PDA

View Full Version : gold smith wanted

Benedikt
27-04-2005, 20:03
who knows of a goldsmith who can re-plate (GOLD) the back of my watch ( AN ANTIQUE RAIMUND WEIL),
PLEASE NOT THE USUAL
'WATCH REPAIR' OR
'JEWELLER REPAIR '
DOES NOT DO SUCH A THING.
they actually recommended, since the watch is old, send it back to switzerland and have it done there...
also the raimund weil agent in moscow (consul) can not help.

equalizer
27-04-2005, 20:30
the only place i would recommened is the watch shop in smolensky as you walk in ,rolex dealer and others they also sell other famous brands and they serviced my watch and it came back aftr 7 days perfect and intact.

M-C
27-04-2005, 21:16
Oh! A shame I didn't hear about this earlier Benedikt, I just got back from CH! If you're interested I'll be there in June again........

Halyavshik
28-04-2005, 10:16
While Raymond Weil is no Rolex, IWC, Patek or Jaeger LeCoultre, if you have a nice watch and you really need to perform dial/back/body work on it, you really SHOULD send it back to the factory. Third-party work can destroy the value, be sub-standard, void guarantee (I doubt Weil has lifetime guarantees, but whatever), or in worse case scenarios, damage the watch itself. A mechanical automatic should be serviced at the factory every three to five years anyway.

Living in Russia, this is kind of problematic what with customs and mail, etc. I'd wait and find someone who's going to Switzerland or find a good friend who won't mind DHL-ing or FedEx-ing from outside of Europe.

If you do DHL or Fed-ex it, make sure that you insure it for the full value.

All that having been said, if you still want to do it here and and consider the above non-applicable to your situation, then I'd contact two places:

1. The Omega store on Tverskaya near Mayakovka and next to the new Pizza Hut place (not the one in the Tchaikovskaya concert hall, but the one on Tverskaya). This palce services a LOT of Swiss watches in the low to middle price range. If they can't replate themselves, then they probably know whether there is a place you can do it or not.

2. The Mercury company. They're the company that acts as distributor for several of the high-end watches (like Rolex, as someone mentioned above). They should be able to tell you where to have this done as well, but be prepared to hear them say you should probably send it back to the factory.

Hope that helps,
Hal

Shatneresque
28-04-2005, 10:23
Benedikt,

There is a quite good jeweler/goldsmith working out of one of those little antique shops on Staryi Arbat (about halfway down, on your left, as you're walking toward the Garden Ring). He's fixed some of my daughter's jewelery for me, and might be able to do gold plating for you.

I used to have his card, but unfortunately don't any more ... the place is not all that difficult to find, though.

JTK

Benedikt
28-04-2005, 16:52
thanks a lot, i will go and check it out, and see what he can do for me..