PDA

View Full Version : Dating advice/help

AussieinMoscow
16-06-2010, 12:07
I have found myself in, what I feel, is a very unusual predicament.

I am a nanny for a Russian family, and they are worried that I am going to leave in September, which I'm thinking I will. So their solution to this, is to find me a "nice Russian man".
They keep setting me up on dates (they don't refer to them as dates as such, they say "Yura wants to walk in the park with you, he is a very nice Russian man, you will like him"). These walks in the park are so awkward, as I don't speak Russian, and so far only one of them has been able to speak any English. I have tried specifying that if I must meet a russian, could he please speak english, but I don't think these women think being able to speak to your partner is an important part of a relationship.

My problem is that I am to polite to decline there requests. I just don't know how to say no, so I need advice. How do I stop my Russian family from setting me up!?
:question:

tasel
16-06-2010, 12:17
Just say that you've found your soulmate. Problem solved :)

Fibre
16-06-2010, 12:21
What an obtrusive Russians. If you want to leave home you should tell them NO, if not- they`ll find you other candidates, and it will be constant process, or think up other cause to stay you in Russia

My problem is that I am to polite to decline there requests. I just don't know how to say no, so I need advice. How do I stop my Russian family from setting me up!?

Periwinkle
16-06-2010, 12:44
Just keep repeating, that it makes you uncomfortable to go on these 'walks' with people you cannot communicate with. Practice saying 'Sorry, but I do not want to' ,'Sorry, but I do not want to' over and over....
' Sorry, I have to wash my hair this afternoon',
'It is best we do not try to do this anymore.'
Try to aviod puting a thank you on the end - they may take it as appreciated. Sadly, I do not think polite murmors of dissent will work. Just keep repeating yourself.

NotMe
16-06-2010, 13:02
It looks like you ask for undating advice. ;)

yakspeare
16-06-2010, 13:12
say that you have fallen madly in love with an aussie in Krasnodar who you met on expat.ru
:idea:

:))))

Matt24
16-06-2010, 13:32

I am a nanny for a Russian family, and they are worried that I am going to leave in September, which I'm thinking I will. So their solution to this, is to find me a "nice Russian man".
They keep setting me up on dates (they don't refer to them as dates as such, they say "Yura wants to walk in the park with you, he is a very nice Russian man, you will like him"). These walks in the park are so awkward, as I don't speak Russian, and so far only one of them has been able to speak any English. I have tried specifying that if I must meet a russian, could he please speak english, but I don't think these women think being able to speak to your partner is an important part of a relationship.

The next time a prospective suitor is presented, approach manfully, grab his groin, broadcast your best 'thoughtful/reflective face' continuing grasp, (total grab time 1 - 1.5 seconds), release, present reflective/disappointed face to your employers, shrug, sigh and announce ' C'mon guys, surely I deserve better than that ' return to lounge/your room, do not talk to suitor - Game over! even if your employers are odd enough to invite further suitors, matey boy will have told all his mates, and they won't come......if you're not 100% confident that you've done enough a resounding 'Burp and Bum scratch' combo will seal the deal.

Matt

GaNozri
16-06-2010, 13:38
Tell them that you're a lesbian.

nbogaard
16-06-2010, 13:45
The next time a prospective suitor is presented, approach manfully, grab his groin, broadcast your best 'thoughtful/reflective face' continuing grasp, (total grab time 1 - 1.5 seconds), release, present reflective/disappointed face to your employers, shrug, sigh and announce ' C'mon guys, surely I deserve better than that ' return to lounge/your room, do not talk to suitor - Game over! even if your employers are odd enough to invite further suitors, matey boy will have told all his mates, and they won't come......if you're not 100% confident that you've done enough a resounding 'Burp and Bum scratch' combo will seal the deal.

Matt

Matt,

I believe you have found the solution to a great many vexing problems with this approach and you are correct; the family will never try again.

Matt24
16-06-2010, 13:50
Matt,

I believe you have found the solution to a great many vexing problems with this approach and you are correct; the family will never try again.

Thank you, today I'm wearing my 'helpful trousers'.

Kangaroo495
16-06-2010, 13:53
Funny!

Tell them you only date Oligarchs. Then, if they manage to find you one - who cares if he doesn't speak English?

nbogaard
16-06-2010, 14:12
If you want a sure-fire way to put a stop to it, take them into the staudy and tell them that you are indeed leaving but because you are smitten with the wife. If you don't want to finish out the summer, tell them you're smitten with the husband. In either case, they won't be fixing you up with anyone.

AussieinMoscow
16-06-2010, 14:38
Wow, you guys have some interesting ideas!
Unfortunately I can't use some.
I can't say I have a soul mate or I've found the love of my life, what if they ask him over for dinner? Plus I am a very bad liar.
Matt, I love your idea, unfortunately I'm not that bold (although I wish I was!).
GaNozri, if I said I was a lesbian, what if they started to set me up with women!? That would be even more awkward!
And nbogaard, I like your idea, and will potentially use it in future jobs if I'm unhappy with the family. But I think that could get me sent home rather soon and I'd like to stay here until September.

torrentstorm
16-06-2010, 17:49

Geezuz! Reading some of the posts to this thread makes me wonder about some of you guys. The lady here obviously is in a predicament, and if she is sincere, the last thing she needs is for us to make fun of her.

I remember when I was in there, that many times friends tried to set me up with ladies for a potential love interest and maybe more. Of course, a man alone is always of interest to some, but I had the same problem: Most of the dates were with ladies who could not speak English, or very few words, at the most. In time, I realized my best policy was to find my own dates, and that worked somewhat better.

But I had the same problem: how to decline politely without hurting their feelings. The solution that worked best for me was that I was not feeling well, and preferred to stay home and rest. On a parallel, perhaps AssieinMoscow could say she needs to go home because she is 'homesick', and the cold, long, winters are affecting her in any xxx way. Reasons similar to these always get their respect and they will not insist. Quite the contrary, they usually understand.

drwho
16-06-2010, 18:00

here are some ideas:

1 Say you are gay and only date South American dancers
2 Say you don't date Russian men
3 Say you have a boyfriend in jail and he will be released in September
4 If you are going to leave in Sept then just tell them that and be honest !!!
5 If you want a man date some on your own and you choose them yourself. Put an advert on here! who knows Matt may be free???
6 Meet these guys for fun and tell them you have been married before and your last 2 husbands died in "unusual" circumstances, they wont call you back

Good luck. The DR has spoken no charge. :12115:

some candidates below:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:fu80JjSrw2K8AM:http://georgepetrea.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/ugly-men.jpg

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ivyRPEsT4Z6wTM:http://enjoyhere.net/images/stories/ugly-men/ugly-men08.jpg

tvadim133
16-06-2010, 18:43
I like point 6 and the pix N2, they will work definetely.

AussieinMoscow
16-06-2010, 21:58
here are some ideas:

1 Say you are gay and only date South American dancers
2 Say you don't date Russian men
3 Say you have a boyfriend in jail and he will be released in September
4 If you are going to leave in Sept then just tell them that and be honest !!!
5 If you want a man date some on your own and you choose them yourself. Put an advert on here! who knows Matt may be free???
6 Meet these guys for fun and tell them you have been married before and your last 2 husbands died in "unusual" circumstances, they wont call you back

:Loco: hmm some very interesting idea's there!
I like one, one would be a good solution. Except before all the setting up started I was being asked about my ex boyfriend back in Australia. Actually that's when this all really started, they found out I was single, and came up with this idea!
I did try two, but the grandmother got a bit offended, so did our cook.
Three, I covered in one, they know about my ex.
Four, I'm not 100% if I'm going, but I have told them it's a strong possibility. I only want to leave because Russia is so bloody cold! This has only added to the urgency of finding me a "nice russian boy to keep you warm" (Thats a direct quote).
Five....So Matt.... are you busy?
Six is my favourite solution, I'll have to learn it in Russian, but I'm sure with a few key words, and a bit of charades, I'll get the message across :p

Honestly, they are more pushy then my Aussie family! I know they mean well (sort of) but is this normal russian behaviour?
Although I'm slightly flattered, in my effort to find the silver lining, I have come up with, meeting new friends and I must be a fabulous nanny!

Thanks for everyones ideas.... They have been helpful and entertaining!
:10806::10518:
And you never know, maybe the next one will turn out to be the love of my life :SwoonLoveSmiley:

davilan
16-06-2010, 22:33
Hi Ms Aussie in Moscow,

First of all why do you think they want to set you up so that you will stay past September? It's usual for married people to try and make other people miserable by getting them married. Otherwise they must think you are lonely and are genuinely trying to help you NOT be lonely.

Do you have activities-even seeing girlfriends so that you are not and most importantly don't look lonely? If not-get some. Spend your spare time out of the house.

Secondly, Most of the advice given here may work in Moscow, but it defiantly won't work in the part of Russia I'm in nor with any Russians I know. In fact grabbing some guys groin is more likely to produce a marriage proposal than have the couple leave you alone.

Going for a walk actually IS how a Russians describes going on a date. It can be an informal date such as going for a walk with your friends or formal going for walk with a set up boy but it doesn't actually have to mean-you are going for a walk-it means you will end up at some destination to do some activity. So you can go for a walk to the cafe with Vulva in his new BMW and never actually walk.

My suggestion would be: When the guy comes to pick you up-ask the wife to translate for you. Ask the guy if he speaks English through the wife. If he doesn't speak English then tell him through the wife's translation that you are very sorry but you must decline the date because you can not communicate and there must have been some misunderstanding and you apologize for the misunderstanding.

You can almost be sure the wife was in charge of setting you up on the date. It is YOUR problem you can't say no-that is the real problem here, not that you're getting set up, but that you can't say no-so maybe it will be much easier for you to say no indirectly to the boy. Eventually the woman will either find some English speakers or stop setting you up.

One of the most important words to learn for your very survival in Russia after the word piva is NYET. If you can't learn the word no you won't make it till September.

davilan
16-06-2010, 22:35
YouTube- worlds worst video dating service and Sasha Love.wmv

drwho
16-06-2010, 22:54
I like one, one would be a good solution. Except before all the setting up started I was being asked about my ex boyfriend back in Australia. Actually that's when this all really started, they found out I was single, and came up with this idea!
Four, I'm not 100% if I'm going, but I have told them it's a strong possibility. I only want to leave because Russia is so bloody cold! This has only added to the urgency of finding me a "nice russian boy to keep you warm" (Thats a direct quote).
Six is my favourite solution, I'll have to learn it in Russian, but I'm sure with a few key words, and a bit of charades, I'll get the message across :p

Honestly, they are more pushy then my Aussie family! I know they mean well (sort of) but is this normal russian behaviour?
Although I'm slightly flattered, in my effort to find the silver lining, I have come up with, meeting new friends and I must be a fabulous nanny!

And you never know, maybe the next one will turn out to be the love of my life :SwoonLoveSmiley:

5) I think Matt is married and thats not really his photo it comes from a movie but its hard to be sure which one it is as there are 2 or 3 "Matts" on here.

Good luck young lady. I loved Aussie I spent 6 months working on a sheep station when I was 22 many years ago, great beer, women and people!!

Can't you find a sexy nice rich Russian? I am sure they exist somewhere?!?

Matt24
16-06-2010, 23:04
:
:SwoonLoveSmiley:

Yeah sadly,( in the sense of not being able to assist in your moment of need) everso busy, but conversely everso gladly, (in the sense of being busy with the whole family thang). I'm sure the hurt of number six being your favourite will pass eventually, on the meantime I put in a good word for you with my assistant Stevo, he seems quite keen, he hasn't said anything yet but he's drooling freely.

Best of luck
Matt

AussieinMoscow
16-06-2010, 23:53
5) I think Matt is married and thats not really his photo it comes from a movie but its hard to be sure which one it is as there are 2 or 3 "Matts" on here.

Good luck young lady. I loved Aussie I spent 6 months working on a sheep station when I was 22 many years ago, great beer, women and people!!

Can't you find a sexy nice rich Russian? I am sure they exist somewhere?!?
Thanks drwho, I'm glad you like Oz! It is a rather fabulous place! A bit of a biased opinion, I know!

And if you happen to stumble across any sexy, nice and rich Russian men.... actually with that description, I'd take any nationality, please send them my way! :D :p

AussieinMoscow
17-06-2010, 00:02
Yeah sadly,( in the sense of not being able to assist in your moment of need) everso busy, but conversely everso gladly, (in the sense of being busy with the whole family thang). I'm sure the hurt of number six being your favourite will pass eventually, on the meantime I put in a good word for you with my assistant Stevo, he seems quite keen, he hasn't said anything yet but he's drooling freely.

Best of luck
Matt

Thanks anyway Matt :)
I'm not sure if I should be concerned about Stevo or not. :confused::question:
Just remember, time heals all wounds. If it means anything, you were a very close second favourite...

MickeyTong
17-06-2010, 00:08
So you can go for a walk to the cafe with Vulva in his new BMW and never actually walk.

I'm glad my name isn't Vulva: people might think I'm a bit of a

MickeyTong
17-06-2010, 00:09
I put in a good word for you with my assistant Stevo, he seems quite keen, he hasn't said anything yet but he's drooling freely.

Best of luck
Matt

Watch out! Stevo is a Kiwi......

AussieinMoscow
17-06-2010, 00:14
Watch out! Stevo is a Kiwi......

Bloody Kiwi's! :tongue:

Oh how I miss picking on them with other Aussies!

MickeyTong
17-06-2010, 00:30

G'day Sheila! All jokes aside, I appreciate you're in a "situation". You must feel very flattered that the family you work for really really really don't want you to leave: they are obviously highly impressed by what you do for them and their kids.

I have heard that a nanny's job is, if not 24/7, at least 18/6.5 - there really isn't much "me" time. Families don't understand that their highly valued and beloved nanny may actually feel just a smidgen isolated, cut off from her own people, missing out on her own life.

I don't know if you've had any holidays "back home" to take the edge off any homesickness (Oz is a long way from Moscow......), or if such a break is part of your contract.

Perhaps you could suggest to your employers that a month or two back home is what you need, and that you're not gagging for a bit of cockerel from Vulva....

is4fun
17-06-2010, 01:30

You are indeed. :) Don't worry about it. They are concerned about you. It's culture.. Even if they try to set you up with someone, if they feel you will not be happy they will not let it progress. Good for you!

GaNozri
17-06-2010, 03:35
Thanks drwho, I'm glad you like Oz! It is a rather fabulous place! A bit of a biased opinion, I know!

And if you happen to stumble across any sexy, nice and rich Russian men.... actually with that description, I'd take any nationality, please send them my way! :D :p

OK I'm a candidate

drwho
17-06-2010, 08:33
Thanks anyway Matt :)
I'm not sure if I should be concerned about Stevo or not. :confused::question:
Just remember, time heals all wounds. If it means anything, you were a very close second favourite...

Is this some online public "flirting" with our man of mystery "Matt" (there are 3 on here) are married men to be considered options for staying in the motherland Russia? Shame on you girl!! tut tut....:10189: who the uck is stevo?????

I'll keep my eye out for some hot single rich Russians. Do you have any preference for hair? shaved heads or with a full mop?

AussieinMoscow
17-06-2010, 09:21
Is this some online public "flirting" with our man of mystery "Matt" (there are 3 on here) are married men to be considered options for staying in the motherland Russia? Shame on you girl!! tut tut....:10189: who the uck is stevo?????

I didn't know Matt was married, (my expat stalking isn't as good as my facebook stalking) And the lines you quoted weren't flirting, that was just nice :)
And Stevo is Matts kiwi friend.... you know as much as I do now.

drwho
17-06-2010, 10:45
I didn't know Matt was married, (my expat stalking isn't as good as my facebook stalking) And the lines you quoted weren't flirting, that was just nice :)
And Stevo is Matts kiwi friend.... you know as much as I do now.

Stalk all you like. Many men would be happy to be stalked by a beautiful girl from Australia. :iloveyou: :shhhhhh:

Matt24
18-06-2010, 10:58
Stalk all you like. Many men would be happy to be stalked by a beautiful girl from Australia. :iloveyou: :shhhhhh:

In between the endless live football and replays, and the tummy rubbish about 'the ill whites could ictuarly go ill the wee', we've been discussing your post, Stevo is a lot less picky than you, the young lady needn't be beautiful or Australian in fact he'd be quite thrilled if a girl talked to him let alone stalked him, so Oz, he's broken out his best jersey - North Shore Trialist 1990 - applied lamisil and is working on a PM, (several days now).

AussieinMoscow
18-06-2010, 11:19
Stevo is a lot less picky than you, the young lady needn't be beautiful or Australian in fact he'd be quite thrilled if a girl talked to him let alone stalked him, so Oz, he's broken out his best jersey - North Shore Trialist 1990 - applied lamisil and is working on a PM, (several days now).

Well I'm looking forward to my PM, my thread has already inspired some other expats to PM me with some, shall we say, interesting ideas and propositions. Although if Stevo is taking days to compose his message, I'm sure it will stand out from the rest :applause:

mediashark
18-06-2010, 13:06
Funny you asked about it... I have since left Russia, but have Russian friends back home here. The other day we went out for dinner, and I didn't bring a date. My friends were shocked, "Why did you come along? I thought you married a Russian dude?"

"Not anymore."

"Oh," she says, turning to the others, "We can introduce some Russian guys to her!"
So they set me up for a date that very evenining, thinking that my prerequisite was that the guy should be Russian.

The guy was seriously bad in bed. I think I'd be put off by subsequent matchmaking services by Russian friends for quite some time...

AMonk
21-06-2010, 03:54
AussieinMoscow, you might want to "remind" your employers that, if you do find a man, you won't be working for them any more;:nono: you'll be far too busy taking care of him and his needs.:inlove: :p

Jack17
24-06-2010, 18:14
OK I'm a candidate
. . .and you speak English.

AussieinMoscow
24-06-2010, 18:17
. . .and you speak English.

Until I came to Russia I didn't ever think that that was an important factor. Oh how we take things for granted!

Jack17
24-06-2010, 18:32
Until I came to Russia I didn't ever think that that was an important factor. Oh how we take things for granted!
Has GaNozri PM'ed you yet? If you two go out, please tell us what it was like - if you can.

AussieinMoscow
24-06-2010, 19:12
Has GaNozri PM'ed you yet? If you two go out, please tell us what it was like - if you can.

No he hasn't, was he meant to? I think he was just stating that he is sexy, rich and nice (I think that was the three qualities?).
Are you now trying to set me up Jack?

Jack17
24-06-2010, 19:26
No he hasn't, was he meant to? I think he was just stating that he is sexy, rich and nice (I think that was the three qualities?).
Are you now trying to set me up Jack?
Yes frankly, with me. I can't think of anyone more appealing than an Australian nanny. Please consider San Diego for your next position - no language problems here. I'll be happy to "take a walk" with you anytime.

AussieinMoscow
24-06-2010, 19:40
Yes frankly, with me. I can't think of anyone more appealing than an Australian nanny. Please consider San Diego for your next position - no language problems here. I'll be happy to "take a walk" with you anytime.

Aww thanks Jack! :o
I was just offered a rather appealing job in New York, thats kinda close to San Diego, right?

Jack17
24-06-2010, 19:48
Aww thanks Jack! :o
I was just offered a rather appealing job in New York, thats kinda close to San Diego, right?
A "walk" in Central Park - nothing better! Actually, New York is the city that reminds me most of Moskva. Let us know what you think when you get there. New Yorkers smile just slightly more than Moskvich. And if on some days you miss Moskva, you can always take the C train to Brighton Beach.

davilan
25-06-2010, 19:59
where in New York? If you mean NY City-that's my town. Moscow and San Diego dream about being like New York...

Matt24
25-06-2010, 20:34
where in New York? If you mean NY City-that's my town. Moscow and San Diego dream about being like New York...

In fairness San Diego dreams of being Reykavik, it ain't exactly party central - NYC on the other hand can even give Belfast a run for it's money - yeah everyone should live in New York @ least once.

Jack17
25-06-2010, 20:44
Only for Vals and Posers Bro.

AussieinMoscow
25-06-2010, 21:17
I don't know if I'll accept the job yet, but it's in Manhattan. I'd like to go there just to experience New York. Like Matt said I think it should be, or probably is, on everyones to-do list. I have some pretty good jobs being offered in other places though. I also might just stay in Moscow a bit longer. Hmmm decisions, decisions!

Natalia HH
25-06-2010, 21:22
Funny!

Tell them you only date Oligarchs. Then, if they manage to find you one - who cares if he doesn't speak English?

best advise! :fridaysign:

nbogaard
26-06-2010, 19:18

I don't think that SD even aspires to NYC. It would be a completely unrealistic goal. Moscow, on the other hand....

AussieinMoscow
27-06-2010, 12:14
I don't think that SD even aspires to NYC. It would be a completely unrealistic goal. Moscow, on the other hand....

I don't know anything about San Diego, except one of my favourite movies was made there. I think New York and Moscow would have a fair bit in common. New York is the city that never sleeps....I don't think Moscow ever sleeps either! :celebrate:

tvadim133
27-06-2010, 12:28

I do not think, that Moscow has a goal like that (to be compared or to be alike NY).

For what and why?

Though sure, Megapolises have a lot of things in common like prices, clubs, theatres, property issues in the centre, traffic jams, business environment, huge ammount of different people, cultural points, pride and arrogance.

IvaKs
27-06-2010, 13:14
Wow, you guys have some interesting ideas!
Unfortunately I can't use some.
I can't say I have a soul mate or I've found the love of my life, what if they ask him over for dinner? Plus I am a very bad liar.
Matt, I love your idea, unfortunately I'm not that bold (although I wish I was!).
GaNozri, if I said I was a lesbian, what if they started to set me up with women!? That would be even more awkward!
And nbogaard, I like your idea, and will potentially use it in future jobs if I'm unhappy with the family. But I think that could get me sent home rather soon and I'd like to stay here until September.

But isn't he bored himself with those awkward silent talks? Any man would like to know a woman better, by her lifestories...or he is just a typical russian man, who likes a woman to shut up))

AussieinMoscow
27-06-2010, 13:29
But isn't he bored himself with those awkward silent talks? Any man would like to know a woman better, by her lifestories...or he is just a typical russian man, who likes a woman to shut up))

My thoughts exactly IvaKs! I really don't think it is enjoyable for either of us. These guys are really nice and polite, and they do talk to me, but it's in Russian, I think we just talk in our own languages to fill in the silence!