PDA

View Full Version : Who pays?

Matt24
04-07-2010, 23:53
When your driver does something really stupid, (like crossing the white line on red square in front of the cop on GAI day), who pays the 7000 rur bung? I was in the car and he was taking me to a meeting, BUT his outbreak of dumbness coupled with some of the worse negotiating I've ever seen, is his problem isn't it? I'm getting cow eye's and mumbling, wife says pay, I'm keener on using this as a learning experience, too harsh?

MickeyTong
04-07-2010, 23:57
When your driver does something really stupid, (like crossing the white line on red square in front of the cop on GAI day), who pays the 7000 rur bung? I was in the car and he was taking me to a meeting, BUT his outbreak of dumbness coupled with some of the worse negotiating I've ever seen, is his problem isn't it? I'm getting cow eye's and mumbling, wife says pay, I'm keener on using this as a learning experience, too harsh?

I'd say the driver is responsible for what he does, not you.

tvadim133
05-07-2010, 00:02
You must pay fines only for what you did..for example: no seat belt used.

That is all.

What a f**k you need to be responsible for the person, just hired by you.

TolkoRaz
05-07-2010, 00:02
Being charitable and on this occasion, I would split it 50 / 50.

However, I would also explain that in the future he should drive more attentively and, if there is a next time, he will have to pay all fines as he is the driver and supposed to be in control of the vehicle! :10310:

BrandonL
05-07-2010, 00:03
I'd say make the wife pay!

As punishment for trying to make you pay.

Females these days!

Can't live with'em, can't live without'em!

stacy
05-07-2010, 00:06

Matt, definitely the driver. This is why many foreign companies require the driver to be hired for their expats - no liability to the company this way.

Matt24
05-07-2010, 10:45
Thanks very much for your guidance and support.

Matt

nbogaard
05-07-2010, 11:16
When we hired our current driver, my wife sat him down and explained that if he is stopped for a nuisance (pay a bribe) stop he can do as he likes, unledss we tell him that we're in a hurry. She then explains that he he actually commits and offense, we will not reimburse him. Because you didn't have that conversation, I would pay it this time and have the conversation.

FatAndy
05-07-2010, 11:41
Matt, if you're in hurry and agree for all possible expenses - just say "Komandir, gonee, vse shtrafy moeee" - this means you'll compensate his problems.

If you wasn't in hurry, and driver just acted on his risk - then it's his issue, and you just describe him gently but surely that it's his fault, and you wouldn't pay for his errors.
Depends on personal attitude, though. If you use the driver frequently, you can "prticipate" in payment process like an exclusion but not more than once

Cooldude
05-07-2010, 12:05

Matt,
I think that unless you expressly authorised the risk it should be the driver's problem, whatever the wife may say. If this was your personal driver i.e. not someone you hired for a day/trip then I'd probably discuss these matters at the very start of the contract. In Russia "VIP passengers" often expect very agressive driving from their staff drivers and are willing and ready to sort out the consequences/bills. Next time you hire a driver explain to him/her that you expect to be driven around by the rules no matter what, this should prevent any further issues.
Good luck!

P.S. By the way, how did the Big Belgian Wedding go?

Matt24
05-07-2010, 12:19
Matt,
I think that unless you expressly authorised the risk it should be the driver's problem, whatever the wife may say. If this was your personal driver i.e. not someone you hired for a day/trip then I'd probably discuss these matters at the very start of the contract. In Russia "VIP passengers" often expect very agressive driving from their staff drivers and are willing and ready to sort out the consequences/bills. Next time you hire a driver explain to him/her that you expect to be driven around by the rules no matter what, this should prevent any further issues.
Good luck!

P.S. By the way, how did the Big Belgian Wedding go?

This is the family driver who has been working with me for like 5/7 years, I think he's losing the plot, senile dementia is creeping in, or the new machina has reignited the inner child in him - whichever way it is he's being a bit of a tosser just lately, I've been planning the realignment conversation, but the request for subbing the bribe threw me, I'm elated to discover that my reaction doesn't seem to be any different to those of my generous advisors.

With regard to Belgium, still 3 weeks to go, and it's looking immense, we got a paint ball battle on quad bikes lined up as the semi serious end and a black tie dinner with the girl in a cake thang! The only downside is the German contingent are getting immensely overconfident...

AlexanderMSK
06-07-2010, 01:57
of course, driver pays