PDA

View Full Version : The Deal with Water Heaters

Joe 6pack
22-04-2005, 17:49
With hot weather (supposedly) coming up, I'm anticipating my first hot water switchoff in Moscow & would like to know what's the deal with water heaters here:

1. Where do you buy them?

2. How much do they cost? Are some types/brands preferable?

3. Are they easy to install or do I need to hire a professional?

Thanks in advance.

Prokupchika
22-04-2005, 19:50
Also if anyone knows the website where you can find out when your street will switch off the hot water, can you please post it here so we know when to expect this barbaric act and can prepare ourselves accordingly..... :rules: :rules:

Kenzo
22-04-2005, 22:05
Maybe it will help you: xttp://wellbes.ru/well41.htm
but I think that they are not good at speaking English :rolleyes:

Pobman
25-04-2005, 16:16
Where to buy.... all over moscow. Had hundreds to pick from in "Tvoi Dom" the other day.. or almost any builders/trade market... as for brand, dont think it matters too much, you only use them 4 weeks a year so should last forever!

I prefer the units which heat the water as you use it, rather than heating up a tank ... about 10,000 roubles should cover it with ease for such a type, the tank ones were cheaper still.

M-C
25-04-2005, 20:56
This requires careful thought Joe! If you buy a tank it will eat up half your bathroom space (I might be exaggerating...), if you buy one of the heat-as-needed devices you'll need to make sure that it's a really powerful unit, especially if they cut off your water supply in May (which is what they usually do where we live...) as the water is errr, very cold at that time of year and an average heater usually can't do much to improve your morning shower. Make sure you switch everything off before you switch your powerful water heater on though, unless you are game for changing fuses when covered in suds....

M-C
25-04-2005, 20:58
Your REO should know when they plan their annual dastardly deed

ghost 6-3
25-04-2005, 21:22
I just take cold showers. It's refreshing. Take a run in the morning, and a cold shower when you get back. A strong cup of coffee, and off to work!

gino
25-04-2005, 22:05
Also if anyone knows the website where you can find out when your street will switch off the hot water, can you please post it here so we know when to expect this barbaric act and can prepare ourselves accordingly..... :rules: :rules:

I have a link to last year's schedule (it was on Vedmosti's website), but I haven't found one for this year. If anyone knows it, please post!

alterego
26-04-2005, 06:45
I put in an electric 'heat as you use it' one. Personally I think it is the way to go. It is a lot smaller and easier to install. Mine has three settings. High medium and low. No wait time for a tank to heat up so on those rare occasions when the hot water is off at other times during the year I still have instant hot water. Also on occassions my hot water just isn't that hot. No problem, I just turn the electric heater on low.

A few points. I recommend that you find a 7000 watt unit. Many a salesman will tell you that 5000 is the biggest that you can get for a residential apartment. Not true. Keep looking. You will not be happy with the volume of water that a 5000 watt unit can heat.
You will probably have to run a new cable to your electrical box. And you will probably have to do some maintenance in your electrical box. Soviet era circuit breakers are crap.
You can put these in anywhere, shower, kitchen sink, etc or plumb it into the whole house. I just put mine on the shower as it was the simplest installation and the shower is the only thing that I cannot do with out. If I have to wash dishes in hot water I do it in the tub.
Mine cost about $100 (Polaris model) and about $20 for the electrician who mounted and wired it. Maybe another $15 for for cable and circuit breakers.

Proper Bostonian
26-04-2005, 07:57
I'm also planning on getting one soon in anticipation of the no-hot-water season. I know all major electronics stores have them (MVideo, Mir, Technosila). You can even place your order online on any of those sites, though I agree a bit of in-person research is probably req'd. All of these companies also have installation service at a fee. Don't know what the fee for this is, but we've used MVideo's service before and they're very good & they guarantee their work. I believe the big brand here is Atmor. I'm considering their "Platinum" or "New Wave" models. Info re: 7,000 watts is helpful though I think both of the above are 5,000. Might reconsider.

uninformed
26-04-2005, 16:47
With hot weather (supposedly) coming up, I'm anticipating my first hot water switchoff in Moscow & would like to know what's the deal with water heaters here:

1. Where do you buy them?

2. How much do they cost? Are some types/brands preferable?

3. Are they easy to install or do I need to hire a professional?

Thanks in advance.
You can buy them many places for up to 500 rubles. I use mine to make tea! They work quickly and plug in to an ordinary outlet. Yes, you can do this as an amateur.