PDA

View Full Version : doggon it again

Shara
22-04-2005, 17:19
Those of you who've been here will remember me. I asked this question once before and the old computer folder was a great source but...

SO, yet again, I am having problems with my email and adobe and word. This happened before. Someone here kindly recommended spy sweeper. I got it, re installed the whole darn system then everything seemed fine. NOW, we're back to the same old problems again. My questions are 1 how can this be happening again when I got new virus soft not 3 months ago and constantly keep it updated. 2 what soft can I get that will kick this buttmunch virus/ hacker/ who knows what off my computer for good??

Thanks for any help!

Halyavshik
22-04-2005, 17:39
Those of you who've been here will remember me. I asked this question once before and the old computer folder was a great source but...

SO, yet again, I am having problems with my email and adobe and word. This happened before. Someone here kindly recommended spy sweeper. I got it, re installed the whole darn system then everything seemed fine. NOW, we're back to the same old problems again. My questions are 1 how can this be happening again when I got new virus soft not 3 months ago and constantly keep it updated. 2 what soft can I get that will kick this buttmunch virus/ hacker/ who knows what off my computer for good??

Thanks for any help!

If it's spyware, you're concerned about, I can comment that I use "WinPatrol". It sometimes has problems deleting the spyware programs, but it's always caught everything. And, if you're a bit familiar with RegEdit, you can see what WinPatrol's having a problem stopping and go in and find it in your registry yourself.

Shara
22-04-2005, 17:47
i had the winpatrol. it didn't seem to catch anything my computer got. guess i shoul dbe really honest...i am definetly a low tech kind of computer user. in other words, duh what is RegEdit?? i'm not that advanced :D

veejay
22-04-2005, 18:09
i had the winpatrol. it didn't seem to catch anything my computer got. guess i shoul dbe really honest...i am definetly a low tech kind of computer user. in other words, duh what is RegEdit?? i'm not that advanced :D
perhaps you should convince your company to invest in something like kaspersky?!

Shara
22-04-2005, 18:18
hmmm. to dream the impossible dream...:D

pm me and tell me how much it is. maybe i can be pretty face and IT person hehehehehehe.

(our only it person has been out 2 weeks with a really bad bug)

veejay
22-04-2005, 18:40
best to check the website...i have no bloody idea how much anything costs...

Shara
22-04-2005, 18:42
ok. will do.

peyote
22-04-2005, 18:44
shara,
a couple of recommendations...you don't seem to have problems with viruses but with spyware. it's a different thing and that's why they can enter your PC regardless of antivirus programs. spyware uses active-x components, heavily supported by internet explorer, do yourself a favor, try another browser (mozilla firefox, opera) and you will have automatically less problems.

even with that, you need to use an anti-spyware program. i'd recommend webroot spy sweeper (www.webroot.com). i've tried winpatrol and spy sweeper beats it anytime. that was my experience. having an anti-spyware also means you need, like with anti-virus programs, an updated list for spyware so the program can catch them. that's the key! updated list! and that explains why some spyware are caught whereas others are not.

finally, don't let the russians fool you, if you hear kaspersky is the best anti-virus program in the world consider it blatant patriotism (nothing to do with your comment, veejay ;) . here is a review putting anti-virus programs into perspective. kaspersky taking the last place on the hit parade.

http://www.alcatrazsecurity.net/antivirus-review.shtml

hope this helps.
peace
:bong:

ps: i can provide a cracked version of spy sweeper so you don't have to spend the money... if in the end you don't like it just uninstall and be happy ;)

veejay
22-04-2005, 18:48
ok. will do.

sorry that my post was not more informative...but the best thing is actually to look at the products online...there is an option to purchase online as well...as well as descriptions of what each one of those products does...

plus, i'm just tired and can't be bothered to be helpful, luv...! still love ya tho...!

Shara
22-04-2005, 19:23
yeah but I HAVE Spy Sweeper. It is not catching everything although I update it every day. Yes, I am a bit obsessed now. I don't understand why it messes with my word, adobe and outlook every time. Word, buttons disappeared and it gives me some crap about insufficient memory to ... Adobe flat out does not work. Can't even open it! Email, it crashes every time I try to click on a link in the email. This sucks. I'm so tired of this. hmmm...can computers fly??? I'm on the 17th floor. It would have time to learn before hitting the ground:D

peyote
22-04-2005, 19:41
oh shara, sorry. it seems you need help on site, not just recommendations here... your problems might be a combination of many things and not just spyware.

insufficient memory? you need to check the processes in your PC. do CTRL+ALT+ESC to bring up the task manager. click on the tab "Processes" and there click on "User Name" to rearrange processes by user so you can see clearer which processes belong to you, windows, the network (you on a network?) and if you see some suspicious names you can try deleting those processes. now here be VERY careful, before deleting any process check what they are here http://www.processlibrary.com/ so you don't delete windows-required processes.

you may have some useless program as a process loaded into RAM taking up your memory. probably they're set to start when your PC starts. you need to get rid of them by deleting from your "start" section in your registry. from a distance there's really not much i can do but i could write a step by step help for that matter... anyway, gotta go now. just don't mess with the registry yet. it can be very dangerous.

good luck.

boscoe
24-04-2005, 00:54
(our only it person has been out 2 weeks with a really bad bug)

Maybe it's a virus ;)