PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars, Episode 3 thread

tbill
04-05-2005, 18:11
OK, I am really looking forward to buying a pirated copy of this movie. However, I do want to see it in a theater. Any know when this movie opens at theaters in Moscow? And if you do see a pirated copy, post the details here.

:vader:

On a related note (http://channels.netscape.com/ns/news/story.jsp?id=2005050404130002186366&dt=20050504041300&w=RTR&coview=)

P.I.M.P.
04-05-2005, 21:57
You must be one of those guys who will pitch a tent in front of the Radisson Slavyanskaya two weeks before opening night... :)

I hope it plays at the Dome Cinema - The sound there kicks Radisson's butt.

tbill
04-05-2005, 22:21
No I will pay someone to save a place for me.

Do you have any ideas about opening dates?

DPG
04-05-2005, 22:32
Isn't it opening at the same time all round the globe?? (19th I think)...

Have you still got my tent pegs and flysheet, TBill?" - I'll be needing them back soon!!;)

surfsky
05-05-2005, 01:53
Did I mention I am a copy right investigator

rosieredwood
05-05-2005, 17:18
<<Deleted, Inappropriate comment>>

Benedikt
05-05-2005, 17:46
rosieredwood what has your reply to do with someone wanting to watch a movie?

rosieredwood
05-05-2005, 18:09
rosieredwood what has your reply to do with someone wanting to watch a movie?

Just about as much as the person's whose I quoted. :hooray:

tbill
05-05-2005, 23:34
Ok,

Break it up or I am getting my lightsaber out.

tomthumb
06-05-2005, 08:52
You must be one of those guys who will pitch a tent in front of the Radisson Slavyanskaya two weeks before opening night... :)

I hope it plays at the Dome Cinema - The sound there kicks Radisson's butt.

Where is Dome Cinema? It is near Olympiski?

Chubby Hubby
06-05-2005, 09:09
Screw Star Wars... is anyone else a fan of the revived Doctor Who series?

Lled
06-05-2005, 10:03
Screw Star Wars... is anyone else a fan of the revived Doctor Who series?

Create a Dr Who thread, don't hijack a Star Wars thread. You don't know the power of the force.

Ask Putin :vader: this is what they did to him.

rosieredwood
06-05-2005, 13:40

Did I mention I used to **** **** **** *** in the pen?

Chubby Hubby
07-05-2005, 19:06

It must be a festive job, considering that you probably spend most of your days listening to Russian authorities laughing. :jester:

Is it up on Limewire yet?

plastique
07-05-2005, 19:45
please let me know if you seriously want to go see this, cuz i need somone to go with.

tomthumb
08-05-2005, 22:28
I am definitely going to watch this one on big screen.

DPG
12-05-2005, 10:55
Don't know how funny non-Brits will find this, but it's the best thing I've seen in a while!!

http://www.kontraband.com/show/show.asp?ID=1723&rtn=main-topten

I need to get to Aldershot! Hahaha!!

equalizer
12-05-2005, 11:45
over here does anyone really care...............................................no
and in bejing just to rub it in the americans face right outside the embassy was the largest pirate market from dvds to clothes to anything
i suppose the fact most of the films on moscow big streets are also pirated kind of keeps you busy..................what is your sucess rate of closing them down

Zonker
12-05-2005, 11:54
So, is there any confirmation that it will be playing at the Radisson or Dome movie theatres? If so, what day? I heard that 20 May was opening day, but that was some time ago. I want to go, also.

Shall we make it a Star Wars love fest?

equalizer
12-05-2005, 11:56
It must be a festive job, considering that you probably spend most of your days listening to Russian authorities laughing. :jester:

Is it up on Limewire yet?

i have to say this was a classic reply ,and in fact i have seen this happen in similar situations......................brilliant

Delacroix
12-05-2005, 18:25
Lets get organized and meet while the saga ends.
If its in original sound (i hope), i think we can go together to the movie and after that we'll drink a few shots while discussing it.
I heard a lot of spoilers but still willing to see it on big screen.

D.

Moorka
13-05-2005, 17:22

i'm definitely going!
would also enjoy some company (no star wars fans among my friends:((

have no clue though where to watch it in the original...

Zonker
13-05-2005, 18:30
OK, people, so let's make our plans. Where is it playing? When is it playing? I'm going to watch it, would love to watch it with others: TomThumb, Moorka, Delacroix (great avatar, btw), tbill, p.i.m.p, DPG, plastique, and any one else....

According to their website today, American Cinema will be showing it at 19.00 on 19 May. I'm only guessing that it's in English. I just submitted a ticket request for 10 tickets (which is the 7 listed above, me and two extras) at that time and on that date.

Shall we make it firm? Will I see you all there?

By the way, since I'm unemployed right now and not knowing what it'll be like at the theatre, I'll probably go early to get a good place in line (if any), good seats (if the choice is up to me), and so I know how to find the place.

So, who will I see there?

Cheers,
Zonker

tbill
13-05-2005, 19:00
ZONKER,

YES! Go job. I am in. Since you da man, where do you want to meet? At the theater? What time?

Zonker
13-05-2005, 20:15
I can meet you anytime, just let me know when you want to meet. Perhaps we'll pick a time next week some time?

Moorka
14-05-2005, 13:38
I can meet you anytime, just let me know when you want to meet. Perhaps we'll pick a time next week some time?

RESPECT!!!

I'm in for sure!

I'm open to all suggestions regarding time&date...

Yeah, and i looked up their site. It definitely says that all movies are shown in the original. Besides, it looks like they offer discounts for groups over 6 persons:)) not sure if it applies to SW3 though...

Delacroix
14-05-2005, 15:03
Thats the spirit :)
You'll see me there too for sure.
I think I'll be there around 18:45 just before it begins. I have no free time to get the tickets earlier so if you do that, It will be just great.

D.

Zonker
14-05-2005, 15:10
All right! tbill, Moorka, Delacroix, me and my wife. That's five. I haven't heard back from the theatre yet. I'll call them and find out what happens with ticket reservations. I'll go visit them, maybe tomorrow, and find out the details. As soon as I have the details, I'll post back here to fix a time, etc.

All I need now is five more people to claim the other pre-ordered tickets.

Cheers,
Z

tovarisch
14-05-2005, 22:30
[QUOTE=Zonker] I'll call them and find out what happens with ticket reservations. I'll go visit them, maybe tomorrow, and find out the details. As soon as I have the details, I'll post back here to fix a time, etc.

Zonker, just to save you some time. i reserved SW3 tickets on-line and didn't hear back from them for some time. went there around 5 pm one day - the office was already closed while the ticket box wasn't opened yet (starts at 6 pm only). called them during the next day, got a hold of a guy (941-88-95) who said that there should not be any problem to get the reserved tickets on the day of the movie (just pick them up no less than half an hour before the showtime.)
as it was obvious it was important for me to get those tickets , he offered to write down my request again to make me feel convinced that tickets will be there...

plastique
15-05-2005, 01:02
i am in, and i think my roommate may be in with me, but i have to wait till he gets back on monday to confirm that fact.

ucangel
15-05-2005, 20:26
If you lads allow I would like to be in as well; the opening show is on 19th of May Thur. not Friday!.... there are two of us

Delacroix
16-05-2005, 13:26
"I have baaad feeling about this"

Man, I just watched the trailer again. You know what will be the worst part of this movie? Knowing that its the last one.

Hope to see a huge crowd on thursday. Looking for some people to have a few shots tequila right after that!

D.

tbill
16-05-2005, 13:44
"I have baaad feeling about this"

Man, I just watched the trailer again. You know what will be the worst part of this movie? Knowing that its the last one.

Hope to see a huge crowd on thursday. Looking for some people to have a few shots tequila right after that!

D.

I have heard mixed reviews but all have said that it is better than the previous two which I liked. Except for Jar-Jar, if he gets cut in half I would cheer.

Zonker
16-05-2005, 16:59
Hey all, I called them, too, and they have 10 tickets reserved for me. I'll pick them up on Wednesday (reservation office closed tomorrow, she said). Tickets are 350 roubles each. Can we meet on Tuesday at the Novoslobodskaya TGIF to collect the money? Say between 18.00 and 19.30?

I suspect that if I collect money for more than 10 tickets, I can also purchase more than 10 tickets. I'll buy as many as I can with the money I collect.

PM me if you want my cell phone number so that we can touch base or make other arrangements in case tomorrow evening is difficult for you.

Cheers,

legspreader
18-05-2005, 15:03
ah i'm off to kino star screening tonight at mega 1 :vader: :hooray:

Delacroix
19-05-2005, 18:42
:(
Not gonna make it tonight. 'Till midnight I have to be in the office.
I think I'm about to give myself in to my anger.
May the Force be with all of you.

D.

legspreader
19-05-2005, 18:52
man ole darth gets his ass whooped,...

plastique
19-05-2005, 22:41
dude! save for some more sappy love crap, and bad bad lines from said sappy duo...IT WAS AWESOME!!!!

Judge
19-05-2005, 23:27
The place where you all saw it does it have THX sound???
If no i'll wait till im on my visa run.

tbill
20-05-2005, 00:16
American cinema at the Radisson does not have THX. I agree with Plastique, some of the lines were so wooden you could not help but laugh. Also, the person to my right kept talking, sheesh. :rolleyes:

Sadie
20-05-2005, 06:01
it was bloody fantastic - bar the lines and the acting.

Ned Kelly
20-05-2005, 06:03

(oops, automatic log-in issues).

CRAYOLA
20-05-2005, 06:47
Painfully horrible lines, all in all it was awesome.

What is with the assigned seating in a movie theater??????????

Sadie
20-05-2005, 09:08
(oops, automatic log-in issues).
it happens when you check others' PMs :p

P.I.M.P.
20-05-2005, 10:24
it happens when you check others' PMs :p

Ouch! Do I hear a fight? ;)

P.S. Was American Cinema sold out?

DJ Biscuit
20-05-2005, 13:25

What does that leave exactly? Special effects?

Ned Kelly
20-05-2005, 14:01
Ouch! Do I hear a fight? ;)

P.S. Was American Cinema sold out?

no man, surprisingly not. i thought it was going to be packed with americans cheering on yoda and instead it was full of russians answering their mobiles.

dj, you got it....and a flashback to childhood memmories (which beats a bad trip flashback any day).

DJ Biscuit
20-05-2005, 14:04
Try this:

http://www.sithsense.com/flash.htm

Sith reads your mind!

Random
20-05-2005, 14:24
Try this:

http://www.sithsense.com/flash.htm

Sith reads your mind!

No he can't 29 questions before he got Otter ...

My mum could have guessed otter before that ....

Moorka
20-05-2005, 14:25
mine took 24 to guess:) does that mean i'm narrow-mined?

DJ Biscuit
20-05-2005, 14:30
It all goes to show doesn't it?

''Show what?'' They cried.

No idea, but it does.

Possibly that this Sith fella is a loser?

Random
20-05-2005, 14:34
Possibly that this Sith fella is a loser?

And a bad loser at that ...he says he can read minds in 20 questions ..tosh

Right trying him again this time with a grouse - lets see how sharp he is ...

DJ Biscuit
20-05-2005, 14:37
Beat him anyway.

Seems the word 'Firewall' is not in his vocab'.

Random
20-05-2005, 14:38
Grouse isn't either ...

DJ Biscuit
20-05-2005, 14:41
LOL!

Shall we try: Cardbus Adapter, neon, tressle, dual carriageway, franchise

Random
20-05-2005, 14:44
Nah bored now......... :snoring:

Moorka
20-05-2005, 15:30
what are you talking about? it took him 24 to guess a TREE!!! :))

Zonker
20-05-2005, 18:57
I *did* cheer on Yoda. Didn't you hear me?

But, I thought it was very entertaining, which is after all why we went to see it, right? Entertainment comes in many forms: excellent acting, great plot, fantasy that parallels reality and logic.

That this move had little of any of the above does not make it less entertaining.

And while I'm writing...

tBill, Plastique and Moorka: it was nice to meet y'all and share a Star Wars movie with you. Delacroix, sorry you were not able to make it.

Zonker, "Yoda, You Rule!"

palefire
20-05-2005, 20:29
According to several of my friends who saw it last night in London (all committed Star Wars fans), the film is a huge disappointment. So don't get your hopes up too much.

plastique
20-05-2005, 20:35
American cinema at the Radisson does not have THX. I agree with Plastique, some of the lines were so wooden you could not help but laugh. Also, the person to my right kept talking, sheesh. :rolleyes:

I DID NOT YOU LIAR!!! All i said was "oh dear god" once the crappy love stuff started... the guy on my right was the one screaming for Yoda!

Zonker
20-05-2005, 20:39
You're darn tootin' I was! Yoda rules! He (?) rocks! I mean after all these movies of wisdom and raising X-wing fighters out of the muck, he finally gets to kick some A**!!!

If we're picking teams, I pick Yoda. Of course. But, we get to wear shirts.

plastique
20-05-2005, 20:49
Yoda was so bad a*s in this and the last one....

tbill
20-05-2005, 22:38
I had a short conversation with Teutonic Deity afterwards and it came down to this, the fall of Vadar was disappointing. It was just unbelieveable. My opinion is it should have come sooner. Also, I would have liked it if there was some kind of secret that might keep you wondering for the next bit of films. When Yoda said he had something to tell Obi-wan i was on the edge of my seat. But we already knew the Jedi could do that. Of course, i want to see it again in a theater with the full sound system. And I did get vertigo in that first scene looking down at the planet from that distance.

Plastique, I will give you credit for not laughing out loud at that dialogue. I nearly did.

Judge
20-05-2005, 23:24
Just got back from the film, the cinema was the worse iv'e ever been too.Saw it at the Radddy was gonna ask for my cash back the sound was crap..
The film was good ,dialogue was corny.What did it for me was the first heavy breathing from the man in black..

Ned Kelly
21-05-2005, 13:26
I had a short conversation with Teutonic Deity afterwards and it came down to this, the fall of Vadar was disappointing. It was just unbelieveable. My opinion is it should have come sooner. Also, I would have liked it if there was some kind of secret that might keep you wondering for the next bit of films. When Yoda said he had something to tell Obi-wan i was on the edge of my seat. But we already knew the Jedi could do that. Of course, i want to see it again in a theater with the full sound system. And I did get vertigo in that first scene looking down at the planet from that distance.

Plastique, I will give you credit for not laughing out loud at that dialogue. I nearly did.

i disagree t-bill, it was like some sort of ancient tragedy. i thought vader's uncontrollable rage was perfectly set up with the combination of betrayal and guilt set out in the film.

it tied everything up nicely, especially after the crap in the first two films. the lines and acting were poor though - the fact lucas managed to make a brillaint actor like ewan mcgregor come out like a piece of wood was quite a feat.

it was worth it just to see vader in the black mask again anyway!

tbill
21-05-2005, 20:19
Ned,

I should say that it was Hayden what'shisnames fault for not making me believe he was a dark enough character. I think you are right about the final betrayal. What the Emperor said was true, Padme was dead because of Vader's actions even though it wasn't the way that Vader might have thought. A better actor would have made Anakin more like a character in an ancient Greek play. Noble but brought low by his tragic flaw. A tragic hero shows you the good and then gives you glimpses of his flaw before you are wholloped by the sequence of events that leads him down. I just did not get that from Hayden. He seemed like a whiny, little punk. I did not see much difference between him and the character he played in Clones.

Considering how well this film is doing, and my personal preference, I think Lucas would be foolish not to have a TV series about the events between Episode 3 and 4. I have heard something about this, I would love to see a Young Darth Vader hunting down a few more Jedi.

Chubby Hubby
22-05-2005, 22:50
I saw it today. It was great - I mean, except for Anakin sucking as a character. There was little to be done about that; its difficult to figure out a way to take a good little boy and show how he became an evil tyrant. A classic example of a good young man turning to 'the dark side' is that of Rolfe in 'The Sound of Music.' I think they tried to follow this example, but impressionable little goose-steppers are never too into critical thinking and you never think such people are capable of leadership. I have an image in my mind of stock-character nazis from Indiana Jones. He should have been a little more power-hungry in a Charlie Sheen in Wall Street sort of way... he never once in the movie shows that he's capable of leadership or even clear-headed thinking.

My favorite scenes were the ones where the Jedis were getting taken out - I think Palpatine was the true hero of the movie although I have to give Yoda credit. There's a scene where Palpatine stands before the Senate and announces the dissolution of the republic and the establishment of the imperium. He says something like "I have been horribly disfigured due to an attempt on my life," at which point I started chanting "YU-SCHEN-KO! YU-SCHEN-KO!" but nobody got it or joined me.

P.I.M.P.
22-05-2005, 23:29
Ned,

I should say that it was Hayden what'shisnames fault for not making me believe he was a dark enough character. I think you are right about the final betrayal. What the Emperor said was true, Padme was dead because of Vader's actions even though it wasn't the way that Vader might have thought. A better actor would have made Anakin more like a character in an ancient Greek play. Noble but brought low by his tragic flaw. A tragic hero shows you the good and then gives you glimpses of his flaw before you are wholloped by the sequence of events that leads him down. I just did not get that from Hayden. He seemed like a whiny, little punk. I did not see much difference between him and the character he played in Clones.

Considering how well this film is doing, and my personal preference, I think Lucas would be foolish not to have a TV series about the events between Episode 3 and 4. I have heard something about this, I would love to see a Young Darth Vader hunting down a few more Jedi.

I haven't seen episode 2 or 3, and this is a bit off thread, but Hayden Christensen did a really good job playing Stephen Gl**** in Shattered Glass. Great movie to check out for all of you reporters out there :)

Judge
22-05-2005, 23:58
"YU-SCHEN-KO! YU-SCHEN-KO!" but nobody got it or joined me.

:) :) :)

tbill
23-05-2005, 14:29
I haven't seen episode 2 or 3, and this is a bit off thread, but Hayden Christensen did a really good job playing Stephen Gl**** in Shattered Glass. Great movie to check out for all of you reporters out there :)

I did see that PIMP. I agree that Christensen did a good job in that movie. And it was about a guy who had a fall from grace but in this case Glass was a little whiny punk who was making up stories to improve his career. Christensen played Anakin a lot like he played Glass. That was ok in episode two when he is supposed to be a teenager but not as a tragic hero.

Shatneresque
23-05-2005, 14:43
Back in the early 80s (I think it was when "Empire" first came out), it was announced that there would be nine movies in all: the original trilogy, three "prequels," and three "sequels," the last of these showing the restoration of the Republic. The only characters to remain the same in all nine films would be R2-D2 and C3PO, and the story would be told through their eyes.

I wonder now if this plan really has gone by the wayside....

:vader: "Never understimate the power of The Buck!"

veejay
23-05-2005, 14:58
Saw it last night, and was so excited as the 'A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...' came up that i got goose pimples!

acting was typically melodramatic, and the love story was of course cheesy! but, yoda kicking butt and the special effects and the whole thing was just too much fun!!!

i also heard about the prequel/sequel 9 episodes. it does appear to be by the wayside now...:(

Moorka
23-05-2005, 15:19
lucas has denied this several timesin his latest interviews:((

p.s.: i would like to take this opportunity to say once again: thanx, Zonker!!!!

Chubby Hubby
23-05-2005, 16:52
Tak! ;-)

Lled
23-05-2005, 20:36
My favorite scenes were the ones where the Jedis were getting taken out - I think Palpatine was the true hero of the movie although I have to give Yoda credit. There's a scene where Palpatine stands before the Senate and announces the dissolution of the republic and the establishment of the imperium. He says something like "I have been horribly disfigured due to an attempt on my life," at which point I started chanting "YU-SCHEN-KO! YU-SCHEN-KO!" but nobody got it or joined me.

I rather liked the bit in the speech "You are either with us, or you are our enemy".

some cretin of a modern leader mutter something similar in the fight against terror recently?

Dubya, mentor to the new Dark Lord.

PMSL

plastique
25-05-2005, 01:16
So I am now, currently, as I type, watching episode 5 Empire Strikes Back...the writing is just as awful, but because carrie fisher and harrison ford realize how awful it is they don't take it seriously which is why the two of them shine so much more than the others...the dude doing c3po is ironically one of the least robotic actors of all...

and James Earl Jones...well that man can just read the da*n phone book and i'd be all ears...

Delacroix
28-05-2005, 14:40
Last night where was no emergencies, no electric shortcuts, no fire, no traffic, no extra work and no anything. I made my way to Kievskaya around 21:40 and watched SW3 with not more than 20 people around.
Did you all noticed millenium falcon? Just before the scene when Obi and Ani docking with shuttle after their "another happy landing" in the beginning of the movie. There's a huge dock in view. And just there it is, the millenium falcon!
I liked the movie. I'm sure there will be many people who has lots of positive and negative things to say about this part. But I think that, this one gives me all I'm looking for in a Star Wars moive. I was there to hear the first breath from the dark mask, to see the final battle in mustafar, where Master Obi diminishes his lightsaber for a long time, to see the small crack spreads and breaks Ani, to see how he's blinded... there's a lot of things to count, but I never expected to see a great acting, great performance, perfect lines. I'm happy with this. If there's someone else who can make it better...I never say no to a better science fiction movie.
And how can we stop a moment and think about what Yoda says to Ani about training himself to let go all the things that he fears most to lose (or something like that). Wisdom.
I can see it again as the rest of the SW series.
And about the voice of the :vader: ...it still rocks.

Braders
28-05-2005, 16:46
I downloaded the film, all 758MB's of it via limewire and the ba**ard won't play, i'm not a happy camper!

nathan_sundar
28-05-2005, 20:22
I think the movie was very bad when compared to the other parts. especially the first and the 6th

tbill
29-05-2005, 15:16
I downloaded the film, all 758MB's of it via limewire and the ba**ard won't play, i'm not a happy camper!

I was Izmalozovsky Park, I mean Partisan Park, yesterday and they did not have it. I have seen it in a few kiosks. Russians only, unfortunately.

SpruceGoose
29-05-2005, 18:15
I saw it at the Kievskaya Radisson last week, and thought it a load of stale bollocks. The effects were OK, and there wasnt any Yar Yar Binks but I agreed with the guy from the Guardian (UK) that Anakin bore a disturbing resemblance to the late Princess Diana. Yoda was OK, but Samuel Jackson should have worn his Pulp Fiction clothes and attitude, and Ewan MacGregor should have watched the OD scene from Trainspotting to get into the mood and grown a real beard. All in all a harmless way to spend a couple of hours, but not something for those looking for a good film. No doubt a reasonable return to invstment for Messrs Lucas and Co.