PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4 Micro SIM Cards

pmacey
03-07-2010, 07:58
I am thinking of buying an iPhone 4, but am concerned that no Russian mobile phone provider offers the Micro SIM card required to use the phone. Does anyone know if any of the service providers have this Micro SIM available.

Thanks

mattology
03-07-2010, 10:43
Even if not, it is quite easy to cut your existing SIM card to the format which is needed. There are a lot of manuals available how to do it. It is easy, fast and safe.

innovator
07-07-2010, 21:08
YouTube- Convert iPhone Sim into a Micro-Sim for Apple iPad

BrandonL
07-07-2010, 21:15
I am thinking of buying an iPhone 4, but am concerned that no Russian mobile phone provider offers the Micro SIM card required to use the phone. Does anyone know if any of the service providers have this Micro SIM available.

Thanks

MTS has micro SIM cards.

innovator
07-07-2010, 21:31
MTS has micro SIM cards.

@ what cost? Wouldn't you have to change your #? The above solution you keep your existing number.

I suppose you could visit the mts office, purchase the micro sim and keep your existing number, but the above seems like a simpler solution, that is unless you accidently massacre your sim card.

BrandonL
07-07-2010, 22:58
@ what cost? Wouldn't you have to change your #? The above solution you keep your existing number.

I suppose you could visit the mts office, purchase the micro sim and keep your existing number, but the above seems like a simpler solution, that is unless you accidently massacre your sim card.

I don't know the cost, I was just told by the director of Business marketing that they have micro SIM cards

FatAndy
08-07-2010, 11:14
2 innovator:
Wouldn't you have to change your #? The above solution you keep your existing number. - SIM card never contains your phone number. It exists inside operator's computer/switchboard only. There just exist a kind of logical bind between your SIM-card unique number and phone number of operator. Otherwise you should need to change your phone number every time when your phone is lost or stolen.

When you visit operator office and ask about SIM-card replacement, they just disable your old SIM-card unique number and bind new SIM-card unique number to your phone number.

BrandonL
08-07-2010, 21:52

The cost for a Micro SIM card from MTS is free.

innovator
08-07-2010, 22:54
The cost for a Micro SIM card from MTS is free.

Right but if someone is on Beeline or Megafon they will have to cut their card at the moment. Even if you are on MTS and don't want to make a trip down to the MTS office to sort this out you may want to follow the above instructions.:fridaysign:

Utrea
14-07-2010, 14:19
I am about to purchase the iPhone 4. However, I am wondering what I will have to do to get a micro sim. I will order the phone from apple. So do I just go to the ATT store and ask for a micro sim?

mattology
14-07-2010, 15:13
In which country are you planning to buy the phone? If you order it from Apple USA/buy it in an ATT store, the SIM card will already be in the phone as you will have to sign up for a contract.

Voot
14-07-2010, 21:33
I'm pleased this discussion is taking place. I've also wondered about this micro sim problem. You can now buy a sim-free Iphone 4 from England. But then you need to get a sim in Russia. Of course, you can go through the process of cutting them down to size. But I may keep my old phone as a backup and get a new Sim (I'd probably screw it up anyway).

So what I understand is that MTS give free micro sims (and you'd need to purchase a 'package'). Do you automatically have to sign up to an expensive package with a micro sim? And does anyone know if Beeline (or other providers) plan free micro sims. Thanks.

Voot
15-07-2010, 09:36
It was mentioned on the news this morning that Apple have done a deal to supply micro sim cards to RE:Store. I don't know any more than that.

trancophile
15-07-2010, 13:16
Have you guys seen how much people are trying to sell the Iph4 here for? I searched on Yandex market and got 80,000 rubles for the 32GB. Unbelievable.

FatAndy
15-07-2010, 14:46
Is it much or?

mattology
15-07-2010, 17:19
Is it much or?

It definitely is. The lucky ones who bought some in England when they were released paid GBP 499 for 16GB and 599 for 32GB. You can do the currency conversion yourself ;) ... that's quite a decent profit margin. But I doubt anyone would actually pay 80.000 for that...

RichardB
15-07-2010, 17:44
Have you guys seen how much people are trying to sell the Iph4 here for? I searched on Yandex market and got 80,000 rubles for the 32GB. Unbelievable.

2000???

Maybe I should bring some with me next month and sell them!

FYI 500 for an unlocked 16GB iphone 4

FatAndy
15-07-2010, 17:54
It definitely is. The lucky ones who bought some in England when they were released paid GBP 499 for 16GB and 599 for 32GB. You can do the currency conversion yourself ;) ... that's quite a decent profit margin. But I doubt anyone would actually pay 80.000 for that...

Me definitely not. The phone must have buttons. IMHO.

innovator
31-07-2010, 23:10
MTS has micro SIM cards.

Can you go into MTS office, ask them for a mirco sim and ask them to assign this to your existing number or do you need to sign up for some new kind of plan? Has anyone done this?

reexpat
05-08-2010, 18:31
Can you go into MTS office, ask them for a mirco sim and ask them to assign this to your existing number or do you need to sign up for some new kind of plan? Has anyone done this?

Similar question but can I sign up for any plan with a microsim from MTS or only certain plans?

I am also trying to decide between a iphone 3 and 4 before moving to Moscow shortly. If the microsim will be a big hassle for the near future I may go with the 3GVersion.

baldfox
08-08-2010, 23:04
Hi all, first post ever on this site, just moved to moscow, 7th day ! Just to let some of you know I went into the MTS store near pushkinskaya, and they told me that I can have to take my MTS sim card to the Main office in VDNKH (excuse the spelling, im tired and it's late!).. basically it's on the yellow line, past alexeevskaya where they will transfer details on to a micro sim.

My iphone 4 wont be here for a week or so (coming from UK) so wont know the outcome until then, but it might help a few others...
'foxy

FatAndy
09-08-2010, 11:39
Everything should be correct but both m. VDNH and Alexeevskaya are at orange line, North, not yellow which is center to East. ;)

take my MTS sim card to the Main office in VDNKH (excuse the spelling, im tired and it's late!).. basically it's on the yellow line, past alexeevskaya where they will transfer details on to a micro sim.
'foxy

O'Green
12-08-2010, 23:30
Hi there,

According to the net it looks like Megafon also offers this feature with couple of restrictions:

1) Not all tariffs can be purchased with MicroSim cards;
2) Not all number series are available when you buy new contract

No information whether you can keep existing number though.

Maybe later on it will be more clear.

Monti
16-08-2010, 05:21
has anyone here actually unlocked their iphone 4 or 3GS themselves successfully...
there are tons of tutorials on the net but would be great to get advice from someone in real,as Im planning to buy my friends iphone who is coming from the US.

Monti
16-08-2010, 05:27
I think 80,000 is a bit far fetched Ive seen telephones being sold for around 40,000 on several sites...for example: http://www.svyaztelecom.ru/catalog/257-5529.html

kharaku
17-08-2010, 19:42
MTS has micro SIM cards.

Does MTS have Unlimited Voice and Data? If so how much does that run?

rhand
04-10-2010, 13:16
Was wondering if Beeline had the micro sims or not. Found this thread. As far as I understand from this thread I would have to cut my Beeline sim card to turn it into a micro sim?? That or move to MTS. is this still the case or does Beeline have them now as well? I have Beeline Prepaid by the way..

rhand
04-10-2010, 13:18
Well http://www.uzdaily.com/articles-id-11561.htm says so. If Beeline Uzbekistand has them so should Beeline Russia... I guess I will have to pass by and ask as soon as I get the Iphone 4 from abroad.

FatAndy
04-10-2010, 13:28
wondering if Beeline had the micro sims or not - why not to call them and ask?
(495) 974 88 88
(495) 755 00 55
0611 from mobile

rhand
02-11-2010, 09:58
Went to several Eurocenters where Beeline told me I could get my existing Beeline number transferred to a microsim card. They had no clue what to do what the contract number I got from Beeline which should suffice. According to Beeline anyways. Neither could they - Eurocenter personnel - do anything with my mobile number or passport including visa. One guy suggested to get a new contract and new phone number to get it done. Another suggested to cut my simcard to a fitting size. No thanks.
Decided to go to MTS with my wife. There she went with a paper indicating she requested her current MTS number to be transferred to a microsim including an embassy stamp and signature of an authorized official. After she got her microsim we asked for one for me as well. Maybe it would be a smoother ride at MTS.. Initially they refused saying the papers I had on me were not good enough and that I needed other registration papers. Then my wife got rather upset, asked for the manager, had another chat as she was able to speak English and was not as extremely rude as the initial seller was. After a rough start the manager decided in the end our paper work did suffice and asked the seller to take care of it. Even though he looked really angry he did in the end. So now I have an MTS microsim, not a Beeline one. As you can see that asking for one wasn't as easy as it sounded.

steve77
02-11-2010, 12:09
Went to several Eurocenters where Beeline told me I could get my existing Beeline number transferred to a microsim card. They had no clue what to do what the contract number I got from Beeline which should suffice. According to Beeline anyways. Neither could they - Eurocenter personnel - do anything with my mobile number or passport including visa. One guy suggested to get a new contract and new phone number to get it done. Another suggested to cut my simcard to a fitting size. No thanks.

Personally I cut mine. Didn't have any problems.:applause:

steve77
02-11-2010, 15:16
The way to cut it is to find another microsim, then trace over your existing sim with a fine pencil. Make sure you have it lined up correctly so that when you cut it - it looks like the microsim you are trying to replicate with the goldplating in the centre. This is where the electronics is. Be sure that you don't cut into that.

After you're done cutting you may need to do a bit of trimming. Be careful you don't do too much. I recommend a sharp pair of sissors, the kind that barbers use.

Haldenn
04-11-2010, 14:26
i am using apple i-phone but that is older model and i want to replace that with new one.

trancophile
04-11-2010, 15:15
I am with Megafone and just walked in and asked for one. They allocated my number to it and that was it. Took minutes and was free. It works fine, but as far as I know companies other than MTS have yet to offer plans specifically for iPhone4, so I am on Svobodni Slova (free words).

mattology
08-11-2010, 15:32
I had mine replaced in the Beeline head office on Tverskaya. It was done in a few minutes and was free. So, yes, Beeline offers microSIMs and they work perfectly.

steve77
08-11-2010, 18:24
No man you gotta cut one. It's more fun and challenging. (Feel a sense of accomplishment.) :applause:

FatAndy
08-11-2010, 18:37
Challenging???

5 cuts??? :D

Nice joke, thanks! :ok:

No man you gotta cut one. It's more fun and challenging. (Feel a sense of accomplishment.) :applause:

steve77
08-11-2010, 19:27
It's not just 5 cuts. It's cutting it perfectly so it fits into that little tray. Not as easy as it looks.

FatAndy
08-11-2010, 19:49
Maybe ;)
http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/apple/how-to-make-your-own-ipad-micro-sim-681020

mattology
08-11-2010, 23:25
I was happy to have mine replaced - because I actually tried cutting it. But as a matter of fact, the Beeline SIM cards (at least the ones I know) have a rather small chip on them. So leaving the right amount of plastic on each side of the chip is rather difficult. This is where I went wrong. I slipped the SIM into the phone and it was not recognized...

So, I was happy to have it exchanged at the Beeline office. Saved me quite some hassle.

FatAndy
09-11-2010, 12:10
May happen, yes. I've checked my current Beeline SIM (white/yellow/black) vs old one from MTS (yellow, Gemplus produced).
MTS/Gemplus indeed has bigger metal space around contacts and more oval shape of the area.
Beeline has smaller metal space although the same contacts area, and more rectangular shape of the area.

the Beeline SIM cards (at least the ones I know) have a rather small chip on them. So leaving the right amount of plastic on each side of the chip is rather difficult. This is where I went wrong.

Desert Addict
26-11-2010, 01:04
I was happy to have mine replaced - because I actually tried cutting it. But as a matter of fact, the Beeline SIM cards (at least the ones I know) have a rather small chip on them. So leaving the right amount of plastic on each side of the chip is rather difficult. This is where I went wrong. I slipped the SIM into the phone and it was not recognized...

So, I was happy to have it exchanged at the Beeline office. Saved me quite some hassle.

Damn, I just cut my MTS Company SIM and when I link the iPhone to the laptop is does no recognize it. Think I messed up. Hopefully it is because I am abroad (although now I am realllly hoping). This is going to be a fun discussion with my boss... although not in the next days as he can not call me as the cut up sim also doesn't work anymore in teh original phone... shit happens...

FatAndy
26-11-2010, 11:03
Well, it was not a good idea to do it far from MTS office ;)

Buy simplest prepaid set (mobile phone + SIM) from local operator, tell your boss your new local mobile number to get business connection (well, without iPhone), and solve all problems when you'll be back to Moscow.

Damn, I just cut my MTS Company SIM and when I link the iPhone to the laptop is does no recognize it. Think I messed up. Hopefully it is because I am abroad (although now I am realllly hoping). This is going to be a fun discussion with my boss... although not in the next days as he can not call me as the cut up sim also doesn't work anymore in teh original phone... shit happens...

TVmoto
08-12-2011, 09:19
I'm flying back to Moscow on Dec. 9th and I can bring a new iPhone 4s factory unlocked to use any sim card if anyone is interested in the new one. I just got a 32gb model and I'm eager to try it. What network has the best service/rate for an iPhone?

Melsey
04-01-2012, 00:20
Really need to know how they function in Moscow, and what the best service provider is for fast and reliable unlimited internet.
Much appreciated

TVmoto
04-01-2012, 08:26
I think most of the providers have the micro SIM punch. The mobile phone store at Domodedovo punched out one for my 4s, installed it, and got my phone working in less then 5 min. I still had to add money so I had some minutes to use, but the top up booths are plentiful. If you run out of min. on your phone, the call just ends!

amynator
08-01-2012, 19:49
Hello! I bought an iphone 4s in the states and I got the phone working in Moscow with no problem when I bought a sim card in the airport. But data isn't working at all. My phone doesn't recognize any 3G network or whatever exists in Moscow (I'm new to this, so I have no idea). I was told that internet should work automatically. Wifi works fine, but I want to be able to use internet on the go. Is it an issue with the phone (I bought it factory unlocked) or does my provider (megafon) need to set something up?