PDA

View Full Version : 4th of July

istra123
29-06-2010, 12:52
Hi everyone!

Does anyone know of any events going on for the 4th of July?

Thanks;)

FlakeySnowballer
29-06-2010, 13:08
Is it a holiday?:bookworm:

Viola
29-06-2010, 13:12
Usually American Chamber of Commerce organizes a celebration at Kuskovo. Jul 03, 2010: 15:00 | AmCham's Annual U.S. Independence Day Extravaganza (http://www.amcham.ru/events/upcoming/usindependenceday)

nbogaard
29-06-2010, 13:12
Is it a holiday?:bookworm:

U.S. Independence Day

tvadim133
29-06-2010, 13:15
Traditionaly it is celebrated in Kuskovo park.

I am nit sure as for this year (but for 10 years they have been organizing it in that area)

The cost be around 300 rur, some concerts inside, football, food and finaly fireworks and so on.

istra123
01-07-2010, 15:08
Thanks everyone, I'll give it a try.

Benedikt
01-07-2010, 15:21
Thanks everyone, I'll give it a try.
600 rubles at the gate
500 at the offices of AMCHAM
free shuttle busses from Ryasanski Prospect Metro.
kids under 12 get in free if accompanied by an adult.
time:saturday 3rd of July 3pm to 11pm
hope the weather god will be gracious, or at least let it rain in the night only, after the fireworks are over.
we always had great fun, there are no fights, do hooligans, just fun!!!!!!!!!

AlevtinaT
02-07-2010, 10:23
:fireworks:U.S. Independence Day Celebration will take place July 4 at Kuskovo Park!!!

FlakeySnowballer
02-07-2010, 10:36
Independence from whom?

orlando771
02-07-2010, 11:59
Hi everyone!

Thanks;)

is that another 3 days Russian holiday?

orlando771
02-07-2010, 12:02
Hi everyone!

Thanks;)

Independence from whom?

from indians, and they have to celebrate it in Russia..

tvadim133
02-07-2010, 12:50
is that another 3 days Russian holiday?

Sence of sarcasm.....

There are many americans living in Moscow, there are many american companies besides here.

tvadim133
02-07-2010, 12:50
Independence from whom?

Are you kidding or you really do not know the history?

ET2009
02-07-2010, 18:50
Where has it been announced that there will a 4th of July celebration?

Jack17
02-07-2010, 19:16
from indians, and they have to celebrate it in Russia..
No Orlando, from Great Britain and King George III - America defeated the same army that defeated Napoleon 20 years later at Waterloo. The only difference was that the British army in North America was larger and better trained than the one Wellington led against Napoleon. 7000 Bristish soldiers, under Lord Cornwallis, surrendered to Washington in 1781 at Yorktown, effectively concluding the American War of Independence. The United States, the only contry to win independence from Great Britain by force. That is what we celebrate on July 4.

Viola
02-07-2010, 19:21
Usually American Chamber of Commerce organizes a celebration at Kuskovo. Jul 03, 2010: 15:00 | AmCham's Annual U.S. Independence Day Extravaganza (http://www.amcham.ru/events/upcoming/usindependenceday)

This is a working link!!!

FlakeySnowballer
02-07-2010, 21:02
Thank you Jack.

Are you kidding or you really do not know the history?

But i know many things instead of history (indeed i hated this subject with my teacher at school and at university as well) which you don't know:respect:
I bet you don't know how to calculate a diagram of the longitudinal forces for example :ok:

tvadim133
02-07-2010, 21:17
Thank you Jack.

But i know many things instead of history (indeed i hated this subject with my teacher at school and at university as well) which you don't know:respect:
I bet you don't know how to calculate a diagram of the longitudinal forces for example :ok:

Sure, I do not know many thing connected with specific professions,for example.

I do not know a lot and even how to plane a chair or how to knite.

But basic things for an intelligent person......

Sorry to hear that!

I hope you know, the earth is round at least

:) :)

Though I guess, you hated the tutor, who tried to teach you about it as well?

:10806:

FlakeySnowballer
02-07-2010, 21:22
Sure, I do not know many thing connected with specific professions,for example.

I do not know a lot and even how to plane a chair or how to knite.

But basic things for an intelligent person......

Sorry to hear that!

I hope you know, the earth is round at least

:) :)

Though I guess, you hated the tutor, who tried to teach you about it as well?

:10806:

Why? I like geography and other ones but indeed that i hated were history and russian language :suspect: but at the same time i received honor degree as an engineer :lick:

tvadim133
02-07-2010, 21:29
No comments! Just Sad!

FlakeySnowballer
02-07-2010, 21:34
No comments! Just Sad!

Why? :devil: BTW who said you that "smth and smth" is a sign of an intelligent person?

Bels
03-07-2010, 00:14
Just for you Flakey. The faithfull wikipedia has the true history of independance day. Although America was a great loss to Britain, they continued to increase their empire with Australia, South Africa and India and probably other countries, And yes Britain also defeated Napoleon and the Spanish at Sea, and also on land at Trafalger. So brilliant history.

Here it is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_Day_(United_States)

Jack17
03-07-2010, 04:24
Thank you Jack.

Yes, well, a . . .let's see, I think you multiply by 2, then the hypotenuse, or was it the Uncle Tenus, hmmm. . .I'll have to get back to you on that.

Benedikt
03-07-2010, 07:59
this is an answer and how it should be. :applause:we are here a site of many different nations, who also speak different languages and DO make mistakes when writing. So be it. ;)Not everybody knows everything:12115: about anything and immediately asks Wiki first.
so there is in my opinion no need for vitriolic, silly or condescending answers when one of the members does blunder. Keep to the subject and try to help instead of being sarcastic. Show by all means that you come from a great nation (even if it is only small Austria,where I was born) be proud of it, s i am, and help others to understand your views better by being helpful and friendly;) instead of being bullish and a bore.:redcard: Who needs that.;)

Jack17
03-07-2010, 08:42
Just for you Flakey. The faithfull wikipedia has the true history of independance day. Although America was a great loss to Britain, they continued to increase their empire with Australia, South Africa and India and probably other countries, And yes Britain also defeated Napoleon and the Spanish at Sea, and also on land at Trafalger. So brilliant history.

Bels, I couldn't resist tweeking British noses on this site by embellishing somewhat the meaning of Independence Day. Yeah, every American school kid knows the declaration of Independence was signed on July 4, 1776 in Philadelphia; but it was made a reality by Washington's victory at Yorktown in 1781 and confirmed by the Treaty of Paris in 1783 between His Majesty George III and the United States of America. Reminding Brits that 7000 British soldiers surrendered on American soil is a temptation I can't resist. How do you imagine Lord Cornwallis was received back in London?

Jack17
03-07-2010, 20:24
this is an answer and how it should be. :applause:we are here a site of many different nations, who also speak different languages and DO make mistakes when writing. So be it. ;)Not everybody knows everything:12115: about anything and immediately asks Wiki first.
so there is in my opinion no need for vitriolic, silly or condescending answers when one of the members does blunder. Keep to the subject and try to help instead of being sarcastic. Show by all means that you come from a great nation (even if it is only small Austria,where I was born) be proud of it, s i am, and help others to understand your views better by being helpful and friendly;) instead of being bullish and a bore.:redcard: Who needs that.;)
Well said Benedikt. But you must have some tolerance for the otherwise boring tit-for-tat that has gone on between Brits and their former "colonists" for some 250 years. It will not soon end; certainly not in our lifetimes.

As for me, I live in the most tolerant, open minded place on earth - California. We're so open minded, we elected the son of a former Austrian Nazi Officer our govenor. And no, I'm not talking about Kurt Waldheim.

FlakeySnowballer
03-07-2010, 20:56
Yes, well, a . . .let's see, I think you multiply by 2, then the hypotenuse, or was it the Uncle Tenus, hmmm. . .I'll have to get back to you on that.

This comment was for Tvadim:11158:

Bels
03-07-2010, 21:25
Whatever said. What a great history for Britain and its empire. And yes a big mistake that Britain couldn't control America when it was smaller. There were obviously traitors including settled Brits, French.Dutch, Spanish, Germans who let them down jointly. There is no doubt that this was a planned united venture before the Brits attacked to enfoce and protect their American empire. And yes a big mistake. However Britain continued to increase their empire elsewher, with countres such as Australia and South Africa, even with the interruption of the Napoleon war, where both Wellington and Nelson defeated Napoleon. The end of the British empire came with the !st and 2nd world wars. What a major distraction that was. So we can blame the Natzis and the Japanese at the the same time for the loss of the British empire. Believe me. Britain didn't want such distruction. Although they won, it was at great cost.

Bels, I couldn't resist tweeking British noses on this site by embellishing somewhat the meaning of Independence Day. Yeah, every American school kid knows the declaration of Independence was signed on July 4, 1776 in Philadelphia; but it was made a reality by Washington's victory at Yorktown in 1781 and confirmed by the Treaty of Paris in 1783 between His Majesty George III and the United States of America. Reminding Brits that 7000 British soldiers surrendered on American soil is a temptation I can't resist. How do you imagine Lord Cornwallis was received back in London?

sweetfart
03-07-2010, 21:46
happy 4th of july my fellow 'murcans. im gonna be on a f**king plane the whole time and then im spending the 4th in prague so ill miss the fireworks. :(

Bels
03-07-2010, 21:58

A question. There were 7,000 troops who surrenderd. How many were they fighting against. I have a feeling they were fighting against many nationalities including traitor British and Irish civilians., with French, Dutch etc etc. Lord Cornwell ma y well have had an overwhelming confrontion of mixed nationalities and traitors to fight in that country. Something I would never do, as I always believe in fighting for my country, no matter what faults my goverment may have had. Obviously the problem was in charging too much taxes. This problem should have been argued and resolved, rather than traiters and jealous other nationalities planning mutiny in the country of what is now The USA.

As I say Britain has made some serious mistakes, and has made some some serious mistakes, such as losing the USABut even so there is no doubt that Britain has created history in being a country that has conquered one third of the world in pink. Nobody can take that away from them. And from this history, that is why Britain is still one of the top countries in the world. Even though it is geographicilly many times smaller than Russia, Canada, Australia, and many other third world countries.

A big country yet small in size, of which caused a big impact throughout the world! Don't you agree? What is the first second language of the world? English of course. You need English in business and world communication , or the world won't function. Was it due to to Americans? Of course not not, same as Aus tralians, South Africans, Trinidadians, Jamaicans, Indians etc. The English language belongs to Britain. From then on we are the ones who passed it on to South Africa, and other parts of Africa, USA. Canada, etc ,etc. And Britain should be proud of such history.

Britain has shown greater success than what even the Romans or Ghengis Khan did in the past. They conquered one third of the world, and now everyone needs English as a language.

Benedikt
04-07-2010, 00:00
well i suppose since there is no more 'sippenhaft' it is ok to have him. but he only got in there because married the maria shriver, the niece of JFK ( if i am not mistaken).
but his time is over now and as far as i know, since he is not a native born american, that's all he can do. or can he become a member of congress or the like?
maybe they will change the law and he will become president, couldn't d worse then the guys you had the last 15 years or so.
or maybe it is time for a woman, you know there was another one elected today in one of the ex cccp states.

TD
05-07-2010, 03:53
Independence from whom?

That's what quite a few US citizens said in the following clip -->

YouTube- Jaywalking - 4th of July (Embarrassing!)

Yaakov1
05-07-2010, 05:29

YouTube- Jaywalking - 4th of July (Embarrassing!) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkQ6XgXeNuY)

lol that grandmpa is awesome :P

Benedikt
05-07-2010, 08:08
lol that grandmpa is awesome :P

on the other hand, i wonder how many of MY country men-women-kids would know when WE celebrate our 'independence' day in Austria.
People brought up on a diet of 'big brother' and 'sex and the city' might know more about that then about their own country. Or do they really care or have pride. It is one thing to shout 'i am ....and proud of it' but do they know what our forefathers did and DIED FOR so we can be proud of it.Very few indeed do. And not a small part to blame for is the lousy schooling system. Where national history is not so important anymore. Sad indeed.

martpark
05-07-2010, 09:21

YouTube- Jaywalking - 4th of July (Embarrassing!) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkQ6XgXeNuY)

I'm guessing if you asked people from the East Coast it would be a little different as that's where all those things happened.

Viola
05-07-2010, 10:19

One could compile such video about anything in any country but it is always funny :D

FlakeySnowballer
05-07-2010, 13:44
One could compile such video about anything in any country but it is always funny :D

But for example all russian, hebrew, polish, czech and german know about world war 2

Korotky Gennady
06-07-2010, 15:22
Are you kidding or you really do not know the history?You know... here in Russia we have also Independence Day but none knows from whom is this our independence.

Polls show this fact.

Korotky Gennady
06-07-2010, 15:32

Bels, for sure yankies were much better under british crown. At least they couldn't treat the blacks so bad during almost one more century... It is so sad that they became independent though. ((((((;

Korotky Gennady
06-07-2010, 15:38
so there is in my opinion no need for vitriolic, silly or condescending answers when one of the members does blunder.

Keep to the subject and try to help instead of being sarcastic. Show by all means that you come from a great nation (even if it is only small Austria,where I was born) be proud of it

Where is this Astria ?

Benedikt
06-07-2010, 17:52
Where is this Astria ?
or maybe you made a typing mistake..
One thing is for sure, we are not to be mistaken with AUSTRALIA, for once we have no kangaroos and unfortunately, since we have no sea, we also have no Gold Coast,Great Barrier Reef and Bondi beach.
But most of our lakes have drinking water quality, and not only since a year or two.We do have Mozart,the Trapp familie (that is what most americans know about Austria).Ah, yes and the California Gouvernator is an Austrian.
But most of all I AM FROM AUSTRIA :applause:*(sorry,Falco for using your song text).
And where are we? Right in the hear of Europe, surrounded by some of the greatest countries on earth, who we are also friendly with and who are our friends. That's where Austria is.:applause: And even that i have left some 40 years ago, i still call it my home country and are damn proud of it. Not less then of my adopted second country, where i work and live now since 20 :applause:years, Russia.

Benedikt
06-07-2010, 17:59
but the name was not popular either. so the powers to be and a good *(?) PR agency thought, well we also use the catchy AMERICAN NAME with the russian translation and everyone will love it. far from it. these national days one can not create. if the people don't feel that there is something to celebrate, it will be just a day off, get drunk, a day less to work and that's it.National days a government can not impose. it has to come from the people. Which is not the case in Russia, where most days are imposed by the Kremlin and off you go and celebrate.
By the way on that day RUSSIA celebrates her independence from SOVIET law. Which indeed very people know or care to worry about.

FlakeySnowballer
06-07-2010, 21:17
Benedikt who have you moved from Austria?

FlakeySnowballer
06-07-2010, 22:19
Why not who:devil:

tvadim133
06-07-2010, 22:44
but the name was not popular either. so the powers to be and a good *(?) PR agency thought, well we also use the catchy AMERICAN NAME with the russian translation and everyone will love it. far from it. these national days one can not create. if the people don't feel that there is something to celebrate, it will be just a day off, get drunk, a day less to work and that's it.National days a government can not impose. it has to come from the people. Which is not the case in Russia, where most days are imposed by the Kremlin and off you go and celebrate.
By the way on that day RUSSIA celebrates her independence from SOVIET law. Which indeed very people know or care to worry about.

I do remember that the 12 of June was "created" a celebration in opposition to all other independence days in other former soviet republics. :)

Btw, it becomes more and more popular from 2008, as I guess, due to "propaganda" (promoting, "Marketing Campaign"), which is good for the modern history of Russia indeed in this case.

At least it is good, there is a national day of the country.

Recently They created "the day of people's union" (the 4 of November) and thus we have another national holliday which is common with the 12 of June.

Though the 4th of November was smth instead of the 7 of November (the day of Soviet Revolution).

And for me it is quite rediculouse to celebrate our victory against poles in th 17th century, Why not to celebrate our victory against Napoleon together with Austrians in 1814.

The day of Poltavskaya battle (against Sweden) was more than important for Russia as well, I would offer to celebrate in on the national level (with a bank holliday),

Oh, I have forgotten Chesmenskay sea battle in the war against Turkey in the 18th century......

Bels
06-07-2010, 22:45
Hopefully you now the the meaning of 4th of July. Because I have discovered that the youth of Russia haven't got a clue. Newyork, York ,London? What's the difference they say. They are all from the same country. English or American? What's the difference? Don't these kids learn geography or History at school ? For goodness sake, they are about thirteen!!!

Why not who:devil:

tvadim133
06-07-2010, 22:50
Hopefully you now the the meaning of 4th of July. Because I have discovered that the youth of Russia haven't got a clue. Newyork, York ,London? What's the difference they say. They are all from the same country. English or American? What's the difference? Don't these kids learn geography or History at school ? For goodness sake, they are about thirteen!!!

Oh, no! Don't believe you!

Probably there are some like Flakey, and for kids (even of 17 y.o.) the difference between York and New York is not cleared indeed.

But as for other things....

Well, it came to my mind, that those who missed some lessons of the history can take the 4th of July for the day of Bastille in France indeed..... :)

btw, are these kids your own children?

Bels
06-07-2010, 22:53
The point is that you don't have an independance day. Unless it has something to do with the revolt from students against socialism in the late 90s. Independance from Socialism you might call a victory. Problem is that most ordinary don't feel any better, when they wanted change and more wealth to more people. Not just wealth to a handfull of lucky oligarchs. They wanted freedom to make wealth for many. And that didn't happen.

I do remember that the 12 of June was "created" a celebration in opposition to all other independence days in other former soviet republics. :)

Btw, it becomes more and more popular from 2008, as I guess, due to "propaganda" (promoting, "Marketing Campaign"), which is good for the modern history of Russia indeed in this case.

At least it is good, there is a national day of the country.

Recently They created "the day of people's union" (the 4 of November) and thus we have another national holliday which is common with the 12 of June.

Though the 4th of November was smth instead of the 7 of November (the day of Soviet Revolution).

And for me it is quite rediculouse to celebrate our victory against poles in th 17th century, Why not to celebrate our victory against Napoleon together with Austrians in 1814.

The day of Poltavskaya battle (against Sweden) was more than important for Russia as well, I would offer to celebrate in on the national level (with a bank holliday),

Oh, I have forgotten Chesmenskay sea battle in the war against Turkey in the 18th century......

FlakeySnowballer
06-07-2010, 23:06

Regarding me i know the difference between London New-York English and American although i didn't study geography in a high school instead of this subject i studied economics. As for russian independence day i don't see the sense of celebrating this holiday and i don't know history of this day and to tell the truth i don't care about.

FlakeySnowballer
06-07-2010, 23:10
Oh, no! Don't believe you!

Probably there are some like Flakey, and for kids (even of 17 y.o.) the difference between York and New York is not cleared indeed.

But as for other things....

Well, it came to my mind, that those who missed some lessons of the history can take the 4th of July for the day of Bastille in France indeed..... :)

btw, are these kids your own children?

BTW do you know the difference between an architrave and a cornice
or between a theodolite and a level?:fridaysign:

Matt24
06-07-2010, 23:20

Yes,I do, is there a prize?

FlakeySnowballer
06-07-2010, 23:31
Yes,I do, is there a prize?

)) I asked TVadim because he thinks that an intelligent person must know history very well, not only history i suppose, to his mind. BTW i know a girl she has PHD by chemical science and she cooks an omelet in the teapot

tvadim133
06-07-2010, 23:45
I do, but I did not study it at school (basic things are studied at school and specific things connected with profession are studied in universities indeed).

Just in case, architecture was a part of the world culture course I had in the university.

I can even differentiate barocco style, modern and classic.

Besides, I can even understand if the columns are of Corinthian or not.....

But "the 4th of July" was studied at school.... :)

tvadim133
06-07-2010, 23:49
)) BTW i know a girl she has PHD by chemical science and she cooks an omelet in the teapot

An Interesting option!

an Electric teapot or usual?

NotMe
07-07-2010, 00:11
)) I asked TVadim because he thinks that an intelligent person must know history very well, not only history i suppose, to his mind. BTW i know a girl she has PHD by chemical science and she cooks an omelet in the teapot

Is there anything wrong with it?:eh:

NotMe
07-07-2010, 00:48
BTW, Flakey! I suppose that girl who can cook an omelet in the teapot can be considered as a very experience cooker!;)
Any beginner is able to cook an omelete in frying pan! :D
Probably she will be kind enough to give me a couple of lessons?
I am old, fat and ugly. So, to become a good cooker is my only chance to attract some man!;)

nbogaard
07-07-2010, 07:44

I don't know the difference. Will you tell me?

FlakeySnowballer
07-07-2010, 10:29
An Interesting option!

an Electric teapot or usual?

An usual teapot, not an electric

FlakeySnowballer
07-07-2010, 10:44
I don't know the difference. Will you tell me?

Angles is measured with a theodolite and altitudes is measured with a level
An architrave is a beam that rests on the capital of the column
An cornice is a upper part of an entablature which located above the frieze

nbogaard
07-07-2010, 11:35
Angles is measured with a theodolite and altitudes is measured with a level
An architrave is a beam that rests on the capital of the column
An cornice is a upper part of an entablature which located above the frieze

I think a theodolite is called a "transit" in American English. Perhaps the same in UK but I don't know. Is an architrave the same as a lintel?

FlakeySnowballer
07-07-2010, 12:42
I think a theodolite is called a "transit" in American English. Perhaps the same in UK but I don't know. Is an architrave the same as a lintel?

Maybe but i don't know too. Regarding an architrave as i remember it is a part of an greek order system and this name was given by them and as i know they didn't use the word "lintel", as in russian and english architrave is the same word.

Carbo
07-07-2010, 13:00
Whatever said. What a great history for Britain and its empire. And yes a big mistake that Britain couldn't control America when it was smaller. There were obviously traitors including settled Brits, French.Dutch, Spanish, Germans who let them down jointly. There is no doubt that this was a planned united venture before the Brits attacked to enfoce and protect their American empire. And yes a big mistake. However Britain continued to increase their empire elsewher, with countres such as Australia and South Africa, even with the interruption of the Napoleon war, where both Wellington and Nelson defeated Napoleon. The end of the British empire came with the !st and 2nd world wars. What a major distraction that was. So we can blame the Natzis and the Japanese at the the same time for the loss of the British empire. Believe me. Britain didn't want such distruction. Although they won, it was at great cost.

Can I just ask, what the fcuk are you going on about?

FlakeySnowballer
07-07-2010, 13:17

He means that if USA were a part of Britain it would be better for a hole world, at least in this case we would not know the words 'f@ck and sh!t"

Matt24
07-07-2010, 13:21

Heh heh, going out on a limb here, but I think I know the answer, the American use of the word 'Transit' describes a piece of equipment we would call a builders level on the other side of the pond, in the UK in construction services we have a surveyors tool called a transit theodolite, which is like a 'theodolite-lite', you can often see them at roadsides, pointing at a guy at the other side with an orange and white stick - yer actual theodolite, is a big lumpy piece of machinery, often on a huge tripod thing, that's very heavy and very hard to steal, unless you're in Peterborough in 1991, with the Rugby 3rds searching for a public toilet, (BTW if you lost one in Peterborough in 1991 it's in Mad Mike Marsh's garage in Guildford).

An Architrave is a lintel, in British English - the difference is that a Lintel is usually buried in the wall or behind the plaster, but if it is obvious, and or decorated it becomes an 'architrave'...I think, however an admission my knowledge of lintels and architraves is gleaned from daytime TV makeover shows and is not as reliable as the British/American construction industry translations which I got from getting all the wrong stuff from the plant hire shop when we built a Patio at our house in Palo Alto.

Back to the test tubes

Matt

FlakeySnowballer
07-07-2010, 13:36
Indeed this tripod is quite easy, when i studied at first university i carried it by myself many times

nbogaard
07-07-2010, 13:50
Indeed this tripod is quite easy, when i studied at first university i carried it by myself many times

The new, I guess not so new anymore, laser transits are not heavy, as I recall. I thought the thing for measuring angles was called a "protractor."

Matt24
07-07-2010, 16:22
The new, I guess not so new anymore, laser transits are not heavy, as I recall. I thought the thing for measuring angles was called a "protractor."

Marvellous I know this one, a protractor is a device for measuring the angles in a single flat plain, two adjoining lines drawn on a piece of paper for example, or indeed several lines adjoining variously, a transit-theodalite, (in British English), is a device that enables the user to extend the piece of paper into the virtual world by drawing virtual optical lines in space, the measuring device in a transit-theodalite is a circular protractor, a theodolite (not to be confused with a transit-theodolite) is way more funky, in that it measures angles in two plains simultaneously, the vertical and the horizontal and at it's heart isn't a protractor...it's kind of a three dimensional output which includes co-ordinates and height from a fixed point.

in British english a transit - gives you the relationship between two surfaces, so the top of your cupboard to the floor for example.

cheers

Frustrated carpenter I am

MickeyTong
07-07-2010, 17:20

Your confusion stems from your primary error of assuming that there is actually a meaning to the configuration of words which he presents to us. Just because he puts several words adjacent to each other and has sentences that follow previous sentences does not imply any internally coherent logic discernible by people who expect paragraphs to elucidate a point.

MickeyTong
07-07-2010, 17:24
Marvellous I know this one, a protractor is a device for measuring the angles in a single flat plain, two adjoining lines drawn on a piece of paper for example, or indeed several lines adjoining variously, a transit-theodalite, (in British English), is a device that enables the user to extend the piece of paper into the virtual world by drawing virtual optical lines in space, the measuring device in a transit-theodalite is a circular protractor, a theodolite (not to be confused with a transit-theodolite) is way more funky, in that it measures angles in two plains simultaneously, the vertical and the horizontal and at it's heart isn't a protractor...it's kind of a three dimensional output which includes co-ordinates and height from a fixed point.

In a previous post......didn't you mention going back to your test tubes?

Matt24
07-07-2010, 18:40
In a previous post......didn't you mention going back to your test tubes?

Bollocks, you're right.......I'll um......suspect you don't want to hear about my other stunningly interesting mechanical adventures then...yeah sorry.

Jack17
07-07-2010, 21:33
Carbo & Mickey, you two should relinquish your British passports. I understand exactly what Bels is saying; he's expressing the true British sentiment about Americans, describing those followers of Washington as "traitors." He's clear as a bell. And there's a good basis for his claim; you know, only 30% of colonists supported the American Revolution: the very rich and the very poor - my ancestors being among the latter as poor indentured servants from Yorkshire. The remaining 70% were either neutral or loyal to the Crown. As for the following 200 years, well, all I can say is that colonies are like kids, they grow up and eventually move out.

Carbo
07-07-2010, 22:32
Carbo & Mickey, you two should relinquish your British passports. I understand exactly what Bels is saying; he's expressing the true British sentiment about Americans, describing those followers of Washington as "traitors." He's clear as a bell. And there's a good basis for his claim; you know, only 30% of colonists supported the American Revolution: the very rich and the very poor - my ancestors being among the latter as poor indentured servants from Yorkshire. The remaining 70% were either neutral or loyal to the Crown. As for the following 200 years, well, all I can say is that colonies are like kids, they grow up and eventually move out.
Relinquish my British passport? Never! I genuinely believe that a man born British has won first place in the lottery of life.

I also, as you and I have discussed before, believe that while the very principle of empire is wrong, there is a strong intellectual defence of empire, and that the British Empire was better than any other.

Further, Britain has, in my view, an unrivalled history and added more to humanity than any other nation.

But, hey, I can't bring myself to begrudge America, given how well it's turned out, and how noble were the ideals upon which it was founded.

Quite apart from that, I just didn't have a clue what Bels was on about.

Jack17
07-07-2010, 23:19
No argument from me with any of that; I'm only speaking up for Bels; who, I believe is expressing a widely held British sentiment that, by the way, is not entirely without merit.