PDA

View Full Version : Caution! Ticks!

Ledka
28-04-2005, 10:39
Dear dog-lovers!
Please check carefully your pets every time after walking if they don't have ticks. It's a season of very dangerous ticks. And unfortunately your dog can catch it in the city.

My dog got one and is seriously ill now.

PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL!

Shatneresque
28-04-2005, 10:42
for the warning, Ledka. You really are a sweetheart! :)

veejay
28-04-2005, 10:53
i'm not sure, but i seem to recall that ticks here also carry Lyme's Disease. it's nasty, nasty. got bit by a tick a few years ago that was a carrier (this was in CT, USA, not here, but...), and i still have symptoms off and on...

keep those nasty buggers away from you, your pet and family!!

Moscow Wolf
28-04-2005, 12:23
Thank you, I have checked under my arms, down my spine and behind my ears plus the other usual hiding places. I seem to be ok and I'll keep using the Head & Shoulders!

Joking a part, I once walked two dogs in some huge forest many miles from Moscow. It was sunny and I decided to take a nap in a sunny spot. I woke an hour or so later and I had two tics that were in the process of burying their heads in my forearm. Not nice at all. Can't remember now how I got them off the dogs, salt or lighter fuel or similar. I didn't have any special lotions with me where I was.

Also, there are deer tics, quite prevalent in certain areas of the UK, you can just pick them up of the bushes as you walk through. They can make you very ill too. Can't remember the name of the illness either. (They say its the first thing to go - memory, where was I again!).

Ledka
29-04-2005, 10:01
Thank you, I have checked under my arms, down my spine and behind my ears plus the other usual hiding places. I seem to be ok and I'll keep using the Head & Shoulders!

Thank you for your humor Wolf. It does help us to survive. But unfortunately I can't smile at your joke when I see my dog dying. The problem is too serious to laugh about.
Sorry for the comparison, but my pet is as dear to me as if it were my kid. And it's awful to see how she suffers. The tick was found too late and her blood was already poisoned. She has toxoplasmosis and is struggling between life and death. She needs to be fed with liquid food through syringe as she can't eat herself. And we inject her very strong antidote. If she has luck to survive her liver and heart will be damaged.

So, please be very careful with your pets!

equalizer
29-04-2005, 10:23
have had dogs all my life and the dogs always get ticks in summer ,they never got sick and i actually let the ticks grow a bit so i could exctract them properly,methods used can be fingers with longish nails or tweezers or my favorite and the dogs a cigarette which is the most effective ,simply touch the tick on the balloning body until it simply drops out .painless and effective

Ledka
29-04-2005, 10:29
I had a dog before, he lived for 8 years and had ticks not once. Fortunately he survived it every time very successfully.
This dog is 7 years old, and it's not her first tick. But this one was too dangerous. I hope it will be not the last tick for her, but the chances are very few.
I guess there are differnt types of ticks, some of them cause death and you can catch them in Moscow.

equalizer
29-04-2005, 10:45
truthfully i feel it depends on what you feed your dog ,my dog gets a kilo of meat and 2 kg of boiled rice every day and hes very healthy ,if we do go for a walk i am always getting propositioned buy other dog owners for sex,not me personally but my dog ,regular washing and shampooing is also required ,ifind the best way is a quick wash and shampoo then a quick blast with the car wash preferably kracther the small yellow portable model this ensures hes totally tick free...........hope this helps

Ledka
29-04-2005, 10:54
Thanks! But my dog is in good shape! She took part in the exhibitions.
It's a chow-chow and needs lot of care and if she were not good looked after she would be bald and wouldn'r last for 7 years by now.
Her immune system is a bit weaker than by other breeds. And she doesn't need much to become sick.
But the vet said, that thanks to her good shape she might survive.

But still dog-keepers shouldn't neglect this problem, especially now when it's a high season for ticks

equalizer
29-04-2005, 11:07
another device i would recommened is the anti tick collar and i use the anti tick spray and shampoo available at pat-ponds pet shop,i would excpect your chow chow to last at least until 10 or 11,but as i said before dont feed them that crap from the tins its very bad for them its all the bits from leftovers humans dont eat,dont believe the adverts about quality ,smell it would you eat it ...................no ....for dogs fresh meat from the butcher for cats chicken or fish mixed with boiled rice...unfortunatley ledka i think you may be to late to change the diet now best just spend as much quality time with him or her as you can ,but next time feed your pet properly and you will see the differance,my dog craps on time, never has skin problems ,hes now 9years old weighs 60kgs and still outruns dogs half his age ,nice rotty,oh i must point out dont carwash wash a chow chow.

Jenchik
02-05-2005, 23:06
I really feel for you right now. My poor dog has had 'pereplasmos' from ticks THREE times in the last seven years. The first time was my fault - there was still snow on the ground and he picked up a tick in Moscow (Altufyevo) - I had sprayed him with 'Frontline' the previous season, but was unaware that ticks could be around as early as mid April - especially pre minus temperatures. The next time it happened (two years ago), he had been thoroughly doused with 'Frontline', and I checked him after every walk, but at least I knew the symptoms straightaway (orange coloured urine), lack of appetite and his eyes (pull back eyelids and see a slightly orangey colour), so I called the vet out straightaway and he was put on a drip for three days running. It happened again last summer, and when I told the vet that he had been sprayed every two weeks (although the advice on the bottle says every four weeks), the vet couldn't believe it. My dog is a Sheltie and he has suffered liver damage from his three bouts with 'pereplasmos'. I trust that your dog will recover and make sure that you give him/her a preparation called Essensiale Forte H, once per day for thirty days with food after he/she is on the mend. It's made by a company called Rhone Poulenc Rorer and will help boost liver function. You can get it at any chemist. Good Luck and I hope your dog feels better soon, it's so awful when they look at you with those 'help me get better eyes' . God Bless.

Jenchik
02-05-2005, 23:24
Just read the advice for removing ticks using fingernails and this is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. The best way to remover a tick is to pour sunflower/olive/ground nut oil on the tick site - the tick can't breathe and starts pulling its evil little head back in on itself. Then grasp the tick firmly and twist it slowly anticlockwise until it comes out from the skin - otherwise you risk leaving the tick's head in the skin, which can cause all sorts of nasty infections. Kill the writhing tick in the most sadistic way you can think of and then put antiseptic or a drop of vodka on the hole left by the tick.

equalizer
02-05-2005, 23:33
this may be the method in some gurus kitchen,but out in the field the best way to remove ticks as i stated before is a hot fag end to the body of the tick and he will drop out all by himself,including all eight legs.

Jenchik
02-05-2005, 23:42
Seems we were both wrong. Had a glance at loads of websites and this is their advice:
Grasp the mouthparts with tweezers as close as possible to the attachment (skin) site. Be careful not to squeeze, crush or puncture the body of the tick, which may contain infectious fluids. After removing the tick, thoroughly disinfect the bite site and wash hands. See or call a doctor if there are concerns about incomplete tick removal. Do not attempt to remove ticks by using petroleum jelly, lit cigarettes or other home remedies because these may actually increase the chance of contracting a tick-borne disease.

Mrs. Reboni
03-05-2005, 01:19
LEDKA - My thoughts with you and your Chow. I hope everything works out.

For those of you that use FRONTLINE, I know it's good, but I also know that you can only put so much on your pet, its bad to overdose. When you can't use something else a good idea to try is this: Take Pure Citronella Essential Oil (I don't know where you can get this in Moscow, maybe a herbal pharmacy?) and put up to 6 drops on your pets collar. Smells strong but its reputed to keep fleas and ticks away.

I will find the original recipe and post it tomorrow.

See you then.

Ledka
03-05-2005, 09:45
My dog died on Saturday....

Moscow Wolf
04-05-2005, 19:16
Very sorry too hear that Ledka. I know how you must be feeling. I didn't say earlier as I didn't want to distress you anymore than you already were however, I lost my Central Turmenistan Sheepdog (Alibi) a few years back at the summerhouse to the same condition. It was just too late when we found out and although he was taken to a Moscow Vet and put on saline drips for 24 hours, he just didn't make it. I felt like I'd lost a very good friend and a close member of the family.

Ledka
04-05-2005, 19:27
Thank you for the kind and supportive words Wolfie!

I won't take pets any more. Their lives are short as a rule and they become members of the family. And to loose them is a real tragedy. :(

equalizer
04-05-2005, 20:47
Thank you for the kind and supportive words Wolfie!

I won't take pets any more. Their lives are short as a rule and they become members of the family. And to loose them is a real tragedy. :(

sorry to hear of the loss ,i really hate when something or someone passes away but in the event of dogs i always feel a new one brings back some feeling of joy rather than no noise ,if the life span is an issue buy a tortoise or a parrot ,really geta macaw they last for ages and are good companions.
another thing 7is not a bad age....7 time s7 in doggy years 49 not bad .....considering they are not the most active of dogs.
anyway once again sorry

Ledka
04-05-2005, 20:50
thank you, equalizer!

Jenchik
04-05-2005, 23:24
Ledka,
How very sad - I'm so sorry - it sounds like you did everything you could to save her. My mother's dog died in 1993 and she still gets upset when she talks about him. He was 12 and she says she'll never have another dog as she couldn't stand the pain when they inevitably pass away. I think she was less upset when my grandad died !

Redletter
05-05-2005, 01:42
My dog died 12 years ago, she was 21, I miss her and I love our puppy, but she was the best. This is real grief and we may feel it more than for many humans. I am thinking of you, al the best,
R

equalizer
05-05-2005, 14:34
My dog died 12 years ago, she was 21, I miss her and I love our puppy, but she was the best. This is real grief and we may feel it more than for many humans. I am thinking of you, al the best,
R
what kind of dog ,the oldest dogs usually live to is 13 o14 thats the eq to 80 or 90 in human years

Ledka
05-05-2005, 14:42
Thank you all for your support.
My dog was very clever and very well trained, despite it was a Chow-Chow. She was a real friend and the most loved member of the whole family.

If you have a dog, I want to warn you once again that it's a season of ticks now. And the vet said that "city" ticks are more dangerous than the "forest" ones, as they are more poisoned.

Lled
06-05-2005, 11:13
Ledka

Good luck, I'm hoping for the best.

I have a dog too.

Ledka
06-05-2005, 11:30
Thank you, lled!
But there are no more hopes...

Lled
06-05-2005, 11:45
Thank you, lled!
But there are no more hopes...

Sorry

:(

Moscow Wolf
06-05-2005, 12:10
what kind of dog ,the oldest dogs usually live to is 13 o14 thats the eq to 80 or 90 in human years

Perhaps it was an OLD English Sheepdog. wink.

Moscow Wolf
06-05-2005, 12:14
Ledka,
I think she was less upset when my grandad died !

LOL, mine used to have fleas and pee all over the house. My Grandmother had him put down in the end. Poor old Grandad!

Sorry Ledka, not trying to get a rise from your obvious distress, but it's my English mentality to try to get a smile out of even the worst situations.