PDA

View Full Version : Ethiopian language

Insane Squeezer
07-04-2005, 07:31
My wife and me are sitting in a Second Cup on Young Street, Toronto, next to a dark-skinned lady busy typing on her laptop. We are chatting in Russian, and that girl suddenly turns toward us and asks:

- Sorry, guys, are you speaking Russian?

We are stunned: Do you understand Russian?

-No, - she replies, - I just hear you are speaking some non-European language and you are white. So I supposed you should speak Russian. I love the things Russian, it is my dream to visit Russia. And I hate the things English; English colonized the world and made it to their own measure. I love Russians because they hate English imperialism too.

- Are you sure all the Russians hate the things English?

- Certainly! Stalin fought against British and American imperialists.

- Are you convinced that most of the Russian people still love Stalin?

- Don't they? Aren't you Jewish then, by the way?

- No, I am Christian.

- And your wife, isn't she Jewish?

- No, I am Russian,- Julia replies.

- Hmmm,- the dark lady grumps. - I was 100% convinced all Russian people must love Stalin because he fought against British and American imperialists and oppressed the Jews.

- And where are YOU from? - I counter-attack.

- I am from Ethiopia but I left it 25 years ago, when the Soviets overthrew the king and introduced pro-Moscow regime there.

- Sorry, and you are nevertheless convinced that Soviet imperialism was the better choice for the Third World than the Western one? How could we communicate now unless English people spread their language around the world?

- Absolutely convinced, because Soviets fought against English.

Period.

Ned Kelly
07-04-2005, 09:25
the old christian swinger!

a lot of Russians do still support stalin and he did hate the english and repress the jews. i think the ethiopian woman had more idea than you, though given you have no idea that's not saying much!

Eye Opener
07-04-2005, 12:51
And after expecting the lady to know (and share!) your views, it remains to be seen, what do you know about Ethiopeans and their history? What civilization do they belong to? Are they Christian or Muslem (and of what denomination)? Who is, afterall more ignorant?

Shatneresque
07-04-2005, 13:09
Many (most, if not all?) Ethiopians belong to their own Christian church, one of the oldest (if not the oldest) in the world. As I recall, Haile Salassie, the last Ethiopian Emperor, claimed descent from King David, and the national symbol is the Lion of Judah. Ethiopia's supposedly the place where King Solomon's mines were located, too...

Eye Opener
07-04-2005, 15:26
Originally posted by Shatneresque
Many (most, if not all?) Ethiopians belong to their own Christian church, one of the oldest (if not the oldest) in the world. As I recall, Haile Salassie, the last Ethiopian Emperor, claimed descent from King David, and the national symbol is the Lion of Judah. Ethiopia's supposedly the place where King Solomon's mines were located, too...

Their denomination is one of the Non-Chalcedonian Orthodox
Churches, to which Coptic, Armenian, Syrian Apotstolic Churches also belong. They are united by their non-acceptance of the reforms imposted on other churches at the Chalcedonian summit by the Emperor Marcian (see more at http://www.coptic.net/articles/MonophysitismReconsidered.txt)...
By virtue of this, they represent churches, the least affected by politics.