PDA

View Full Version : Flatshare or live on my own?

xpucu
15-06-2010, 14:46
I am moving to Moscow in September and have just started looking at housing options. I can more than comfortably afford to rent on my own in the city centre, so money is not an issue. I was looking at anything between Ohotnii Ryiad/Tverskaya/Arbatskaya so I can walk to the office.

At the same time I think I rather have a flatmate as I am new to Moscow and don't know many people so that will be a good way to have someone to share the experience with. The problem is - I don't know anyone and I am not sure how to go about finding someone I can live with. I think at least in the beginning I will be comfortable sharing only with another expat. I speak some Russian but it's not completely up to scratch, and I'd want home to be the one place I can escape cultural misunderstanding and language barrier issues at least as I first settle in.

Anyone faced this issue before? Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated

Judge
15-06-2010, 14:57
Hi,a a good priced central shared room was posted here http://www.expat.ru/forum/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=8678
the other day,worth checking out..

In your new job you will meet new people and will have the chance to mix with expats and locals,if that works out then you could get your own flat when your circle of friends grow...To meet expats/Russians, check out the local events section for meet ups,there's something on nearly everyday..

tasel
15-06-2010, 15:41
Hi Xpucu, welcome to Moscow.

tvadim133
15-06-2010, 16:27
I am moving to Moscow in September and have just started looking at housing options. I can more than comfortably afford to rent on my own in the city centre, so money is not an issue. I was looking at anything between Ohotnii Ryiad/Tverskaya/Arbatskaya so I can walk to the office.

At the same time I think I rather have a flatmate as I am new to Moscow and don't know many people so that will be a good way to have someone to share the experience with. The problem is - I don't know anyone and I am not sure how to go about finding someone I can live with. I think at least in the beginning I will be comfortable sharing only with another expat. I speak some Russian but it's not completely up to scratch, and I'd want home to be the one place I can escape cultural misunderstanding and language barrier issues at least as I first settle in.

Anyone faced this issue before? Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated

In order to mix up with people there is no need to have a roomate for that..

Your colegues and even people here can help with recommendations, advices and so on if you need in future.

as for renting in the centre, be aware that it is quite comfortable from the point of view of walking distance to your office and main clubs, but there will be a problem with regular shopping (food stores).

I would rent smth close to the centre but 2-3 Metro stops from your office (it is 10 minutes). It makes sence.

I personaly think, that it is worth renting alone (if you can afford it).

dontcallme
15-06-2010, 16:35
If you can afford to live on your own then I'd suggest that you do that at the beginning. Living with other people is difficult and something people should put more thought into in my opinion.

I'd say find your own place and if you meet someone and feel you could happily live together then go for it. I know a lot of people who had real trouble settling in because of problems with flatmates.

xpucu
15-06-2010, 21:29
thanks. in terms of food stores someone mentioned might be an issue if living in the complete centre, do you guys have a few names of supermarket chains so i can check out where they have stores on their websites?

thanks

tvadim133
15-06-2010, 21:36
thanks. in terms of food stores someone mentioned might be an issue if living in the complete centre, do you guys have a few names of supermarket chains so i can check out where they have stores on their websites?

thanks

Azbuka Vkusa (Азбука Вкуса)- expensive
Perekryostok (Перекресток) -
Viktoriya (Виктория)
Magnit (Магнит)
Auchan (Ашан)
Metro C&C
Copeyka (Копейка) - discount
Billa

xpucu
15-06-2010, 21:49
wow that was quick. thanks

Desert Addict
16-06-2010, 00:12
also based on my experience (expat on my own in 3th country) alone is better. room mate is there every day and being alone you can invite (and kick out) who you want. Meeting new people is easy. Just join things you like doing... similar people are there (and I can assure you being the only non-russion speaking in a sportsclub can be fun:)

GaNozri
16-06-2010, 01:39
Roommates suck! Esp. if you've got to sleep with them.

Go on your own. As soon as you see a foreign toothbrush in your bathroom - start pannicking!!!!