PDA

View Full Version : Sending books out of the country

Warthog
04-05-2005, 13:37
What is the best way to send books from Russia to the UK? I expect to have quite a few books to get back to the UK and need to know the best way to do it. Am I right in thinking that some carriers will offer reduced rates for books.
any help greatly appreciated.

Surok
04-05-2005, 13:45
I don't know about carriers. But the post office does a book rate. Send them overland and they will get there in 2 - 3 weeks.

I've done this with no problems.

Benedikt
04-05-2005, 15:52
...just don't forget the postoffice wants to see what you send!!!!!!!!!!
come with the books, a big pre-written sticker with the uk address. they will pack the books for you in nice brown wrapping paper, with a thick string, they WILL arrive in one piece and nothing will get loose or come open.but you can not send a closed parcel, or if you arrive with one, they will open it again, have a look and prepack it for you ( there is a charge of course...)

Warthog
04-05-2005, 17:08
went to the telegraph on tverskaya, and going to the only counter without a queue asked where to send books to. I was sent to counter 23. Repeating my request there I was told to go to the glavpost or whatever at an address in chisti prudi. My request that she write down the address was excessive but she did give me a piece of paper and pen and told me to write it down myself. For information purposes I relayed the information to the first lady who had sent me to counter 23. She told me it is easy to find and it's next to the metro station.
comparatively painless expedition, I'll keep you posted on what happens at chistie prudi.
many thanks for the help.

veejay
04-05-2005, 17:11
went to the telegraph on tverskaya, and going to the only counter without a queue asked where to send books to. I was sent to counter 23. Repeating my request there I was told to go to the glavpost or whatever at an address in chisti prudi. My request that she write down the address was excessive but she did give me a piece of paper and pen and told me to write it down myself. For information purposes I relayed the information to the first lady who had sent me to counter 23. She told me it is easy to find and it's next to the metro station.
comparatively painless expedition, I'll keep you posted on what happens at chistie prudi.
many thanks for the help.
the glavpost is literally right outside the metro at chistie prudi...head towards mysnitskaya and then turn left. it will be just on the other side of hte bulvar...can't miss it!