PDA

View Full Version : Exiting Russia with Zagran

vitalica
01-05-2005, 05:21
Maybe someone can help us with this situation.

My wife and daughter are travelling to Russia in June. They recently received new zagran passports from the Consulate in Seattle. No problem so far...

In addition to Russian citizenship, they also have US citizenship. I understand that it is probably best to renounce Russian citizenship and travel on a US passport. However, my wife owns property in Russia and does not want to lose ownership. Therefore, dual citizenship.

Upon arrival to Russia, she will also get a new internal passport to replace the old Soviet passport.

Now for my question: Does her new zagran passport need any stamps in it that say, in effect, that she is living permanently outside of Russia? Will passport control look for anything specific in her zagran in order for her to be able to leave the country? What must she (they) do or have in their possession in order to leave the country.

My wife hasn't been back to Russia since leaving in 1995. When we originally left, we were hassled by passport control because she didn't have the proper stamp/seal in her zagran passport. We managed to talk our way through passport control that time.

Any expertise in this kind of situation would be very helpful. As most people have experienced, we can't seem to get a straight answer (or one at all) from the consulate. Most of the time, they don't even answer their phone. By the way, my wife hasn't seen her parents for 10 years! She is very anxious to get to Russia!

Thank!

straun
01-05-2005, 06:32
I understand that it is probably best to renounce Russian citizenship and travel on a US passport.
Now for my question: Does her new zagran passport need any stamps in it that say, in effect, that she is living permanently outside of Russia? Will passport control look for anything specific in her zagran in order for her to be able to leave the country? What must she (they) do or have in their possession in order to leave the country.

I would disagree with your first statement. Many people travel on both. My wife leaves the US with her US passport and then uses her Russian passport when we go through passport control in Moscow. No need to "renounce your citizenship"

I don't believe there is anything you need in your Russian (Zagran) passport. My wife has nothing but entry and exit stamps. The only issue is when you leave, the airline will want proof that you will be able to enter the US. Such as a green card, visa, or passport. Then you would just show them you would just show them your US passport.

As far as your internal passport goes, you may get hassled if your propiska is not in the city you are staying in. However, to get around this you should be able to show the militsia your travel documents (tickets) showing you are leaving the city eventually.

vitalica
01-05-2005, 19:48
Thanks for the information! As for saying that it may be best to renounce Russian citizenship, that is not my opinion but an opinion that was given to me by others. The whole issue is not one of pride but rather one of "ease of travel".

When we left Russia 10 years ago, it was required to have a stamp in the zagran that said, if effect, that the bearer of the passport was living permanently outside of Russia. In other words, one had to register in the United States. My wife has never done so. Therefore, we have been afraid to travel back to Russia in fear of not being allowed to leave.

So...this is good news. Especially if there is no longer a requirement to have this special stamp in the zagran. When my wife and daughter were issued new zagran passports, they were instructed to go to some office in Moscow and get a stamp that says something like this: This passport is not marked in the propiska passport or something like that.

I just want to make sure all will go well...

Mark

Polia Ivanova
10-05-2005, 15:20
Don't worry

I found that nobody actually create any hassle for Russians with double citizenship.

I travelled with both my passports and my Russian doesn't have British visa and it was OK with Russian passport control (the Russian “zagran” passport was issued in the UK by the embassy, so no questions asked, both in and out)

I used my UK passport to enter the UK on a way back.

I didn't declare my dual citizenship when I got my new Russian passport (they don't care) and I declared it in Russian embassy when I got my new "zagran" - it didn't create any problems.

And stamp in "zagran " passport is optional too - it is just easier and cheaper to get a new "zagran" and resolve a few issues with the embassy if you have it. I don't have this stamp and it was OK with them too (I just paid £200 pounds instead of 60 for a new "zagran")

It is not complicated at all.

gmayne
10-05-2005, 17:34
Hi Mark, I posted a question almost identical to the question you have posted and I have also received different stories from people. I live in South Africa and our local consulate told us that it won't be a problem but other Russians on this site told me that you need a stamp in you new Russian internal passport or something to that effect. My wife does not have the new internal passport as she left in 1993 and has not returned since. Anyway my question to you is this: in her zagran passport which she got in South Africa, it says "the internal passport does not have a stamp with respect to this travel passport" Are you saying that if she has this stamp, we won't have any problems?