PDA

View Full Version : Customs Duties for US Citizens

barmaley13
01-10-2003, 22:37
Customs Duties for US Citizens

I am shipping my stuff from NY to Moscow. Am I, as a US citizen, required to pay any customs duties, and if yes, can anyone recommend a good custom broker?

Thanks

nsuprun
16-10-2003, 12:51
When I moved to Moscow I was told that if I brought in items for my own personal use there would be no custom duty on them. I brought in 6 large suitcases of my personal items and had no problems at the airport and paid no fees. I brought in clothes, tools, sport equipment, books, tapes, advil ( you will certainly need a lot of that in Russia ), etc.
Good luck

Bo Selecta!
16-10-2003, 18:01
What is advil? And why do I need a lot of it?

Broadmoor Bob
16-10-2003, 18:04
Originally posted by Bo Selecta!
What is advil? And why do I need a lot of it?

Advil is ibuprofen. No need to bring any from abroad. It is available here in all strengths, and brands include the familiar Nurofen.

Intourist
23-10-2003, 09:46
Originally posted by barmaley13
Customs Duties for US Citizens

I am shipping my stuff from NY to Moscow. Am I, as a US citizen, required to pay any customs duties, and if yes, can anyone recommend a good custom broker?

Thanks

If you're shipping it separately, I would advise having someone help you meet it. While personal belongings not for resale shipped separately are not subject to customs duties, the customs agents at the Sheremetevo cargo terminal are theives.

I shipped stuff here from B'more in 97 and met it myself with a Russian friend and borrowed truck. My 800kg container was inspected by customs after which I was asked, "how do you want to pay for that ?" before hearing that I owed 7$/kg. For that price I could have shipped it back to the US.

After crawling all over the cargo terminal, I found the customs "nachalnik smena" (Shift Boss) and began asking what the deal was. He look vaguely concerned, but asked if my cargo was personal belongings (which was obvious as the B/L stated so), and then stamped it saying there must have been a misunderstanding, and that I didn't owe anything.

Quite obviously, the regular agents were looking to deceive me in the hopes of a rather large pay-off, and if I hadn't had a Russian friend and spoken decent Russian myself, it would have been very difficult to clear my cargo.

Take it for what it's worth, but I've heard lots of other people confirm that the cargo terminal is as crooked (even today) as they come.

Regards,
Intour