PDA

View Full Version : Offer to Practice English - I would like your thoughts?

Aussie1973
16-06-2010, 16:44
I'm thinking about offering my services as an English language assistant for a small fee (to make some pocket money for myself).

I could:
Help you with studies if you are studying English (homework etc)
Practice conversation
Teach lessons (I have no teaching experience but a lot of training experience)

The key is that I would be able to do this at any time during the day or early evening, in the centre of Moscow (convienient location), and I would not be doing it to make a living so I would be prepared to charge a very reasonable fee.

My questions to the forum are:

Do you think this is a reasonable idea?
Am I likely to find enough interested Russians to keep me occupied a few hours a day twice or three times a week?
What would our Russian readers consider a reasonable (read cheap) fee per hour for this kind of service?
Where should I look for students?

Feedback from everyone is welcome!
Interested English students welcome to me Private Message me.

:soccer:

xSnoofovich
16-06-2010, 22:17
yes !

Bels
16-06-2010, 22:53
You might well be into something. For me I have a fluent English wife of whom I need desparately to administrate for me. She is also highly qualifiefied in linguistics and teaching English. A very rare breed in Russia.

But! There are many private native English teachers who want to teach English privately, and who do do not have the russian language skills They don't have Russian wives acting as partners and admin, therefore they will need your services.

For teaching very young children from the age of three to ten as beginners I don't have a problem in teaching them English to English. But other teachers might. But most certainly you could help with being admin and for such private teachers, as the parent may well only speak Russian or have limited knowledge of the English language. You should be around to pacify parents that their young children will find it easy to learn English due to their age. You would be the manager and admin for the native English speaking teacher, so it might work out for both of you. Believe me!! Young children do learn English from a native speaker. It might be slow from the age of three, but by the age of five it move very fast. Progreesing to the age of ten your children should be fluent in English, ina ll skills including reading, writiing, speaking and listening. of course thwold include grammar, fluency. comprehension etc.

You also have the market of adults of who havelow level of English. You could have a very useful position in this area, because unfortunately the older you are, the more difficult it is to learn a language. Hence you could help a lot in this area.

But on thinking on marketing and demand from which I have been experiencing my advice is that place yourself as a useful admin person. A person who receives the enquiries for the native speaking teacher for teenagers and young children, as this seems the biggest market. Also for any beginner,as such advertising cannot be done in English, and must be done in Russian.

You are the the one who receives the enquiries in Russian from Russian parents who do not speak English, or student of whom are are of a low level of English. The biggest market in Russia , believe me.

I hope this help in your sense of direction. and Yes! You could be very useful.

The only other alternative for a native English speaking teacher is to find a close friend, girlfriend, or wife to help them do their business, if their Russian is weak.

Max77
17-06-2010, 09:26
750 rub/ per hour
how is that?

PS This is my idea of a "reasonable" price. I've never taken such lessons here in Russia before. My guess is based on some other private lessons I've taken and paid for here in Moscow (not English classes!). and I am not trying to become one of your students as well.

FlakeySnowballer
17-06-2010, 10:28
I'm thinking about offering my services as an English language assistant for a small fee (to make some pocket money for myself).

I could:
Help you with studies if you are studying English (homework etc)
Practice conversation
Teach lessons (I have no teaching experience but a lot of training experience)

The key is that I would be able to do this at any time during the day or early evening, in the centre of Moscow (convienient location), and I would not be doing it to make a living so I would be prepared to charge a very reasonable fee.

My questions to the forum are:

Do you think this is a reasonable idea?
Am I likely to find enough interested Russians to keep me occupied a few hours a day twice or three times a week?
What would our Russian readers consider a reasonable (read cheap) fee per hour for this kind of service?
Where should I look for students?

Feedback from everyone is welcome!
Interested English students welcome to me Private Message me.

:soccer:

Also you can do homework for students from technical universities in Moscow. When the exams time comes you will be very popular among these student, over and above you can do course work for them

Max77
17-06-2010, 12:54
...you will be very popular among these student...

Groovy, babe!
I'd pay to be popular among female students. no kidding!!
:10600:

Aussie1973
17-06-2010, 14:32
You might well be into something. For me I have a fluent English wife of whom I need desparately to administrate for me. She is also highly qualifiefied in linguistics and teaching English. A very rare breed in Russia.

But! There are many private native English teachers who want to teach English privately, and who do do not have the russian language skills They don't have Russian wives acting as partners and admin, therefore they will need your services.

For teaching very young children from the age of three to ten as beginners I don't have a problem in teaching them English to English. But other teachers might. But most certainly you could help with being admin and for such private teachers, as the parent may well only speak Russian or have limited knowledge of the English language. You should be around to pacify parents that their young children will find it easy to learn English due to their age. You would be the manager and admin for the native English speaking teacher, so it might work out for both of you. Believe me!! Young children do learn English from a native speaker. It might be slow from the age of three, but by the age of five it move very fast. Progreesing to the age of ten your children should be fluent in English, ina ll skills including reading, writiing, speaking and listening. of course thwold include grammar, fluency. comprehension etc.

You also have the market of adults of who havelow level of English. You could have a very useful position in this area, because unfortunately the older you are, the more difficult it is to learn a language. Hence you could help a lot in this area.

But on thinking on marketing and demand from which I have been experiencing my advice is that place yourself as a useful admin person. A person who receives the enquiries for the native speaking teacher for teenagers and young children, as this seems the biggest market. Also for any beginner,as such advertising cannot be done in English, and must be done in Russian.

You are the the one who receives the enquiries in Russian from Russian parents who do not speak English, or student of whom are are of a low level of English. The biggest market in Russia , believe me.

I hope this help in your sense of direction. and Yes! You could be very useful.

The only other alternative for a native English speaking teacher is to find a close friend, girlfriend, or wife to help them do their business, if their Russian is weak.

Wow, thanks for the detailed response! Perhaps my original post was not too clear? Unfortunately this was not what I had in mind as my Russian is very poor.

Perhaps a good Russian speaker needs to consider this idea though?

I was thinking more in terms of coaching, or assistance, rather than teaching. As Flakey says below I would certainly be prepared to assist with English homework assigments (I have no intention of completing them myself though!) and that sort of thing.

Just a thought.

Aussie1973
17-06-2010, 14:34
750 rub/ per hour
how is that?

PS This is my idea of a "reasonable" price. I've never taken such lessons here in Russia before. My guess is based on some other private lessons I've taken and paid for here in Moscow (not English classes!). and I am not trying to become one of your students as well.

I was thinking of less than that so maybe that is a good sign...

Ian G
17-06-2010, 14:46
Aussie 1973-
There is a big demand for conversational practice with native speakers,(many people have learn grammar from a Russian teacher but still don't feel confident in speaking) and if you make it clear from the beginning that you don't claim to be a qualified teacher you should have no problem at all finding students. I'm sure you'll find lots of people who have a long-term goal of moving to Australia for work or study, for example.

I wouldn't emphasise the fact that "I am not doing this for the money", though. Choose a market rate for the service (and it is a service,as the student will have a probably particular area of interest they want to practice talking about, whether it's the dairy industry, cabbage farming, anti-virus software or accounting, and this may not be your own preferred subject) and stick to it!

And then there's location. It's not easy to teach in a cafe- an office may be better, but this can be difficult to organize.

Oh, and I wouldn't go below the 750 ruble/ hour figure that Max suggests. Think of the professionals who are doing this a a job and don't want to see themselves priced out of the market. :sunny:

FlakeySnowballer
17-06-2010, 21:21
Groovy, babe!
I'd pay to be popular among female students. no kidding!!
:10600:

You know an anecdote:
There are two girls. First is beautiful second is from technical university ))

Aussie1973
19-06-2010, 23:51
Aussie 1973-
There is a big demand for conversational practice with native speakers,(many people have learn grammar from a Russian teacher but still don't feel confident in speaking) and if you make it clear from the beginning that you don't claim to be a qualified teacher you should have no problem at all finding students. I'm sure you'll find lots of people who have a long-term goal of moving to Australia for work or study, for example.

I wouldn't emphasise the fact that "I am not doing this for the money", though. Choose a market rate for the service (and it is a service,as the student will have a probably particular area of interest they want to practice talking about, whether it's the dairy industry, cabbage farming, anti-virus software or accounting, and this may not be your own preferred subject) and stick to it!

And then there's location. It's not easy to teach in a cafe- an office may be better, but this can be difficult to organize.

Oh, and I wouldn't go below the 750 ruble/ hour figure that Max suggests. Think of the professionals who are doing this a a job and don't want to see themselves priced out of the market. :sunny:

Hi Ian, thanks for the input.

I certainly dont want to be seen as trying to undercut anyone, but I would also not be offering the same type of professional service so I need to be competitive.

I would be willing to dicuss any topic, and yes I know a little about how Russian's might get to work or study in Australia too.

I like to think I am pretty good judge of character, and my apartment has reasonable security, so I was thinking of using it for a base after a first meeting at a cafe or something.

If this is something that I get more serious about, how would you suggest I look for interested Russians?

Cheers!

Bels
20-06-2010, 00:21
I give up. I was talking about teaching English properly. English to English, without Russian translation. And to be honest with you many Russian students are actually weak on English gramar, as the Russians make English grammar so complicated.

Now if you don't believe me that's your pr problem. The Russian do really have a big problem with their grammar and everything else taught by Russians, and really do need to change their methods of teaching. That is what I am experiencing, and I am even discovering that exams and tests given by Russians have serius errors in English. They really do need to sort themselves out.

There is only one way to learn English, and that is from a good native English teacher, It is the only , from the garbage I have experienced.

quincy
20-06-2010, 13:05
Now if you don't believe me that's your pr problem. The Russian do really have a big problem with their grammar and everything else taught by Russians, and really do need to change their methods of teaching. That is what I am experiencing, and I am even discovering that exams and tests given by Russians have serius errors in English. They really do need to sort themselves out.

i thought Russians were generally good at teaching grammar

jeffpv
02-07-2010, 03:39
i thought Russians were generally good at teaching grammar

They are. I have to respectfully disagree with Bels. I have met a good many people with quite good English skills who had never met a native speaker before.
There are also a great many excellent Russian teachers of English, who happen to have enviable English skills as well.
The being said, at a certain level I do think a native speaker is a valuable commodity for those English learners wanting to break into the advanced/proficiency levels. It is also true that there are a great many terrible Russian teachers of English as well; however, I've met more than my share of laughable native speaking "teachers" too.
Sorry this has gotten off-topic. :redcard: