PDA

View Full Version : Air conditioners - Zheck approval

Proper Bostonian
03-05-2005, 11:29
This is the year I'm breaking down and planning to install air conditioners in our apartment (2). Now I've learned that you need permission from zheck or the city engineering dept (not sure which) to install air conditioners. Has anyone had any experience with getting permission for a/c? How long might it take and what's involved? How strict/serious is this new ruling? Input appreciated. Thanks.

equalizer
03-05-2005, 11:34
absolute crap,fit what you want ,last year i had ac installed in a couple of appartments and it was no problem,the only come back is where the water drips ,ie onto a walkway then you may have some problems .also choose the brand carefully ,i bought hitachi and my neibours bought some chinnesse crap and have since replaced it.better buy now before the prices go up

Proper Bostonian
03-05-2005, 12:10
Thanks Equalizer, but as I understand the law just went into effect either March or May 1 so you'd probably be grandfathered out (if there is such a thing here. Will probably go w/LG or Samsung though might be persuaded otherwise.

Pobman
03-05-2005, 12:22
Well I guess anything you do to alter the electical wiring of your apartment has to be registered... technically ... but I dont know anybody who does.

I like the LG ArtCool units (about 450$), shame they are LG though ...

equalizer
03-05-2005, 13:04
if you own your own appartment ,you can do what you want ie new bathroom ,kitchen etc ,if you want to take down a supporting wall ,yes get advice ,regarding laws coming into effect there are all types of laws,existing and new ,however if you move *** and stop asking more questions then you can simply say it was done before may1 if it exists,as for zhek the only time you will need them is for turning off the hot or cold supply to the building.
i have never had anyone from any offical body ask anything,usually you have to go out of your way to find them.

Pobman
03-05-2005, 13:09
actually if you own your own apartment there are still so many things you need to register if you want to do things by the law... which is why so few do.

equalizer
03-05-2005, 13:26
ok if you want be part of that expat community how lives here and gets nothing done due to so called rules then ok talk each other out of it,then in the summer when the costs are nearly double with installation etc and your sweating your b**** off just think of me,sitting in a cool17 or 18 sipping my ice tea................

Pobman
03-05-2005, 14:10
My air con only gets my apartment down to about 19C in the summer ... but thats enough :)

Anybody used a Evap system here, or is the humidity to high in Moscow for them to work? Much cheaper than aircon if they are viable.

equalizer
03-05-2005, 14:30
thats a point usually all summer i suffer from colds

nsuprun
03-05-2005, 21:34
I had one put in last year and had no problems & I did not get an OK from anyone. I would think that your sub-contractor would be the one to get the answers from.

FYI - I had a Samsung put in and the cool works fine. However the heat in the winter sucks. It gets its heat from the air so the colder it gets the less heat I get. So when it is down to - 15 or below you can forget about heat.

equalizer
03-05-2005, 22:28
from the goats mouth ,the zhecks themselfs ,yes and no .if its a standard home appilance no problem ,however if its a noisy bigC*** then yes as you will annoy the people next door .

Benedikt
04-05-2005, 11:10
...indeed yes and no, if your existing powerlines are new and strong enough to take the load, it is ok. just plug in the aircon and you are all cool under the collar...
but if you live in an older building and you have to take a line from the junktion box (that is located on the stairs...) it is in your own interest to get the guys from the housing estate to do it.
IF your subcontractor makes a mess, the fuses start to trip or god forbid something worse happens, YOU are responsible and no one else.

norwichmom
04-05-2005, 18:21
So can someone recommend a good contractor who can install an a/c unit for me, or is it something that can be done without a contractor?
Thanks!
Dara

Proper Bostonian
04-05-2005, 18:28
Most of the firms that specialize in a/c sales can provide installation. MVideo also does installations.

equalizer
04-05-2005, 18:48
Most of the firms that specialize in a/c sales can provide installation. MVideo also does installations.

yes i would go with mvideo,at least they should be here if you have problems ,i just phoned my last installer and they have stopped trading