View Full Version : World Cup 2010

is4fun
27-05-2010, 23:23
Who's the favorite to win?

Any guesses?

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/teams/index.html

Judge
27-05-2010, 23:27
The bookies favourite are Spain and Brazil.I'll be putting a few roubles on an England win.

tsarski
27-05-2010, 23:29
The usual suspects I think are always the favourites, Brazil, Spain, Germany. Don't know as I don't follow football, only from what I hear about it the lads are talking about it at work and that is most of the time!

Shall I be brave and say England?:yikes:

is4fun
27-05-2010, 23:37
The bookies favourite are Spain and Brazil.I'll be putting a few roubles on an England win.

What are the odds? Any idea? Will they make it to the quarters, Semi's or finals?

is4fun
27-05-2010, 23:39
The usual suspects I think are always the favourites, Brazil, Spain, Germany. Don't know as I don't follow football, only from what I hear about it the lads are talking about it at work and that is most of the time!

I like Spain also.

tsarski
27-05-2010, 23:41
I like Spain also.

Do you know if Torres is fit? Will he play? I've also heard Portugal being passed about in the media. They normally make the semis?

Judge
27-05-2010, 23:50
What are the odds? Any idea? Will they make it to the quarters, Semi's or finals?

Odds can be found here.

http://world-cup.betting-directory.com/
You can see the odds fto reach the QF and SF.

Most of the top European nations will get through the group stage..Spain,Portugal, Italy, Germany,Holland and England.The top two teams from South America, Brazil and Argentine will make it to the knockout stages.

Judge
27-05-2010, 23:50
Torres is going to play.

tsarski
27-05-2010, 23:55

Not a betting man myself but I'll be supporting England to win this time round.

is4fun
27-05-2010, 23:59
Odds can be found here.

http://world-cup.betting-directory.com/
You can see the odds fto reach the QF and SF.

Most of the top European nations will get through the group stage..Spain,Portugal, Italy, Germany,Holland and England.The top two teams from South America, Brazil and Argentine will make it to the knockout stages.

Good link. Gotta read more.. :) Seems England is a second favorite on this site?

Judge
28-05-2010, 00:02
Not a betting man myself but I'll be supporting England to win this time round.

I hope England gives us something to cheer about at the WC..It's been 4 years since the last tourny..I don't want to even think how long it's been since England won something..

tsarski
28-05-2010, 00:05
I hope England gives us something to cheer about at the WC..It's been 4 years since the last tourny..I don't want to even think how long it's been since England won something..

England just won the 20/20 World cup the other week! Cheer up and it was against Australia in the final!
However, you right in a sense that they always seem to make a mare of it everytime we thought they were doing to do IT this year... remember Henman hill?

is4fun
28-05-2010, 00:08
Good link. Gotta read more.. :) Seems England is a second favorite on this site?

Brazil seems to be a second on other betting sites...

Judge
28-05-2010, 00:12

To get to the QF's England are 2nd fav but to win they are 3rd.

A team like Portugal(28/1 ) look worth backing, if Ronaldo performs they have a good chance of winning it.I think i'll put 10 euros on a Portugal win..

Judge
28-05-2010, 00:19
If you want to win big, place a few euros on North Korea..odds 2000/1:applause::applause:

is4fun
28-05-2010, 00:21
If you want to win big, place a few euros on North Korea..odds 2000/1:applause::applause:

I get this feeling many of them will end up trying to defect to SA.

Judge
28-05-2010, 00:34
I get this feeling many of them will end up trying to defect to SA.

I wonder what the odds on that will be.:)

romthink
28-05-2010, 21:13
Ronaldo is the best

pjw
07-06-2010, 18:29
Here are the top 7 scorer tips and countries of origin.

Villa, D (Spain)
Messi, L (Argentina)
Rooney, W (England)
Fabiano, L (Brazil)
Torres, F (Spain)
Higuain, G (Argentina)
Ronaldo, C (Portugal)

And order of top countries.

Spain
Brazil
England
Argentina
Holland
Germany
Italy
France
Portugal
Ivory Coast
Serbia
Chile
USA
Mexico
Paraguay
Cameroon
Ghana
Uruguay
Australia
Nigeria
Denmark
South Africa
Greece
South Korea
Switzerland
Slovakia
Slovenia
Algeria
Japan
Honduras
North Korea
New Zealand

This is bad news for Australia because this puts us as 4th in our group, but I'd be really disappointed by this. I firmly believe the Ozzies have got big shock power and can roll some big teams if we catch them by surprise! I've been waiting around 4 years for this tournament.

It's always interesting to see who will dominate a tournament, who will perform, like Maradonna or Schillachi, Beckenbauer or Cruyff. I think Rooney could play a star role. Or Messi or some Spaniard. Or which team will fire up and upset the top dogs. It's going to be so entertaining.

http://world-cup.betting-directory.com/odds.php

Max77
08-06-2010, 10:58
I'll try to follow US team for I've been very impressed with how they performed in FIFA's Confederation Cup. They are no favorites though... :7525:

Larry Paradine
16-06-2010, 22:55
Usually I have no interest in soccer, but I have to confess to a sensation of national humiliation when my country's team is held to a draw by a team of tyros from the rebellious American colonies. George 111 must be turning in his grave! Worse is to come, the glory days of 1966 are long gone! Nor should those forum members from the old white Commonwealth hold their breaths for their national soccer teams (and the same goes for fans of the French Republic). However, I'd like to make a plea to soccer loving members not to switch off the box and turn your faces to the wall in despair when your defeated players trudge despondently back to the showers. Please switch your allegiance and support to a team whose country desperately needs the morale boosting effect of at least one win, even if its ultimate fate is elimination in, or before, the quarter finals: South Africa. The Rainbow Nation has had a depressing first decade of the 21st century; the post apartheid euphoria evaporated and was replaced by the harsh reality of third world poverty with all the attendant evils of crime, drug addiction and AIDS, the Mandela presidency was succeeded by a coterie of machine politicians and the country's international status sank almost to the level of some of the banana republics of Central Africa and America. It's a country with enormous potential and could be a beacon of hope for all the have not states of the world, but its people need to regain some of the pride and optimism they felt twenty years ago, and a decent showing in the contest being held on their own turf could do wonders for them and their country.

Bels
16-06-2010, 23:09
Germany has been thrashed by England , and have never been the since. Do you want me to show you a video clip, as it is easy to find. So Germany a big no.

Don't underestimate England. Only a matter of part luck, so let us say England has had their bad luck early. A very good sign I say. I also think USA will do much better than the world predicts. Let us wait and see. Whatever happens the expert critics are going to get it wrong for this World cup, I predict this World Cup is going to be full of shock and surprises. In fact I am going for England to win the World Cup. And perhaps USA in the finals.

Max77
17-06-2010, 09:18
...perhaps USA in the finals.

How do you like this pair in the final:
USA - Switzerland

:Loco:

Darya Alexandrovna
17-06-2010, 10:05
How do you like this pair in the final:
USA - Switzerland

:Loco:

:9456:
:yuk:

What I see is so diappointing. I expected something more thrilling and exciting.
This time surprises come from very unexpected directions.

:10168:

andymackem
17-06-2010, 15:55
Germany has been thrashed by England , and have never been the since. Do you want me to show you a video clip, as it is easy to find. So Germany a big no.

You're referring to the 5-1 win in Munich in 2001, during qualification for the World Cup in Japan and Korea?

But surely in the Far East Germany got to the final, and England went out in the quarter finals.

Then in 2006 Germany reached the semis and England were in the quarters again.

Finally in Euro 2008 Germany were runners-up and England weren't actually in the tournament.

To be fair though, in 2004 Germany failed at the group stage of the Euros while England reached their traditional quarter-final and lost.

History tells us, with rare exceptions, that since 1954 Germany will always be a contender in a tournament. It also tells us, with rare exceptions, that England won't generally get past the quarter finals when they usually encounter their first top-level opposition. One big win nine years ago won't change that.

Bels
18-06-2010, 23:15
It looks like Germany, France and Spain are not looking good in the world cup. LoL! Germany v Serbia. Spain v Switzerland. And france!! Well. The only reliables top rated are Brazil and Argentina. For England we don't know yet , but looking at them at them now, not impressive for England. I think they will bea them, but the first half looks messy for England.

andymackem
19-06-2010, 10:13
It looks like Germany, France and Spain are not looking good in the world cup. LoL! Germany v Serbia. Spain v Switzerland. And france!! Well. The only reliables top rated are Brazil and Argentina. For England we don't know yet , but looking at them at them now, not impressive for England. I think they will bea them, but the first half looks messy for England.

And the second half was no improvement at all. At least Germany and Spain looked capable of scoring even in defeat. England could have played until Christmas without getting a goal. Against Algeria. 'Nuff said.

Judge
24-06-2010, 15:51
Well done to America for topping their group and avoiding Germany..Great game of football yesterday could have easily been 4- 5 goals in their favour.

Judge
24-06-2010, 15:58
Keep it up Beckenbauer, more kind words like this from 'der Kaiser' will see England even more motivated.

Not that England need motivating when it comes to playing Zee Germans...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2010/article-1289193/WORLD-CUP-2010-Stupid-England-match-fighting-fit-Germany-claims-Franz-Beckenbauer.html

andymackem
25-06-2010, 14:18
Never mind the football, what about the political posturing?

http://www.mn.ru/sports/20100625/187894490.html

Why North Korea should have a replay against Portugal on ideological grounds :)

IGIT
25-06-2010, 14:21
Go St Kitts and Nevis!!!
:fridaysign: