PDA

View Full Version : Urgent! Take it or leave it?

molly picon
05-07-2010, 17:47
Hello! Okay, I've been in Moscow for a week and was offered 2 hours every evening at a school a bit far from my flat (I'm near Aeroport and the school is at the other end of the circle line) at 800 ru per academic hour, or 2400 for two hours (right???). That would be just under 10,000 per week. I've been teaching for years, but don't have a single textbook or grammar guide with me so I'm not ready for private. The legality of this cash thing seems dubious and my husband is worried that it could screw me up with applying for a more serious visa... I'm not so sure about that as Russia ain't the US as far as I can see. How do you ensure payment in such a scenario? I went for an interview and the DOS quite promptly thrust a contract in my hand, which isn't what I'm used to. I'm on a private visa which runs out in September, but no one seemed too interested, presumably because sneaking across the border from the Ukraine is not the usual entry for Americans...

Cooldude
05-07-2010, 18:38
Hello! Okay, I've been in Moscow for a week and was offered 2 hours every evening at a school a bit far from my flat (I'm near Aeroport and the school is at the other end of the circle line) at 800 ru per academic hour, or 2400 for two hours (right???). That would be just under 10,000 per week. I've been teaching for years, but don't have a single textbook or grammar guide with me so I'm not ready for private. The legality of this cash thing seems dubious and my husband is worried that it could screw me up with applying for a more serious visa... I'm not so sure about that as Russia ain't the US as far as I can see. How do you ensure payment in such a scenario? I went for an interview and the DOS quite promptly thrust a contract in my hand, which isn't what I'm used to. I'm on a private visa which runs out in September, but no one seemed too interested, presumably because sneaking across the border from the Ukraine is not the usual entry for Americans...

Well, well.....

I'm not really sure what to advise unless you clarify a few points:

1. What does "sneaking across the border from the Ukraine" actually mean?
If you are in Russia illegally you shouldn't really care about accepting cash
but if you do have a no-employment visa, then I'd just take the cash without signing a contract. If the school really needs you they'll do that.

2. "800 ru per academic hour, or 2400 for two hours (right???)." Nope. 1(one) academic hour in Russia is 45 minutes (in some schools 40 min.) By two hours schools often mean academic hours (i.e. 1,5 hours). But this better be discussed right from the start.

3. Taking cash for services in Russia (unless it's a bribe) is generally legal. For foreigners it depends on the type of the visa, but sinse it is very hard to trace and prove, unless Russians take some very special interst in you/your husband nobody will care whether you teach for cash or not. You can always say ity was community work, helping the host country integrate into civilized society etc. etc.

4. "How do you ensure payment in such a scenario?" as per p. 1. If the school really needs you they'll pay.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

dontcallme
05-07-2010, 18:57

By sneaking across he border I assume you mean that you've gone over the border from the Ukraine and you're not here on a working visa but a tourist or business visa? 2400r for 120 minutes is fine and I assume they aren't worrying about paying taxes.

The problem is you can't guarantee payment in this situation and you need to trust your gut. The instant contract isn't a worry, one agency signed me up then never found any actual work for me. I think they just wanted native teachers on their books.

molly picon
05-07-2010, 20:10
Hi! Sorry for any confusion about sneaking across the border from the Ukraine- I was just making a joke because the school didn't seem interested in looking at my passport with visa, university degree or, for that matter, my old CELTA cert, and the only way I can imagine an American would be here without any papers is by sneaking in from the Ukraine or overstaying a legal visa. And I'm still not sure what the pay is- the ADOS told me 800 rub per academic hour of forty minutes, and they were hiring for a two hour cl**** whereupon I exclaimed "That's not bad! Do you mean 2400 for a two hour session?" and the ADOS vaguely nodded.

Periwinkle
05-07-2010, 21:42
What is the name of the school? There are some you should be wary of...