PDA

View Full Version : Yota and VPN?

STFW1971
29-06-2010, 01:13
anyone got a solution for this issue?

keep getting error 721 when trying to connect.

tried to find out more, some forum had a 1 year old message on ther saying there is a bit of an issue with it.

Anyone up to date on this ? Highly appreciate

FatAndy
29-06-2010, 14:16
Check your VPN SW/HW for usage of ports filtered:
В целях защиты абонентских устройств от вирусной активности осуществляется фильтрация трафика пользователей Yota по следующим портам:

TCP, UDP 135: защита ОС Windows от уязвимостей в протоколе удаленного вызова процедур (RPC).
TCP, UDP 137-139: защита ОС Windows от уязвимостей в протоколах доступа к общим ресурсам (NetBIOS).
TCP 445: защита ОС Windows от уязвимостей в протоколах доступа к общим ресурсам (SMB).
TCP 25 — дополнительно для абонентов с внутренними адресами: предотвращение спам-активности (SMTP open relays).

http://www.yota.ru/en/faq/ - if you're at SPb, visit their office at Liteiny, 13.

ReallyGreatConcerts
29-06-2010, 20:16
I spent a month on the phone to Yota Technical Support about connect-failure issues. Then I just gave up on them.

mido008
09-07-2010, 16:19
Hi I think it is standard that it is not working smoothly, however I happy with Yota, I never manage to run VPN, to be honest never tried enough ;-)

nbogaard
09-07-2010, 16:28
Whe I am next going to change apartments, I am going to try to find a place near FatAndy. He has the answers to EVERYTHING!!! Thanks, Andy. You are always helpful.

drwho
09-07-2010, 17:11
I spent a month on the phone to Yota Technical Support about connect-failure issues. Then I just gave up on them.

YOTA have no IT support and have no IT engineers to visit customers.

You buy their box and take your chance. Dump it and get Stream. Like so many they set up, without thinking it through. Many of us have given up on YOTA. :bash:

mistygris
09-07-2010, 21:35
to be honest i wouldn't recommend yota. i bought it and when i was in my room it didn't work unless i put my pc outside the window or went to the other side of the hallway.

so it's up to you if you wanna take your chance with yota!

FatAndy
11-07-2010, 18:11
I can't speak for all of Yota users but those who have problems with:

1) coverage - should remember that it is radiowave technology and inside the city there are plenty of places where connection is weak/noisy/dead just because of physical laws. Every metal-beton building will be shielding, every powerful electrical motor (elevator, tram, trolleybus, even vacuum cleaner) will influence by noise etc. You can't abandon them, just try to move around and accomodate, until you get stable connection. Otherwise use wired connection as I do.
Another issue is bureaucracy/administration/organizational issues - there is a HUGE problems with permissions to install new access points (different building owners, different radiosensitive equipment around, sanitary restrictions on EM emissions etc.

2) side software (especially traffic scramblers, shapers, optimizers, firewalls, VPN etc.) - remember that nobody knows how it will interact with internet provider (Yota') routers, firewalls etc. Try to visit their client centers (addresses are on the link above) - there is non-zero probability that their tech guys can sort out the issue.

3) client service level - there is one nice Russian proverb - "Moscow wasn't built at once". I know these guys a bit, and can say that some things were underestimated when they were starting their business. But they're improving. If you have no time and need connection immediately - try another providers, maybe free or paid Beeline WiFi/wired, Stream, Akado, Onlime, Qwerty etc.

nbogaard, I'm living at Balaklavsky prospekt, m. Chertanovskaya. ;)

Aussie1973
12-07-2010, 14:07
to be honest i wouldn't recommend yota. i bought it and when i was in my room it didn't work unless i put my pc outside the window or went to the other side of the hallway.

so it's up to you if you wanna take your chance with yota!

Well I checked the map online first and bought myself a Yota 4G USB Modem when I saw my apartment was covered.

I had little choice. My stream account was reaching the astounding speed of 110kbps. Stream say the problem is old and poor telephone lines and no one is going to fix that in my building in a hurry.

So now I get 4.5 to 6.5Mbps anywhere in my apartment :hooray:

As for the customer service, the website might be in English but all the pages to open your account and sign up are in Russian only. I called Yota tech support and a nice guy who spoke English talked me through the whole thing, helping me get set up :hooray:

FatAndy
12-07-2010, 15:01
the problem is old and poor telephone lines and no one is going to fix that in my building in a hurry. - of course. But you can replace "macaroni" from your flat to the corridor phone box (plastic plate with 10 pairs of screws under metal cover) with shielded twisted pair cable. It is not a big business to do - just buy 20-30 m of cable, attach it to walls/ceiling/floor border, pass through doorbox, scrape and clean contacts on the ph.box, and ground the shield of cable on the metal of the box, but it can improve the situation (not obviously, of course).

I called Yota tech support and a nice guy who spoke English talked me through the whole thing, helping me get set up - that's what I mentioned - they're in the process of service improvements.