PDA

View Full Version : The Kremlin (museum)

Fairy Cake
21-04-2005, 14:43
Does anyone know, is it possible for a foreigner to go to the Kremlin on his own? Or is it a must to hire a guide?

And how does the Kremlin works these days...? Has nothing changed because of the coming holidays?

Oh... and Lenin... what are his visiting days and hours?

gregs
21-04-2005, 18:22
Lenin doesn't visit anymore ...sadly he passed away some time ago :)

Benedikt
21-04-2005, 18:59
..hi there,
forget everything during the may holidays, more or less the inner city will be closed, even the locals who live there will have a hard time to get home...
you can go to the kremlin on your own, but if you don't speak russian very well ( and look like one...) YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOREIGNER PRICES,
this is more or less what the locals pay in rubles you pay in $$$$$$..note also that the inner sanctum... museum / diamond fund, has certain times / sessions and they sell tickets for these times. it might be easier to go through / with partriarchy (sp?) tours, they offer their services, takes out all the hassles and problems.
or of course you have a russian friend and he/ she will buy the tickets and you go together.
but believe me, it is worth all the hassles and make sure to see the diamonf fund, and think just ONCE i want to did in my hands into that heap of diamonds ( i was there a few times...)

Fairy Cake
21-04-2005, 23:56
Well... actually I am russian. I'm just collecting the information for some friends of mine.

And now about those parade rehearsals? Is everything closed on those days? Even no pedestrians in the center?

Biscuitik you've got to know this!! I hope you are reading us!

Benedikt
22-04-2005, 11:58
..check out yesterdays or before yesterdays moscow times,
all the dates / times were there. whe nthe center and sourrounding streets also tverskaya, tverskoi are closed...

Fairy Cake
22-04-2005, 12:12
Thank you... but in The Moscow Times there's only the inforation about the rehersals past by now...

Has anyone passed Red Square Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or today in the morning? Can one easily go there?
Is it possible to come and see the rehearsal? How close is it possible to come?

RIKO
23-04-2005, 10:17
Oh... and Lenin... what are his visiting days and hours?A couple of weeks ago I was told that Lenin had gone off for his annual wash and wax. I cannot recall but I seem to remember the guards said he'd be back around the end of April.

plastique
24-04-2005, 23:51
Lenin is back from his rewaxing...had a friend visit him yesterday

Fairy Cake
24-04-2005, 23:59
Thank you, pastique

littlejohn
27-04-2005, 10:05
There is a tour you can do around the Kremlin which goes into the non-public areas. I went on it a few years ago and is was fantastic. It is expensive (around $500 per group), but you get to see some of the different Tsars private areas, not to mention the throne rooms.