PDA

View Full Version : Expat banking

Cali4nia
25-04-2005, 05:49
What banks do most expats use in Moscow? I am moving there in a month and don't want to keep get hit with frequent ATM and currency conversion fees with my wells fargo account.
Thanks

pengwn9
25-04-2005, 08:13
Expats generally avoid Russian banks like the plague. See if you can make some kind of deal with Wells Fargo? My American bank doesn't charge me offsite ATM fees or currency conversion fees. Keep your money in America.

Halyavshik
25-04-2005, 09:11
Many expats use banks here. Citibank, Raiffeisen, ABN Amro, etc. I dunno about currency conversion fees, but if you have an account with Citibank and you absolutely don't want to use a bank here, you can avoid the ATM fees if you use the Citibank ATM's.

equalizer
27-04-2005, 19:48
have used alfa bank for many years since 97 and have been never been ripped off ,trf to and from eu take 3 working days ,and the visa debit card is very good you can deposit money and the card is usually charged up within the hour .to trf costs are 0.5 of the sum .most of the western banks want all the dots crossed and all that crap ,these gauys keep it simple .

Chubby Hubby
28-04-2005, 12:00
Many expats use banks here. Citibank, Raiffeisen, ABN Amro, etc. I dunno about currency conversion fees, but if you have an account with Citibank and you absolutely don't want to use a bank here, you can avoid the ATM fees if you use the Citibank ATM's.

Citibank offers next to nothing in terms of returns (then again, every good Muslim knows that lending at interest violates sharia law ;-) ) but they are STABLE. A lot of banks defaulted in the 98 crash but Citibank was solid as a rock.

Lady Marmalade
28-04-2005, 12:03
Citibank is decent, but their ATM's are few and far between if you aren't close to the center, they will hit you with a user charge for using a bank machine that isn't theirs or in the the worst case scenario charge you a commission fee on what you take out, so be viligent in using their machines.

Halyavshik
28-04-2005, 12:10
Citibank offers next to nothing in terms of returns (then again, every good Muslim knows that lending at interest violates sharia law ;-) ) but they are STABLE. A lot of banks defaulted in the 98 crash but Citibank was solid as a rock.

I actually didn't think that Citibank was here before 98.

polly
28-04-2005, 12:52
i have wells fargo and depending on which atm i use, i get hit with non-wells atm fees ranging from $2-5 per transaction. plus, most atms here have a $200-$300 withdrawal limit *per transaction*. which means that if you have to take out more than 2-300, you'll have multiple non-wells atm fees hittin you up. which is annoying.

(but you're going to have non-[whateveryourbankis] atm fees no matter who you bank with. i just think $5 is a little extreme...)

veejay
28-04-2005, 12:56
my bank (formerly Fleet Bank of Boston, now Bank of America) charges me $5 per transaction, and the limit on withdrawls in a 24 hour period is $400. i think that you can request a higher withdrawal limit, but i haven't bothered checking to be honest. international wire transfers (for incoming paychecks, whatnot) also carry a service charge ($10 a pop)...and then there are the transaction fees from the various ATMs / cash points here...sigh...

Surok
28-04-2005, 12:56
and there's always the old fashioned folding stuff!

polly
28-04-2005, 13:05
[QUOTEi think that you can request a higher withdrawal limit, but i haven't bothered checking to be honest. ...[/QUOTE]

my personal withdrawal limit is much higher - it's the atms here that won't dish out more than 2-300 per transaction, not my bank.

but yes, sigh. banking fees are not much fun.

Lady Marmalade
28-04-2005, 13:55
I was able to pull out 71,000 rubles from Citibank on the same day, I had to take it out in 29,500 chunks or something like that, so it took 3 withdrawls, but there was no limit it seemed. Granted I'm using the Russian Citibank, not the American.

jl321
28-04-2005, 17:14
Banque Societe Generale Vostok.
Very happy with them.