PDA

View Full Version : Nothing About the Latvian President...

GMax
15-04-2005, 02:26
Nothing About the Latvian President...

quincy
17-04-2005, 19:46
I read somewhere that many of the WWII massacres in Russia and Belarus were carried out by Latvian and Estonian SS regiments. Anyone agree/disagree?

koba65
26-04-2005, 01:47
Sounds like a bit of wishful thinking actually. I'm sure there were some Balts involved, but the Germans had plenty of their own SS who were able to carry it out. Plus, there were Belarusians and Ukrainians playing footsies with the Nazis as well.

quincy
26-04-2005, 03:32
Sounds like a bit of wishful thinking actually. I'm sure there were some Balts involved, but the Germans had plenty of their own SS who were able to carry it out. Plus, there were Belarusians and Ukrainians playing footsies with the Nazis as well.

Don't forget collaborators did all the dirty work in Lithuania and Latvia. If it wasn't for collaborators, probably far fewer Jews would have died. Minsk and Vilnius used to be 40% Jewish. Nazis had a the war to fight Latvian, Esonian etc regiments had a useful role inside the Soviet Union

Chubby Hubby
26-04-2005, 12:43
I read somewhere that many of the WWII massacres in Russia and Belarus were carried out by Latvian and Estonian SS regiments. Anyone agree/disagree?

Yeah - 150 k Latvians fought for the Waffen SS! As much as I love Latvia and want to rush to its defense, I'm going to have to side against the Nazis on this one - all of my grandparents were involved in the allied war effort - my grandmothers built Corsairs and my grandfather fought in the Battle of the Bulge. My other grandpa was a chemical engineer in Ohio so they told him he didn't have to enlist.

During the war Waffen Schutzstaffel (Waffen SS) formed two divisions consisting of Latvian volunteers the 15th and 19th Waffen Grenadier Divisions. At the peak of its power the SS grew from four all-German divisions to 41 divisions numbering 900,000 members from all occupied countries, including more than 150,000 volunteers from Latvia - the biggest contribution of SS volunteers of any nation occupied by Germany.

from http://www.aeronautics.ru/archive/wwii/baltic_nazis/latvia/index2.htm

koba65
26-04-2005, 19:55
Don't forget collaborators did all the dirty work in Lithuania and Latvia. If it wasn't for collaborators, probably far fewer Jews would have died. Minsk and Vilnius used to be 40% Jewish. Nazis had a the war to fight Latvian, Esonian etc regiments had a useful role inside the Soviet Union

Yes the Jews in the Baltics got screwed, not once, not twice, but thrice. When the Sovs occupied them prior to WWII they were repressed, the Nazis killed them during WWII, after Sovs reoccupied them they were repressed again.

If you ever get a chance, visit the Jewish War Veterans Museum in Riga. It's fascinating.

GMax
27-04-2005, 14:25
Koba65, you are right. But only Germans and their Latvian SS commands killed Jews only because they were Jews.

Shatneresque
27-04-2005, 14:34
Germans and their Latvian SS commands killed Jews only because they were Jews.
And what excuse did the Communists have...?

koba65
27-04-2005, 20:52
And what excuse did the Communists have...?

That they were Zionists....

Ned Kelly
29-04-2005, 13:51
i like visiting the baltic states but their history is atrocious.

the latvians particularly suck. it was their troops that saved lenin (so they shouldn't cry about 1940 when they pulled the regime from the fire). the lithuanians are no better: has anyone seen the pictures of lithuanians literally dancing on piles of vilnius jews after their slaughter by locals?

the soviet union repressed everyone in the baltics, not just jews. the baltic population are murderous anti-semites who have no shame - cheering their veterans in nazi uniforms rather than hanging their heads. it's a bloody disgrace!

Chubby Hubby
08-05-2005, 10:26
So, on the whole, do you think that Latvia is better off with a Russian minority than it was with a Jewish minority? I can't imagine a gang of Jewish thugs robbing me or Jews passed out, bottle in hand, on the streets of Riga, but then again Russians are more likely to have blonde hair and blue eyes. I might move to Riga, given that taxes are low, the architecture is nice, and the people are among the most attractive in Europe. My guess is that most of the Russians will leave once the EU lets them take off for London, Paris, Barcelona and all of the other magic names you find in a Kuda.ru brochure.

Ned Kelly
08-05-2005, 10:32
i couldn't really give a toss. i just think the latvians should stop carping about the violations of their rights 60 years ago while goose-stepping around in germany's finest tailory.

Chubby Hubby
08-05-2005, 10:44
I'm not afraid of tiny fascist states. They remind me of angry little dogs.