PDA

View Full Version : Fluoride in the Moscow Water?

Knightimes
05-05-2005, 19:30
Does anyone know how much if any fluoride is in the Moscow water? My nanny said there is a lot! So, if that is true, does anyone know of any filters to buy to take the fluoride out? Thanks.

Jamie

mediashark
05-05-2005, 19:35
There are a lot of other stuff in the water you should be worried about other than fluoride!

Knightimes
05-05-2005, 19:38
We have an under the sick major water filter for all of the other stuff, now I'm just worried about fluoride. Thanks.

chunkyhunkymonkey
05-05-2005, 21:10
We have an under the sick major water filter for all of the other stuff, now I'm just worried about fluoride. Thanks.

i thought that flouride was meant to be good for you (well, your teeth and bones) in moderation - atleast that's what we've been told in the UK!

trebor
05-05-2005, 21:25
i thought that flouride was meant to be good for you (well, your teeth and bones) in moderation - atleast that's what we've been told in the UK!

Its true, flouride is good for teeth but we never had it added to our water supply in the UK because it was thought the people would trust the supply better if NOTHING was ever added! :)

equalizer
05-05-2005, 21:37
you can put an entire water treatment plant under your sink,that will do nothing to make the water safe,water in moscow should be used for washing only ,even for boliing tea use bottled water.
all these filters over here are crap and dont work.
and if you are worried as you have children then if you can afford a nanny then keep them away from tap water.

tbill
05-05-2005, 23:41
Its true, flouride is good for teeth but we never had it added to our water supply in the UK because it was thought the people would trust the supply better if NOTHING was ever added! :)

Hence, the big book of British smiles shown to bad children at the dentist's office. (Simpsons reference)

Moscow Wolf
06-05-2005, 14:15
The Britac water filters seem to be ok even if the volume of water is dictated by the size of the container. Someone only yesterday was telling me about a Korean here that was concerned about the purity of 'big bottled' water. His electric water tester showed that a well known brand name, (no I'm not that daft), was far from 'pure' however, his self filtered Moscow tap water came up as very pure. Just because water looks pure, doesn't mean that it is.

I'm lucky with my tap water, I can see its bad as its nearly always brackish. They turn the water off so many times a week here in my house that when it comes back on I get a nice red rusty colour. I've stopped using deoderant under my arms (you noticed), I just use an oil can now to help me move.

equalizer
06-05-2005, 14:27
But my personal favorite is the brands with exotic names like aqua pure or bon aqua and the ads on tv show waterfalls of sparking water,, in reality.....it should be a couple of old babooskas stiring a boil vat of tap water in a run down factory in some shanty town outside moscow
look at the small print distilled water
not a lot of mineral springs in moscow

Moscow Wolf
06-05-2005, 14:33
Get some of that Peckham Spring Water that old Del Boy was selling to a big UK supermarket chain. Uncle Albert was a 101 in that 'con' as he'd been drinking it all his life. Probably the funniest TV prog, I have ever seen.

J.D.
06-05-2005, 15:22

You are a testament to the excellence of the military/govermental spin doctors. Flourine is used it the nuclear industry for extracting weapons grade uranium. Some flouride contamination poisoned some nearby farms and the farmers sued. The government went on a two pronged attack. They financed the some testing that proved Flourine wasn't dangerous (not exactly objective testing) and they did a huge PR campaign to convince the public that flourine was actually good for you. Yes it does kill germs in water but the real reason for using it was to convince the public that it is good for you.

corp_fin
06-05-2005, 15:23
not a lot of mineral springs in moscow

The one I procure - Istochnik by WimmBillDan actually does come from the mineral springs.

PJB
06-05-2005, 18:28
I want to bring a faucet mount filter from the US. Can anyone reccomend an American brand that will fit on a Russian faucet?

equalizer
06-05-2005, 18:42
The one I procure - Istochnik by WimmBillDan actually does come from the mineral springs.

read carefully what i stated
yes i can buy all sorts of mineral water in mocow but i said no mineral springs
where is the source of wimmbilldans water ,southern mountains ,krasnodar ,sochi as i said there aint a lot of minerale springs in or near moscow

PJB
06-05-2005, 19:25
I get free water once a week from a mineral spring at a small church 10 minutes walk from Altufevoe metro station

equalizer
06-05-2005, 19:57
the holly water your talking about is not spring water it just been bessed,can be used for various things ,but drinking is not one ,look carefully at the people in front of you in the line and you will understand what i mean.

trebor
07-05-2005, 12:09
Hence, the big book of British smiles shown to bad children at the dentist's office. (Simpsons reference)

Nice try tbill, but while i'm not an expert on dentistry i would be very surprised if the condition of children'd teeth in the Uk was any worse than elsewhere. With or without flouride.
Another thing, The water in the Uk can be drunk straight from the tap. Not many places in the world you can say that! :)

uninformed
07-05-2005, 16:30
Nice try tbill, but while i'm not an expert on dentistry i would be very surprised if the condition of children'd teeth in the Uk was any worse than elsewhere. With or without flouride.

If you ever looked at the teeth of the average Brit who hasn't had dental work done you wouldn't say that.

In the States, those who oppose fluoride in the water tend to chant about "Communist plots" and "government medication without our permission" etc etc.

The City water in Moscow has a lot of minerals in it but I do not believe fluoride is one of them. Nestle Waters will deliver fluoridated water if you request it.

Moscow City water is not particularly tasty but it will not make you ill.

Halyavshik
07-05-2005, 19:04
You are a testament to the excellence of the military/govermental spin doctors. Flourine is used it the nuclear industry for extracting weapons grade uranium. Some flouride contamination poisoned some nearby farms and the farmers sued. The government went on a two pronged attack. They financed the some testing that proved Flourine wasn't dangerous (not exactly objective testing) and they did a huge PR campaign to convince the public that flourine was actually good for you. Yes it does kill germs in water but the real reason for using it was to convince the public that it is good for you.

J.D.,

Did the government pull one over Smith-Beecham and Proctor & Gamble's eyes too ? 'Cause I'm trying to wonder why they would advertise "Flouride" toothepaste if it were really proven to be harmful. My dentist (who seems to know a little bit about teeth and what's good for them) also recommends flouride. Is she a victem of government propoganda as well ?

Please note, again, as the original poster whom you quoted pointed out, we're talking about "in moderation". I'm sure highly concentrated flouride in industrial doses*would* be bad, BUT we're talking amount small amounts added to drinking water and toothepaste.

Cheers,
Hal

J.D.
07-05-2005, 19:12
You got me Hal. The human body does have some use for flourine. As with anything too much is a bad thing. The bit about the government is true though. I don't know if flouride toothpaste is actually good for you or these companies just jumped on the gov's propaganda bandwangon. As to whether or not those people are victims of the government propaganda would depend on how one choose to define all the terms.

trebor
07-05-2005, 22:45
If you ever looked at the teeth of the average Brit who hasn't had dental work done you wouldn't say that.............

Errr,...........................take a look at anyone who hasn't had dental work done! :rolleyes:

Braders
08-05-2005, 09:01
Errr,...........................take a look at anyone who hasn't had dental work done! :rolleyes:

Trebor, don't do that again, that was gonna be my line :D

trebor
08-05-2005, 10:49
Trebor, don't do that again, that was gonna be my line :D

My humble apologise Braders but you realy will have to be quicker off the mark in future! :)

PJB
10-05-2005, 19:29
the water at the church is not blessed "holy water". It comes from a mineral spring under the church. It is piped to 3 faucets at the side of the church and it flows continuously all year long. The people line up all day with all sizes of jugs and bottles and we frequently talk about the taste and quality of the water.

trebor
10-05-2005, 19:48
the water at the church is not blessed "holy water". It comes from a mineral spring under the church. It is piped to 3 faucets at the side of the church and it flows continuously all year long. The people line up all day with all sizes of jugs and bottles and we frequently talk about the taste and quality of the water.

Sorry to be so sceptical PJB but if the church in Russia is making money out of the sale of water i wouldn't trust it to be pure or spring like even if the arkangel Gabriel himself descended and knocked back a tumbler full! :)

equalizer
10-05-2005, 21:06
:respect:
as it flows all year it means the chuch has a connection to the mains water pipe ,any spring in winter freezes,yes i am sure god can make miricales but not in minus 30

mediashark
10-05-2005, 22:24
it doesn't matter because it just tastes better when you believe it's a mineral spring that somehow gives all year long, no?

polly
10-05-2005, 23:39
i'd pick fluoride over arsenic any day...

PJB
11-05-2005, 02:37
The spring at the church is not miraculous, is not blessed, and is 100% free. The church was built over a spring (just like Christ the Savior Cathedral) and the water has to be diverted away from the structure so that the foundation won't collapse. The water quality tests done there show that the water is potable and has a high mineral content. The water is good for drinking but not tea or cooking or use in steam irons. The neighbors prefer the taste over the chlorinated tap water

RDV
11-05-2005, 15:05
Does anyone know how much if any fluoride is in the Moscow water? My nanny said there is a lot! So, if that is true, does anyone know of any filters to buy to take the fluoride out? Thanks.

Jamie

Yes, you can get fluoride filters in Moscow. Go to OBI or a similar store and get one. If that gives you peace of mind, that solves the problem. As long as the purity of Moscow water doesn't make you paranoid, you'll be alright :)

I think that Moscow water is far from even decent, so I drink bottled water SIMPLY because it tastes better. I cook with tap water.

I heard that Pepsi spent $17 mln on a water purification system here. But I still buy SHISHKIN LES.

And if you start testing water and every other ingredient of the Moscow environment, you will want to run away at the speed of light from here...

P&M
11-05-2005, 15:52
If Moscow water didn't kill the last seven people who drank it, it should do you no harm. As with all big city water systems, most of the 'potable' water is recycled and passes through sufficient filtration etc. to meet fairly stringent test s (Moscow IIRC passed all WHO requirements for the Olympics etc). However, this does NOT mean that it will taste good or that the water is not recontaminated after leaving the treatment station. (Moscow uses the French municipal plumbing system that co-mingles sewage & water making cross leakage a possibility!)

Most 'mineral water' is not - even Evian is just Geneva tap water, but it eliminates the risk of post treatment contamination - assuming it is genuine. (I was told that at least half of the bottled water sold in Moscow is fake). However, you can at least enjoy the privilige of paying more per litre for water than petrol - next time you slag off the oil companies, think about it.