PDA

View Full Version : Moldova

buck
25-04-2005, 23:28
I would like to travel by train to Moldova from Moscow this summer. If anyone out there has any advice & or experiences I would greatly appreciate your input. I just want to know if there is any real danger.

Pobman
26-04-2005, 09:37
My cousin travels from Moscow to Moldova every few months... the only advice he would give me though is "Fly" ....

However his view might be slightly askew as he did once have to take the train from Moscow to London... oh and got hauled off the train in White Russia for having no visa :)

marus
26-04-2005, 16:06
I also got hauled of a train at Brest in 1997, coming from Poland because I had no transit visa and was told to go back to Warsaw and get one, despite my pleas that the consul was closed until monday and it was a saturday afternoon and freezing cold etc!Trying to convince them that I was genuinely only passing through and that my best friends wife and son were at the station in Brest and could verify I was going on to Moscow etc. only made it worse!!Not only did the border police refuse to let me talk to them but also apparently called her a wh*** after they had put me back on the first international train to Poland!Not a nice regime at all -no wonder Condoliza Rice slagged-it off last week!

Pobman
26-04-2005, 16:34
My cousin was able to pay a 'special administration fee' of 100$ and allowed to carry on his journey .... lucky that ;)

marus
26-04-2005, 17:47
If they'd told me I could pay $20 or even $50 I would have been quite prepared to,but they didn't even offer........
The stupid thing was that I went several times from Russia to Belarus and back on subsequent visits without any hassle at all as border controls were abolished years ago between those two countries, but I wonder what they would have said if I had tried to cross into Poland again!!

Chubby Hubby
27-04-2005, 18:26
I wish Adamkus (Lithuania) and Putin would just split Belarus. There is no historical justification for its existence.

quincy
27-04-2005, 18:39
I also got hauled of a train at Brest in 1997, coming from Poland because I had no transit visa and was told to go back to Warsaw and get one, despite my pleas that the consul was closed until monday and it was a saturday afternoon and freezing cold etc!Trying to convince them that I was genuinely only passing through and that my best friends wife and son were at the station in Brest and could verify I was going on to Moscow etc. only made it worse!!Not only did the border police refuse to let me talk to them but also apparently called her a wh*** after they had put me back on the first international train to Poland!Not a nice regime at all -no wonder Condoliza Rice slagged-it off last week!

It probably all depends on the mood of the bureaucrat. The Belarus embassy in London is helpful and getting a Visa is easier (and quicker) than getting a Visa for Russia

marus
27-04-2005, 18:55
You are right-bureaucrats have their off-days, but the sight of a green-back, especially if it has 100 on it, usually does the trick and will probably bring a smile to their faces!On reflection,I spent more than that on 2 nights hotel and meals back in Warsaw that I hadn't reckoned for,plus the loss of 1 night I had pre-paid in Moscow-and my girlfriend there was in a foul mood because I hadn't arrived when she was expecting me,which was my loss in other ways too as her'bad time' had just started and I was only there for 3 days!!

equalizer
27-04-2005, 22:55
i have never understood why anyone would want to travel by train in eastern europe,except for a moldovian friend of mine whos only reason doing it is to get find a friend for the night ,he was so proud to tell me how he always travels first class and after dropping him off i thought ok lets have a look ,well after the viewing i can confirm even if the other person shareing the berth was some super model on some sex enhanced hormone drug there is no way i would go....................fly

marus
28-04-2005, 11:25
Except for international trains and the Moscow /St.Petes express and the Trans-Siberian adventure, I would tend to agree with you as rail travel in Russia can be dangerous,as well as uncomfortable-not from a technical point of view,so much as the fact that robberies and attacks on passengers are unfortunately quite frequent,especially in open carriages.Foreigners travelling alone are obvious easy targets,so always go soft class 's.v.' if you can,especially if overnight travel is involved where there are only two berths in the compartment and even contemplate paying to keep the other berth empty!