PDA

View Full Version : Moscow car rental

Yahyoh
09-06-2010, 16:16
hi Every one
I am going to Moscow in a business trip next September, and I am going to spend 8 days there, so I am wondering if any one have any recommendation on a car rental agency that I could rent car from in decent price, also what is your recommendation on driving in Moscow

Thanks,

Yehia

moscowbob
12-06-2010, 08:55
Unless you really need a car... don't rent one. Traffic is appalling, road signs in cyrillic language only, parking impossible. You will waste half of each day by having a car.

Taxis are available either from your Hotel (quite expensive) or simply by flagging a car down on the street (cheap), the Metro is excellent and much faster than driving.

tvadim133
12-06-2010, 10:35
Good advice!

rushan
13-06-2010, 11:18
September is quite busy month. Everyone gets back from holiday and heavy traffic starts.

Exciter
15-06-2010, 15:51
While all of the above (badass trafic, scarce parking unfamiliar road signs and... oh yeah BTW - weird placement of street-lughts) is somewhat true... I (personally) TOTALLY LOVE!!!! DRIVING IN MOSCOW! LOVE IT!!! It is an adventure... And a reasonably safe one for an expirienced international driver (unlike lez say Cairo or New Delhi)... It is totally up to you in the end... If you are a car-buff like myself or (just like me believing that humans live above the ground LOL!!!) simply refuse to go underground unless it's an air-raid there are Hertz, Sixt and other rent-a-car booths right at the airport. Booking upfront with decent travel agent WILL SAVE YOU $! But you still can haggle or at least get some free upgrades right at the booth. Traffic-jams in Moscow are NOT NEARLY as bad as in Taipei, Tokyo or even Paris and Rome! Finding parking spot is NOT NEARLY as bad as in New York and when you do IT IS CHEAP (often times FREE) unlike Paris or Amsterdam or even Helsinki! And if you don't get emotional or succumb to road rage - being stuck in traffic - gives you an unsual and quite a pleasant chance to look around or do some people watching. Drivers in Moscow just like everywhere else tend to do some funny shit in their cars mistakingly thinking that no one is watching. September is one of the most beautiful times to visit Moscow. They get Indian Summers that are stunningly beautiful! So all things considered I would say GO FOR IT! It's worth it!

Michael0512
23-06-2010, 10:15
does anyone know: whats the minimum age for obtaining a rental car? is it 21+surcharges or at least 25 (below you dont get a car)? (cause I am 22)