PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop - Operating Language

davidhuckin
05-06-2010, 16:19
I am thinking of buying a new laptop here in moscow.... currently i use my UK work laptop, but i would like to have something for more personel use.. If i buy laptop here can i change the operating language to English?? Regards

David:question:

mattology
05-06-2010, 19:12
If you buy a Windows laptop, they are all equipped with Windows 7 in the meantime. Just need to find out, if Windows 7 supports a change of language out of the box. I know that for Windows Vista this was only the case for the Ultimate (and most expensive) version.

If you go for a Mac, you can change the language without any problems.

Just remember that the keys will have the Cyrillic alphabet in addition to the Latin one. Some people may not like that.

FatAndy
05-06-2010, 20:35
The same for W7 - only Ultimate supports multi-lingual interface. Other versions preinstalled at laptops for Russian federation are in Russian by default.

FlakeySnowballer
05-06-2010, 22:06
I am thinking of buying a new laptop here in moscow.... currently i use my UK work laptop, but i would like to have something for more personel use.. If i buy laptop here can i change the operating language to English?? Regards

Try nix.ru. They suggest multi-language PC

Monti
11-06-2010, 04:49
If you buy a laptop in Russia with the Microsoft OS its gonna be in Russian unless you buy one with Windows 7 Ultimate....(such models are pretty expensive) The Ultimate version gives you the option of downloading additional language packs and you can convert the Russian interface into English or any other language you want.
Make sure the company you buy the laptop provides you with all the drivers on a seperate CD.
I'll be glad to help you install an english OS on your machine....I've bought 4 laptops in past few years in Moscow and was in the same position u are.PM me if u need more advice.

Benedikt
11-06-2010, 11:37

so i do not say you should do it..:rules:... if you are working on a company computer where legality will be an issue, but if you are not willing to increase bill gates's wealth, there is always the SAVELOVSKY:hooray: solution. this is a huge computer market and sells everything, from legal to not so legal.
and while the guys there hardly speak any english 'windows 7' they all understand.
400 rubles for 15 versions, that is from Windows 7 to Windows 7 ultimate in both russian and english languages .:hooray:
this is just for information purposes, i am often there and want to be informed what is going on...(I have a MAC :hooray:and do not need windows,even that i am also working with office for MAC, suppose both CEO's went for a compromise).

Remington
11-06-2010, 11:50
You have to be careful with buying pirated Windows. They're tampered to circumvent activation technology and Microsoft is having success in disabling Windows if loaders are detected. You can buy it now and it may work for few months until Microsoft find a way to disable it.

Don't forget about the viruses since most Windows are custom-made and burned to regular disc so they're not always virus-proof.

FatAndy
11-06-2010, 12:43
You can buy it now and it may work for few months until Microsoft find a way to disable it. - then wait a couple of days and brave Chinese or Russian hackers will drill new hole ;)

most Windows are custom-made and burned to regular disc so they're not always virus-proof. - this problem can appear not only with illegal software. There were some incidents with leading laptop and xHDD makers who issued infected products to market too.

davidhuckin
09-07-2010, 17:41
So i now have new laptop with W7 Ultimate the operating language has been changed to english however microsoft office which is what i mostly need it for is still in russian?? HELP PLEASE

Benedikt
09-07-2010, 19:43
So i now have new laptop with W7 Ultimate the operating language has been changed to english however microsoft office which is what i mostly need it for is still in russian?? HELP PLEASE

but Bill Gates thinks we are in Russia all computers and programs have ti run with Russian language.Or if you want something in english you pay through your nose. There is of course the Savelovsky Computer Market solution, but not recommended if you are working on a company computer.:eek: then the boss should fork out for the program. Otherwise have a look there, and take some 500 rubles, that's all you need. (for coke and a burger of course, i would never suggest:neiner: that you buy a counterfeit program).
another solution, i will be in Austria in 10 days, but as i know Microsoft all the computers there run in German language only....

davidhuckin
09-07-2010, 20:43
Money not an issue just need the solution ? Thanks David

RydeR
09-07-2010, 21:39
Money not an issue just need the solution ? Thanks David

If money is not an Issue then simply pay for a legal version of Microsoft Office in English.

Try, contacting deeline.ru I used to order Legal windows from them so they may
have office also. If I remember correct there is a guy called Maximus "Maxim" who speaks a little English.

Good luck.:fridaysign:

martpark
09-07-2010, 22:14
I bought a laptop in Gorbushka last year and asked for the OS(Windows Vista) in English. They obliged and told me the start up would still appear in Russian and some bundled software, such as MS Office but everything has been fine.

martpark
09-07-2010, 22:16

Download Open Office for free. Works the same. Just save in Windows type files.

vox16
11-07-2010, 00:30

Isn't bundled Office a 60-day trial anyway? And if you buy it later, then yes, price for English version is usually higher than for the Russian one. Especially for 'home and student' version.

Nobbynumbnuts
11-07-2010, 07:47
You have to be careful with buying pirated Windows. They're tampered to circumvent activation technology and Microsoft is having success in disabling Windows if loaders are detected. You can buy it now and it may work for few months until Microsoft find a way to disable it.

Don't forget about the viruses since most Windows are custom-made and burned to regular disc so they're not always virus-proof.

I had a knock-off version of Windows XP Professional for a while. Worked well for a year or so then windows 'detected' it. They never disabled it but installed annoying pop-ups that constantly reminded me that my version it was a pirated.
A pain in the butt!