PDA

View Full Version : First Moscow Impressions...

mariya
25-06-2010, 15:27
Back to Russia again....
I haven't been here for the last 7 months only, but all these traditional artifacts of the Moscow reality, including huge traffic jams, melancholy faces around, pretty Russian girls in unbelievably short skirts, pink summer sunsets, caddish waiters and severe babushki in the underground, are so new for me. As I'm Russian the psychological acclimatization happens easier....And what's about you, dear expats? What were your first impressions and challenges in Russia?
The level of my tolerance goes to infinity)))), but I hardly kept balance and calmness of the mind in the Sheremetevo airport having spent 2 extra hours there.
I was totally searched for drugs in the airport and had an explanatory debate about drugs, yoga&spirituality with airport cops...Almost enjoyed this experience)
Masha

Willy
25-06-2010, 15:36
Back to Russia again....
I haven't been here for the last 7 months only, but all these traditional artifacts of the Moscow reality, including huge traffic jams, melancholy faces around, pretty Russian girls in unbelievably short skirts, pink summer sunsets, caddish waiters and severe babushki in the underground, are so new for me. As I'm Russian the psychological acclimatization happens easier....And what's about you, dear expats? What were your first impressions and challenges in Russia?
The level of my tolerance goes to infinity)))), but I hardly kept balance and calmness of the mind in the Sheremetevo airport having spent 2 extra hours there.
I was totally searched for drugs in the airport and had an explanatory debate about drugs, yoga&spirituality with airport cops...Almost enjoyed this experience)
Masha

What do you mean, "totally searched"?

Your not a Valley Girl are you?

Like totally,

YouTube- Frank Zappa - Valley Girl
YouTube- Frank Zappa - Valley Girl Documentary (The Dub Room Special)

farsideofthelune
25-06-2010, 15:39
Back to Russia again....

I felt fine when I first came here a coupla years ago. Since then it became less and less tolerable, so I'm constantly looking at the sky.

Masha

You must have a masochistic side. Are you single?

tasel
25-06-2010, 15:40
Hi Mariya, welcome. You say back to Russia again, where were you before ?

mariya
25-06-2010, 17:34
:watching:

mariya
25-06-2010, 17:35
Hi Mariya, welcome. You say back to Russia again, where were you before ?

India

mariya
25-06-2010, 17:39
I felt fine when I first came here a coupla years ago. Since then it became less and less tolerable, so I'm constantly looking at the sky.

What are you looking for there or just observing the sunsets& sunrises?)

The most enjoyable part of tat experience was a discussion. It's lovely to know about spiritual life of Russian policemen)
I think all people who are staying in Russia are a little bit masochistic otherwise I can't understand the reason they're doing here)

Ian G
25-06-2010, 18:02
Hello Mariya- and welcome to the forum.
I came to Moscow in the middle of winter and the first thing that shocked me was the greyness of everything (even though I was kind of expecting it). That, and the small rooms in Moscow flats.

Interesting to hear about your conversation about spirituality and drugs with a Russian policeman. A rather surreal picture.

bob
25-06-2010, 18:09
India

Hope you enjoyed your stay in India. I am from India, now in Moscow for the last couple of months.

MickeyTong
25-06-2010, 18:18
India

So......where did you hide the Manali fingers?

mariya
25-06-2010, 20:08
So......where did you hide the Manali fingers?

I knew I wouldn't be able to vanquish the temptation, thta's why I rejected all the offerings to go to Manali)

mariya
25-06-2010, 20:09
Hope you enjoyed your stay in India. I am from India, now in Moscow for the last couple of months.

Which part of India are You from? What r u doing here?

Mirka
26-06-2010, 10:46
I came to Moscow in the middle of winter and the first thing that shocked me was the greyness of everything (even though I was kind of expecting it). That, and the small rooms in Moscow flats.

And you were lucky this winter cos we had a lot of SUN. Two previous winters were really GREY. I am telling you every two weeks I had to get out of Moscow cos I thought I'll go nuts :)

I was really lucky with apartments. I am in the second location since I am in Moscow and I always was lucky I guess to have quite comfortable space. But yes rooms can be small.

Mud
27-06-2010, 01:52
Hello mariya and welcome to the Expat.ru forums!

I can't help but wonder if your name has something to do with having been searched.

You've started a great thread! Good job!

I hope that you enjoy the site and this community!

All the best!
Mud :)

IvaKs
27-06-2010, 13:18

haha)

mariya
28-06-2010, 21:39
Hei everybody!
Thanks for your hospitality& responses)))))))))))))))

And I'm keeping on sharing my first Moscow impressions& experiences....

Sunday night. 11 pm. Red Square. Unbelievable moon.
The last night of my Irish friend in Moscow and the first 24 hours in Russia of my American friend. Nice party...
We r seating on the pavement in the middle of the the Red Square...Some guys are drinking whiskey, we're playing frisbie...
Suddenly a very nervous and gloomy man comes up to us. He is constantly looking about and talks through clenched teeth. He shows his FSB ID introducing himself and orders to stop playing here as it's forbidden to do any sport activity in the heart of the Russian capital under the President's windows))) My American friend who knows nothing about FSB (actually he knows almost nothing about Russia) is wondering: Where r u from? FSB? What's the hell it? Facebook? Don't worry I'll add u as a friend...
FSB officer wants the discussion to be continued... but he can't - the language barrier. Apart from Russian cops guys from the secret service are scared of being looking ridiculous and uneducated. He repeats his order and leaves...Siberian guys come next. They finish our whiskey, teach us Russian slang and apart from the FSB guy do not want to leave at all in spite of language barrier...even when we make all the points clear that we would love to stay alone.

That night I learned a new expression: 'vsio v ognyah'. Literally 'everything is afire'. It means 'everything is cool'

And plying frisbie on the Red Square is unreal at night. A friend of mine made a cool video...

tvadim133
28-06-2010, 21:46
Really nice story.

He did not mention you were drinking?

farsideofthelune
30-06-2010, 18:21
The most enjoyable part of tat experience was a discussion. It's lovely to know about spiritual life of Russian policemen)
I think all people who are staying in Russia are a little bit masochistic otherwise I can't understand the reason they're doing here)

I pre-fer tra-vel-ling by train, but... I'll have to take a plane.... so I'm flight-spot-ting.