PDA

View Full Version : IDL confiscated...Cops needed cash for party..need advice

Monti
03-07-2010, 18:50
Hello everyone.Im new to this forum and already find it a great place to share one's problems ideas etc.My problem is as follows:
This Friday night while driving back from a party and dropping of my Russian friends to their apartment in the Moscow center I lost my way I happened to be driving down a narrow one way street in the wrong way accidently cos it was 1 a.m. pretty dark and didnt get to notice the road sign.
Anyway had my misfortune of running into a GIBDD cop car parked with two cops.The usual check was done and seeing that Im a foreigner who speaks Russian they tried to scare me a lot more and demanded 5000 rubles as it was a celebration of the GIBDD next day...moreover they felt it was a normal sum to let the matter drop as it is a serious offence and I could lose my license for 4 months according to them.I didnt have that much cash on me and had a couple of thousand rubles....The snorted at this proposal to my surprise seemed pretty obnoxious and handed me a protocol finally taking away my IDL and asking me to report at the GIBDD office the next day.I turned up the next day and after waiting for a couple of hours was told by the secretary that everybody was busy and I have to come back on Tuesday.Well I feel a bit frustrated by the situation and frankly speaking the cops just took my IDL which cost me 50 bucks off the internet.Its the kind anyone can get by showing the copy of their national license.(The cops were a bit dumb to realise this).So I can always order another one online but the thing I m worried about is the consequeces of the protocol etc...whats more is the IDL has my living address on it and I could be traced if they wanted to.As I wish to live in moscow for a few more years I was wondering how to go about this situation....Would love the thoughts of any experts out here.I was told that it isnt actually the document thats important cos the cops could just put me on their database and the next time Im stopped and they run my name on the computer I could have problems for not showing up and following the administrative procedures.Please advise...

SV1973a
04-07-2010, 06:53
I don`t know whether the GAI-on-the-street that stops you have the right to take away your drivers licence...
I would suppose that this can only be done after a decision by a court, or by a higher instance.
In your case I would have called my Consulate immediately.
Have you got the identification data of the GAIs ?

rosieredwood
04-07-2010, 10:21
If you really can actually buy a new IDL on the Internet rather easily -- do that. Do not have any dealings with these jokers balls from the GIBDD. They won't do anything, given that they had no right to confiscate your license to begin with.

Your native country's consulate cannot offer you any legal assistance. They'll recite all of the tired cliches about local laws, hiring a lawyer/legal counsel, etc. Just buy a new IDL.

Matt24
04-07-2010, 11:46
You should attend the police station on tha appointed date, the issuance of a protocol, means that somewhen your details will be typed into a database, failure to attend is an additional offense to whatever you've signed, did you agree to the offense, ie just signed it, or did you write you disagreed with the cops position? One way you have to go an pay and be told off, the second route you have to go have a pointless argument, be made to wait around for ever, be told off and pay. From bitter memory the fine for non attendance is way bigger than the road offense official fee, they don't put out an APB on your car, they caught me at t/o, and it was a complete pain. Unless you have diplomatic immunity the Gai have every right to remove your idl in exchange for a citation, as you enjoy exactly the same rights under the law as your Russian counterparts. I would counsel against Getting another document even though it's incredibly unlikely you'll get caught in a roadside pull, eventually bureaucracy will catch up with you and then you'll have to admit to deciding to replace your documents rather than come to the station, which is offense number 3...depends on your appetite for risk, but in the long run it would make sense to me to take tuesday off, go to the station and in thre future do like everybody else does, pay the dude when you get stopped.

Monti
04-07-2010, 17:28
If you really can actually buy a new IDL on the Internet rather easily -- do that. Do not have any dealings with these jokers balls from the GIBDD. They won't do anything, given that they had no right to confiscate your license to begin with.

Your native country's consulate cannot offer you any legal assistance. They'll recite all of the tired cliches about local laws, hiring a lawyer/legal counsel, etc. Just buy a new IDL.

Well the IDL on the internet is a document issued by the International Drivers Association and anyone with a normal national license can get it.Its nothing but a translation of one's local license into 8 major languages (including russian)and is in the form of a booklet and card.Its not valid without one's own license and isn't actually a real document by itself.

The cops informed me that they had every right to take away my IDL cos the offence driving the wrong way of a one way street is punishable by 4 months of confiscation of the license by law in Russia.They issued me a green temporary document which I can use until the court procedure after which I shall lose the right to drive for 4 months and even the green travel permit shall be taken away.
I refused to sign the protocol and this made them even more furious and they didn't want to give me any document in return to follow up and said that if a person refuses to sign he doesnt receive anything(no protocol and no temporary permit to drive etc)so I just scribbled something in order they give me some proof.
Well I wonder if its possible to go to the GiBDD office pay a bribe and get my documents back or do I have to wait for the court procedure etc and finally lose the right to drive....and even if I do,how will they control it?? I mean I can always get a new IDL...Will it be in the database that Ive lost the right to drive??

Monti
04-07-2010, 17:33
I don`t know whether the GAI-on-the-street that stops you have the right to take away your drivers licence...
I would suppose that this can only be done after a decision by a court, or by a higher instance.

the identification data of the officer is written in the protocol itself. I did take a photograph of their cop car with the number plate with my cellphone camera.

alouette
04-07-2010, 17:59
IMHO, Matt24 got his point. If I were in your shoes, I'd follow his advice. And to be on a safe site, why not consulting a lawyer? Maybe somebody from the forum could advice an efficient lawyer?
PS. Very sorry and ashamed that such things go on and on. Disgusting. Just hope it'll stop one day.

Anastasia2010
05-07-2010, 00:38

t

Anastasia2010
05-07-2010, 00:46
IMHO, Matt24 got his point. If I were in your shoes, I'd follow his advice. And to be on a safe site, why not consulting a lawyer? Maybe somebody from the forum could advice an efficient lawyer?
PS. Very sorry and ashamed that such things go on and on. Disgusting. Just hope it'll stop one day.

And what things go on and on exactly? People driving on the wrong side of the road at night?

Max77
19-07-2010, 15:00
PAY ATTENTION!
Whatever your decision is or was, the clock starts counting down your 4 months sunspension ONLY after you hand in to GIBDD your temporary driver's permit (the one that the cops have issued you). This is the rule!

The same thing happend to me and I had to wait two terms (twice the time!) just becuase I didn't follow this very procedure!
:10310:

Aya77
20-07-2010, 00:20
t

They do have the right to take ur licence and will issue u a piece of paper to continue driving with while u await ur court appearance to decide whether u will be fined/how many months loss of lisence or if ull just get a fine. Also though they do have to provide u an interpreter so the time wasting of that usually gets me off scott free. dont be scared to tell them NO and argue a bit, they dont want stress or to wate their time if theyre not gunna get some cash out of it...and from my experience its 100 times cheaper to take the fine!

GaNozri
20-07-2010, 11:49
Just get another IDL. Be sure to change one letter in the spelling of your name - they'll never catch on!