PDA

View Full Version : marriage registration in Russia - what is the process?

latetalks
24-06-2010, 18:19
Hello,

Just got married to a Russian girl in my home country. I was wondering if someone can help and explain what is the process for registration of that marriage in Russia?

Specifically, I understand that we need to present an apostiled marriage certificate, translated to Russian, but I am not 100% sure if the ORIGINAl has to be apostiled, or the TRANSLATION (or both?).

Also, where should we go next? In ZAGS of course they don't give any information over the phone...

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Larry Paradine
02-07-2010, 08:35
The certificate itself will have to be apostilled before it can be translated (if you use the translation services of the Russian Consulate in your home country; if you don't, be prepared for possible objections from ЗАГС). I know two people who've been in your position: one was also required to get the translation notarised in Russia, the other's translation was notarised at the Russian Consulate.

A brief word of caution: when you receive the translation, check it immediately for discrepancies between the Russian spelling of your name on the translation and on your visa! I've already posted in this forum about the bureaucratic imbroglio that can result if, for example, John Smith is Джон Смит on the visa and Джогн (that silent letter h can be a trap for unwary traanslators) Cмисс (final th often being rendered as a sibilant) on the translation.

dwandsv
06-07-2010, 21:10
The certificate itself will have to be apostilled before it can be translated (if you use the translation services of the Russian Consulate in your home country; if you don't, be prepared for possible objections from ЗАГС). I know two people who've been in your position: one was also required to get the translation notarised in Russia, the other's translation was notarised at the Russian Consulate.

A brief word of caution: when you receive the translation, check it immediately for discrepancies between the Russian spelling of your name on the translation and on your visa! I've already posted in this forum about the bureaucratic imbroglio that can result if, for example, John Smith is Джон Смит on the visa and Джогн (that silent letter h can be a trap for unwary traanslators) Cмисс (final th often being rendered as a sibilant) on the translation.

I just read your post and am wondering for what purpose an American man married to a Russian woman who came to America on a fiancee visa would you need or want the marriage recognized in Russia? Maybe for when we visit Russia or have an extended living in Russia situation?

alouette
06-07-2010, 21:30
The marriage is recognized in Russia. Russian signed the Hague's Convention. No need to go for another marriage procedure.

I just read your post and am wondering for what purpose an American man married to a Russian woman who came to America on a fiancee visa would you need or want the marriage recognized in Russia? Maybe for when we visit Russia or have an extended living in Russia situation?