone from expat.ru is more than welcome to come for a visit. :)

Darya Alexandrovna
06-07-2010, 15:37
Hi!
So you live in Krasnodar?! Wow! Did not know it!
Have you been by the seashore already?
How's the weather?
What's your favourite fruit? )))
PS: i miss chereshnya!!!!!!!!!!!! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:iloveyou:

yakspeare
06-07-2010, 16:18
i like tropical fruits found in australia...in my region there are some special fruits not found anywhere else in the world...one they call miracle fruit and after you try it you can eat a lemon and it tastes sweet like an orange...the effect lasts several hours but mkes beer taste unpleasant. i think mangiosteen otherwise is my favourite fruit and i love tropical fruit ice cream...i am still a bit scared to try the fruits here in krasnodar or in russia itself..i need peopel to introduce me to a lot of the cooking etc...it was only a few months ago i had pirozski for the first time!

i havent been to the sea yet...next weekend my work is all going to a dacha which will be very nice but i think the weekend after i will go to anapa.

FatAndy
06-07-2010, 16:56
Yakspeare, you'll like Anapa definitely - quiet rectangular organized resort town of military pensioneers ;) and at the same time children resort too. And pirozhki are nice everywhere in Kuban' region.

BTW, what a nice news about "local language is kubanski"? :D Is it your name for mix of Russian and Ukrainian? ;)

Wish you nice life there! And if have a time - visit Moscow - ALK and Aeroflot make 3+ flights a day from KRR to VKO/SVO.

tsarski
06-07-2010, 17:37
Which team do you support in the State of Origin?

I hear they play rugby more in the south of Russia. Is this true? Have you come across any union in the city yet?

And more importantly will you play there?

yakspeare
06-07-2010, 20:08
Yakspeare, you'll like Anapa definitely - quiet rectangular organized resort town of military pensioneers ;) and at the same time children resort too. And pirozhki are nice everywhere in Kuban' region.

BTW, what a nice news about "local language is kubanski"? :D Is it your name for mix of Russian and Ukrainian? ;)

Wish you nice life there! And if have a time - visit Moscow - ALK and Aeroflot make 3+ flights a day from KRR to VKO/SVO.

kubanski is a recognised dialect which is 70% in common with Ukrainian..a lot of the locals desired independance from Russia back in the day and Ukraine wanted to absorb this whole region into part of urkaine when it got its independance....the cossacks have been here since 1696(krasnodar offically 100 years later) when settled under Catherine the great...who they revere here(and like to call the place ekaterinador for that reason).

some examples of the differences:

Russian:

не за что

kuban:

нема за шо

but definitely looking forward to seeing anapa. :)))

yakspeare
06-07-2010, 20:11
Which team do you support in the State of Origin?

I hear they play rugby more in the south of Russia. Is this true? Have you come across any union in the city yet?

And more importantly will you play there?

well i am victorian by birth and spent equal time in both queensland and nsw but by dad is a banana bender so i am maroon all the way. only my sister is a blues supporter...there are few crimes more heinous.

i have been told there is rugby here and i think i might be up for playing if i can find the team and if they need a 120kg forward built like a brick dunny.

there is a boxing hall 1km from my place so if all else fails i will go back to that.

FlakeySnowballer
06-07-2010, 21:56
Are you bald like an avatar?
Do you like McDonalds?
Have you been named "Moscal" in Krasnodar?
Why do you leave your original country?

Jack17
06-07-2010, 22:13
Yaks, what are you doing in Krasnodar? Are there any statues there in honor of Anna Netrebko?

FlakeySnowballer
06-07-2010, 22:35
Yaks, what are you doing in Krasnodar? Are there any statues there in honor of Anna Netrebko?

When She was an unknown singer she was told that she was totally ham and deserved only singing in a kinder garden.

Jack17
06-07-2010, 23:09
When She was an unknown singer she was told that she was totally ham and deserved only singing in a kinder garden.
Yeah, I heard her say in an interview that her teacher in SPg told her she didn't have much of a voice. I heard her in New York last year in Lucia - and let me tell you, she's got quite a voice.

yakspeare
06-07-2010, 23:14
Are you bald like an avatar?
Do you like McDonalds?
Have you been named "Moscal" in Krasnodar?
Why do you leave your original country?

i think i have less hair in real life..lol...i am 100% shaved bald.

i like mcdonalds a bit too much so i try and stay away from it...but there is a rosticks KFC directly behind my work grrr...the great thing about uzbekistan was they didnt have any of these and it forced you to eat healthy.

i have no idea what a moscal is...i get called mishka or shrek mostly

as for why i left my own country...hmm...i am like a gypsy i guess without a home....being in a navy family i went to 11 different schools in 2 countries....i travelled through europe as a child and always knew there was a bigger world out there and i just dont think like a typical australian...i like theatre, the arts and i sing and do poetry etc-not have a beer on the beach while discussing cricket...i often felt a foreigner in australia especially because of my british accent. so i am looking for new life, experiences etc

but i will always have a part of me in australia:

YouTube- I Still Call Australia Home

FlakeySnowballer
06-07-2010, 23:25
Yeah, I heard her say in an interview that her teacher in SPg told her she didn't have much of a voice. I heard her in New York last year in Lucia - and let me tell you, she's got quite a voice.

Let's blame such sh!t teachers

tvadim133
06-07-2010, 23:35
BTW, what kinds of art do you like: opera, theatre, cinema (real), paintings, literature?

Have you already been to Krasnodar Music Theatre (I have never).....

Krasnaya street, has it become your favourite place for entertaiment already?

yakspeare
06-07-2010, 23:55
i love theatre and opera...i am a classically trained singer so i like what i can sing from gilbert and sullivan, Carmen, to my favourite Andrew lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera etc....my dream was to be an actor(more than singer) but my parents convinced me that there are a lot of unemployed actors and to join the navy instead-something i regret. i studied stavislaksy method acting and was kicked out of school(the first time) because of one of my performances. i cant sing pop songs though but used to get paid to sing Elvis(when i had the hair lol).

i would like to thing i know a lot about literature but as i get older i realise how little i know ESPECIALLY compared to the average russian...have to give credit there....knowledge of the arts is far superior in russia.

i work on krasnaya street and there are some interesting theatres there which have significant history of the soviet union etc....i have yet to see any performances though...it took me 9 months to convince someone to come to the theatre with me in volgograd(always talk but never arranged until finally)...i will wait for my girl to arrive to experience all these things together.

tvadim133
07-07-2010, 00:00
Can you remind us, you are a teacher or?

What made you do this choice in the profession?

yakspeare
07-07-2010, 00:10
yes i am a teacher..so is my Dad and also my younger brother and one of my sisters....nothing original in my family....my father and mother were Navy as was i....my mother and i were realtors....later my mother was an aged care nurse, my other sister is a clinical nurse and i was a paramedic...so out of 6 family members we have 3 ex navy, 3 teachers, 2 realtors and 3 health care professionals! my dad's james, i am james and so is my son...lol

when i was a realtor before this working 100-120 hours a week on great money but realised i could never perform in the theatre, do sport or even really have a girlfriend because of the hours...now i work 20 hours a week and spend the rest of the time thinking about doing sport(lol) and learning languages...now i have all the time in the world. life is great-Russia has been my freedom!

Jack17
07-07-2010, 00:23
What similarities and differences do you see between Australian and Russian/CIS women?

yakspeare
07-07-2010, 00:36
i couldnt answer your last question so i can happily answer this one.

culturally, almost no similarity....the only thing is a lot of women in russia like the beach but it is not like our beach culture which i think only calif and hawaii (maybe nice france) match.

Australians, in general, are quite blonde too but yeah thats about as similar as they get..because of our harsh sun it is very easy to calculate a woman's age which almost requires quantum physics to work out in russia!

oh and perhaps both aussie women and russians like yanks and cannucks lol

Jack17
07-07-2010, 00:43
Thanks yaks, never thought about the sun and age, but you've got a point there.
Actually, I was hoping for a more "intimate" comparison; but because children read these posts:), feel free to PM them to me.

yakspeare
07-07-2010, 01:00
you asked the wrong question then...it should of been how they are different....no need for pm....they are utterly different in that regard!

Judge
07-07-2010, 16:11
Hi Yakspeare, just a few to start with...

Who or which was one of your favorite musical groups when you were in school?

What do you consider your greatest achievement?

If you were to start your own restaurant, what would it be called?

If you could be any fruit, which would you be and why?

Which household object would you turn yourself into if you had to pick one?

yakspeare
07-07-2010, 17:12
Hi Yakspeare, just a few to start with...

Who or which was one of your favorite musical groups when you were in school?

What do you consider your greatest achievement?

If you were to start your own restaurant, what would it be called?

If you could be any fruit, which would you be and why?

Which household object would you turn yourself into if you had to pick one?

well depending on what era at school my favourite was aussie band INXS, U2, the singer Meatloaf and of course Queen.

greatest achievement...hmmm...i beat scott mcgory and gary neiwand australian cyclist(bronze and gold) in two seperate races....even now i dream of going back to the velodrome but i can only see one in moscow itself and none down here in krasnodar-it is by far my favourite sport aand the one i showed most promise in.

most of my life i have been the notable second though...never quite getting number 1. the only other time i got a true number 1 was in real estate sales for all of Australia in my franchise. that was pretty cool.

i think just living is my greatest achievement...i ran off a waterfall when i was 19 and i was hit by lightning when i was 8...i have had incredibly good and bad fortune....i fell out a high chair as a toddler and it impaired my coordination which was extremely difficult to deal with at school...i then broke my left hand when i was 7 and was forced to write right handed(as a result i write bad with both!)...i also accidentally shot my dad when i was 3 with his pistol when we were hunting(not that i remember) but he was ok. still crazy things always happen to me.lol...so surviving is my achievement!

i am somewhat narcisstic so if i started a restaurant i would have to call it Fern's(my surname) and have a green leafy theme...although i might pinch the name Carbo " You need your Carbo's" would be a great slogan!

banana would be the fruit because i am a bit bent and i have a sunny disposition but spoil easily.

household object- i would be a mirror...even though i am not much to look at the vain leo in me shines!

tvadim133
07-07-2010, 21:12
Oh, INXS..... :)

I liked hem very much.

I guess, you travelled a lot.

What was your favourite destinations?

If you have a chance, what you would change in your life first of all?

Are you sorry for anything very seriously?

yakspeare
07-07-2010, 23:43
Oh, INXS..... :)

I liked hem very much.

I guess, you travelled a lot.

What was your favourite destinations?

If you have a chance, what you would change in your life first of all?

Are you sorry for anything very seriously?

wow am impressed, i know INXS were popular in Britain(not the US) so a pleasant surprise to hear of fans elsewhere...this was the first music i liked on my own and not inherited from my family.

i have travelled a lot but a lot was a long time ago....europe was my childhood, asia was the navy etc....i promised i wouldnt go back to europe unless i had a girl at my side.

of places i have been my favourites are often those where i feel truly at home....mornington peninsula in australia, cumbria , new forrest of hampshire both of the UK...and scotland in general.

i would certainly visit salzburg, verona and florence again.

places i would like to see and havent:

Prague
St Petersburg
Rome(been to Italy but not Rome)
Kaliningrad(Koningsberg) which is my ancestral home and i think i would cry when i see it.
i promised myself i would sail the greek islands which was the only dream my mother had and she never did it before she died. so i will go instead.

i also have a strong connection to Israel and would like to visit but i would rather do it on another passport so i can visit arab countries too.

sadly i have had a lot of regrest in my lifer and the biggest one was joining the navy instead of the army when i extremely fit and could of been an athlete...i joined the navy at 4% bodyfat and 75kg and left at 125kg. i have struggled with my weight ever since.

i also hate the fact i was divorced and think a lot about my children and perhaps it would of been better to remain in such a horrible foolish marriage just so i can see them every day. there is no greater pain than not being able to see your kids and one of the reasons i left australia. i need for my sanity to start a new life again and maybe as adults they will reconnect with me

MickeyTong
08-07-2010, 00:13
Hi Yak

What do you miss about your previous high-income life? Would you consider your old job on a part-time basis?

Sydney or Melbourne?

Mardi Gras - in New Orleans or Sydney?

shurale
08-07-2010, 00:35
Would you like to write a book? Perhaps this can be useful.

http://www.xulonpress.com/landing_BIBLEGWSWN2.php

BrandonL
08-07-2010, 01:04
Boxers, briefs, tighty whities, or a g-string? which do you perfer to wear?)

yakspeare
08-07-2010, 05:50
Hi Yak

What do you miss about your previous high-income life? Would you consider your old job on a part-time basis?

Sydney or Melbourne?

Mardi Gras - in New Orleans or Sydney?

real estate is like a narcotic and is incredibly addictive but you are its slave like all addictions....you can't say no to the money and everything else takes a back seat....i would love to do it on a part time basis but that is really an oxymoron....in real estate you are either on fire, on a roll, or you are broke! you take one week holiday it takes 1 month to make up for the lost momentum. the only way i can see to have any part time basis it it(and still make money) is to do what two friends of mine do(they are brother and sister) and rotate one year, one year off each....handing the clients over to the other....they make 200k a year so that's basically 100k over 2 years and they both travel around the world on their time off...it's a great concept but they work darn hard too and easily do the 100 plus hours a week like i was doing for that kind of money.

in some ways i wouldn't mind selling real estate in moscow...have to master the language first...selling in london or new york would be exciting too.

sydney or melbourne i would choose brisbane lol but if i had to make a choice i would say sydney. i grew up in the western suburbs and know the place well....i left melbourne when i was 4 and only came back for navy training etc. still melbourne has more culture than sydney and better shopping-but the weather is awful(4 seasons in one day as they say) and the big money is in sydney too.

Mardis Gras i would say neither-, i would pick Rio de Janeiro ...would love to see it but new orleans would be interesting too....i have driven down oxford street after the gay Mardi Gras (the next day) and it is not a pretty sight! drunken cross dressers missing half their clothes etc. lol

yakspeare
08-07-2010, 05:55
Boxers, briefs, tighty whities, or a g-string? which do you perfer to wear?)

i don't mind wearing boxers around the house but hate wearing them out actually underneath something...so i guess it's the g-string for me :P

interesting cultural note....what americans call flip flops australians call thongs...which can lead to some confusion "I like a woman who wears thongs" cna have quite a different meaning between the two countries.

Moskauerin
08-07-2010, 12:16
Have you ever thought you would like to be a person of the other gender? What are the advantages and drawbacks of being a man and a woman, in your opinion?

Moskauerin
08-07-2010, 12:17
P.S. Of course, I did not mean seriously changing the gender via a medical operation! :) Just rather speaking about the social roles, stereotypes, psychology, etc.

yakspeare
08-07-2010, 12:34
i would totally dig being a woman...all that shopping...going to the spa and getting your body spoilt...actually i am half way there to becoming a woman...i already am quite addicted to chocolate!

Periwinkle
08-07-2010, 19:34
Hi,
Just out of curiosity - what do people in Krasnodar consider themselves - Cossacks, Ukrainians, Russians or Kubans(? )? Your previous post on the language intrigued me.
Is that you in your avatar?
Have you considered Moscow or St Pete to live?
Is your accent recognisably Australian?
Is there a good mix of westerners in Krasnodar?

yakspeare
08-07-2010, 21:19
Hi,
Just out of curiosity - what do people in Krasnodar consider themselves - Cossacks, Ukrainians, Russians or Kubans(? )? Your previous post on the language intrigued me.
Is that you in your avatar?
Have you considered Moscow or St Pete to live?
Is your accent recognisably Australian?
Is there a good mix of westerners in Krasnodar?

Most young locals are russians...the older generations and in particular from the villages calls themselves kubans...they don't think of themselves as ukrainian in the least...but cossack and kuban is basically interchangeable but cossack is more historical.

yes that is me in the avatar...just don't people i am superman...trying to avoid the press and the papers you see.

i don't think i could be a teacher in moscow- i think i would cry myself to sleep at night at my prospects of poverty or the insecurity of going freelance. all power to those who can and the idea of travelling all over moscow for lessons etc and the traffic-no thanks....i would consider moscow as a realtor though-it is a place you can certainly lead the high life if you have the money.

st petes has always intrigued me and i think i could enjoy living there, especially without the sun( i actually don't like the sun and i am happy to run in snow and rain just not on a hot day). the history of the place and being part of it would be truly great- although i hear some bad stories about st petes too.

my accent is British, actually from Hampshire...quite proper English....i lived there from 8-10 years of age and never lost it...though it has weakened in the last few years i use a british accent for teaching so i have regained it...i have to actually concentrate or speak to an australian to even attempt an aussie accent...overall my accent is quite neutral which is useful for teaching.

lots of expats here in krasnodar, even an aussie with "aussie pizza " and "Kanga photoshop" etc...there is a free English club here with 300 members where local expats just meet to chat with locals in English...it is a great concept and people from many different language schools attend.

Jack17
08-07-2010, 22:57
" i actually don't like the sun and i am happy to run in snow and rain just not on a hot day"

An Aussie who doesn't like the sun? That's like a Californian who doesn't like the sun; how is that possible?

Bels
08-07-2010, 23:05
Good for you Yakspeare.I know what you are talking about in accent. And the longer you would be here, the more you would become neutral in English accent, as you would be teaching Russians.

However as an experienced private entrepeneur teacher, fully legal with redtape, you would soon learn not to travel around. You would soon learn to have your students near to where you live, and refuse those far from you , or at least overcharge them and put them off. As time is money, and you only get paid for the hours you work. You either visit local rich houses , or you tell them to come to your classroom, convenient for you. It is the only way, as about only 50% of potential students will not be regular and reliable, and you must take that in mind. So all experienced teachers here learn to stick local, and not run around all over the place, and sometimes trsvel to visit potential students who cancel whilst you travel. Hence for zero income. Not on! Do you agree.

Most young locals are russians...the older generations and in particular from the villages calls themselves kubans...they don't think of themselves as ukrainian in the least...but cossack and kuban is basically interchangeable but cossack is more historical.

yes that is me in the avatar...just don't people i am superman...trying to avoid the press and the papers you see.

i don't think i could be a teacher in moscow- i think i would cry myself to sleep at night at my prospects of poverty or the insecurity of going freelance. all power to those who can and the idea of travelling all over moscow for lessons etc and the traffic-no thanks....i would consider moscow as a realtor though-it is a place you can certainly lead the high life if you have the money.

st petes has always intrigued me and i think i could enjoy living there, especially without the sun( i actually don't like the sun and i am happy to run in snow and rain just not on a hot day). the history of the place and being part of it would be truly great- although i hear some bad stories about st petes too.

my accent is British, actually from Hampshire...quite proper English....i lived there from 8-10 years of age and never lost it...though it has weakened in the last few years i use a british accent for teaching so i have regained it...i have to actually concentrate or speak to an australian to even attempt an aussie accent...overall my accent is quite neutral which is useful for teaching.

lots of expats here in krasnodar, even an aussie with "aussie pizza " and "Kanga photoshop" etc...there is a free English club here with 300 members where local expats just meet to chat with locals in English...it is a great concept and people from many different language schools attend.

yakspeare
08-07-2010, 23:10
good question! much to my changrin my brother inherited the prussian skin and looks positively aboriginal in summer...the rest of are go red under the slightest bit of sunlight and my father resembles a beetroot with sucha florid complexion(the scottish half of us at work)...my greatest fear is going as red as he is and i am already pinkish...i was also born in one of the wettest and coldest areas of australia and until i was 11 i dont think i ever saw a warm summer(living in canbrerra later and in southern england)...my skin used to be bone white so by the time i realised even the virtures of having a tan(high school) it was too late....my skin hates the sun , my father has had a heap of skin cancers removed and i am also 120kg these days(approx 265 pounds) so i can stay outside in the cold all day like a mishka but struggle in the heat....in winter i was running every day in the snow(furtherest was 14km) but now after 3km i struggle and it takes me absolutely forever to cool down...quite unpleasant. i think murmansk would be the ideal place for me....

yakspeare
08-07-2010, 23:18
Good for you Yakspeare.I know what you are talking about in accent. And the longer you would be here, the more you would become neutral in English accent, as you would be teaching Russians.

However as an experienced private entrepeneur teacher, fully legal with redtape, you would soon learn not to travel around. You would soon learn to have your students near to where you live, and refuse those far from you , or at least overcharge them and put them off. As time is money, and you only get paid for the hours you work. You either visit local rich houses , or you tell them to come to your classroom, convenient for you. It is the only way, as about only 50% of potential students will not be regular and reliable, and you must take that in mind. So all experienced teachers here learn to stick local, and not run around all over the place, and sometimes trsvel to visit potential students who cancel whilst you travel. Hence for zero income. Not on! Do you agree.

well if i ever get TRP then i would go the same route as you Bels, but since that is unlikely i think a move to moscow would preclude teaching...i wouldnt work for the schools and have shared accomodation etc and too risky to go freelance on start up...if things dont work out here i will return to uzbekistan where i will shortly be able to work legally(since i have decided to marry my old girlfriend from there) and i made easy money freelancing but the biggest killer in moscow is rental prices and i wouldnt make a move there unless that was paid for and was suitable for a family. i certainly never travelled around in tashkent and made everyone come to me(excet one lady who i charged a fortune to)...so i agree with your philosophy.

Bels
08-07-2010, 23:50
YeP! You said it all! The EFL profession is unsuitable for the family working person in Russia. It is only suitable for the young single individuals who want to experience Russia, and can afford to do so. MAMM! I'm in trouble!! And I want to go home now! But I can't afford it! Help me get back. Nope! An employed EFL cannot get a responsible serious professional income in Russia. And can only look upon their income as a small back up whilst enjoying their disco and womanising times in Moscow for example. What we can do about it I don't know, apart from schools rasing their fees and paying their teachers properly. For goodness sake, The British Council managed to look after their teachers, but so far nobody else has managed to match them , both in looking after their teachers properly, and in succesfully teaching English!!!